Civil Engineering / Electrical Engineering / Mechanical Engineering / Contaminated Land & Brownfield Regeneration / Ecology / Energy / Energy Generation & Distribution / Environmental Impact Assessment / Environmental Management & Auditing / Environmental Planning / Environmental Research / Geographic Information Systems / Geotechnical Engineering Infrastructure Project / Delivery / Land Planning / Process Engineering / Project Management / SMART Tools / Tunnel Design / Utilities & Infrastructure.
Carbon Capture We believe that our industry focus in utilities, process, oil & gas, petrochemicals, energy, construction and infrastructure provides us with key transferable skills to offer an excellent service to the growing carbon capture industry. Capita Symonds is exploring opportunities to apply its extensive expertise in Gas pipelines to Carbon Capture and storage (CCS). Capita Symonds have been awarded a Feasibility Study contract by National Grid, working alongside Fluor, as part of a project aimed at developing the UKâ€™s first CCS Project. The project is typical of Capita Symonds continued engagement and passion for technological advancements and improvement in the management of pollution in the UK and across the globe. The Governmentâ€™s Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) believes that CCS has the potential to reduce CO2 emitted from fossil fuel power stations by up to 90 percent (it is estimated that power stations account for around a third of UK CO2 emissions). We believe our capability base will allow us to positively contribute to this growing industry. // 34
• ELECTRICITY INFRASTRUCTURE • SUBSTATIONS • DISTRIBUTION • GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING • CAVERN DESIGN WASTE MANAGEMENT
• PLANNING • ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENTS • CIVIL & STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING • MECHANICAL ENGINEERING • PROJECT DELIVERY TEAM
• LEADING PIPELINE & COMPRESSOR STATION DESIGN • FULL CLIENT PROJECT SERVICES TEAM
• TERMINAL PROJECT SERVICES • MECHANICAL DESIGN & DELIVERY
• INFRASTRUCTURE DESIGN • COST / PROJECT MANAGEMENT
CROSS COUNTRY PIPELINE / COMPRESSOR DESIGN & PROJECT DELIVERY TEAM
C02 TRANSPORT BY PIPELINE
• COASTAL PROTECTION • FLOOD RISK ASSESSMENTS
What is Carbon Capture & Storage? CCS is a three-step process which includes capturing the CO2 from power plants and other industrial sources; transporting it, usually via pipelines, to storage points; and storing it safely in geological sites such as deep saline formations or depleted oil and gas fields. Capita Symonds specific work involved assessing compression technologies for CO2 transportation. Our team assessed the options for compressing the CO2 along the pipeline network from the CO2 capture sites to the storage location. 36
Feasibility Study for National Grid
2. The study also required a separate report to study the options of constructing a new pipeline around the St. Fergus terminal site.
The project is part of a competition being held by the Governmentâ€™s Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) to demonstrate the viability of commercial scale Carbon Capture & Storage. National Grid â€“ a long term client of Capita Symonds - is part of a consortium which has entered the competition, the winner of which is expected to be operational by 2014.
3. National Grid Carbon Capture has also requested Capita Symonds to undertake a similar feasibility study compressor station arrangements at generic sites associated with carbon capture schemes.
Capita Symonds appointed Fluor to provide specialist support in producing the reports which incorporated comprehensive sections dedicated to process safety.
1. Capita Symonds has been appointed directly by National Grid Carbon Capture to undertake extensive feasibility studies for Compression options at the St. Fergus Terminal as part of the Longannet Power Station Carbon Capture DECC competition.
4. Capita Symonds is also developing a detailed lifecycle costing model on behalf of National Grid Carbon Capture to assist in identifying the feasibility of similar carbon capture transportation schemes.