Page 5

2. About the Parish The Parish of Caldecote is located south of the A428, approximately six miles west of Cambridge and three miles east of Cambourne. It consists of the older village of Caldecote to the south and the newer development of Highfields Caldecote in the north. Nearby settlements are Hardwick and Toft to the east, Bourn to the west, Childerley to the north and Kingston to the south. Bourn Airfield lies on the north-west edge of the village. “Caldecote: a place-name meaning ‘cold or inhospitable cottages’, or shelters for travellers” (Oxford Dictionary of Place-Names) The older village of Caldecote is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The Parish church, St. Michael and All Angels, parts of which date to the 14th Century, is located in this part of the village. Bourn Brook, just south of the church, forms the southern boundary between the Parishes of Kingston and Caldecote. Highfields Caldecote, north of the old village, has grown significantly in recent years and is now much larger than the old village of Caldecote. There is a social club, primary school, village shop, hairdressing salon and a village hall. A petrol station is located just outside Highfields Caldecote on the former A428 road at Childerley Gate. The A428 was converted to a dual carriageway and was opened on 24 May 2007, easing driving to and from the village. By skilful negotiation, villagers were able to achieve a number of benefits in exchange for the new developments in Highfields: (1) a roundabout at the junction of the A428 and Highfields road which dramatically improved the queues to leave the village for commuters; (2) a contribution towards the expansion of the school; (3) a recreation ground; (4) a contribution towards a new village hall. The original village hall, constructed in 1931, was located immediately south of the Social Club, crucially at the entrance to Caldecote Phase 2 (now Clare Drive). The old village hall was Queue of traffic leaving Highfields demolished in 1997, and the new village hall was built in 1998. Caldecote to join the A428 prior to the roundabout

In 2001/2002 the site known as “Caldecote Phase 1” (the area west of Highfields Road including the shops and the village hall) was developed by Wilcon, and “Caldecote Phase 2” (the area east of Highfields Road, now Clare Drive) was developed by Wilcon and Bloor. The land was originally farmland used for grazing cattle, and owned by John Harrup and the Taylor Brothers from Bourn Grange. Before the building work could be started, an archaeological dig was performed. This showed that there were several round houses in the area in both the Bronze Age (c. 2500 B.C.) and the Iron Age (c. 750 B.C.). A number of interesting artefacts were also discovered, which today give their names 5

Profile for Simon Crocker

Caldecote Parish Plan  

We hope that you find this document informative and thought provoking – it contains a wealth of information about what residents think about...

Caldecote Parish Plan  

We hope that you find this document informative and thought provoking – it contains a wealth of information about what residents think about...

Advertisement