>>Turn left on Hwy 21 >>Follow 21 North to Jacksonville Jacksonville Jacksonville was built on acreage purchased form the Creek Chief Ladiga, shortly after he had received the land under the terms of the Treaty of Cusseta of 1832. The treaty provided for the removal of the Creek Indians but set aside land for chiefs, heads of families and Indian orphans. Jacksonville became the first county seat of Benton County in 1833 and remained the seat until 1899 when records were moved to Anniston. The area progressed until its tranquility was broken by the Civil War. The greatest majority of its male citizens, including four generals and the “Gallant Pelham” from nearby Alexandria, fought for confederacy. Although remembered for its patriotic and cultural activities, Jacksonville is best known as an educational center. The present Jacksonville State University has a cultural heritage that began with the establishment of a male Academy in 1836. In 1869, a group of citizens raised money to create Calhoun College which became operational in 1871. In 1883, it progressed to the Jacksonville State Normal School. The school has continued to grow both in size and in importance and become, in time, Jacksonville State University. >>Turn left on Henry Farm Road (between Jacksonville Hospital and the Armory) >>Turn right on 2nd Avenue SW Old Henry Farm (Eagle Point Church, 301 Henry Road SW) Built in 1910 by Charles B. Henry as a state-of- the-art dairy farm complex, the building is on the National Register of Historic Places and is now used as a church. >> Turn right onton Branscomb Dr SW >> Turn left onto 21 Ten Oaks 805 South Pelham Road Built in 1850 by Captain James Cook, CSA, this stately home was the headquarters for General Beauregard, CSA in 1864. Now, the home serves as a law office for David Maloney. >>Turn right onto James Street SE Jacksonville Cemetery After his death in 1863, “The Gallant Pelham” was returned home and buried in the City Cemetery, where a statue was erected in 1905 to commemorate the fallen officer. September 11, 2002, a monument was unveiled honoring Army Major Dwayne Williams, killed in the Pentagon on September 11, 2001. Major Williams was laid to rest in Section 64 of the Arlington National Cemetery. >>Turn left onto Church Avenue St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Intersection of Ladiga and Church Consecrated in 1856, this beautiful English Gothic frame structure is Jacksonville’s oldest church building and is on the Alabama Register of Landmarks.
This historic driving tour of Calhoun County, Alabama is always growing, as more and more homes and stories are shared.