Page 37

Healthwatch Healthwatch East Sussex and Healthwatch Brighton & Hove are the new consumer organisations for health and social care in the county. They aim to provide information, refer people to relevant services, help people make informed choices, and gather the views and experience of patients and social care users.

Eastbourne Healthwatch East Sussex, 3VA, 8 Saffrons Road, Eastbourne, East Sussex BN21 1DG Tel: 01323 643304 Email: Web:

Brighton & Hove c/o Community and Voluntary Sector Forum, Brighton Junction, 1A Isetta Square, 35 New England Street, Brighton BN1 4GQ Tel: 01273 810235 Email: Web:

Hastings Healthwatch East Sussex, HVA, Jackson Hall, Portland Place, Hastings, East Sussex TN34 1QN Tel: 01323 643304 Email: Web:

Paying for care and support If you have more than £23,250 in capital or savings you will have to pay for your own care services. (This figure may change over the life of this Directory.) However, whether you are considering moving into a care home or need care in your own home, you should still ask for a social care assessment by Adult Social Care (explained on page 6). The assessment will make sure that the care you get is right for your needs. Also, if you expect your money to fall below £23,250 as a result of paying for care, Adult Social Care may then help you with the cost, provided your assessment shows that you qualify. The East Sussex Adult Social Care leaflet ‘The cost of your social care support’ and factsheet ‘Financial assessment for residential care’ tell you more about how they work out what you have to pay. If you are moving into a care home, you may be entitled to some of the following help: Twelve-week property disregard This applies if: • your former home is included in your financial assessment; • your other capital is less than £23,250; and • your income is not enough to meet your care home fees. Adult Social Care will help with the cost during the first twelve weeks of permanent care in a home, provided its assessment has shown that this is the kind of care you need. This is called the ‘property disregard’ period. Deferred payment agreements After the twelve-week property disregard period, Adult Social Care may be able to help you while your property is being sold. It will charge any financial help it gives against

the value of your home. This means it will take back the amount it has paid once your property has been sold. However, it may limit how much it will pay. It may affect your entitlement to Pension Credit if your property is not seen to be on the market and becomes treated as capital by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Attendance Allowance (for the over 65s) This is a non-means-tested, non-taxable benefit from the DWP. It’s paid at the lower rate of £54.45 a week if you need care by day or night, and at the higher rate of £81.30 a week if you need care during the day and night. Everyone who needs care can, and should, claim Attendance Allowance. NHS Nursing Care Contribution Whether you are a temporary or permanent resident, if you live in a care home that provides nursing care you may be entitled to NHS Nursing Care Contribution towards the cost. It is not means-tested and is currently £110.89 a week for the standard rate. This is paid directly to the home. What if you run out of money? If your money is likely to reduce to £23,250 as a result of paying for care, you must tell Adult Social Care well in advance that this is going to happen. It will then be able to help with your care fees (provided your social care assessment has shown that you need residential care). It will carry out a financial assessment to confirm the date from which your funds fell below £23,250, and the amount it will contribute towards your care. If the home you have chosen charges more than Adult Social Care will pay, you must find someone to pay the  >>

Visit for further assistance with your search for care


East Sussex Brighton & Hove - Care & Support Services Directory 2013/14  

The comprehensive guide to choosing and paying for care in East Sussex including Brighton & Hove. The Directory includes information on home...