Page 1

Celebrating marriages and civil partnerships in Camden

Contents Choosing a venue . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 Ceremony rooms in Camden Town Hall . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4 A church or other religious ceremony . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 An approved venue in Camden . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7 Introducing online bookings . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 Giving notice . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9 Bespoke ceremonies . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10 Renewal of vows . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11 Converting a civil partnership to marriage . . . . . . . . . . . 12 Further information . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14 Camden’s approved venues . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15

All of the couples in this brochure got married in a venue in Camden.


Choosing a venue

The first step when getting married or forming a civil partnership is to decide where you would like your ceremony to take place. Lively, vibrant and historic Camden has so much to offer you. This guide explains what we can do for you on your special day, from advice on booking your venue to the legal requirements.

Camden Centre The Camden Centre is situated alongside Camden Town Hall in King’s Cross and is the perfect place to have your reception following your ceremony in the Council Chamber, Committee Rooms or Ceremony Suite, or consider outdoor park spaces such as Bloomsbury and Russell Square or Waterlow Park in Highgate to celebrate,with your guests.

Approved venues in Camden We have over 45 venues in Camden for civil ceremonies, ranging from glamorous hotels and historic buildings to quirky and unusual settings. For more information on all our venues, visit

The Camden Centre events team has a wealth of experience and will work closely with you to help organise a memorable experience for the reception following your ceremony. They can arra nge canapĂŠs and drinks, and even arrange the decoration to suit your tastes.

Camden Town Hall Camden Town Hall, a stylish Grade II listed building designed in 1899, is a popular venue. It has many wonderful and interesting features, and the grand white marble staircase provides a perfect setting for taking photographs.

For more information about after ceremony receptions or any other social event please contact Camden Events Service on 020 7974 5633 or email


Ceremony rooms in Camden Town Hall Camden Town Hall contains seven stunning rooms from small intimate ceremonies through to larger ceremonies for up to 180 guests. All ceremony rooms on the civic floor, except committee room 3a which is more contemporary in style, provide a classical setting and are decorated in floor-to-ceiling beechwood panelling, with art deco chandeliers, wall lights and marble fireplaces. The Council Chamber – used for personalised ceremonies and seats up to 180 guests Committee room 2 – used for personalised ceremonies and seats up to 40 guests. Committee rooms 1 and 2 combined – available on special request for up to 70 guests. Committee rooms 3 and 3a – used for personalised ceremonies and seats up to 15 guests. The above rooms are situated on the civic floor of the Town Hall and are for those who wish to have a bespoke personalised ceremony at an additional cost.

Top to bottom: Council Chamber Committee room 2 Committee room 3a Ceremony suite

Ceremony suite – boasts contemporary artwork, both in the waiting area and the suite. This room is the most frequently used for our ceremonies. Please visit for details.


|5| Photos © Paul Fletcher

A church or other religious ceremony If you are getting married in a Church of England church or a church in Wales, then you should arrange to see the vicar to set the date and time for your ceremony. The vicar will then arrange for your banns to be read out in church. The ceremony will be registered by the church and there is usually no need to involve the local register office. If one or both of you are not British, European Union or Swiss, you must give notice in a designated register office (see for important information). If you are having your ceremony in a religious building other than a Church of England church you should arrange to see the religious leader to agree a date and time. You will then need to contact your local register office to make arrangements to give notice. Please see page 9 for more details. The religious building must normally be situated in the registration district where you or your partner live. You can only have your ceremony in a different district to where you both live if: • either of you usually worship in that building; or • there is no building of your religion in the district where you or your partner live.


An approved venue in Camden An approved venue is a building licensed by Camden Council to hold civil ceremonies. The borough offers a wide variety of excellent venues for civil ceremonies, ranging from grand hotels to museums and historic houses with beautiful gardens. When choosing your venue it is important to consider factors such as availability on your chosen date, the type of ceremony you would like, the possible number of guests and whether you require catering services. Each of the venues will be able to discuss your requirements, and provide a bespoke and unforgettable experience. Please visit to see a full list of Camden’s approved venues.


Introducing online bookings Booking your venue Camden has launched an online service to make booking your ceremony easier. You can also make a payment for your wedding, civil partnership or renewal of vows and make an appointment to give your notice of marriage (if you live in Camden or are a foreign national).

Times for your ceremony Ceremonies in Camden venues can be held as early as 9am or as late as 9pm.

Step 1 Choose a venue.

Fees and payment You will need to pay a non-refundable deposit online to secure your booking or, if you prefer, you can pay the full amount at the time of booking. If you prefer to pay by cash, you can come into the register office. Full payment must be made one month before your ceremony.

Step 2 Contact the venue (if not in Camden Town Hall) to secure the date and time you wish to have your ceremony. Step 3 Go online to book your registrars (if in Camden Town Hall or other Camden Venue) at

If you are having your ceremony in a religious building, please contact the religious leader about available times.

The full list of fees can be viewed on our website.

Viewing If you would like to view any of the rooms available for ceremonies in Camden Town Hall, please email


Giving notice What papers to bring to your appointment You both need to provide documents to prove your nationality, name, date of birth and address. You must bring: • a valid passport or national ID document (issued by an EEA state or Switzerland), with a photograph showing your name, date of birth and nationality; and • an original domestic bill for each of you dated within the last three months: a bank statement dated within the last month, your latest council tax bill or a valid UK driving licence to prove your address.

After you have booked your venue and registrars, the next step is to give notice of your intention to marry or form a civil partnership. You must both have lived at your present addresses for at least eight full days before the notices are given. There is a non-refundable fee for giving notice that is set by central government. Please visit marriages for the latest fee. You should give notice as soon as you have made your provisional booking (but not more than one year in advance). There must be 28 clear days between giving notice and getting married or registering your civil partnership.

If you do not have any of these documents, please email for further information.

Where to give notice

Marital status If you have been married before or have previously registered a civil partnership in this or any other country, you will need to bring proof that the marriage or civil partnership has ended. For example, the death certificate of the former spouse or civil partner, or a court stamped copy of the Decree Absolute if there was a divorce or dissolution. If the divorce or dissolution was in another country, you must provide the document issued by that country and a translation, if it is not in English.

If you are both European (EEA), Swiss, or United Kingdom (UK) nationals You must both attend the register office for the district where you live. If you live in different districts, you will have to go to different register offices. If you both live in Camden, then both of you will have to make an appointment to see us. If one or both of you are non-European You must both attend a designated register office (DRO) together. Camden Register Office is a DRO and we will be happy to take your notice for you. Please contact us to make an appointment.

How to make a notice appointment You can book online at marriages or telephone 020 7974 4444.

You must read information on the Home Office website before coming to give notice at marriages-civil-partnerships/foreign-national


Bespoke ceremonies Personalising your special day If your ceremony is in an approved venue or on the civic floor (committee rooms and Council Chamber) of the Town Hall, we offer a bespoke service with a more personalised touch. You will be assigned a registrar before the event to discuss your arrangements. This may include the vows you wish to make to each other, the music to be played before, during and after your ceremony, or any other arrangements you would like to make your day memorable and special. How long will my ceremony last? Your ceremony length depends on what is involved. For example, if you want to include the exchanging of rings or have additional readings, then this will take longer.

Readings and music Your personal vows can be whatever you wish to say to each other and your registrar can advise and guide on all aspects of the ceremony. You may also choose to include a poem or verse. Or perhaps there is a song or particular piece of music that you would like to have incorporated. Civil ceremonies must not be religious in nature. This includes any readings, vows and music. Exchanging the rings It is traditional for a couple to exchange rings after their vows. However, this is not a legal requirement of the ceremony. Photographing and recording your big day We welcome photographing or recording at the ceremony. This should not, of course, disrupt the proceedings.

| 10 |

Renewal of vows Retying your knot with a bow A renewal of vows ceremony offers the opportunity for couples who have already married or formed a civil partnership to celebrate and renew their vows in a special and personal way. Why renew your vows? There are many reasons why people arrange these ceremonies: • they are often associated with special anniversaries. For example, renewing vows can be the ideal focal point of your 10th (Tin), 15th (Crystal), 25th (Silver), 40th (Ruby), 50th (Golden) or 60th (Diamond) anniversary celebrations • some couples who get married or register a civil partnership overseas decide to say ‘I do’ again in this country to share their celebrations with family and friends who may have been unable to attend • they are a public way of reaffirming affection in a special celebration. Whatever your reason, renewing your vows can strengthen your marriage, bring back happy memories and provides a good excuse for a party.

What does a ceremony normally contain? • welcome and introduction • acknowledgement of any children of the relationship • guest reading of poetry or similar • renewal of vows • giving of new rings or re-dedication of existing rings • words from a previous ceremony guest • signing of a commemorative certificate • closing words. The detailed contents of your ceremony are chosen by you. Camden ceremonies team can guide your choices, but much of the content should be personalised so that the event will be uniquely meaningful and memorable for you and your guests. Renewal of vows fees Renewal of vows ceremonies are available priced at the same rates as our marriages and civil partnerships and can be viewed on our website. You will receive a commemorative certificate, which is not valid for legal purposes.

| 11 |

Converting a civil partnership to marriage Which civil partnerships can be converted to marriage? All civil partnerships registered in England, Wales, or overseas in a British consulate or British armed forces base (where the civil partnership was registered according to the laws of England and Wales).

Conversion and ceremony (also known as 2 stage process) For couples who wish to convert their civil partnership to a marriage followed by a ceremony (civil or religious) you must make an appointment to attend any register office in England and Wales to have your documents checked as above.

Fee for civil partnership conversion A statutory fee is payable. You will also need to pay for the cost of marriage certificates.

The signing of the declaration which converts your civil partnership into marriage can be done at an approved venue or religious building of your choice, followed by a ceremony. Your details will be entered onto the registration database and marriage certificates will be available when the registrar returns to the office – they will advise how long this will take.

How do I convert my civil partnership to marriage? There are two ways to convert a civil partnership to a marriage: Standard conversion (also known as 1 stage process) For couples who just wish to convert their civil partnership to a marriage you will need to make an appointment for both of you to attend any register office in England and Wales.

A fee is payable for registrars to attend your ceremony. For further information and advice, email

You will be asked to bring valid passports, your certified civil partnership certificate and proof of address for each of you. You will be taken through an administrative process where details of your documents will be checked and a declaration will be produced for you to sign to convert your civil partnership to marriage. Your details will be entered onto the registration database and you will then be able to buy copies of your marriage certificate at that appointment.

| 12 |

| 13 |

Further information Filming and photography Please feel free to take photos and film your special day, before, during and after your ceremony. However, if you want to take photos or film outdoors e.g. a park, you may need a licence. There is a small fee, depending on the size of your party. Please ask your professional photographer to email their request to

Consent if under 18 years of age If either of you are under 18 years of age, you will need to provide a full birth certificate and obtain consent from parents or a guardian. A registrar will issue a form for this purpose. If you have a problem providing the certificate above, then please contact the register office for further advice. Ceremonies taking place outside England and Wales If you plan to have your ceremony abroad, you should contact the embassy or consulate for the country where you wish the ceremony to take place. For a ceremony taking place in: Scotland visit Northern Ireland visit Irish Republic visit

Access Camden Register Office has full disabled access from the front of the Town Hall. Wheelchair access to the ceremony rooms on the civic floor is via the lifts in the main reception. Induction loops are available for hard of hearing people and a member of staff who is able to use British Sign Language can also be arranged. Feedback Camden Registration Services welcome feedback and suggestions. If there are things we could have done better, or things you think we do well, please let us know by contacting the registration service manager by emailing

Ossulton Street

Euston Road Bidborough St Hastings St

| 14 |

St Pancras

Argyle St reet

Towards Euston

The British Library

Judd Street

Contact details Website and online booking: Email: In person: during our opening times.

Camden Town Hall

Pancra s Road

Where are we? Camden Registration Services, Camden Town Hall, Judd Street (off Euston Road), WC1H 9JE.

Mid lan dR oad

Our opening hours Camden Registration Services are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm and Saturday from 9am to 12.30pm, by appointment only. On the first Thursday of each month we open from 9am to 1pm.

King’s Cross

Camden’s approved venues * 30 Euston Square: 30 Euston Square, NW1 2FB Ambassadors Bloomsbury Hotel: 12 Upper Woburn Place, WC1H 0HX Bloomsbury Hotel: 16-22 Great Russell Street, WC1B 3NN Bloomsbury House: 2-3 Bloomsbury Square, WC1A 2RL The British Library: 96 Euston Road, NW1 2DB British Medical Association: BMA House, Tavistock Square, WC1H 9JP Burgh House: New End Square, NW3 1LT Camden Centre: Bidborough Street, WC1H 9AU Camden Town Hall: Judd Street, WC1H 9JE Cecil Sharp House: 2 Regent’s Park Road, NW1 7AY Covent Garden Hotel: 10 Monmouth Street, WC2H 9LF Doubletree by Hilton: 92 Southampton Row, WC1B 4BH Foundling Museum: 40 Brunswick Square, WC1N 1AZ Goodenough College: Mecklenburgh Square, WC1N 2AB

De Vere Grand Connaught Rooms Limited: 61-62 Great Queen Street, WC2B 5DA Highgate Literary and Scientific Institution: 11 South Grove, N6 6BS Hill Garden and Pergola: North End Way, NW3 7EX Holiday Inn London Camden Lock: 30 Jamestown Road, NW1 7BY The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn: 8 South Square, WC1R 5ET The Hospital Club: 24 Endell Street, WC2H 9HQ Hotel Russell: 1-8 Russell Square, WC1B 5BE Imperial Hotel: Russell Square, WC1B 5BB Jewish Museum London: Raymond Burton House, 129-131 Albert Street, NW1 7NB Kenwood House: Hampstead Lane, NW3 7JR The Knights Templar: 95 Chancery Lane, WC2A 1DT Lauderdale House: Waterlow Park, Highgate Hill, N6 5HG London Irish Centre: 50-52 Camden Square, NW1 9XB London Marriott Hotel Maida Vale: Plaza Parade, NW6 5RP London Marriott Hotel Regent’s Park: 128 King Henry’s Road, NW3 3ST

| 15 |

One Alfred Place: 1 Alfred Place, WC1E 7EB The Phoenix Garden: 21 Stacey Street, WC2H 8DG The Princess of Wales: 22 Chalcot Road NW1 8LL Priory Community Hall: 134A Abbey Road NW6 4SN Mary Ward House: 5-7 Tavistock Place, WC1H 9SN The Montague on the Gardens: 15 Montague Street, WC1 5BJ The Parcel Yard: King’s Cross Station, N1C 4AH The Prince Albert: 163 Royal College Street, NW1 0SG Radisson Blu Edwardian: 9-13 Bloomsbury Street, WC1B 3QD Rosewood London: 252 High Holborn, WC1V 7EN Royal College of Physicians: 11 St Andrews Place, NW1 4LE St Pancras Renaissance Hotel: Euston Road, NW1 2AR St Pancras International Station: St Pancras Grand and Champagne Bar, Upper Concourse, N1C 4QL St Stephen’s Rosslyn Hill: Pond Street, NW3 2PP University of London: Senate House, Malet Street, WC1E 7HU York and Albany: 127-129 Parkway, NW1 7PS * see website for current list

The Camden Centre is a glorious Grade II listed building located opposite St Pancras Station. Our Grand Hall with Art Deco features includes a magnificent 1930s chandelier, a stage and high spec sound and lighting systems..

You are able to run your own bar and use your own caterers at the Camden Centre. Capacity is 50 - 750 people. We are licensed to hold marriages and civil partnerships so you can exchange your vows and celebrate in the same venue!

If you would like any further information or wish to view the Camden Centre, please call our friendly team on 020 7974 5633 or email Camden Centre, c/o Camden Town Hall, Judd St, King's Cross, London WC1H 9JE

#"la "I.I

Cam d en


didn’t fall for you

you Tripped Me

ThE GrANd TErrACE up to 50 seated / 100 standing

The elegant indoor terrace has superb views within the awe-inspiring arching station roof, with the international train tracks fading into the background. This offers unique photo opportunities with stunning views of the station. This beautiful and somewhat unusual exclusive event space has its own private bar, making the perfect location for memorable wedding celebrations, dining occasions or simply drinks and canapĂŠ parties whatever the weather. The Betjeman Arms, Unit 53, St Pancras International Station, London, N1C 4QL Tel: 020 7923 5440 Email: Website: TheBetjemanArms





BMA HOUSE, THE PERFECT VENUE FOR YOUR WEDDING DAY IMAGINE YOURSELF AMIDST a beautiful and tranquil outdoor haven, set in a timeless area steeped in history within the heart of Bloomsbury. Combine this with an array of impressive rooms, gourmet food, fine wines and superb service making BMA House a hidden gem that offers everything you’ve ever dreamed of on your special day. A stunning Grade II listed building BMA House holds a wedding licence within four rooms, accommodating up to 200 people for a ceremony and wedding breakfast. However our true secret lies in our two beautiful and peaceful outdoor

spaces; The Courtyard and The Garden, creating the perfect setting for pre-dinner drinks and for capturing those memorable photographs. We go above and beyond to make sure that our brides are happy and feel relaxed at all times, treating each and every wedding with tender loving care. From the moment we take an enquiry to the moment of the last dance we are personal “Toast Masters” for our brides. Our team is involved in every aspect to discuss and advise, ensuring that every wedding runs seamlessly. Contact us for a bespoke proposal. Please call 020 7874 7020 or visit our website at

Call 020 7874 7020 or visit BMA House, Tavistock Square, London, WC1H 9JP. E @BMAHousevenue bmahouseweddingvenue


Purveyors of Fine Beers & Liquor



Primrose Hill



To book or make an enquiry, please contact MARRIOTTWEDDINGS.CO.UK/LONDONMAIDAVALE OR CALL 0207 543 2301

AN AWE INSPIRING & UNIQUE VENUE FOR AN UNFORGETTABLE DAY! St Pancras International is fully licensed to host wedding ceremonies on the Grand Terrace, directly under the intricate display of the Barlow Shed. Following a ceremony bathed in natural light, welcome your guests with an opulent Champagne fountain in our elegant bar. Your wedding party can then saunter to the Restaurant to enjoy a bespoke Wedding Breakfast, before strutting their stuff on the dance floor accompanied by a live band or DJ. Wedding Ceremony by the Betjeman statue Standing Reception Champagne Bar: 400 Standing Reception Brasserie: 250 | Seated dining: 170 | 0207 923 5455

Weddings & Civil Partnerships at

LAUDERDALE HOUSE Lauderdale House is a beautiful Grade II* Heritage House with superb views overlooking the magnificent Waterlow Park in Highgate, North London. There are two stunning rooms licensed for civil ceremonies and our team has a wealth of experience to ensure that every detail of your special day is just perfect for you. Our in-house catering team, Pink Food, are there to work with you to create the most delicious menus, with great ingredients, cooked simply, presented stunningly and served in a friendly and professional manner.



Burgh House, a beautiful grade I listed 18th-century home, that is hidden amongst the cobbled streets of one of London’s loveliest villages. Its historic panelled rooms provide a unique and elegant backdrop for wedding ceremonies, civil partnerships and receptions, and our dedicated staff guarantee the highest level of service to ensure that your day is truly memorable. 020 7431 0144 | 020 8348 8716 Lauderdale House, Waterlow Park, Highgate Hill, London N6 5HG


Did you know..?


A beautiful venue in the heart of Bloomsbury

The British Library is now a licensed venue for weddings and civil ceremonies.

Grade-II listed building Licenced for civil ceremonies Hire is available from 17:00 Tuesday – Sunday & 12:00 on Mondays Civil ceremony: 100 Standing reception: 250 Seated dining: 100

For more information contact the Central Events team T +44 (0)20 7412 7211

40 Brunswick Square, WC1N 1AZ +44 (0)20 7841 3616

Your perfect day just got better!

Our team have a wealth of experience helping the happy couple organize the perfect celebration. We can help with menu planning, wine selection, organizing flowers, DJ, live music, transport & the all-important cake! We’re also licensed to hold marriages and civil partnerships on the premises.

Celebrating marriages and civil partnerships in Camden

To advertise your licensed venue in next year’s brochure, email

020 7485 0270

Camden does not represent any supplier or endorse the contents posted. Any use of the suppliers shall be at the purchaser’s sole risk.


A GRADE II* VENUE WITH A CONTEMPORARY TWIST PERFECT FOR THE MODERN CITY COUPLE All inclusive packages from only £105.00pp +VAT Including room hire, three course seated dinner & drinks

30 Euston Square, London, NW1 2FB | 020 8453 4610

Camden Registration Services Register Office Camden Town Hall Judd Street London WC1H 9JE Website: Email:

Photo Credits Front cover: Elizabeth and Cory Photographer: Inside cover: Tanija and Chathura Photographer: Sanjaya Liyanage Page 1 (left) Jocelyn and Nicholas Photographer: David Kemp, family member Page 1 (middle left) Maria and Evangelia Page 1 (middle right) Hilary and Mark Photographer: Page 1 (right) Elizabeth and Cory Photographer: Page 2 Sam and Neil Photographer: Page 6 (left) Claudia and Markus Photographer: Andreas Grieger Photography

Page 6 (Middle) Luke and Steven Photographer: Page 6 (right) Jessica and Christopher Photographer: Page 7 Simon and Jennifer Photographer: Page 10 (left) Richard and Michael Photographer: Page 10 (middle) Becky and Michael Photographer: Page 10 (right) Gracelie and Christopher Photographer: Page 13 Paul and Lee Photographer:

Produced by Camden communications 2528.16 17/18. Tel: 020 7974 1985 Published April 2017

Celebrating marriages and civil partnerships in Camden  
Celebrating marriages and civil partnerships in Camden  

Camden is a lively, vibrant borough full of character and historical interest making it a perfect place for your ceremony. Whether you live...