Page 33

Essential information If you have a complaint If you are using a care or support service you should feel able to complain about any aspect of it that affects your happiness, comfort and well being. This applies whether you are in residential care or receiving support in your own home. Your concerns might be anything from the way you are treated by the staff to the quality of the food you are served. In residential care you should feel free to make comments and suggestions about possible improvements to your surroundings and the services provided. It should not be made difficult for you to make a complaint, or to feel that your concerns are being taken seriously. Under national essential standards of quality and safety, all care services must have a simple and easy-to-use complaints procedure. If you are concerned about the care that you, or a friend or relative, is getting from a service, it makes sense to speak to the manager of the service about your concerns before you take any further action. The problem may be resolved quite easily once they are made aware of it. However, if you feel that your concerns are not being taken seriously and nothing is being done to change things, you should first contact the registered owners of the service. (If this is not the service manager, they will give you the address to contact.) The law says that the registered

owners must respond to any complaints made. If you remain unhappy with their response you can make a complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman. Their contact details are: Local Government Ombudsman PO Box 4771, Coventry CV4 OEH Tel: 0300 061 0614 or 0845 602 1983 Email: Text: 0762 480301 (just text ‘call back’ to this number and an LGO adviser will call you) Fax: 0247 682 0001 Web: If you think the service is not meeting national standards or Care Quality Commission regulations, you can contact the Care Quality Commission (CQC): CQC National Correspondence PO Box 1258, Newcastle upon Tyne NE99 5AU Tel: 03000 616161 Email: enquiries There is more information about the CQC on page 35.

Comments or complaints about Adult Social Care If your complaint is about East Sussex Adult Social Care, or if you want to make a comment about its services, the leaflet ‘How to make a comment, complaint or compliment’ explains the process. You can get a copy from the website at, from Adult Social Care Direct or from the complaints team directly. Complaints Team Adult Social Care East Sussex County Council, County Hall, St Anne’s Crescent, Lewes, East Sussex BN7 1UE Tel: 01273 481242 Fax: 01273 335141 Email: If you need an interpreter or sign-language interpreter, this can be arranged for you. If you wish to make a comment, compliment or complaint in Brighton & Hove, please visit www.

and fill out the online form. The information you provide will only be used to process your comment or complaint and not for any other purpose. If you prefer not to use this form, you can send your comment or complaint by email to: or write to: Brighton & Hove City Council Standards and Complaints Team FREEPOST SEA 2560, Brighton BN1 1ZW Tel: 0500 291229 Fax: 01273 291535

Visit for further assistance with your search for care


East Sussex Brighton & Hove - Care & Support Services Directory 2013/14  

The comprehensive guide to choosing and paying for care in East Sussex including Brighton & Hove. The Directory includes information on home...