Page 1

| CAMPBELL RIVER MIRROR | WEDNESDAY, JUNE 15, 2011

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 15, 2011

Innovation is the Key to Success Gary Thulin

Dean Thulin

Tim Dietrich - Home Hardware Head Office, Allison Kilby and Gary Thulin

Glen Thulin

Alison Kilby

Gary, Glen and Dean Thulin and Alison Kilby, Dealer-Owners of Pioneer Home Hardware Building Centre, were named Retail Innovator of the Year by the North American Retail Hardware Association (NRHA) at a ceremony in Las Vegas. The Retail Innovator Award is dedicated to independent

retailers changing their playing fields – developing new ideas and blazing new trials along the retail landscape. It singles out the retail pioneers who are raising the bar for others and setting a new standard for retail operators. This prestigious award was open to any retailer in the home improvement industry in the United States and Canada.

Creativity, innovation and simply being different than the guy next door is what Pioneer Hardware is all about. The team at Pioneer Hardware is proud to share this award with all of our loyal customers, vendors and family. Thank you for shopping with us as we are 100% local.

The BEST of the BEST!

Keys to Success!

Pioneer Home Hardware Building Centre is also honored to receive the “Proud of my Home” achievement award in our area for the 2nd year in a row! Being recognized as a Home Hardware dealer that demonstrates an unwavering commitment of high performing retail excellence is something that both the staff and management are so very proud of and appreciate the recognition from Home Hardware Stores Limited.

1. An awesome team of staff that is dedicated, hard working and full of great ideas. 2. A commitment to customer service excellence and product knowledge. 3. Unique displays, exciting products and extreme creativity. 4. An excellent services selection such as delivery services, design services, installation services and much much more!

| CAMPBELL RIVER MIRROR |

AWARD WINNING CELEBRATION

D

A


| CAMPBELL RIVER MIRROR | WEDNESDAY, JUNE 15, 2011

Frank Since 2010

Mark Since 2008

Trevor Since 2011

Art Since 2011

Tools

Yard

Retail/Yard

Contract Sales

Contract Sales Trish Since 2008

Dallas Since 2004

Gerry Since 2005

Stacey Since 2004

Amanda Colton Russel Kyle Steve

Mike Since 2002

Since 2008 Since 2011 Since 2008 Since 2008 Since 2004

Store Merchandiser Customer Service

Leanne Since 1993

Shelley Since 2008

Paint

Customer Service

Patric Since 2007

Paint Carrie Since 2006

Employee Photos Not Available Cashier Yard Yard Yard Delivery/Yard

Colleen Since 2008

Linda Since 1991

Ken Since 2010

Roxanne Since 2009

Flooring

Christine Since 2008

Home Decor

Delivery/Yard Seasonal

Seasonal Paint

Customer Service

Betty Since 2007

Brenna Since 2008

| CAMPBELL RIVER MIRROR |

Les Since 2002

Cabinetry Design

Georgette Since 2008

Yard

Yard Home Expressions Greeters

Electrical

Receiving

David Since 2002

Brian Since 2010

Dennis Since 2011

Nerissa Since 2006

LBM

Home Expressions LBM

Bob Since 2004

Linda Since 2008

Anne Since 1999

Ray Since 2007

Plumbing/Electrical

Marie Since 2002

Betty Since 1994

Greeters

Cashier

Cashier

Linda Since 2011

George Since 2010

Plumbing/Electrical

Amber Since 2006

accommodate the needs of the growing community a year after the stores 50th anniversary. The Pioneer Hardware Ltd. store was standing on the former location of the famous Willows Hotel that was built in 1908 by Glen, Gary and Dean’s great grandfather Charles Thulin, along with this brother Frederick Thulin. This was the second Willows Hotel, the first being built in 1904 and opened in 1905. Pioneer Hardware Ltd. acquired the location on 12th Avenue and once again moved forward in their community. With that move Pioneer Hardware Ltd. was able to move into building supplies and became a Home Hardware Building Centre. In 2007 Home Hardware Stores Ltd. acquired the former Save on Foods location at 1270 Dogwood Street. This allowed Pioneer Hardware Ltd. to once again increase its size and better serve its customers. The stores association with Home Hardware started in 1981 when the Western Canada based Link Hardware amalgamated with the Eastern based chain.

Receiving

Cashier

Wendy Since 2001

Gail Since 2008

Administration

Donna Since 2008

Administration

Michelle Since 2008

Cashier

dedicated their time and efforts to fostering the growth of Campbell River as a community, expanding their local hardware supply store to meet the needs of Campbell River residents, local workers and tourists alike, and to raising their four young sons. Notably, Carl Jr. worked with his father to help establish the Campbell River Fire Department, and he worked as a Deputy Fire Chief for numerous years as a part of his own commitment to Campbell River. Carl Jr. made sure that his parents’ traditions and commitment to the local economy kept momentum over the years to pass, and he was sure to instill in his young sons good business practices and strong work ethics. As it is today, Al, Glen, Gary and Dean still carry the tradition of giving back to the City of Campbell River any chance they get through multiple organizations and charities, and also being active members in community groups such as Rotary, Chamber of Commerce and the Volunteer Fire Department. The next move was to a 15,800 square foot building with 14, 300 square feet of retail area. This was built in 1988 next to the previous store to

Cashier

Home Installs

You don’t often find a store that lives up to its name as well as does Pioneer Hardware Ltd. in Campbell River. That’s because the hardware store was created in 1937 by local pioneering businessman Carl Thulin Sr. and his wife Margaret. It really is a family tradition at Pioneer Hardware Ltd. Started by Margaret and Carl Thulin Sr., Carl “Tubby” Thulin Jr. joined the ship in 1952 with his wife Florence, and then along came the third generation, Glen (in 1968), Gary (in 1974) and Dean (in 1984). The three brothers currently own and manage the store. Carl Thulin Sr. started his original store on the water side of the downtown main street in the building that also housed the old Beehive Café. It was moved to the other side of the street in 1945 when Carl Sr. sold the Beehive and built a new 2,000 square foot building. Then in 1947 they doubled the frontage. That store would serve them well until 1959 when the square footage was doubled by adding to the back and building a warehouse. Another major expansion occurred in 1971 and renovations inside continued afterwards throughout the years. Carl Thulin Jr. (Tubby) and his wife Florence Thulin,

Yard

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 15, 2011

AWARD WINNING TEAM

Receiving

B

Glenn Since 2010

Matt Since 2009

C

June 15, 2011, Mirror Wrap  

Complete June 15, 2011 issue of The Mirror wrap as it appeared in print. For more online, visit us at www.campbellrivermirror.com

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you