Page 39

Third party payments for care home fees continued which charges a higher fee, the difference between the two amounts has to be paid by a third party. Third party payments are sometimes referred to as ‘top-up’ payments. They are usually made by a relative, or you might get help from a charity. You are not usually allowed to pay the ‘top-up’ yourself, nor can a ‘liable relative’ pay it, that is, someone whose financial situation has been taken into account when Adult Social Care carried out your financial assessment. If you move to a care home where a third party payment is required, the person making the top-up payment on your behalf must sign a contract with Adult Social Care before the contract with the home is signed. In doing so they must confirm that they have the financial means to make the third party payments (including any future increases) for the whole time you will live at the care home. If you already live in a care home, and no third party agreement was required at the time you became a resident, the home may still seek to introduce a third party payment

at a later date. Also, if a change to your arrangements is made at your request or with your agreement, for example, if you move to a better room, then an additional third party payment can become due. It is usual for care homes to increase their fees each year. The amount that Adult Social Care can contribute to your fees may not increase at the same rate as the home fees increase. The third party part of the fee can only be increased once in any financial year (April to March) and, as a guide, the amount should never increase by more than 25% a year. You should receive at least one month’s notice that the third party payment is to increase. The person who makes the third party payment for you must sign a new contract with Adult Social Care if the amount of their payment increases. Before you sign any contract the home should give you written details of all the charges it intends to make. If there is anything that is not clear or which you do not understand, you should ask for advice.

‘Preferred Provider’ schemes East Sussex County Council has a ‘Preferred Provider’ scheme. To stay on the preferred provider list, care homes must maintain their standard of care and show that they are running their business according to the council’s standards. The council pays a higher weekly fee to these homes. If the council is paying towards your residential care it will

Abundant Grace

A luxury Nursing Home with EMI care. Located in Seaford, East Sussex

give priority to these homes when it offers you a choice of home. For information on the ‘Preferred Provider’ scheme in Brighton & Hove relating to home care providers, phone the Social Care Contracts Unit on 01273 296207. A list of home care providers contracted to this council starts on| BN25 page2JE 16. Firle Road | Seaford | East Sussex

A beautiful residence that has been designed to accommodate older people over 65 with nursing or dementia in style and extreme comfort. Abundant Grace has a great reputation for providing the highest standards of care in the most desirable personal and communal environments, a real home from home. The home offers a variety of stimulating activities that are always tailored to meet the residents interests and enjoyment; the activities and welfare team are at the heart of the home. If you are looking for nursing care either long term or for short respite stay then you should consider Abundant Grace in your shortlist.

Contact Abundant Grace on 01323 875 500 or by email or visit the website to see more SCNH_AG_Advert_Aug2014 v2.indd 1

Part of the South Coast Nursing Home Family

We recognise every person is unique

13/08/2014 11:56

Visit for further assistance with your search for care


East Sussex Brighton & Hove - Care & Support Services Directory 2013/14  

The comprehensive guide to choosing and paying for care in East Sussex including Brighton & Hove. The Directory includes information on home...