“From the lips of children… You have ordained praise”
There’s a lot of power in a name. It can convey identity, purpose, and direction. So what is the meaning behind the name LUMIN8?
– Psalms 8
It is a form of the word, “illuminate,” which means to brighten with light; to light up. The purpose of LUMIN8 is to brighten our dark world with the light of God’s Word and the message of His love through music. The “8” in LUMIN8 is a reference to Psalms 8 (verse two), where the Psalmist says that children have a unique calling to speak God’s praise. “From the lips of children and infants, You have ordained praise….” LUMIN8 will proclaim God’s glory in a variety of performances throughout the year: Sunday morning services, a Christmas program, and a spring concert. The choir will also produce a CD at the end of the year that will be distributed to families in the Children’s Ministry. Songs on the CD will be original music written by our Children’s Ministry, and will include memorization songs from the book of James, a “big church” sermon series song, and several others directly related to our programming.
2013-2014 Season C A LVA RY
707 East Beltline NE , Grand Rapids | (616) 956-9377 | calvarygr.org
Calvary Church | Grand Rapids, Michigan
Each year in LUMIN8, we focus on the following goals for children:
Frequently asked questions:
• Memorize the book of James through song, one chapter a year, which will be memorized entirely in the next five years! • Perform an evangelistic Christmas Musical, a Spring Concert and recording a CD of original music each year. The message will “illuminate” all who listen! • Show commitment to one another as a team. All who join will be asked to attend scheduled practices, and will reasonably be expected to be present for all rehearsals and presentations. • Understand song lyrics, ask questions and build relationships. Kids will not just be singing words, but will understand the words they are singing. Practice times will include discussions as well as occasional fun activities to improve retention and application of principles in the songs. • Experience God in worship. LUMIN8 will sing in two scheduled Sunday morning worship services. • Preschoolers have less participation.
Practice Time Wednesday nights, 5:45-6:35pm (a detailed calendar will be available on the first night of practice)
LUMIN8 Choir members meet 5:45 to 6:35pm. Those registered for Kids -N-Action will be taken to theirelectives at 6:35pm.
• Who can join? Children 4 years old (by October 1) through 6th grade may join (must be able to attend performances listed on the complete schedule).
Rehearsal and Performance Schedule Winter September 11 – Choir practice begins September 22 – Auditions for Christmas Musical (4:00pm) November 10 – Sunday Morning Performances
• When can my children join? Children must register no later than October 9 for the Christmas musical; no later than January 16 for the CD recording. Anyone registering after January 16 will be assigned to the choir beginning the following September.
December 14 - Christmas Musical Practice (9:00am, Sanctuary)
• How do I register my child? Either register on the church website, calvarygr.org, or pick up a registration form at one of the the check-in desks. If you have questions, contact Children’s Ministry (childrensministry@ calvarygr.org) at 956-9377, Ext. 5067.
January 8 – Choir practice resumes
• What about children with special needs? We welcome all children to join us! If your child has special needs, please contact Calvary’s Special Needs office (Ext. 5348) and they will help create an inclusion plan if that is needed.
May 3 – Spring Concert Dress Rehearsal (9:45am) May 4 – Spring Concert (6:00pm) & CD Release Party
December 21– Dress rehearsal (9:00am) December 22 – Children’s Christmas Musical (6:00pm) Spring
From the lips of children… You have ordained praise. — Psalm 8
January 26 – ROTE Radio Auditions (4:00pm)
March 9 – CD recording rehearsal (5:45pm, Room 152) March 15 (Saturday) – Studio CD Recording April 27 – Sunday Morning Performance