Page 27

Sheltered (or retirement) housing continued charges for the accommodation. Sheltered schemes are often very close communities, with a range of social or other activities that you can join in with if you wish. Sheltered housing isn’t residential care or nursing home accommodation as you have the independence of your own home and your own tenancy or lease. However, if you live in sheltered housing you can still qualify for the kind of home care services described on page 7. Adult Social Care might make an assessment of your needs for these services. For more information about this type of housing available in East Sussex, contact your local District or Borough Council. See yourcouncil/about/districtandborough/default.aspx for contact details.

Brighton & Hove City Council has the largest number of sheltered schemes in the city and can be contacted at: Brighton & Hove City Council Sheltered Services, BHCC Housing Centre, Unit 1 Fairway Trading Estate, Eastergate Road BN2 4QL Tel: 01273 293255 Email:

More information about sheltered housing and other housing options for older people can be obtained from the Elderly Accommodation Counsel: Freephone: 0800 377 7070 Web:

Extra-care housing An extra-care housing scheme offers a high level of support from a 24-hour team based at the site. This allows you to remain in your own home despite frailty, memory loss, periods of ill health or some disability, and so can offer a real alternative to residential care. The support available can improve your quality of life, helping you do the things you find difficult while preserving your abilities and skills. Extra-care housing schemes may vary in what they offer, but they always include 24-hour support. Some schemes may also include, for example, a restaurant,

shop or hairdresser, social clubs or other facilities which can be used by both residents and other people in the community. Most extra-care accommodation is rented but there are a number of other possible combinations of outright ownership and shared ownership. Ask your social worker or care manager for details of schemes in your local area. For further information, call this Directory’s independent helpline: 0800 389 2077.

Residential care homes Steps to consider Here are some important steps you should take when looking at your care options:

If you are paying for your own care services, or considering a move into a care home:

• contact your Adult Social Care department for an assessment of your care needs. This is important even if you will be paying for your care yourself. Adult Social Care will still give you advice and information, and an assessment is necessary if you need to ask for their financial help later on. East Sussex Adult Social Care produces a factsheet ‘Financial assessment for residential care’ which may be helpful; and

• seek advice from your solicitor before making any final decisions;

• ask a relative or a friend to help with making a decision.

• speak to an independent financial adviser about your financial situation and the costs of care; • look into what state benefits you can claim, even if you have savings; • find out about the costs of each type of care. Request brochures from possible care providers, with terms and conditions;  >>

Visit for further assistance with your search for care


East Sussex Brighton & Hove - Care & Support Services Directory 2013/14  

The comprehensive guide to choosing and paying for care in East Sussex including Brighton & Hove. The Directory includes information on home...