Calhoun County From Piedmont to Ohatchee, Jacksonville to Weaver, Hobson City, Anniston to Oxford And everything in between...
History of Calhoun County This driving tour will highlight the rich legacy of history in Calhoun County, Alabama. Nestled in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains of Alabama, Calhoun County’s history dates back on the Cherokee and Creek Indians. This tour will touch on some of the more historic spots throughout Calhoun County. Your tour may be done in whole or in part and covers most areas of the County. This is a drive by tour only. (Very few of the homes are open for tours, which are by appointment only.) You are here: Calhoun County Chamber of Commerce 1330 Quintard Avenue Founded in 1978, when the Chambers of Piedmont, Jacksonville, Anniston and Oxford merged, the Chamber represents the business interest of Calhoun County and promotes tourism activities while serving as the Calhoun County Welcome Center.
Anniston Unlike other major southern cities, Anniston was founded after the Civil War. In 1872, the Tyler and Noble families designed Anniston to be a key industrial element in the New South. The town that grew up around the Woodstock Iron Company and cotton mill became an example of community building. One of the “Model” cities, like Savannah and others, Anniston’s streets run North-South, East and West. A private company town, Anniston opened to a broader public in 1883 and attracted new industries, commercial activities and people. Wealthy newcomers built large Victorian homes on Tyler Hill and along Quintard Avenue, originally designed to be the residential street of the opulent. Modern Anniston is a metropolitan area, but many historic structures remain that are reminiscent of the model city heritage. Temple Beth El 1301 Quintard Avenue Adjacent and to the right of the Chamber, you’ll see the town’s only Jewish synagogue, dedicated in 1891. The single story, Byzantine design features arched transom doorways and windows and a high gable roof. Parker Memorial Baptist Church 1205 Quintard Ave. Across the street from the Temple Beth El, Parker Memorial was constructed of native stone between 1888 and 1891. This church is one of Anniston’s most prominent landmarks. Architect George Kennerly’s design features an interior of Italian wood and beautiful lancet stained glass windows. Early business leader, Duncan T. Parker, bequeathed a sum for the main auditorium in memory of his wife, Cornelia. The name was then changed from 12th Street Baptist Church to Parker Memorial. Samuel Noble Monument On Quintard Avenue at the 11th Street Intersection The life-size Italian-made statue was erected in 1895 by the citizens of Anniston to honor the town’s founder, Samuel Noble, who is depicted standing on stacks of pig iron.
>> Turn left onto 10th Street, and Grace will be on your left Grace Episcopal Church 1000 Leighton Avenue Commissioned in 1882 by the town’s founders General Daniel Tyler and Samuel Noble, the beautiful Gothic structure, often called “A Poem in Cedar and Stone” was designed by George Upjohn. The exquisite native sandstone masonry was done by Simon Jewell, who was also the stonemason for Parker Memorial and First Christian Church on Leighton. The interior is executed in cedar, brass, and stone, the architectural theme of Solomon’s Temple as described in the First Book of Kings. Noble, Roberts, Parker Cottage >>Turn right onto Leighton, 900 Leighton Avenue This Richardson stone and cedar shingle house was built by Samuel Noble in 1887 as a guest cottage for distinguished visitors and potential investors. Later he gave the cottage to his daughter, Katie Quintard Noble and her bridegroom E.E.G. Roberts, as a wedding present. The landmark is presently used as an office by architect George O. Parker, A.I.A. Nininger, Knox, Stewart House >> Proceed South on Leighton, and turn left on 6th Street, 325 East 6th Street Built around 1887 by real estate broker A.R. Nininger, this house is an outstanding example of the “shingle style” originated by architect Henry Hobson Richardson. After the house was damaged by fire in the 1890’s, attorney John Knox remodeled the interior in the style of the Italian Renaissance. The third floor features a ballroom used as a music conservatory by Carrie Knox. Norwood, Arbery, Killian House 331 East 6th Street This two story white brick structure reflecting the Victorian architecture of the time was built on land bought by Green Norwood from the Woodstock Iron Company in 1985. Large bay windows grace the second level while both the front and rear porches have patterned openwork. Tyler Hill Historic District 6th Street and Lapsley Avenue, turn right A unique social point for one of the earliest residential areas and centered on a smoothly rising hill which peaks at a small square park surrounded by magnificient houses built in the 1880’s and 1890’s. The hill was once the property of Samuel Noble and Daniel Tyler’s Woodstock Iron Company but after the town opened to the public they decided to sell lots on the hill. Parker, Reynolds, Holland House >>Turn left to continue on 6th Street, 330 East 6th Street This chateau type structure with Gothic influences was built in 1888-1889 for Duncan T. Parker, first president of the First National Bank of Anniston. Architect George H. Kennerly, designed an exterior of red brick with granite quoin corners, arched stone portico, and a balcony grill work of cut granite blocks. Much of the interior woodwork was fashioned by Bavarian artisans, and the glass was imported from France. The landing above the stair hall features a cathedral-type stained glass window with a dogwood blossom motif. Stringfellow, Nichols House >>Continue on 6th, 402 East Sixth Street This multi-faced two story wooden structure with a step gabled roof and an open porch was built in 1889 by W.W. Stringfellow for his wife. Later, the Suzy Parker Stringfellow Memorial Hospital was named for her.
Frye, Jones House Look to the left, 411 East Sixth Street This two story wooden structure featuring both open and enclosed porches on the upper and lower levels was built in 1889 for John Frye, Jr., secretary/treasurer of the Anniston Water Supply Company. At one time Mrs. Maury, a sister of the second Mrs. Woodrow Wilson, lived in the home. >> Turn right on Knox Avenue >> Turn left onto E 5th Street >> Turn right onto Keith Avenue Highland Club-Sellers House This home will be on your left, 526 Keith Avenue Built by Lansing T. Smith in the 1890’s as the Highlands Golf Club, it originally contained two rooms. One now serves as the foyer while the Pullman kitchen is now the master bath. Smith, Cater House Across the street, 531 Keith Avenue Built in 1890 by Lansing T. Smith, who was often called Anniston’s “Father of Golf,” this beautiful two story white frame house existed in isolated country splendor for years, surrounded by acres of land with fields and mountains stretching to the east. Oak Tree Cottage >> Continue North on Keith Avenue, turn right on Oak Street, 721 Oak Street will be on your left Built in 1922 by Frederick O. Tyler, president of Anniston Manufacturing Company, the house has always been occupied by members of the Tyler family. >> Turn Left onto Highland Avenue Hillside Cemetery Highland Avenue and 10th Street This was Anniston’s first cemetery, where most of the founding and early prominent families are buried. By orders of the town council in 1877, the grounds were drained, graded and enclosed. Noble,McCaa, Butler House 1025 Fairmont Avenue Built in 1887 by George A. Noble, considered the inventor of the Noble family, this large two-story house of Victorian style with second story porches was filled with his own devices, including one to produce gas for illumination and another to provide water power to run the sewing machine, churn butter and blow the organ. The house is now painted an antique red with white trim. >>Turn right on Woodstock Avenue. Kilby House 1201 Woodstock Avenue This fine Georgian house built in 1914 was the home of Alabama Governor Thomas E. Kilby, who served from 1919 to 1923. Now used by the City Board of Education, the house features dormer windows on the hipped roof, an arched front entrance design with Ionic columns and closed porches with balustrades on each side.
Crowan Cottage 1427 Woodstock Avenue Built in 1887 by Samuel Noble for his parents, this quaint cottage, not readily seen from the street, was named for the Noble home place in England. The exterior of the modified Swiss chalet structure is of cedar shingles with brick quoin corners accenting the native stonework. In 1920 it became the property of General Robert E. Noble who willed it to Auburn University. Later the Board of Education purchased it. >> Turn left on 17th Street Centennial Memorial Park Corner of Quintard and 17th Street This park features Alabama’s tribute to Vietnam Veterans with a Memorial Wall that is 32 feet long, 8 inches thick and rises almost 7 feet in the center. It is engraved with the names of 1,205 Alabama Vietnam Veterans who died in the war. There are walls engraved with the names of Alabama’s WWI, WWII, Korea and Gulf War veterans who died serving their country. >> Turn left on Quintard Avenue The Hotel Finial 1604 Quintard Avenue Built in 1888, the Hotel Finial, the former Victoria Inn, is on the National Register of Historic Places. Representing Queen Anne Victorian architecture, the house still has its original woodwork, hardware, fireplaces with mantels, and stained glass. >> Turn right onto E 16th Street Turn Left on Noble Street Federal Building 1129 Noble Street Built in 1904-1906, this Greek revival building of Sylacauga marble features arched windows, Ionic columns, wreath design, and a balustraded flat roof. Designed by James Know Taylor, the building served as the post office until 1962. Security Bank 1030 Noble Street The brick building with a Valentine façade bordered in stone once housed a bank, organized in 1890 the bank failed to flourish. The second floor bay windows have now been remodeled. Winkle Drug Company 1010 Noble Street Established in 1880 by Dr. Jesse L. Winkle, druggist for the Woodstock Iron Company and early physician, the present building, erected in 1883, was one of the first brick buildings on Noble Street and originally boasted a triple arched portico and a front of iron, marble, and plate-glass windows, with lavish scrollwork medallions above the entrance bearing in ionic capitals the name J.W. Winkle. Caldwell Building 1001 Noble Street Completed in 1889, the 3-story brick building features an upper façade of semi-circular stone window arches, a large carved cornice, and quoin stonework. It was the first independently owned brick building erected on Noble Street. >>Turn right on 10th Street
Peerless Saloon 13 West 10th Street This green-roofed brick building is toped by a cupola and balustrade, and is an example of one of the fancy saloons built after the town voted out prohibition in 1890. Corinthian columns and a wreath design also adorn the front and ornately carved and mirrored back bar is prevalent inside. >>Turn right on Gurnee Avenue Freedom Riders Mural of the Civil Rights Heritage Trail 1031 Gurnee Avenue (The “Other Bus” mural is located at Corner of 9th and Noble) Murals in the alleyways of the old Greyhound and Trailways Bus stations depict scenes from when the Freedom Riders were attacked in Anniston on May 11, 1961. Freedom Riders Park under development. Calhoun County Courthouse 11th and Gurnee The cornerstone of this turn-of-the century design was laid on November 15, 1900 after the county seat moved from Jacksonville. The two story stone and brick structure featuring Corinthian columns, arched openings, and clock tower was remodeled after a 1931 fire. Additions were made in 1941, 1953, and 1963 with a renovation in 1992. >>Turn left on 13th Street >>Turn right on Moore Zinn Park Once the front lawn of Anniston Inn and named for early business leader William H. Zinn, it is the location of numerous outdoor concerts and community events. Anniston Inn Kitchen Across 14th Street, atop the hill, 130 West 15th Street The kitchen was originally part of the Anniston Inn, an elaborate Queen Anne style hotel completed by the Woodstock Iron Company in 1885. The main building, with its elaborate porches, balconies and grand staircase, was completely destroyed by fire in 1923. The remaining kitchen was maintained by the Women’s Civic Club. >>Follow Moore Avenue >>Turn left on 18th Street Proceed 6 blocks to Cobb Avenue St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church West 18th St. and Cobb Avenue This church was built by John Ward Noble in 1888 for the working men of West Anniston. A drive through the grounds of one of the finest late nineteenth century churches in Alabama shows the Romanesque style of architecture designed by William Hulsey Wood, the architect of St. John the Divine in New York City. Features include hand-carved stonework by Simon Jewell, an imposing 95-foot bell tower housing twelve bells, a series of memorial windows, hand-carved interior trusses by Bavarian woodcarvers, and an Italian marble altar. The Parish Hall contains a set of lithographs showing the history of Christianity, said to be the only set of its kind in existence.
>>Return to Quintard Avenue via 18th >>Turn left onto Quintard/431/21 >>Follow 21 North through Anniston toward Jacksonville. Lagarde Park The Anniston Museum of Natural History 800 Museum Drive The Anniston Museum of Natural History exhibits more that 2,000 natural history items on permanent display. There are exciting, diorama-style exhibits of pre-history with a life-sized Albertosaurus dinosaur model to the extremes of the African savannah, where a preserved African elephant rests under one of the worldâ€™s largest constructed baobab trees. One of the most fascinating exhibits is two Egyptian mummies from the Ptolemaic period. The Berman Museum of World History 840 Museum Drive The Berman Museum of World History exhibits more than 3,000 historical objects, works of art, and weapons spanning 3,500 years. >> Turn right onto Shipley Road/Baker Road Ft. McClellan Founded as Camp McClellan during the Spanish-American War this Fort was at its peak during WWII when over 27,000 soldiers made their way to Anniston in preparation for the war. Important areas to note include Historic Buckner Circle which encompassed the Officerâ€™s Quarters. In the Officers Club are fabulous wall murals painted by German and Italian prisoners of war housed at McClellan. German/Italian POW Cemetery 3543 Shipley Road Approximately 3500 German and Italian POWs were interned at Ft McClellan from 1943-1946. This memorial cemetery located near the western corner of the post is the final resting place for 26 German and 3 Italian prisoners of war who died during captivity. On the third Sunday in November, there is an annual ceremony to honor the fallen who are interred in the cemetery at Ft McClellan. >>Turn left onto Ossington Avenue >>Turn Right onto Terrace Club Road Terrace Club turns into Buckner Circle Buckner Event Plaza 412 Buckner Drive Buckner Events Plaza offers a 250-seat theatre, an exhibit hall/ conference center, arts studio/workshops and Wedding Venue. The Center has a rich heritage. It is one of the early McClellan buildings designed and constructed in the Spanish Colonial Revival style. This historic former Post Recreation Center has undergone major restoration/rehabilitation to become a regional venue for the arts. Three separate buildings, linked by an arcade of arches facing the ceremonial parade ground, compose the 32,000 square foot triad of concrete and masonry structures built in 1936. >> Turn left onto Headquarters Road >>Take roundabout to 4th exit, Baltzell Gate Road
>>Turn left on Hwy 21 >>Follow 21 North to Jacksonville Jacksonville Jacksonville was built on acreage purchased form the Creek Chief Ladiga, shortly after he had received the land under the terms of the Treaty of Cusseta of 1832. The treaty provided for the removal of the Creek Indians but set aside land for chiefs, heads of families and Indian orphans. Jacksonville became the first county seat of Benton County in 1833 and remained the seat until 1899 when records were moved to Anniston. The area progressed until its tranquility was broken by the Civil War. The greatest majority of its male citizens, including four generals and the “Gallant Pelham” from nearby Alexandria, fought for confederacy. Although remembered for its patriotic and cultural activities, Jacksonville is best known as an educational center. The present Jacksonville State University has a cultural heritage that began with the establishment of a male Academy in 1836. In 1869, a group of citizens raised money to create Calhoun College which became operational in 1871. In 1883, it progressed to the Jacksonville State Normal School. The school has continued to grow both in size and in importance and become, in time, Jacksonville State University. >>Turn left on Henry Farm Road (between Jacksonville Hospital and the Armory) >>Turn right on 2nd Avenue SW Old Henry Farm (Eagle Point Church, 301 Henry Road SW) Built in 1910 by Charles B. Henry as a state-of- the-art dairy farm complex, the building is on the National Register of Historic Places and is now used as a church. >> Turn right onton Branscomb Dr SW >> Turn left onto 21 Ten Oaks 805 South Pelham Road Built in 1850 by Captain James Cook, CSA, this stately home was the headquarters for General Beauregard, CSA in 1864. >>Turn right onto James Street SE Jacksonville Cemetery After his death in 1863, “The Gallant Pelham” was returned home and buried in the City Cemetery, where a statue was erected in 1905 to commemorate the fallen officer. September 11, 2002, a monument was unveiled honoring Army Major Dwayne Williams, killed in the Pentagon on September 11, 2001. Major Williams was laid to rest in Section 64 of the Arlington National Cemetery. >>Turn left onto Church Avenue St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Intersection of Ladiga and Church Consecrated in 1856, this beautiful English Gothic frame structure is Jacksonville’s oldest church building and is on the Alabama Register of Landmarks. >>Turn Left on Clinton
First Presbyterian Church Corner of Church and Clinton A gem of English architecture completed in 1865, it served as a hospital during the War Between the States and is on the National Register of Historic Places. >> Proceed on Clinton Town Square The 165 year old Public Square is the heart of Jacksonville as well as the Historic District. Much of Jacksonville’s history is commemorated by the historical markers. In 1883 the Great Fire swept the city resulting in the loss of 23 buildings. >>Cross the Town Square to the corner of Gayle and Clinton J.C. Francis Medical Museum and Apothecary Corner of Gayle and Clinton Built in 1850 by Dr. Francis, who served Jacksonville for more than 50 years, this combination general practitioner’s office/pharmacy was the first entry from Calhoun County to the National Register of Historic Place. Open by appointment call the Jacksonville Library at 256-435-6332. >>Turn left onto Gayle Avenue SW >>Turn left onto Ladiga Street SW >>Return to Square and go left to continue north on Hwy 21 The Magnolias 603 N. Pelham This lovely Italianate-style house was built by Judge Thomas A. Walker in 1850. The Alumni House/Roebuck House Corner of Pelham Road and Roebuck-Waters Drive Ornate eaves and balcony suggest Capt. Bellamy’s love for riverboats when he built this house about 1839. The original separate kitchen and office buildings are still intact. It is now the Alumni House for JSU.
Bibb Graves Hall 700 Pelham Road The administrative building and center of the Jacksonville State University campus was named for Governor Bibb Graves when it was completed in 1930. >>Proceed North on Hwy 21 (approximately 15 miles)
Piedmont In 1888, this area was named Piedmont—meaning 'Foot of the Mountains,’ which was pleasing to the people who enjoyed being nestled in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountain range surrounded with the scenic beauty of mountains and streams. The City of Piedmont has prime real estate as well as the infrastructure necessary for industrial and commercial growth. This area is home to the Chief Ladiga Trail and Terrapin Creek, perfect for any outdoor adventurer, with the Pinhoti Trail not very far away. For more information, visit www.piedmontcity.org. >>Turn left onto S Main Street >>Turn right onto Southern Blvd >>Turn left at 1st cross street, onto N Center Ave Piedmont’s Cross Plains Depot and Museum 173 N Center Avenue (256-447-9007 ) Construction was started on this depot before the Civil War but not completed until 1869. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and serves as a museum, featuring items from 1928 to the present. Sears-Roebuck House 311 N Center Avenue (across from the fire station) This two story Greek Revival mansion was ordered from the Sears-Roebuck catalog, shipped to Piedmont, then assembled on the site. >>Turn right onto Hood Street >>Turn right onto N Church Street >> Turn left onto E Ladiga Street >>Turn right onto Dailey Street Eubanks Welcome Center 202 Dailey Street ((256) 447-3363 ) It was built in 1889 for the Joseph Eubanks family, who operated the General Store. It was moved to its present location in 1998, and serves as the Welcome Center for the Chief Ladiga Trail, Alabama’s first Rails to Trails project. >>Take East Ladiga to Hwy 21S >>Turn Right onto Hwy 204 >>Turn left onto Hwy 431 >>Turn right onto AL 144 E Ohatchee Ohatchee is located in the northwest corner of Calhoun County and is positioned on the Coosa River. The 2000 census showed that the town had a population of 1,215. It is located along Highway 77, a thoroughfare connecting Talladega, Lincoln, and I-20 to the south with Gadsden and I-59 to the north. Several historic sites are located in the vicinity of Ohatchee including the site of the former Fort Strother at which Gen. Andrew Jackson was headquartered during part of the Creek Indian Wars in the early 1800's and Janney Furnace, which was a pig iron furnace built during the Civil War. Ohatchee's business environment includes fishing and recreational businesses, industrial companies, forestry related businesses, and a small retail and service district. >>Turn left onto McCullars Lane Lincoyer Monument McCullars Lane This monument was place to remember Lincoyer, the young boy saved by Andrew Jackson during the Battle of Tallusahatchees during the Creek Indian War.
>>Continue on McCullars Lake, >>Turn left on 144 >>Turn right on Harts Ferry Road >>Turn left onto Spring Road >>Turn right onto Janney Road. Janney Furnace 145 Janney Road Janney Furnace was built by Alfred A. Janney in 1863 and 1864 to produce pig iron during the Civil War for the Confederate States of America. Janney Furnace Park is home to the largest lack granite Confederate Memorial in the World. The Confederate and Native American Museum houses more than 150 War Between the States and more than 500 Native American artifacts from the surrounding area. The Museum is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesday through Thursday and Saturday from 12 to 5 p.m. Admission is free. >>Return to 144 >>Turn left then right onto 431 Return to Anniston, follow 21/431 South to Oxford >>turn left toward Choccolocco Street Oxford About the time the Creek Indians were departing from this area in 1832-1833, Sylvanus Simmons and Dudley Snow homesteaded lands in the newly created Benton County. The settlement was called â€œLickskillet.â€? The state legislature first incorporated the town with the name Oxford in 1852. By 1860 Oxford was linked to the outer world via the Alabama and Tennessee Rivers Railroad. Oxford became active as cotton and trading center on the eve of the Civil War. The presence of charcoal iron furnace attracted federal troops to the area in 1865 when they destroyed the furnace and much of the town. Despite the setbacks of the war, Oxford rebuilt, grew and prospered. Many of the structures on the tour are reminiscent of the postwar, Victorian years. >>Turn left on Hale Street >>Turn Right on Oak Street Robertson House 201 East Oak Street Built around 1870, this house is an unusual and significant expression of modified Gothic Revival in Northern Alabama. First Baptist Church 101 East Oak Street Organized in 1836, the congregation moved to this site when it was donated by E.S. Simmons in 1860. The first wooden frame structure was replaced by the present building in 1910. >>Turn left onto Main Street
City Park 415 Main Street During Oxford’s early years, this park was used as a wagon yard for farmers bringing their cotton into town to be sold. The farmers camped here overnight and the auctions were held in the early morning. In 1860, an early founder of Oxford deeded the site to the town for public use forever. Downtown Oxford Oxford was a thriving trading town and cotton sales center before the Civil War, when it was burned by Union soldiers. Oxford began to rebuild soon after the war. Of the present buildings, twelve were built before 1885 and twenty were built before 1900. >>Turn left onto Snow Street A drive down Snow Street and into historic downtown Oxford takes you into pre-civil history of this community. Architecture varies between Romanesque, Italianate, and Victorian Gothic. B.B. Walker House 125 Snow Street The house was built by local businessman B.B. Walker in 1907, and features notable Colonial Revival woodwork, including a molded handrail. The house is currently owned by the First United Methodist Church of Oxford. First United Methodist Church 212 Snow Street The Congregation was founded in 1849. The present Normanesque, oversized brick structure was begun in 1872. McCain, Whiteside House 210 Snow Street This Italianate house was built about 1875 by John McCain who owned the McCain Drugstore in Oxford. It includes many unusual features including a dry moat under the front porch and cast iron mantels. Clardy, Stewart House 312 Snow Street The builder of this antebellum, modified Greek Revival house is unknown. Portions of the house are fastened together with pegs and there is an unusual basement under the front portion of the house. >> Continue East on Snow Street, crossing 21/431 >>Turn Right onto McCullars Lane Coldwater Covered Bridge Don’t miss a visit to the Coldwater covered bridge located at Oxford Lake. One of the oldest remaining covered bridges in Alabama it was built in 1850 by a former slave in the “Kingsport Truss Design”. The bridge was fully restored and moved from Coldwater Creek to it present home in 1990 at Oxford Lake adjacent to the walking trail.
Other Sites: Historic Choccolocco Named by the Creek Indians, Choccolocco means “wide shallow stream with big shoals” which is an excellent description of the Choccolocco Creek. After the Federal Survey of Indian Lands was completed, Choccolocco Valley was opened in 1834. The William Mallory family was one of the first to come to this valley. The land was still Indian Territory. Mallory first set up a trading post near White Plains and according to folklore acquired several hundred acres of land on the creek directly from the Indians. In the 1830’s there was a crude road through Choccolocco Valley through a gap in the mountains and ran south to Oxford. The mail came by horseback and stage coach to White Plains where there was a post office as early as 1842. When the Georgia Pacific Railroad laid track through the valley the depot was placed at a spot convenient for the loading of ore. At about the same time three brickyards were built. The current population totals about one thousand individuals in 350 households. White Oak Vineyards 1484 Dry Hollow Road, Anniston, 256-231-7998 White Oak Vineyards is a small farm winery that grows the fruit used to produce wines for their trademark label, Southern Oak Wines. Their tasting room hours are on Fridays from 1-6 P.M. and Saturdays from 10 A.M. to 6 P.M. For more information, visit www.southernoakwines.com. Mountain Longleaf National Wildlife Refuge Bain Gap Road, Anniston, 256-848-7085 With more than 6,000 acres of former military base, this area was designated as a National Wildlife Refuge to protect a unique and endangered ecosystem, the mountain longleaf pine forest. About 400 years ago, it is believed more than 60 million acres of the southeast were longleaf pines; whereas, today, only 3 million acres remain off Highway 21. This land is also home to the Bains Gap Waterfall and trails. Each year, the City of Anniston’s Woodland Century Challenge invites cyclists to grind up this steep climb, through the forest as they finish their ride. Weaver Weaver is a very good example of small town life at its best. The City of Weaver is a growing community, with The Chief Ladiga Trail running through the city alongside Elwell Park and on throughout the county, north, towards Jacksonville. There is an Easter Egg Hunt in the spring, a Christmas Parade in December, and the annual Weaver Station Heritage Day Celebration held in the Fall. Come to Weaver and see for yourself that there is a jewel lying at the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, and you too will fall in love with the little town that’s a big city at heart. For more information, visit www.weaver-alabama.org. Hobson City Fewer than 1,000 people inhabit this small historic town, but its name is larger than life. Hobson City, located directly across from Oxford, was incorporated in 1899 by a small neighborhood of black citizens when the new mayor of Oxford gerrymandered the residents' homes out of the larger city. The displaced citizens refused to leave the area and simply created a city of their own.
We’re Here To Help! If you need more information or assistance during your trip to Calhoun County, contact us! You can talk to Calhoun County experts anytime, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by calling 256-237-3536. If you’re in Anniston, stop to see us at our Visitors’ Center, located in the Calhoun County Chamber of Commerce building at 1330 Quintard Avenue, Anniston, Alabama 36201. There’s more to see and do! Check out www.VisitCalhounCounty.com for more information and regional resources.