LONDON SOUTH BANK FOUNDATIONCAMPUS
Learning and inspiration in the heart of London Established as the Borough Polytechnic Institute in 1892, London South Bank University (LSBU) has focused on providing professional opportunities for all who can benefit for well over a century. The original aim ‘to promote the industrial skill, general knowledge, health and well-being of young men and women’ remains remarkably similar today. The continuous focus on vocational education and professional opportunity allows London South Bank University to produce graduates who can meet the challenges of today’s workplace. With over 25,000 students, LSBU is one of the largest universities in London with students from over 120 different countries.
NO.1 MODERN UNIVERSITY FOR GRADUATE STARTING SALARIES
THE BEST PREPARATION FOR A FUTURE CAREER
• No.1 in the UK for graduate starting salaries amongst the modern universities (Sunday Times University Guide 2011).
• 95% of LSBU graduates are employed within six months of completion of graduation.
• 6th for graduate starting salaries in the UK, and ahead of many universities of the Russell Group, such as University of Cambridge, University of Warwick, University of Bristol, and University of Edinburgh (The Times 2010).
WHY CHOOSE LONDON SOUTH BANK UNIVERSITY
FoundationCampus is proud to work in partnership with London South Bank University to offer high-quality university preparation programmes for international students on the University campus.
WORLD-WIDE ACCREDITATION AND RECOGNITION
CENTRAL LONDON LOCATION
OUTSTANDING STUDENT SUPPORT & FACILITIES
• ACCA, CIM and RIBA are just a few of the internationally recognised professional bodies who accredit degree programmes at LSBU, ensuring that its students receive all the relevant teaching, knowledge and skills to prepare them for their chosen career.
• A 15-minute walk from the River Thames, LSBU enjoys a truly central location in the capital with all of its departments based on their compact city-centre campus, on the doorstep of the world’s leading financial and creative centres.
• English language support and one-2-one private tutoring can be arranged for international students. • Multi-faith centre. • £47 million has been invested in the campus at LSBU, providing students with some of the most modern teaching facilities and laboratories in London.
DEGREES THE BEST CHOICE FOR YOUR FUTURE CAREER
London South Bank University has four faculties that deliver a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes: • Faculty of Arts and Human Sciences • Faculty of Business • Faculty of Engineering, Science and the Built Environment • Faculty of Health and Social Care. Here are a few of the outstanding degree subjects on offer:
Accounting and Finance • Qualify more quickly to be an accountant, saving time and money, with exemption from nine papers of the professional qualification of ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) on the BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance course. LSBU is one of only a limited number of educational institutions accredited with this status to offer the maximum number of exemptions. • Close links with professional bodies including the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) and Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA). Business • “Running the courses for those running the country” – the only London-based provider to deliver both the Masters in Business Administration (MBA) and the Masters in Public Administration (MPA) courses in executive and part-time mode to Government staff. • Close links with professional bodies who accredit a number of the degree programmes at LSBU, including Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM), Chartered Management Institute (CMI) and Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD). • Recent graduates have gone on to work for some of the world’s leading organisations such as Nokia, Lloyds TSB, Tesco and RBS. Law • Fully accredited and recognised by the Joint Academic Stage Board of the Bar Standards Board for the single honours LLB degree and all law-major combined honours LLBs. • ‘Working in the Law’ is a unit for all second-year students focussing on the attributes and skills the profession requires. It encourages and assists students in obtaining relevant work placements and volunteering opportunities.
MOST POPULAR DEGREES
Accounting and Finance • BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance • MSc International Accounting and Finance • MSc International Investment and Finance Business • BA (Hons) Business Information Technology • BA (Hons) Business Studies • BA (Hons) Marketing • MSc International Business • MBA (available with no work experience) Law • LLB (Hons) Bachelor of Laws • BSc (Hons) Law with Criminology • BSc (Hons) Criminology with Law
DEGREES THE BEST CHOICE FOR YOUR FUTURE CAREER
Architecture and Built Environment • Long tradition of being recognised by some of the country’s leading chartered institutes: – Architecture undergraduate degrees are accredited by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), equivalent to Part 1 – Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) has accredited degrees and diplomas at LSBU for almost 50 years – Construction Management degree is run for the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) • Architecture graduates from LSBU have gone on to work for a number of leading practices including: Richard Rogers Partnership, Norman Fosters, Hawkins Brown, Allford Hall Monaghan Morris, Nigel Coates Architects, RHWL Architects. Engineering • Ranked No.1 in London and 3rd in the UK amongst the modern universities for research in General Engineering (RAE 2008), and in the Top 20 of all UK universities. 95% of all research work submitted was rated of international quality. • Accredited by a number of professional bodies including the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) and the Institution of Engineering Designers (IED).
Arts, Media and English • Impressive graduate employment track record includes the following companies within the sector: Dance, Music and the Performing Arts – English National Opera, Geneva Dance Company, Gustav Mahler Youth Orchestra Vienna, Mariinsky Theatre St Petersburg, RADA Film, Games, Media, Photography and Television – Apple Genius, Autograph, BBC, British Film Institute, Channel 4, Doubleclick, EMI, Endemol, Newscorp Berlin, Yahoo Museums and Galleries – National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, Singapore Art Museum and Tate, Ludlow 38 New York, Macdougalls Auction House, Modern Art Oxford Not-for-profit organisations, charities and local government – Childline, The Children’s Society, Energy Saving Trust, Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital, Mencap Tourism • Study tourism in one of the world’s leading tourist destinations. • Ideal location to access some of the best professional networks in the industry. • Option for work placements on some programmes. • Graduates have gone on to work with international hotel chains, airlines and tour operators worldwide.
For more information on the degrees you can progress onto at London South Bank FoundationCampus, see the Coursefinder or www.lsbu.foundationcampus.com
For more detailed information on the degree course itself, see www.lsbu.ac.uk and LSBU’s Video Channel at www.youtube.com/ Londonsouthbankuni
MOST POPULAR DEGREES
Architecture and Built Environment • BA (Hons) Architecture • BSc (Hons) Architectural Technology • BSc (Hons) Architectural Engineering Engineering • BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering • BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering • BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering • BEng (Hons) Petroleum Engineering Arts, Media and English • BA (Hons) Arts Management • BA (Hons) Digital Film & Media • BA (Hons) Digital Media Arts • BA (Hons) Media & Cultural Studies Tourism • BA (Hons) Tourism, Leisure and Hospitality Management • MSc International Tourism and Hospitality Management
LONDON SOUTH BANK UNIVERSITY AND THE SURROUNDING AREA
London South Bank University sits in the heart of one of the world’s most vibrant capital cities. Surrounded by the history and culture of London, this is the perfect base from which to enrich your student experience.
1. LSBU Campus 2. Houses of Parliament 3. Borough Market 4. The London Eye 5. South Bank Centre 6. St Paul’s Cathedral 7. The City of London
7 Covent Garden
London 7 Bridge Waterloo
1 Elephant & Castle
GUARANTEED PATHWAYS PROGRESSION ROUTES TO YOUR DEGREE
Undergraduate Foundation Programme (UFP)
Master’s Foundation Programme (MFP)
Guaranteed progression* to Year 1 of a wide range of undergraduate degrees or the International Diploma in Business Management. The following pathways are offered: • Business, Economics, Finance and Management • Law, Humanities and Social Sciences • Computing, Engineering and Sciences • Life Sciences • Art, Design and Media Starts: September or January
Guaranteed progression* to a wide range of Master’s degrees. The following pathways are offered: • Business, Finance and Management** Starts: January, April, June or September Terms: 1, 2 or 3 terms, subject to your level of English on entry and the level required to progress onto your chosen Master’s degree
English Language Preparation Programme (ELPP)
International Diploma Programme (IDP) Guaranteed progression* to Year 2 of selected BA (Hons) Business degrees.
Guaranteed progression* to the Undergraduate and Master’s Foundation programmes and the International Diploma. Starts: January, April, June or September Terms: 1, 2 or 3 terms, subject to your level of English on entry and the programme you wish to progress onto
• BA (Hons) Business Studies • BA (Hons) Business Administration Starts: September or January Terms: 3
For more details on all these programmes, please see the Coursefinder.
*Guaranteed progression is subject to meeting the academic grades and English level as specified in the Coursefinder.
**Some business modules may be co-taught classes alongside International Diploma Programme students.
YOUR ROUTE TO A UNIVERSITY DEGREE London South Bank University programme London South Bank FoundationCampus programme
Master’s Pathway MASTER’S DEGREE
Degree Year Two Degree Year One INTERNATIONAL DIPLOMA
ENGLISH LANGUAGE PREPARATION
WHY CHOOSE FOUNDATIONCAMPUS
London South Bank FoundationCampus offers guaranteed progression to a wide range of Undergraduate and Master’s degree programmes at London South Bank University on successful completion of our Foundation and Diploma programmes.
• A comprehensive 25-hour-a-week academic and English language programme designed to ensure students are prepared thoroughly for the demands of a UK degree. • Strong academic content and more hours than most other on-campus preparation programmes. • ‘Taster sessions’ at the start of your course allows you to try different subjects before making your final choice of which academic subjects to study. • Differentiated classes help you make progress at a pace to suit your level of ability. • Regular assessments make sure you are on course for success. • Formal assessment over three terms so everything you learn counts towards successful completion of the programme. Includes group projects, presentations, coursework and exams in the same way you will be assessed on your university degree programme.
STUDENT PROFILE SARUUL ENKHMANDAKH
From: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia Studied: UFP Business pathway Now studying: Year 2 of BA (Hons) Accounting & Finance LSBU was my goal to do my degree because it is one of the top universities to do Accounting & Finance. The FoundationCampus course helped me a lot and I got over 80% in most of my first year exams and now I am aiming for a 1st class degree. I think the combination of Maths, Business Studies and IELTS on my Foundation course was really good preparation to guarantee my successful progression onto the first year of my degree. In particular, the fact I prepared for the IELTS exam meant I felt ready to study alongside my British classmates. The time I spent at FoundationCampus also helped me to become familiar with London life and Iâ€™m now living in the new business and financial district of London, in Canada Water. Iâ€™ve managed to make contacts in the business world through the alumni meetings that my faculty arrange to meet recently graduated students from LSBU who are now working in the industry.
STUDENT PROFILE EMRAH UCAR
From: Istanbul, Turkey Studied: UFP Engineering Pathway Now studying: BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering I would recommend this course for any international student planning to do a degree. I had moved to FoundationCampus at London South Bank from another university’s foundation course as I knew it wasn’t right for me. The staff at FoundationCampus were really friendly and helped me settle in quickly. I really benefited from the IELTS preparation classes and it was really good preparation for my university studies. My Maths and Physics teachers helped me build the knowledge and confidence in these key subjects for my engineering degree. I’m really happy on my degree course and I use the knowledge and skills I gained while studying at FoundationCampus every day. The support and guidance I got from FoundationCampus before I moved onto my degree was exactly what I needed to achieve the goals I had set for myself.
WHY CHOOSE FOUNDATIONCAMPUS
OUTSTANDING TEACHING AND SUPPORT
LIFE AND SUPPORT OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM
• Highly trained and qualified multicultural and multilingual teaching staff with experience of working in more than 20 different countries.
• A comprehensive induction programme will help you settle into London life with the FoundationCampus team helping you open a bank account, get an Oyster card (essential for travelling around the capital on buses and the Underground), and register with the police if you need to.
• Many of our teaching staff are university lecturers or independent exam board examiners, and our academic team includes a number of former British Council employees. • Academic guidance and support from our partner university’s faculties with seminars, workshops and personal interviews for our FoundationCampus students. • A personal tutor for every student with weekly tutorial meetings to ensure progress on your course and progression to your chosen degree. • Your personal tutor is also there to help you with any issues you might have inside or outside the classroom.
• Our team can give you advice on transferring from another institution in the UK and changing your visa. • As FoundationCampus students you can also get advice from the University’s ‘Job Shop’, which helps students find part-time jobs or get work experience. • An international student programme of events including national holiday celebrations, cultural awareness events, and international food and film clubs.
ACCOMMODATION London South Bank University offers “the best value student accommodation in London” (iGraduate survey 2007). As a FoundationCampus student you can apply for University accommodation, all of which is centrally located in London and only a few minutes’ walk away from the FoundationCampus centre. It’s a great way to meet other students who are already studying at London South Bank and be at the heart of University life.
Full support is offered by the team at FoundationCampus to assist you in finding suitable accommodation wherever that may be, from university residences and private accommodation to homestay, before you arrive.
WHY CHOOSE FOUNDATIONCAMPUS
BE PART OF THE UNIVERSITY FROM DAY ONE
PREPARING STUDENTS FOR THE UK’S TOP UNIVERSITIES SINCE 1952
• A true University campus within the heart of London! All LSBU’s facilities – library, learning resources centre, sports centre and gym are within two minutes’ walk of the FoundationCampus teaching centre.
• FoundationCampus is part of Cambridge Education Group, the UK’s leading university pathway provider since 1952.
• FoundationCampus students receive a university student card, and with it you will have access to all the University’s facilities, clubs and societies whilst studying on the Foundation programmes. • FoundationCampus centre located next to the Student Union, placing our students at the heart of LSBU student life. • Regular planned guest visits to Year 1 degree programme lectures on your chosen degree programme through your course. • Termly meetings with LSBU lecturers and course directors in subject workshops.
• Cambridge Education Group was the first private institution to offer university Foundation programmes in the UK in 1985, and successfully prepares hundreds of students for the UK’s top universities every year.
STUDENT PROFILE UN KUN WONG (RACHEL)
From: Macau Studying: MFP Business Progressing to: MSc Human Resources Management I am living in University accommodation and share a flat with university students from Malaysia and Greece who are studying their Master’s degrees. We talk a lot, usually in the kitchen, and my speaking and listening have really improved. After graduating from the University of St Joseph in Macau in Marketing, I came to LSBU as I was interested in specialising in Human Resource Management. I really appreciate the individual attention I get from the teachers in my small MFP classes of five or six students. I was nervous about doing presentations in class, but as they say “Practice makes perfect”, and I feel that these, and the research methods work I am doing, will be good preparation for my Master’s degree.
STUDENT PROFILE ADEBAYO ILESANMI SAMSON
From: Akure, Nigeria Studying: UFP Law, Humanities & Social Sciences pathway Progressing to: LLB Law My future plan is to make a landmark change, not only in my potential career as a lawyer, but also in my dream to be someone who holds the key to global solutions. I believe there is nothing comparable to studying in the right place in the UK. The staff and tutors have been instrumental in creating a good atmosphere for learning, and FoundationCampus is the right place at the right time for me as a student.
STEP ONE Submit your application by one of the following methods: Online: www.foundationcampus.com Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: +44 (0) 1223 346181 Post: Admissions Office, FoundationCampus, Kett House, Station Road, Cambridge, CB1 2JH Please remember to include all relevant documentation.
STEP TWO Our Central Admissions team will review your application. • If you have provided documentation to show you have the academic qualifications and English language ability and meet all the entry requirements, you will be sent an offer letter and registration form. • If we have any queries about your application, our Central Admissions team will contact you for further information.
To accept your place on the course you will need to send the deposit payment and registration fee as indicated in your offer letter, along with the completed registration form. In your offer letter, you may be requested to send some additional documentation to prove you meet the conditions mentioned.
STEP FIVE You will then need to apply for a visa if you require one to study in the UK.
STEP SIX You will need to pay at least the first term’s tuition fees before you begin your programme of study at FoundationCampus.
STEP FOUR On receipt of your registration form and payment, we will confirm your place on the course and send you a certificate of enrolment or a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) to support your visa application. We will also send you pre-arrival information, including how to book accommodation should you require it.
Get in touch, weâ€™d love to hear from you. Overseas offices: Cambridge Education Group Kett House Station Road Cambridge CB1 2JH United Kingdom Telephone: +44 (0)1223 345698 Fax: +44 (0)1223 346181 Email: email@example.com Web: www.foundationcampus.com
Foundationcampus is part of Cambridge Education Group
China +86 10 5869 0568 firstname.lastname@example.org Central Asia +7 926 007 3891 email@example.com Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan +852 2882 4046 firstname.lastname@example.org
Latin America email@example.com Russia +7 495 223 1348 firstname.lastname@example.org South East Asia +66 85 360 9446 email@example.com
Korea +82 2 2052 1904 firstname.lastname@example.org
00100 â€“ LSBU Prospectus