Check Out Tidbits® Home & Garden Directory
May 14, 2018 Issue 1180
OF THE MID COLUMBIA
ON PAGE 5
TRIVIA • NEWS • EVENTS • HUMOR Published weekly by Cabin Fever Media, LLC • (509) 544-2155 • email@example.com • ©2018 All Rights Reserved
‘14 NISSAN TITAN PRO 4X4 Clean Carfax, 5.6L V8 DOHC LOW MILES! ‘06 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED 4X4
Clean CARFAX, center console shifter, bucket seats, AC, digital dash.
‘11 HONDA FIT SPORT
Clean Carfax, 1.5L I4, tinted glass, navigation, power steering, Bluetooth.
‘08 KIA SPECTRA LX
Clean Carfax, 4.7L V8 SOHC, tinted glass, leather seats, tow pkg.
‘10 FORD F-150 LARIAT 4X4
SHOP FROM OVER 1600 VEHICLES AT NWMSROCKS.COM All vehicles available for Tri-Cities delivery.
Clean Carfax, 5.4L V8 SOHC 24V, backup camera, trailer brakes, Bluetooth.
‘17 MITSUBISHI MIRAGE ES
1.2L I3, clean Carfax, center console shifter, bucket seats, power mirrors.
‘10 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR L 4X4
‘10 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE 1500 LTZ 4X4
Clean Carfax, 2.9L I4 DOHC 16V, tinted glass, bedliner, tow pkg.
Clean Carfax, 4.6L V8, center console shift, leather, alloy wheels, spoiler.
ONLY 26K MILES!
‘18 DODGE CHARGER R/T
Clean Carfax, 5.3L V8 OHV 16V, backup camera, Bluetooth, tow pkg., Tonneau cover.
‘06 FORD MUSTANG GT PREMIUM
‘09 CHEVROLET COLORADO LT RWD
5.4L V8 SOHC 24V, moonroof, backup camera, leather seats, ent. system, tow pkg.
32V, backup camera, lifted, tow pkg., tinted glass & so much more!
‘15 JEEP WRANGLER UNL. 4X4
Clean Carfax, 5.7L V8 OHV 16V, spoiler, Bluetooth, electronic climate control.
Clean Carfax, 3.6L V6 DOHC 24V, backup camera, heated seats.
LIK E NEW !
• Who hasn’t heard of Bob Barker, long-time host of “The Price is Right”? When World War II broke out, Barker enlisted in the U.S. Navy and trained as a fighter pilot. Post-war, he received a degree in economics. Barker’s first game show gig came along on the last day of 1956, hosting “Truth or Consequences” until 1974. “The Price is Right” started up in 1972, where Barker remained until 2007, collecting 14 Emmy Awards for Outstanding Game Show Host. He also served as the host of the Miss Universe and Miss USA pageants for 20 years, the longest-serving host of those pageants. • Former Marine Corps reservist, bank teller, Denny’s waiter, and stand-up comic Drew Carey took the reins from Bob Barker. Carey had starred in his own comedy show for nine years, starting out with a salary of $60,000 per episode, which was later raised to $300,000, and culminating at $750,000 per episode in the program’s final season.
• Between 1961 and 1980, Allen Ludden was the host of television’s LOW MILES! “Password.” Ludden was well-equipped to deal with the word game, having received a Master of LOW $ $ $ Arts in English from the MILES! STK #50428 STK #49900 STK #50695 STK #49550 University of Texas. Prior to his show biz career, 816 N. 28th Ave • Pasco, WA 99301 • 509-204-4081 • NWMSROCKS.COM All prices are subject to tax, title and licensing. A negotiable dealer documentary service fee of up to $150 may be added to the sale price or capitalized cost. he had achieved the rank of captain in the U.S. Army during World War II, and was awarded a Bronze Star. He met his wife, actress Betty White, on “Password,” and the pair enjoyed nearly 18 years of marriage before Allen succumbed to stomach cancer in 1981. Betty White has never remarried, and is quoted as saying, “Once you’ve had the best, who needs the rest?”
‘17 TOYOTA TACOMA TRD OFF ROAD 4X4
One owner, clean CARFAX, premium wheels, backup camera.
TV Hosts You May Know!
‘17 JEEP WRANGLER UNL. SOCOM 4X4
Clean Carfax, premium wheels, leather seats, 3.6L V6.
‘16 DODGE RAM 1500 SPORT 4X4 Clean CARFAX, lifted, 5.7L V8, moonroof, backup camera, Bluetooth.
CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT CLASS MULTI-STATE THURSDAY MAY 17TH RANCH & HOME KENNEWICK 845 N. Columbia Center Blvd.
6PM CLASS ONLY!
Oregon Included No Fee
Oregon Only $45
Shaun Curtain 360-921-2071
or email: FirearmTrainingNW@gmail.com | www.FirearmTrainingNW.com
‘16 FORD F-250 LARIAT 4X4
Clean CARFAX, 6.7L V8 Powestroke turbo diesel, backup camera.
• Johnny Carson was another World War II veteran-turnedTV host, having served in the U.S. Navy aboard the USS Pennsylvania in the Pacific. As an ensign, he also was quite the amateur boxer with a record of 10-0. Johnny was a born entertainer, having purchased a magician’s kit at age 12, as well becoming adept at card tricks. He made his debut as “The Great Carson” at the local Kiwanis Club at age 14, wearing a cape sewn by his mother. He continued his magic shows into college while he majored in speech and drama. After graduation, he began his career in radio and television at an Omaha, Nebraska station. Carson became the host of “The Tonight Show” in 1962 and held the position until 1992, earning six Emmys over the years. • Long before “Deal or No Deal,” Howie Mandel owned a successful carpet business in Toronto. In his spare time, he did stand-up comedy at a small local comedy club. In 1982, he landed the role of Dr. Wayne Fiscus on television’s Emmy Award-winning medical drama “St. Elsewhere,” a six-yearrun. At a time when he was contemplating quitting show business in 2003, he was offered the job of hosting “Deal,” hosting both the U.S. and Canadian versions. This job was made especially difficult by his struggles with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and mysophobia, an irrational fear of germs. Mandel did not shake hands with any of the contestants unless he was wearing latex gloves, preferring to do a “fist bump” instead. He has written about his anxiety disorder in his autobiography, Here’s the Deal: Don’t Touch Me, a New York Times bestseller. Text by Tidbits Media, Inc.
Reach the Tri-Cities’
TOTAL MARKET covering Southeastern Washington and Northeastern Oregon.
Do you want customers that spend? TIDBITS READER INCOME*
21% under $20K
Our readers are families and professionals who live in the community where they spend their money.
Advertisers stay with Tidbits® BECAUSE IT WORKS!
Call Tidbits® for advertising rates and more information on how we can help your business succeed!
9% over $100K
*Results based on a study done by Washington State University
READ TIDBITS ONLINE!
Published weekly by Cabin Fever Media, LLC (509) 544-2155 firstname.lastname@example.org ©2018 All Rights Reserved
Another Stupid Human Trick NEW YORK - Police in “The Big Apple” were puzzled as to why a man with no apparent mental problems would leap to his death from a high-rise building. Ian Honeycutt, 28, of Glenview, Ill., was visiting family. He was not despondent and left no suicide note. When investigators talked to the family, they found out. His aunt didn’t want him smoking in her 9th-floor apartment, so Honeycutt either leaned out a window or would sit on the windowsill. On that particular day, winds were gusting up to 45 mph and Mr. Honeycutt, who weighed less than 100 pounds, was taken for a ride! “The guy’s 90 pounds soaking wet,” a police spokesman said. The death was ruled an accident.
Premonitions? • After having nightmares for ten consecutive nights about a DC-10 crash, Cincinnati office manager David Booth called American Airlines on May 22, 1979. Three days later, 273 people died when an American DC-10 crashed at Chicago. • “Fugitive” star David Jensen had a dream in 1980 where he saw himself being carried out in a coffin after a heart attack. His psychic’s advice to go in for a physical came too late, for two days later Jensen died of a massive heart attack.
Click On “READ TIDBITS ONLINE”
SPRING SALES EVENT Going On Now! ‘01 Chevy Blazer 4x4
4.3L V6, split folding rear seat, alloy wheels, automatic headlights, roof rack. 15/20 MPG
‘00 Toyota Sienna
BAD CREDIT • NO CREDIT JUDGEMENTS • DIVORCE BANKRUPTCY • NEW JOB REPOSESSIONS NEW TO AREA
3.0L V-6, 3rd row seats, rear air conditioning, steering wheel mounted audio controls, rear wiper. 18/24 MPG
ONLY $ 4,500
ONLY $ 3,995
‘09 Kia Optima LX
‘06 Volvo S80 2.5T
‘93 Chevy C1500 Ext. Cab
ONLY $ 5,000
ONLY $ 5,995
ONLY $ 6,995
2.4L I-4, remote keyless entry, steering wheel mounted audio controls, security system, heated door mirrors. 22/32 MPG
2.5L I-5, leather, moonroof, memory seat, auto temperature control, front dual zone A/C. 20/27 MPG
SUPER LOW MILES, SUPER CLEAN INSIDE AND OUT!! Hard Tonneau cover. 17/22 MPG
‘08 Mazda 3i
‘04 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
ONLY $ 6,995
ONLY $ 7,995
4.3L V-8, navigation, auto temp control, leather, power moonroof, rain sensing wipers, front dual zone AC. 17/22 MPG
2.0L I-4, split folding rear seat, steering wheel mounted audio controls, super clean inside and out! 23/31 MPG
‘06 Mercedes-Benz S-500
5.0L V-8, leather, headlight cleaning, front dual zone AC, power moonroof, auto-dimming rearview mirror, automatic temp control. 16/24 MPG
ONLY $ 8,500
• On the morning of April 14, 1865, Julia Grant, wife of US General Ulysses S. Grant had a strong feeling that she and her husband should get out of Washington. As they were leaving, the couple passed John Wilkes Booth on his way to assassinate President Lincoln at the theatre. Grant was also found to be on Booth’s death list.
‘06 Chevy Avalanche 1500 5.0L V-8, remote keyless entry, steering wheel mounted audio controls, Tonneau cover, front dual zone AC. 14/18 MPG
ONLY $ 10,500
‘14 Hyundai Elantra GT 2.0L I-4, Bluetooth, heated front seats, remote keyless entry, steering wheel mounted audio controls. 24/33 MPG
ONLY $ 10,995 #2471
4123 W. Clearwater Ave. Kennewick, WA Call (509) 987-1033
*On approved credit. All prices plus tax, license and $150 negotiable documentary service fee. Stock & VINs at dealer. One vehicle unless otherwise noted. Subject to prior sale. Prices good through 05-20-18.
Tidbits of the Mid-Columbia • email@example.com • www.TidbitsOfTheMidColumbia.com • May 14, 2018 • Issue 1180 • Page 01
RICHLAND 2761 Duportail St (509) 491-3301 via Mastercard ® Reward Card after submission† when you buy a set of four new select BFGoodrich ® tires.
PASCO 1324 N 4th Ave (509) 547-1724 PASCO COMMERCIAL 3306 N Commercial Ave (509) 547-8998
OFFER RUNS MAY 16 – MAY 29, 2018 * Get $50 via Mastercard® Reward Card after submission when you buy a set of four new BFGoodrich ® passenger or light truck tires. (BFGoodrich ® g-Force™ Sport COMP-2,™ g-Force™ COMP-2™ A/S, All-Terrain T/A® KO2 and Mud-Terrain T/A® KM2 tires qualify for a $70 Reward Card.) See redemption form for a full list of qualifying tires.
www.tirefactory.com www.pascotirefactory.com † Reward Card eligibility is limited to tire purchases from participating dealers only. See redemption form for complete offer details. Offer expires 05/29/2018. Void where prohibited. The Reward Card expires six (6) months after issuance. No cash access. Fees apply. Reward Card issued by U.S. Bank National Association pursuant to a license from Mastercard International Incorporated. Mastercard is a registered trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated. Copyright © 2018 MNA, Inc. All rights reserved.
Tidbits of the Mid-Columbia • firstname.lastname@example.org • For Advertising Call (509) 544-2155 • May 14, 2018 • Issue 1180 • Page 02
Our street address remains the same, but now you’ll ﬁnd us in Suite 17 at the Marineland Medical & Professional Building.
WEIRD ADAPTATIONS . . . This Tribe Can Stay Underwater for Up to 13 Minutes at a Time!
& BRAKE CENTER
• Quality Workmanship • Professional Service • Reasonable Prices • Speedy Turnaround
MOVING SPECIAL! RELINES
AMERICAN EAGLE MUFFLER
1503 N. 4th • Pasco
CONSULTAS GRATIS AL 509-205-7915 Most insurances accepted.
INDONESIA - Known as ‘Sea Gypsies’, the Bajau people have wandered the waters of southern Asia for thousands of years, living in house boats and free diving for fish. They’ve long been known for their ability to stay underwater for long periods of time, but until recently, no one really knew how they were able to keep their breath for so long. According to a recently published study from Cambridge University, the Bajau people have 50 percent larger spleens than their land-dwelling neighbours, which plays a key role in how long they can stay underwater. It plays a key part in what’s known as the “human dive response” or “dive reflex”, preferentially distributing oxygen to the brain and Benjamin Franklin devised the first wet suit for divers, heart, and enabling submersion for long periods of time. as well as a primitive version of today’s flippers. As the heart rate slows, blood is directed to the vital organs, and the spleen contracts to push oxygenated red blood cells into the circulation. In an average person, the spleen can boost oxygen levels by 9 percent, but even more in the case of the Bajau, due to its unusually REGULAR PRICES ON SLIGHTLY BLEMISHED CHAIRS large size. Melissa Ilardo, who embarked on this groundbreaking research for her PhD, spent several months with the Bajau, in Jaya Bakti, Indonesia, conducting ultrasound scans and taking genetic samples, and comparing OU R PRICES them with their land-based neighbours, the CAN’T BE Saluan. Analysis showed that the Bajau have BEAT! permanently enlarged spleens that get bigger Up To 40% Off only when diving. Regular Prices On New Chairs DNA analysis revealed that the Bajau have ANYTHING YOU NEED FOR YOUR HOME OR HOME OFFICE a gene called PDE10A, which is lacking in the 323 W. CLARK • PASCO, WA • (509) 547-7593 Saluan. Scientists believe that it is gene that Limited to stock on hand. May have slight imperfections. alters the Sea Nomads’ spleen size by adjusting thyroid hormone levels. 5219 W. Clearwater, Suite 17 • Kennewick, WA Marineland Medical & Professional Building
OFFICE CHAIR BLOWOUT
UP TO 60% OFF
But Jesus looked at them and said, “With people [as far as it depends on them] it is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
Matthew 19:26 - AMP
Another Case of Zero Tolerance WISCONSIN - To help raise money for the marching band at Germantown High School, parent Ted Stephenson donated $10,000 worth of “Catch’Em, Clean’Em and Cook’Em” fishing kits for the school to sell. When the truck arrived at the school with the 2,200 kits, Principal Janet Barnes refused the shipment because they included filet knives. “It was meant as a good thing,” declared School Board President George Sloan, “but it was an act of extreme dumbness” for Stephenson to donate kits with knives in them. “You can’t have an arsenal on school property, and 2,000 knives is an arsenal.”
Did You Know? From the monarchs’ investment of $6,000 in Columbus’s first voyage, Spain had a return of $1,750,000 in gold after only one century.
1,000 WILL GO EVERY SATURDAY! $
Monday & Thursday (10:30 & 12:30) Friday, Saturday & Sunday (10:30, 12:30, 6:30 & 9:30)
Children 10-17 may play with Parent/Guardian, adult must have proper ID. Call for details.
Operated by Columbia Center Rotary
6222 W. JOHN DAY AVE. KENNEWICK, WA (509) 783-2416 • 800-890-6485 www.bingoblvd.com
CAUTION: Participation in gambling activity may result in pathological gambling behavior causing emotional and financial harm. For help, call 1-800-547-6133.
Tidbits of the Mid-Columbia • email@example.com • www.TidbitsOfTheMidColumbia.com • May 14, 2018 • Issue 1180 • Page 03
FREE ESTIMATES! YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD MEDICAL SUPPLY STORE
1019 Wright Avenue Richland, WA (509) 943-3354
WE SERVICE WHAT WE SELL!
The perfect accessibility option for residential settings when you’re looking for something sturdier and more permanent than a portable ramp. This American-made modular system consists of ramps, stairs, and platforms, all of which may be combined and conﬁgured in a variety of ways to provide a customized ﬁt to your home. Made of durable aluminum.
Locally Owned & Operated by People Who Care!
Si hablo español
Cash, check or credit cards accepted.
ALSO OFFERING OSTOMY SUPPLIES, WOUND CARE SUPPLIES, INCONTINENCE SUPPLIES , MOBILITY PRODUCTS, & MEDICAL CARE SUPPLIES
FASHION FRANCE . . .
This Half-A-Blazer Will Only Set You Back A Little!
Some Say This Newly Completed Floating Russian Power Plant Could Be A Nuclear Titanic . . . RUSSIA – While some countries like Germany are on track to completely phase out nuclear power plants by 2022, Russia’s is building more of them and even making them floatable so they can provide power to remote areas. Looking exactly like what you would imagine a floating power plant to look like, the Akademik Lomonosov is certainly an impressive sight to behold. Its mission, to provide power to in remote regions of Russia’s extreme north and far east, is also quite interesting, as it allows Russia to significantly cut costs by just towing the ship to where it is needed, instead of moving machinery across land. Built by state-controlled nuclear company Rosatom, the Akademik Lomonosov’s 48MW reactor was supposed to be loaded with nuclear fuel right in the Sankt
FRANCE - Unravel Project, a non-conformist luxury fashion brand created by French designer Ben Taverniti, is taking the ‘less is more’ concept to a whole new level with a deconstructed blazer that consists of half an actual blazer. Luckily, what this intriguing garments lacks in fabric, it more than makes up in price, costing a whopping $1,450.
Now You Can Own An Affordable Franchise! Available in ALL of Tri-Cities, Prosser & Benton City With Very Low Down Janitorial Franchise (Ofﬁce Cleaning)
We Provide Training, Equipment, Supplies and Customers!
(509) 922-1499 DID YOU KNOW...most tropical marine fish could survive in a tank filled with human blood.
COMPUTER LASER ALIGNMENT
• BIG RIGS • MOTORHOMES • BUSES
YOUR AUTHORIZED DEALER
SALES • SERVICE • PARTS
NEXT TO KING CITY
JIM’S PACIFIC GARAGES, INC.
Petersburg shipyard where it was constructed, but due to safety concerns, it will instead be towed to the Arctic for testing. Russian state media has announced that a second floating nuclear power plant is scheduled for completion in 2019, and has suggested that such ships could be marketed to other countries in the future. Interestingly, the Akademik Lomonosov is not the world’s first floating nuclear power plant. That title belongs to the Sturgis, a US Army barge that was installed in Panama during the Vietnam War. It was fitted with a 10MW nuclear reactor and provided electricity in the area until 1976. It was decontaminated and prepared for long-term storage in 1977, but the dismantling process is still taking place 40 years later, due to the intense radiation levels.
• The language of Taki, spoken in parts of French Guinea, consists of only 340 words.
• The people of Curacao, at the base of the Caribbean Sea, descend from more than fifty ethnic groups. Their native language, Papiamento, is a Creole mixture of Dutch, African, Portuguese, Spanish, English, French, and Arawak Indian.
2708 N. COMMERCIAL AVENUE • PASCO, WA • (509) 547-7770
ACROSS 1 Swelled head 4 Marble chunk 8 Taj Mahal city 12 “You’ve got mail” co. 13 Carry on 14 Hairstyle 15 Hollywood trickery, for short 16 Basin accessory 17 Greek vowel 18 Firetruck gear 21 “- Impossible” 22 Officeholders 23 Bocce equipment 26 Coquettish 27 Coll. transcript no. 30 Fairy tale preposition 31 Unc’s kid 32 Witticism 33 Kitten’s comment 34 Wield oars 35 Choral composition 36 Jewel 37 Dine 38 Free from responsibility 45 PC picture 46 Tramcars’ contents 47 Grand --,
N.S. 48 “Vanilla Sky” actress Penelope 49 Verifiable 50 Slithery swimmer 51 Continental coin 52 Actress Hatcher 53 Filch
6 On in years 7 “Symphonie Fantastique” composer 8 Low-pH chemicals 9 Suitable 10 Ceremony 11 Somewhere out there 19 Potter’s need 20 Whatever number DOWN 23 Vagrant 1 Apiece 24 Mimic 2 Disco style 25 Depressed 3 Hodgepodge 26 Intimidate 4 Casual wear 27 Eviscerate 5 Homes for 28 Chart format gnomes? 29 Likely
31 Ease 32 Hebrew letter 34 Ump 35 Oats-nuts fruit concoction 36 Hook-nosed Muppet 37 Rid of fleece 38 Grown-up nits 39 Beige 40 Go sightseeing 41 Genealogy chart 42 Oil cartel 43 Sandwich treat 44 Iodine source
Tidbits of the Mid-Columbia • firstname.lastname@example.org • For Advertising Call (509) 544-2155 • May 14, 2018 • Issue 1180 • Page 04
OPEN TUESDAY THRU SATURDAY HARLEY SPECIALIST
MOTORCYCLE CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
With Experience in ALL Makes & Models! Call For Your “Will is an amazing bike Appointment Today! mechanic!”
Ken W., Tri-Cities
416 S. OLYMPIA ST. • KENNEWICK, WA beastperformancemr.com
TIDBITS® HAS THE FACTS ON TV HOSTS by Kathy Wolfe
We’ve invited these people into our living room for decades. This week, Tidbits invites you to examine the details on these television hosts.
Leather Jackets, Chaps & Vests Wiley X Glasses • Gator-Skinz Helmets • Accessories • Bags
Follow us on Facebook at Renegade Classics of Tri-Cities
4018 W Clearwater Ave, Suite C Kennewick, WA (509) 627-3616 RenegadeKennewick.com
• Dick Clark first gained • “Dancing with the Stars” host real fame as the Tom Bergeron started out as host of “American a disc jockey at a Haverhill, Bandstand” from Massachusetts, radio 1957 to 1987, station. After appearing where many as a regular guest host famous artists, on “Good Morning, including Prince, America,” he became Jackson 5, Sonny the host of “Hollywood and Cher, and Squares” in 1998, and Aerosmith, got their was nominated for five start. Clark’s first job Emmys. He moved on to “America’s Funniest in the broadcasting Home Videos,” a position he held for 14 years. industry was at age 16 He’s been doing the dancing gig since 2005. when he started as a mail • Nearly everyone recognizes the face of Pat Sajak, “Wheel clerk at a Rome, New York, radio of Fortune” host since 1983. But Sajak has a long list of other station owned by his uncle. It accomplishments. Born Patrick Sajdak, he started as didn’t take long for him to move a radio newsman while still in college, along with into the relief weatherman slot. working as a hotel desk clerk. At 22, he served During college, Clark worked in the Vietnam War as a disc jockey for the at a country music station, and American Forces Vietnam Network. After a few after graduation, nabbed his first gigs as a broadcaster and weatherman, Sajak television host job, that of “Cactus took the helm at the “Wheel.” Sajak was a regular Dick and the Santa Fe Riders,” a substitute host for “Larry King Live” and country music program. In later “Live with Regis and Kelly,” as well as years, Clark hosted the game hosting his own short-lived late-night show “Pyramid,” and broadcast talk show and a program on the Fox “New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” live from News Channel. He also had a stint Times Square from 1973 to 2004, on the daytime soap opera “Days when he suffered a stroke. of Our Lives.” Sajak keeps his radio roots close, hosting a syndicated radio sports talk show, as well as owning a radio station in Maryland.
EQUIPMENT FEED & PET
Your Authorized LS Tractor Dealer PLUS Quality Pet Food & Supplies
10 OFF %
VOLKMAN BIRD SEED & SMALL ANIMAL FEED Limited to stock on hand. ®
MANY VARIETIES TO CHOOSE FROM!
Natural, Clean, Convenient & Easy To Use.
LEASHES, COLLARS & HARNESSES • SHAMPOOS & CONDITIONERS TOYS & TRAINING TOOLS • PET FOODS & TREATS • FLEA PROTECTION & MORE!
10 OFF %
NULO PET FOOD
Limited to stock on hand.
Shoots a shotgun spray of regular table salt and decimates flies on contact. A surefire fun way to enjoy a disgusting task. Rid your house of all those pesky pests and have a blast while doing it. IN STOCK NOW!
2155 Stevens Dr. • Richland, WA (509) 374-3398 MONDAY-FRIDAY 9AM-6PM • SATURDAY 9AM-4PM
• Before there was Pat Sajak, there was Chuck Woolery, who was the first host of “Wheel of Fortune,” beginning in 1975. It wasn’t Woolery’s intention to host TV shows. After a stint in the U.S. Navy and a job as a salesman for Pillsbury, he headed to Nashville to form the rock band Avant Garde. After a Top 40 hit in 1968, the band recorded five records that went nowhere and became “one-hit wonders.” Merv Griffin chose Woolery to host his new game show “Wheel of Fortune,” where Woolery remained for the next six years. When the show’s ratings skyrocketed, Woolery demanded a salary increase from $65,000 a year to $500,000. His contract was not renewed and Sajak replaced him. After a twoyear hiatus, Woolery began his 11 years of hosting “Love Connection,” while hosting “Scrabble” at the same time. Woolery claims that during the 2,000 episodes of “Love Connection,” 22,000 couples met, resulting in 29 marriages and 15 children. He moved on to “The Dating Game” in 1997 for three seasons, and “Lingo,” which aired from 2002 to 2007. • Canada-born Alex Trebek has been the face of “Jeopardy” since 1984. After obtaining a degree in philosophy from the University of Ottawa, Trebek set out on a career in broadcasting, starting out with the Canadian Broadcasting Company as a newscaster and sportscaster. In 1973, at age 33, he moved to America and became the host of a new game show “The Wizard of Odds.” He moved on to “High Rollers” and “Battlestars” before the revival of “Jeopardy.”
Trebek took on the hosting job of “Clas Concentration” in 1 and “To Tell the Tru in 1991, making his as the first person host three game sh at the same time. Trebek is a renown philanthropist, hav donated $2 million to the Santa Monic $7.5 million to the U funds a Leadership who demonstrate c has participated in troops on several o 2014, Trebek overt gameshow episode time, Trebek had h
• “You might be a r up comedian and h TV personality sta technology an became mor in his resigna “Are You Sm American B Baking Com comedy re author of 2 week to lea group that s grown to mo
Tidbits of the Mid-Columbia • email@example.com • www.TidbitsOfTheMidColumbia.com • May 14, 2018 • Issue 1180 • Page 05
Tidbits Home & Garden Directory ®
2155 Stevens Drive Richland, WA 509-374-3398
The Number One Manufacturer For Three Years In A Row!
REGULATE YOUR HOME’S TEMPERATURE & SAVE!
• Helps cool & protect your home’s interior • Improved privacy FREE • Attractive appearance ESTIM ATES!
SAME DAY TURNAROUND Different tint levels available. RESIDENTIAL • COMMERCIAL Cars & Trucks • RVs • Boats • Tractors • Travel Trailers
210 N. Perry St. • Kennewick, WA
(509) 438-3456 aqualitywindowtint.com
Search homes LIKE AN AGENT HomeScout
• Remote Start Capable • 3000 watts, 120V AC power • Super quiet operation • Runs up to 20 hours on 3.4 gal of fuel
Download the HomeScout™ app. Enter the VIP code
1350 Spaulding Avenue | Suite 200 Richland, WA 99352
(509) 547-8818 • MON-SAT 8AM-6PM
Locally owned and operated by the Wattenburger family since 1937.
& VINYL, TOO! Designed to meet your needs! • Ranch Rails • Picket Fencing • Arbor Packages
Serving the Your Locally Owned & Operated Mid-Columbia Since 1999 Premier Source For Wood & Vinyl Fencing
(541) 667-8191 • 80764 N. Hwy 395 • Hermiston AllThatWood.com
ned ving n worth of land in north Hollywood ca Mountains Conservancy and University of Ottawa. He also p Award at the University to those community leadership. Trebek n 13 USO tours, visiting American overseas military bases. In took Bob Barker’s record of the most es hosted on the same program. At that hosted 6,829 episodes of “Jeopardy.”
redneck” if you know much about standhost Jeff Foxworthy. This Georgia-born arted out with a degree in computer nd a job at IBM. Making people laugh re important than the job, and he turned ation. His hosting duties have included marter than a 5th Grader?”, “The Bible Challenge,” and “The American mpetition.” He’s the largest-selling ecording artist in history as well as the 26 books. Yet he takes time out each ad a Bible study with homeless men, a started out with 15 members, and has ore than 100. Text by Tidbits Media, Inc.
Images for illustrations purposes only. Sale ends May 26, 2018
Cherry Creek Mortgage Co., Inc., NMLS # 3001. HomeScout® is free home finding service provided directly to consumers by HBM2, a licensed real estate brokerage. ©2017 Home Buyers Marketing II, Inc. (HBM2).
• Cedar • Fence Boards • Rails • Pergolas
REG. COLUMBIA GRAIN PRICE $1,999
20 TH & LEWIS ST. • PASCO, WA
(509) 735-6603 | CherryCreekTC.com
e ssic 1987 uth” story to hows
*Read the owner’s manual before operating Honda Power Equipment.
Available on the App Store and Google Play.
• Vinyl • Treated Fir • Posts • Gates
2 WEEKS ONLY
• On May 26, 1897, the first copies of the classic vampire novel “Dracula,” by Irish writer Bram Stoker, appear in London bookshops. In 1890, Stoker published his first novel, “The Snake’s Pass.” He would go on to publish 17 novels in all, but it was “Dracula” that eventually earned him literary fame.
• On May 21, 1927, American pilot Charles A. Lindbergh lands at Le Bourget Field in Paris, successfully completing the first solo, nonstop trans-Atlantic flight. The flight of the Spirit of St. Louis between New York and Paris took 33-1/2 hours. Six men had died attempting the same flight. • On May 23, 1934, famed fugitives Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker are killed when police ambush their car near Sailes, Louisiana. They died in a two-minute fusillade of 167 bullets.
• On May 25, 1935, at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh, Babe Ruth hits his 714th home run, a record for career home runs that would stand for almost 40 years.
• On May 22, 1958, American singer Jerry Lee Lewis arrives in England as a newly married man, with his pretty young wife in tow. Within days, it was revealed that his new wife, Myra Gail Lewis, was actually only 13 years old and was his first cousin once-removed. (c) 2018 Hearst Communications, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Last kiss? Final hours of loved-up gangsters Bonnie and Clyde before they were gunned down revealed in previously unseen photograph. The picture of the gangsters’ embrace was taken in Joplin shortly before their pursuers got wind of their whereabouts and they had to flee quickly. This affectionate shot of Bonnie and Clyde is believed to be from a film they were unable to develop at the time because they had to flee officers who had discovered they were in the vicinity. Around 107 rounds were said to have been fired at Bonnie and Clyde after they were ambushed in Louisiana - their bodies took 50 bullets each. Their bodies were pulled through the city, where people tried to cut off hair, clothing, fingers and even an ear off of Clyde.
Tidbits of the Mid-Columbia • firstname.lastname@example.org • For Advertising Call (509) 544-2155 • May 14, 2018 • Issue 1180 • Page 06
Life is Better in the Country!
Live in a wonderful family community!
73,900 TAX MATCH
Price not for all homes
Financing Available Aﬀordable Down Payments Purchase With Your ITIN # WALK-INS WELCOME!
Receive up to $1,000 towards the down payment on one of our homes! Do you know someone looking to purchase? Send them to us and if they purchase, you receive $500 at the close of escrow!
Call today! 509.308.6754 • 509.563-3003
SANTIAGO COUNTRY VIEW ESTATES 200802 E. Game Farm Rd. • Kennewick, WA
Homes sold by Santiago Sales | Santiagosales.com | 888.563.3003 The state of Texas is the only state in the nation that has been under six flags, which includes the flags of Spain, France, Mexico, the Lone Star Republic of Texas, the Confederate States of America, and the United States.
THE PIT BULL PEN is the area’s only Pit Bull & Bully “DRONE CAREERS. Breed Rescue, a foster based Prepare for FAA Unmanned 501c3 rescue. Help save Aircraft System operator abused, abandoned & neglected certificate for commercial use. pits. Visit our Facebook page! Weekend courses available in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Las WANT TO FIND A Vegas, Kansas City, Oakland, LOVING PET? Dogs & Philadelphia, Virginia Beach puppies, cats & kittens, and DC. Call AIM 877-202- you’ll find them at Tri-Cities 0386. www.AIMUAS.com” Animal Control, 1312 S. 18th
HEALTH & MEDICAL SUPPLIES
St. in Pasco. (509) 545-3740. Make room in your heart for a shelter pet! VOLUNTEER DOG WALKERS NEEDED! Contact TCAS for more info!
“48 PILLS + 4 FREE! VIAGRA 100MG/ CIALIS 20mg Free Pills! No hassle, VISIT OUR NEW POPP Discreet Shipping. Save Now. ADOPTION CENTER Call Today 1-877-560-0842” Saturdays, 11am-4pm to meet adoptable puppies & dogs at our new address, 5811 W Van Giesen Street in West ITEMS FOR EVERYONE Richland, 509-943-4722. “WANTS TO PURCHASE Adoptable kittens & cats at minerals and other oil & PetSmart in Kennewick on gas interests. Send details Saturdays & Sundays. Foster P.O. Box 13557, Denver, Co families needed! Ask how 80201” you can help!
VIAGRA/CIALIS ONLY $99.00! 52 Pills Save Big! Now! Call us today! 1-888439-1431
TIDBITS®...it’s great for your brain! Find your brain food at McDonalds & other restaurants in the Tri-Cities!
HOW TO PLACE A CLASSIFIED IN TIDBITS® Please visit www.TNOL.com to place your classifieds. Follow the online directions. It’s that easy! If you have any questions, give us a call at (509) 544-2155.
• According to statisticians, about 200 people a year die while watching -- not playing -football.
• Of all the stamps that have been used by the U.S. Postal Service, more have featured George Washington than any other person; so far there have been 305 with the likeness of the nation’s first president.
• We don’t often associate museums with beverages, but it seems that they’re fairly popular throughout the world. For instance, museums dedicated to coffee and/or tea can be found in London, Moscow, Paris, Sao Paolo, Zurich and Kyoto, as well as in China, South Korea, Colombia and Angola. Germany has three of them. Coffee and tea must be quite popular in the Netherlands; museums dedicated to the beverages can be found there in five different cities.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY “Testing can show the presence of errors, but not their absence.” Edsger Wybe Dijkstra
UTAH - Stressed-out students at the University of Utah can now let loose without having to worry about judgmental looks from their peers, thanks to a small ‘cry closet’ that allows them to cry in private. With homework, tough exams and student debt as high as it is these days, college an get pretty stressful, and sometimes you just need to cry before getting back on the horse. But not everyone is comfortable sobbing in public, so the University of Utah decided to help students let loose their emotions by installing a small cry room in the campus library.
THE ANSWER BOX
MEET LOVABLE cats & dogs at PAWS Animal Shelter, 517 SE 3rd St., Pendleton OR, (541) 276-0181 Tues-Sun 124pm or visit our website at www.pendletonpaws.org.
HOCUS FOCUS ANSWER 1. Zipper is missing. 2. Hat is different. 3. Paper is missing. 4. Sign is missing. 5. Balloon is moved. 6. Box is missing.
“AVIATION CAREERS. Hands on training for career opportunities in aviation, manufacturing and more. Financial aid for qualified students. Job placement assistance. Call AIM 877206-1503. www.FixJets.com”
PETS & PET SUPPLIES
• If you ever make a trip to Alaska, you might want to keep in mind the fact that it is illegal there to wake a sleeping bear for the purpose of taking its picture.
(c) 2018 King Features Synd., Inc.
Just Batty... The more that is learned about the ecological benefits of bats, the more home gardeners are going out of their way to entice these amazing winged mammals into their neighborhoods. Bats are voracious insect eaters, devouring as many as 600 bugs per hour for 4 to 6 hours a night. They can eat from one-half to threequarters their weight per evening. Bats are also important plant pollinators, particularly in the southwestern U.S.
The Tidbits ® Paper is a Division of Tidbits Media, Inc. • Montgomery, AL 36106 • (800) 523-3096 • email@example.com • All Rights Reserved 2018
• Would you believe me if I told you that there were parachutists (better known now as skydivers) before there were airplanes? Yep, it’s true! In Paris in the year 1900, a man leaped from the Eiffel Tower and made a safe descent using a parachute. It wasn’t until December 17, 1903, that the Wright Brothers made the first controlled, sustained powered flight in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
POLAND - The tax office in Bydgoszcz, Poland, called in taxpayer Zbigniew Macewicz to discuss irregularities in his payment schedule. When they demanded immediate payment of 80,000 zlotys (US$23,560), Macewicz fell dead of a heart attack. Tax officials then realized they had made a mistake in calculating his payments, and the demand was an error. “I express my deep regret at the taxpayer’s death,” said deputy Finance Minister Stanislaw Stec.
Information in the Tidbits® Paper is gathered from sources considered to be reliable but the accuracy of all information cannot be guaranteed.
by Samantha Weaver
Oops, Sorry About That!
Tidbits of the Mid-Columbia • firstname.lastname@example.org • www.TidbitsOfTheMidColumbia.com • May 14, 2018 • Issue 1180 • Page 07
1600 Get up to
MAY 3 – JUNE 6, 2018
by mail with purchase of selec t KitchenAid brand appliances *
One model per appliance type. A rebate will not be issued without (a) valid serial number(s). See dealer for more details.
UP TO VIA A VISA® PREPAID CARD BY MAIL WHEN YOU PURCHASE SELECT MAYTAG BRAND APPLIANCES.
*See store associate for rebate form with complete details. Only valid at participating KitchenAid brand retailers. Rebate in the form of a KitchenAid brand Visa® prepaid card by mail. Additional terms and conditions apply. ®/™ ©2018 KitchenAid. All rights reserved. To learn more about the entire KitchenAid brand line, please visit kitchenaid.com. CCP-24182
TR3 26” Top-Load Washer • 4 preset cycles • Extra rinse options • Auto ﬁll system
DR3 27” Electric Dryer TR5 26” Top-Load • 3 preset cycles Washer • 2 auto dry cycles • Reversible door
• 6 preset cycles • Extra rinse options • Auto ﬁll system
DR5 27” Electric Dryer TR7 26” Top-Load • 4 preset cycles Washer • 3 auto dry cycles • End-of-cycle signal
PARTS & LABOR WARRANTY
• 8 preset cycles • 4 soil level options • End-of-cycle signal
• 7 preset cycles • 4 auto dry cycles • Moisture sensor
Speed Queen® Electric Stacked Washer/Dryer • 9 Washer Cycles • 7 Dryer Cycles • Stainless Steel Tub • Balance Technology • 4 Temperature Selections UP TO • Moisture Sensors PARTS & • Interior Light LABOR • End of Cycle WARRANTY Indicator
PARTS & LABOR WARRANTY
DR7 27” Electric Dryer
PARTS & LABOR WARRANTY
LC 121P Push Lawn Mower
7021P Push Lawn Mower
Briggs & Stratton EXI engine 3-in-1 mulch/side/rear discharge 4 height adjustments 21” cutting width $ 95
160cc Honda GCV engine 3-in-1 mulch/side/rear discharge 4 height adjustments 21” cutting width $ 95
LC 221FHE Front-Wheel Drive Mower
LE 221R Battery Lawn Mower
Briggs & Stratton 675 series engine 3-in-1 mulch/side/rear discharge Ball bearing wheels Push button start $ 95
Self-propelled Variable speed 20” cutting widthLE221R Steel construction $ 95
There’s so many ways to save these days!
525RX Bike Handle Brushcutter
Intuitive controls Auto return stop switch Long curved shaft Air purge $ 95
25.4 cc, 1.3 hp Auto return stop switch Versatile guard Tap ‘n Go head $ 95
Z248F Zero Turn Mower
Briggs & Stratton Endurance engine ClearCut™ fabricated cutting deck Automatic park brake Convenient deck lift $ 95
YTH20K46 Riding Lawn Mower
7000 Series Kohler engine Adjustable sliding seat Reinforced cutting deck $ 95
YTH24V48 Riding Lawn Mower
Briggs & Stratton engine Adjustable sliding seat 48” cutting width $ 95
WESTERN AUTO HOME & APPLIANCE 320 S.W. Emigrant • Pendleton, Oregon (541) 276-3534 • 800-580-3534
DRT 900H Tiller
160cc Honda GCV engine Reverse gear Power forward and reverse Counterweight for safety $ 95
YT42DXLS Lawn Mower
Kohler engine ClearCut™ fabricated cutting deck Electric blade engagement 42” cutting width $ 95
**See store for warranty details. **No interest for 12 months with minimum purchase of $500 or more on qualified products. Same as cash offer. With approved credit on select merchandise. Minimum monthly payments apply. Limited to product on hand. Complete monthly payment and credit card details in store. Product images may vary from actual product. Limited time offer. See store for complete product and payment details.
MONDAY THRU FRIDAY 9AM-6PM