February 12, 2018
Colorectal Cancer Pre-Screening Event
OF THE MID COLUMBIA
TRIVIA • NEWS • EVENTS • HUMOR Published weekly by Cabin Fever Media, LLC • (509) 544-2155 • email@example.com • ©2018 All Rights Reserved
Abogados de Inmigración
Ayudamos con todo tipo de caso de inmigración como: Ciudadanía
Ajustes de estatus
See our ad on page
Tidbits® Chokes Down Food Flops
Peticiones familiares Visas para victimas
by Janet Spencer
Y mucho mas
Tidbits remembers foods that make you say, “What were they thinking?”
¡Completamen te Confidencial!
valorada en $250
Help for all types of immigration cases: • Citizenship • Permits for Victims • Status Modifications • Pardons • Family Sponsorships • Much More!
FREE CONSULTATION a $250 value
10% DISCOUNT WITH COUPON BELOW. (if eligible for use)
¡INVIERTA SU REEMBOLSO DE IMPUESTOS EN ALGO IMPORTANTE!
Abogados de Inmigración y Accidentes de Auto
Immigration & Auto Accident Attorneys
Contamos con oficinas en:
IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE!
KENNEWICK 316 Neel St.
de descuento si presenta este cupón!
• The Heinz Company figured that if red ketchup was good, green ketchup would be even better. Called EZ Squirt, it was released in 2000, followed shortly after by purple ketchup and blue ketchup. They followed that with Mystery Color, which could be purple, orange, or teal. Special nozzles made it easy to draw colored pictures or write words when dispensing the product. Colored ketchup was popular at first, selling 25 million bottles the first year, but by 2006 it had outlived its novelty and was discontinued. CONTINUED ON PAGE 4
Si es elegible para un beneficio
8 East Washington Ave. #106
Enjoy the Comfort and Convenience of Pride® Power Lift Recliners. EASY TO USE
With just a push of a button you can stand or recline simply and smoothly.
With a full range of contemporary designs and a large selection of eye-catching fabrics, Pride Power Lift Recliners not only ﬁt any décor, they add to it.
Great Selection in Stock!
STARTING AT $
Outstanding construction and long-lasting durability and subjected to extensive factory testing to ensure outstanding reliability.
Pride Power Lift Recliners are backed by comprehensive warranties including a lifetime warranty on the steel lift frame.
A Hairy Situation
TOO MANY COLORS TO SHOW THEM ALL!
WE SERVICE WHAT WE SELL! MON-FRI
YOUR 9AM-6PM NEIGHBORHOOD MEDICAL SUPPLY STORE ALSO OFFERING OSTOMY SUPPLIES, WOUND CARE SUPPLIES, INCONTINENCE SUPPLIES , MOBILITY PRODUCTS, & MEDICAL CARE SUPPLIES
1019 WRIGHT AVENUE • RICHLAND WA (509) 943-3354 Locally Owned & Operated by People Who Care!
American Board for Certiﬁcation in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics
POLAND - A Polish man held up a hairdresser’s at gunpoint demanding a free hair cut for his girlfriend. And he brought her back to the salon the next day demanding they do a better job. The man, who has not been caught, stormed into the Tschenstochau Salon in the southern Polish town of Czestochowa and forced the owner at gunpoint to dye and cut his girlfriend’s hair for free. But the gunman was obviously unhappy with the result as he brought his girlfriend back the next day and again at gunpoint demanded the hairdresser redo the job, even insisting on hair extensions to fix the length.
Reach the Tri-Cities’
TOTAL MARKET covering Southeastern Washington and Northeastern Oregon.
Do you want customers that spend? TIDBITS READER INCOME*
21% under $20K
Our readers are families and professionals who live in the community where they spend their money.
Advertisers stay with Tidbits® BECAUSE IT WORKS!
Call Tidbits® for advertising rates and more information on how we can help your business succeed!
9% over $100K
*Results based on a study done by Washington State University
It’s Just Our Custom . . . PORTUGAL - On January 6 the Portuguese village of Vale de Salgueiro celebrated the traditional Epiphany festival, also known as the Feast of The Three Kings. While the holiday involves such benign traditions as eating cake and singing carols, there is one tradition that causes an outcry every year – parents allow and even encourage their children to smoke cigarettes. Locals defend the practice, claiming that is has been passed down for centuries as part of the Epiphany and winter solstice celebrations, but no one is sure exactly what it is meant to symbolize. In Portugal,
the legal age to purchase tobacco is 18, but there is nothing to stop parents from giving their children cigarettes, and the authorities have yet to intervene and put an end to the tradition. Eighty eight-yearold Eduardo Augusto, a grandfather told Radio Brigantia that he too smoked on Epiphany as a child. Augusto couldn’t say how old this unusual tradition was, but he remembered that his own grandfather had once talked very enthusiastically about it, so it must go back at least a few hundreds of years.
by Samantha Weaver • It was 19th-century French novelist and poet Victor Hugo who made the following sage observation: “Men hate those to whom they have to lie.”
• If you’re planning to visit the Hawaiian island of Kauai, you might want to trek up to Mount Waialeale. If you do, though, be sure to take an umbrella, as that mountain holds the distinction of receiving more rainfall than any other place on Earth, with an average of about 40 feet -yes, feet -- of rain annually. • According to the National Chicken Council’s Annual Chicken Wing Report -- yes, there is such a report, and it is strategically timed for release just before the Super Bowl -1.35 billion wings were consumed during Super Bowl weekend this year. That’s an all-time high; the number crunchers have determined that if all those wings were laid end-to-end, the resulting line of poultry would stretch 394 million feet. That would be long enough to circle the Earth three times -- or to cross a road 13 million times.
• When archaeologists discovered the tomb of King Tut, one of the objects they found inside was a bronze razor -- and it was still sharp enough to use. • Did you ever wonder how the lollipop got its name? A man named George Smith first put the hard treat on the end of a stick, but candy-making wasn’t his only interest. It seems that Smith also had a keen interest in horseracing, and he named the candy after a popular racehorse of the time, Lolly Pop.
• Those who study such things say that all mammals, from rodents to elephants, urinate for approximately 21 seconds. This is now known as the “Law of Urination.”
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY “The universe is like a safe to which there is a combination. But the combination is locked up in the safe.” Peter De Vries (c) 2018 King Features Synd., Inc.
is taking classified ads
Visit www.tnol.com. Find Kennewick in the cities list. Click the place ad button. Follow the online directions. It’s that easy! Tidbits is currently only taking classified ads placed online. Check out the website and if you have any questions, give us a call at (509) 544-2155.
READ TIDBITS ONLINE!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Published weekly by Cabin Fever Media, LLC (509) 544-2155 firstname.lastname@example.org ©2018 All Rights Reserved
The Roadside Sea Lion
CALIFORNIA - California state troopers patrolling a dusty Central Valley road, near Los Banos, spotted a living, healthy, 350-pound sea lion on the roadway’s shoulder. Wildlife officials think the creature had used canals and rivers to travel some 100 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean. “He was just sitting there on the shoulder of the road,” said Officer Mike Panelli. “If any officers got too close, he sort of growled at them.” Eventually, experts from the state Department of Fish and Game and the Marine Mammal Rescue Center at Moss Landing, Calif., arrived to pick up the sea lion and haul him back to the ocean. “He’s pretty big,” Kathy Zagzebski, a project manager with the center, said of the 350-pound male. “We had 10 volunteers and a truck. It was a lot of work.” Zagzebski said.
The Dash for Cash
CONNECTICUTT - Two men hit the Bank of America in Waterbury, announcing a robbery. But when things didn’t go quickly enough, the two ran off empty-handed. “We were both mad we didn’t get any money,” John Small, 46, told police after he and his brother, Delome, were arrested for the crime. And why were they in such a rush? Delome has an ankle bracelet and he can’t really leave the house.” Delome, 37, is under home confinement since he’s on probation. The brothers chose the Bank of America because it was the closest bank to Delome’s apartment, which he shares with his mother, and the ankle bracelet would notify his probation officer if he were too far away for too long. (Waterbury RepublicanAmerican)
Click On “READ TIDBITS ONLINE”
‘08 Chevrolet Cobalt LS
2.2L I-4 cyl., power windows/locks, fully automatic headlights, split folding rear seat, AT, 25/36 MPG
ONLY $ 3,888
‘08 Chevrolet Uplander LS
3.9L V-6 cyl., remote keyless entry, fully automatic headlights, emergency communication system, 3rd row seats, 16/23 MPG
ONLY $ 4,000
‘07 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T
‘12 Toyota Yaris
2.0L I-4 cyl., remote keyless entry, split folding rear seat, security system, power driver seat, heated mirrors, 23/31 MPG
GREAT FIRST TIME BUYER’S CAR! 4 cylinder, 30/35 MPG
ONLY $ 6,995
‘12 Jeep Compass Latitude
2.0L I-4 cyl, remote keyless entry, heated front seats, heated mirrors, roof rack, steering wheel mounted audio controls, 23/27 MPG
ONLY $ 7,888
‘10 Nissan Rogue AWD
2.5L I-4 cyl., remote keyless entry, security system, split folding rear seat. 22/27 MPG
ONLY $ 8,500
BAD CREDIT • NO CREDIT JUDGEMENTS • DIVORCE BANKRUPTCY • NEW JOB REPOSESSIONS NEW TO AREA
‘10 Ford F-150 Truck Super- ‘10 Ford F-150 SuperCrew Crew Cab 4x4 Harley-Davidson 4x4
‘14 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 4x4
ONLY $ 17,995
5.4L V-8 cyl., super clean, 5 passenger, tow pkg, remote keyless entry, 14/20 MPG
5.4L V-8, split folding rear seat, power windows/ locks, remote keyless entry, 14/20 MPG
ONLY $ 20,999
5.0L V-8 cyl, 60K miles, priced 3K under retail book, remote keyless entry, security system. 14/19 MPG
If We Can’t Find A Bank For You~ We Can Finance You Ourselves! 4123 W. Clearwater Ave. Kennewick, WA Call (509) 987-1033
*On approved credit. All prices plus tax, license and $150 negotiable documentary service fee. Stock & VINs at dealer. One vehicle unless otherwise noted. Subject to prior sale. Prices good through 02-18-18.
Tidbits of the Mid-Columbia • email@example.com • www.TidbitsOfTheMidColumbia.com • February 12, 2018 • Issue 1167 • Page 01
CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT CLASS THURSDAY SATURDAY ND TH FEB 22 FEB 24 1PM OR 6PM 1PM ONLY! PENDLETON RED LION
304 S.E. Nye Avenue
301 W. Columbia Street
Shaun Curtain 360-921-2071
$ 80 or email: FirearmTrainingNW@gmail.com | www.FirearmTrainingNW.com Multi-State Oregon Included No Fee
Oregon Only $45
Tidbits of the Mid-Columbia • firstname.lastname@example.org • For Advertising Call (509) 544-2155 • February 12, 2018 • Issue 1167 • Page 02
PERM & COLOR SPECIALIST & Facial Waxing Expert is now at
4 South Main St. • Pendleton, OR
Salon: 541-276-2262 Cell: 541-379-1961
Speaking Frankly . . . “The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.” Alfred Hitchcock “More than the usual number of flakes shut the government down in Washington today.” WNYW Channel 5 News during the Blizzard of 1996
All the Rage in Romania...
ROMANIA - A Romanian soccer club has advertised for an entire team of new players after the current team demanded a $10 a month pay rise. Managers at second division Dacia Mioveni, which came third in the league last season, decided it would be cheaper to place ads for new players rather than meet the “outrageous” pay demand. The club is owned and run by the town council in Mioveni, a small town in Southern Romania. Town Mayor Vasile Costescu said, “If they won’t accept the salary we offer then they can get on with their lives while we look for replacements. It’s as simple as that.” ROMANIA - A Romanian man faces charges after he tried to blow up his kitchen because his wife was such a lousy cook. Viorel Leahu, 41, from Todiresti, said he decided to punish his wife for her terrible food. He told police he had been inspired by watching Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger movies, reports said. He opened the gas tap and threw a lighter on the stove. The explosion damaged the room and left him with an injured hand. Mr. Leahu now faces up to three years in jail for destruction of property and putting his wife’s life in danger.
What are you waiting for? We made it easy. Colorectal Cancer Pre-Screening Event
This event offered FREE to ALL community members.
Register today: BeHealthyGetScreened.com Or give us a call at (509) 737-3420
This FREE event is not a physical examination or colonoscopy.*
When: Saturday, March 24th
By Appointment only. Space limited! Register online at BeHealthyGetScreened.com
Where: Tri-Cities Cancer Center, 7350 W. Deschutes, Kennewick Who: Men and women age 50-75. (75+ should consult their doctor).
Available to individuals who have not had a colonoscopy in the last ten years.
What to Expect: This FREE event is not a physical examination or colonoscopy. *It is an expedited pathway to getting your colonoscopy done. A health assessment will be conducted at the event to determine the appropriateness for colonoscopy. Appropriate participants will be scheduled for their colonoscopy before leaving the event.
THE FOCUS CAP???
Proudly Offered By the Tri-Cities Cancer Center in Partnership with:
A German designer thinks his new addition to the basic baseball cap with help you stay focused. What do you think?
SAFEGUARD SERIES: PROTECTING KIDS FROM PORNOGRAPHY WHAT: Free Community Presentation and Resources WHERE: Kennewick High School Auditorium, 500 S. Dayton St., Kennewick WHEN: Thursday, February 15th, 7:00 – 8:30 PM Kennewick, WA The community is invited to attend the Safeguard Series: Protecting Kids from Pornography event held on Thursday February 15th, 2018 from 7:00 to 8:30 pm at the Kennewick High School Auditorium. This free, community-focused event will provide eye-opening information, practical solutions and effective resources for families, parents, grandparents, caregivers, educators and concerned community members. All community members are welcome to attend. Visit www.facebook.com/SafeguardAlliance to keep updated.
“Easy deal. Peace of mind. I had my colonoscopy. I encourage you to have yours. Be healthy. Get screened. Bottoms Up!” – Babe Nyberg
Why should you get your colonoscopy?
Colorectal cancer, the 2nd leading cause of cancer death, is very preventable by having a colonoscopy. The Tri-Cities and surrounding area has a high incidence of late-stage colorectal cancer.
Precancerous polyps, if discovered, can easily be removed during the colonoscopy which prevents cancer from forming.
DID YOU KNOW?
• As you enter the U.S. Supreme Court courtroom, the two huge oak doors have the Ten Commandments engraved on the lower portion of each of them. • John Tyler had more children that any other American president. He had eight sons and seven daughters and was married twice. • On a clear day, you can see five states from atop the Empire State Building in New York City: New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania.
Tidbits of the Mid-Columbia • email@example.com • www.TidbitsOfTheMidColumbia.com • February 12, 2018 • Issue 1167 • Page 03
SEW UP A BARGAIN!
We Appraise Coins & Stamps WE BUY, PAWN & SELL US Coins • Bullion • Platinum • Stamps Diamonds • Scrap Gold/Silver
BERNINA® B 215
EASY HANDLING FOR A WIDE RANGE OF SEWING OPTIONS
(509) 946-4951 UPTOWN RICHLAND 1340B JADWIN AVENUE
Tues-Thurs 9-6 • Fri 9-5 • Sat 9-4 • Closed Sun/Mon
How One “Skilled” Surgeon Killed His Patient … Plus Two Bystanders Despite being known as the fastest surgeon of his time, Dr. Robert Liston is famous for performing the only operation with a 300 percent mortality rate. In the days before anesthesia, surgeons had to get creative with their surgeries in an attempt to save lives while minimizing a patient’s pain. One of the most effective ways was to perform the surgery as quickly as possible, sometimes in under five minutes. There was an upside to this method, of course, as the less time a surgery took, the less likely the patient was to bleed out and the less likely they were to feel pain. However, there was also a downside, as accuracy would usually be sacrificed in favor of speed. One of the surgeons most famous for his speed was Dr. Robert Liston. Robert Liston was born in 1794, in Ecclesmachan, Scotland. He studied medicine at the University of Edinburgh and quickly became interested in anatomy. He decided to narrow his focus on surgery, and soon gained a reputation as a skilled surgeon. Known as “the fastest knife on West End,” Liston was particularly skilled at quick amputations. Where most surgeons at that time lost one in four patients, due to his speed and skill, Liston only lost about one in ten. British surgeon and author Richard Gordon, a noted Liston expert, claims that Liston could perform a leg amputation in two and a half minutes, at one point even getting it down to 28 seconds. He was so sure of his speed he became known for his catchphrase, uttered before every surgery. “Time me, gentlemen,” he would say, holding up his knife. “Time me.” And everyone in his ever-growing gallery of onlookers would time him. Due to his reputation, he quickly became famous for his work. However, one of his surgeries, in particular, stands out above the rest. Robert Liston was performing a leg amputation on a patient who was lying flat on his table. As he brought down his knife, he was so focused on his speed that he took his surgical
6303 Burden Blvd., #C • Pasco, WA (509) 544-7888 www.JaneansBernina.com
Dr. Liston performs an amputation in “The Gallery” as his colleagues study his technique.
assistant’s fingers off along with the patient’s leg. As he swung the knife back up, it clipped a spectator’s coattails, and he collapsed, dead. The patient and Liston’s assistant both died after their wounds became infected, and the spectator who collapsed was later discovered to have died of fright. The three death’s made Liston’s surgery the only one on record with a 300 percent mortality rate. Though the three deaths were by far the most notable of his career, they weren’t the only time Liston gained infamy for a less than successful surgery. While amputating another patient’s leg, he broke his personal record by finishing the surgery in two and a half minutes. However, in the interest of speed, he got a little too excited and chopped off the patient’s testicles along with his leg. He also once mistook a lump in a young boy’s neck for a skin tag, and removed it suddenly at the boy’s home. The lump turned out to be an aneurysm of his carotid artery, and the boy died. Years later, when anesthesia was invented, Liston became the first surgeon to operate using it, and his surgery was a success. Despite his downfalls, Robert Liston remained a distinguished surgeon. After his death, his peers erected a marble statue in his honor and created an award for students of distinction in his name.
We Are Car Accident Injury Specialists
The Naked Chase
UNITED KINGDOM - A builder jumped into his car and gave chase when thieves stole his horse-trailer… even though he was stark naked. Mick Ridley, of Forthampton, near Tewkesbury, Gloucs, was in the bath when son James, 16, raised the alarm. Without even grabbing a towel, Mick, 49, raced downstairs and jumped into his Range Rover to give chase, reports the Sun. “I was totally naked but I didn’t care,” he said. “I just wanted that trailer back. I was covered in soap and water but I didn’t have time to think.”
Mick sped two miles after the thief, who was using a truck to tow the $45,000 trailer, before he managed to get in front and block the road. He said, “I ran over to the cab and he looked at me with real shock - I don’t think he was expecting a naked man.” The thief escaped while Mick waited for police but was later caught. The dad-of-two said, “Luckily I found one of my wife’s cardigans to put round me. “I gave a short statement to one of the police who arrived - but he said he thought it would be better to wait until I was home and had some clothes on.”
We will work hard to provide the support you need by: • Finding the right doctors and specialists to provide quality medical treatment • Getting your medical bills paid or reduced • Getting your car fixed or replaced • Evaluating the financial value of your claim • Negotiating with the insurance company • Pursuing a lawsuit, if warranted
A Car Accident Can Be A Life-Changing Event, But It Does Not Have To Be!
Call For A FREE CONSULTATION:
We Work! While You Recover! 316 Neel Street Kennewick, WA Injury & Immigration Attorneys
Hablamos Español www.rrinjurylaw.com
Tidbits of the Mid-Columbia • firstname.lastname@example.org • For Advertising Call (509) 544-2155 • February 12, 2018 • Issue 1167 • Page 04
OPEN TUESDAY THRU SATURDAY MOTORCYCLE CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES Operated by Columbia Center Rotary
6222 W. JOHN DAY AVE. Monday & Thursday (10:30 & 12:30) and KENNEWICK, WA Friday, Saturday & Sunday (10:30, 12:30, 6:30 & 9:30) CAUTION: Participation in gambling activity may result in pathological gambling behavior causing emotional and financial harm. For help, call 1-800-547-6133.
(509) 783-2416 • 800-890-6485 www.bingoblvd.com
Choking Down More Food Flops Leather Jackets, Chaps & Vests Wiley X Glasses • Gator-Skinz Helmets • Accessories • Bags
Follow us on Facebook at Renegade Classics of Tri-Cities
• In 2002, Ore-Ida, which is owned by Heinz, thought that a way of improving upon their potato empire was to release a line of new products called “Funky Fries.” Instead of boring French fries, you could have Kool Blue French fries, or Cocoa Crispers (chocolate-flavored fries) or Cinna-Stiks (cinnamon-covered fries). Turned out blue fries look moldy, chocolate fries turned everyone off, and cinnamon fries were so cloyingly sweet that they were more like a dessert. By 2003, this line of new potato products had been withdrawn from the shelves. Yet, for a short time in history, it was possible to put green ketchup on blue fries.
paper towel to absorb grease. Just pop the entire packet into your toaster and wait for hot crispy bacon to pop up. Unfortunately, the bacon grease congealed inside the foil packet had a disconcerting way of melting under the heat of the toaster and dripping into the hot toaster coils, starting grease fires. The product died before ever being released to the public.
• Gerber’s baby food company made a serious miscalculation when they marketed a line of food for grown-ups in 1974. Called “Singles,” 4018 W Clearwater Ave, Suite C the product consisted of delicious and inviting Kennewick, WA meals for one: Creamed Beef, (509) 627-3616 • The company that manufactured Reddi-Wip, Beef Burgundy, RenegadeKennewick.com which freed people from Chicken having to whip their own Madeira, Beef cream, experimented with Mushroom with a new product Gravy, • BIG RIGS designed to free them Mediterranean • MOTORHOMES from the onerous chore Vegetables, • BUSES of frying bacon. Called Blueberry Delight and more. All were packaged Reddi-Bacon, it in over-size baby food jars. It turned out that no YOUR AUTHORIZED DEALER consisted of four one wanted to be caught eating Gerber’s baby pre-cooked slices food for adults. of bacon SALES • SERVICE • PARTS NEXT TO KING CITY • In an effort to compete with coffee, the enclosed in Pepsi company released a new product a foil packet in 1989. Called “Pepsi AM,” it contained along with “all the sugar and twice the caffeine” as 2708 N. COMMERCIAL AVENUE • PASCO, WA • (509) 547-7770 a regular Pepsi. With 28% more caffeine than a cup of coffee, it was designed to give extra morning pep. They found in short order that people just don’t want to drink Pepsi with their bagels or eggs or donuts; that people tend to prefer hot drinks with their breakfast; and because the product was named “Pepsi AM” people didn’t think about drinking it at other times of the day.
COMPUTER LASER ALIGNMENT
JIM’S PACIFIC GARAGES, INC.
FOR SALE! BRAND NEW 2018 HOMES ARRIVING NOW! Beautiful Family Community!
HOMES STARTING AT $ WALK-INS
Price not for all homes shown
Financing Available Affordable Down Payments Purchase With Your ITIN #
Pre-Owned Homes Available
TAX MATCH! Receive up to $1,000 towards the down payment on one of our homes!
Do you know someone looking to purchase? Send them to us and if they purchase, you receive $500 at the close of escrow!
509.308.6754 • 509.528.6232
SANTIAGO COUNTRY VIEW ESTATES
200802 E. Game Farm Rd. • Kennewick, WA Homes sold by Santiago Sales | Santiagosales.com | 888.563.3003
• Heublein was a company that manufactured alcoholic beverages, later branching out into food products as well. But they had a spectacular failure in the mid-1970s when they came out with Heublein’s Wine & Dine. It looked like an upscale Hamburger Helper, and it included a tiny bottle of wine. On the surface it looked simple and straightforward, which is why people didn’t bother to read the
complete directio the sauce mix, s popped open the drink with their d supposed to be a stirred into the m Various seasonin the wine, which t terrible when dru a speedy death.
• McDonald’s int the McHotdog w fizzled in th U.S. but ca on in Japa The McDo McPizza a as did McS To entice C who were from eating on Fridays at the McDonald’s once the Hula burger, consisted of pine and melted chee a bun. Catholics go for it. The Mc consisted of bee cheese, and tom wrapped in pita b and covered with supposedly base an authentic Afri recipe. It was rel in 2002, at a time many countries i were dealing with devastating fami public relations n resulted.
• In 19 Origina Drink C based of flavo carbon bevera for dog The dr the FD in case for sirlo which dogs o
Tidbits of the Mid-Columbia • email@example.com • www.TidbitsOfTheMidColumbia.com • February 12, 2018 • Issue 1167 • Page 05
Now You Can Own An Affordable Franchise! Available in ALL of Tri-Cities, Prosser & Benton City With Very Low Down Janitorial Franchise (Ofﬁce Cleaning)
We Provide Training, Equipment, Supplies and Customers!
ons. They boiled the pasta, added stirred in the ground beef, then e tiny bottle of wine to enjoy a dinner. However, the wine was added to the pasta sauce and meal, not sipped from a wine glass. ngs and salt were dissolved in tasted great in the sauce but unk straight-up. The product died
roduced which he aught an. onald’s also failed, Spaghetti. Catholics barred g meat e time, e offered which eapple ese on s didn’t cAfrica ef, matoes bread h a sauce ed upon ican leased e when in Africa ha ine. A nightmare
(509) 922-1499 mixing the two didn’t work. • In the 1970s, American Kitchen Foods thought that if they shaped peas to look like French fries, kids would love ’em. They called the product “I Hate Peas” but it turns out kids hate peas no matter what shape they are in. They also hated “I Hate Corn,” “I Hate Broccoli,” “I Hate Spinach,” and “I Hate Carrots.”
Free Consultations! CONSULTAS GRATIS AL 509-205-7915 Most insurances accepted.
5219 W. Clearwater, Suite 3 • Kennewick, WA
Marineland Medical & Professional Building
Text by Tidbits Media, Inc.
994, the al Pet Company in Florida introduced bottles ored water for pets. The nated, vitamin-enriched age came in Crispy Beef gs and Tangy Fish for cats. rink was even approved by DA for human consumption, e anyone had a hankering oin- or fish-flavored water, they didn’t. Neither did the or cats.
Did You Know? Elephants are covered with hair. Although it is not apparent from a distance, at close range, one can discern a thin coat of light hairs covering practically every part of an elephant’s body.
• In 1997, the Clearly Canadian Beverage Corporation introduced a new beverage that was part drink and part lava lamp. The fruit-flavored drink was spiked with little edible gelatin balls suspended in the liquid. Called Orbitz, and dubbed “a texturally enhanced alternative water,” it tasted like cough syrup and looked odd. People didn’t want textured drinks: you’re either drinking or eating and
There are approximately 275 Indian land areas in the United States administered as Indian reservations.
If You Have Socks & Underwear,
WE HAVE YOUR FORMALWEAR!
Compare our prices and save!
ALL ITEMS IN STOCK TODAY! No last minute disappointments!
1350B Jadwin • Richland, WA • (509) 943-0652
Uptown Shopping Center • www.drtuxshop.com • Locally Owned & Operated
AMERICANS’ HOCKEY SEASON PRESENTED BY
HOCKEY...THE AMERICANS WAY! WEDNESDAY, STRETCH FEBRUARY 21 PACK GAME TIME 7:05PM
68 Includes 4 Regular ONLY $
Season Ticket Voucher & 1 Play-Off Ticket Voucher...GET YOURS TODAY! Call the Americans office at 509.736.0606 for details on group tickets, season tickets or special event packages today!
ALL GAMES PLAYED AT THE TOYOTA CENTER, 7000 W GRANDRIDGE BLVD, KENNEWICK, WA
Tidbits of the Mid-Columbia • firstname.lastname@example.org • For Advertising Call (509) 544-2155 • February 12, 2018 • Issue 1167 • Page 06
1600 Get up to
by mail with purchase of selec t KitchenAid brand appliances *
*See store associate for rebate form with complete details. Only valid at participating KitchenAid brand retailers. Rebate in the form of a KitchenAid brand Visa® prepaid card by mail. Additional terms and conditions apply. ®/™ ©2018 KitchenAid. All rights reserved. To learn more about the entire KitchenAid brand line, please visit kitchenaid.com. CCP-24182
Januar y 3 – July 18, 2018
GET A FREE
PRICED UP TO $300 VIA A VISA® PREPAID CARD BY MAIL WHEN YOU PURCHASE A SELECT WHRILPOOL BRAND LAUNDRY PAIR PLUS TWO PEDESTALS EXCLUDING TAXES, DELIVERY AND/OR INSTALLATION
WHIRLPOOL BRAND FEBRUARY REBATE FEBRUARY 14-28, 2018 *See store associate for rebate form with complete details. Only valid at participating Whirlpool brand retailers. Rebate in the form of a Whirlpool brand Visa® prepaid card by mail. Additional terms and conditions apply. ®/™ ©2018 Whirlpool. All rights reserved. To learn more about the entire Whirlpool brand line, please visit whirlpool.com. #691-2311
GET UP TO $
on installation via a Visa® prepaid card by mail when you purchase select KitchenAid brand dishwasher
*Offer valid at participating dealers only. Limited supply GREEN MOUNTAIN GRILLS WOOD FIRED PELLET GRILLS
SAVE UP TO
GMG now offers WiFi Point to Point Control for all models. Program your favorite customized sets GMG of cooking instructions and Grilling save them forever. Pellets 28 LB. BAG Our FREE APP will revolutionize the way $ 95 you grill and give you complete control at your ﬁngertips!
Davy Crockett Tailgater w/WiFi • 17” x 13” grill • Sense-Mate thermal sensor • Digital wifi controller • Automatic ignition • Stainless steel lid REG. $399
• 27” x 16” grill • Meat probe • Convenience tray • Digital control • Sense-Mate thermal sensor REG. $599
Daniel Boone w/WiFi REG. $759 SALE $
Jim Bowie w/WiFi
724 SAVE $75!
• 40” x 16” grill • Digital control • Hard rubber tires • Meat probe • Sense-Mate thermal sensor REG. $799
• 40” x 16” grill • Convenience tray • Meat probe • Digital wifi controller • Sense-Mate thermal sensor REG. $999
KitchenAid Brand February Rebate February 14-28, 2018
WHERE YOUR BEST BEGINS
*See store associate for rebate form with complete details. Only valid at participating KitchenAid brand retailers. Rebate in the form of a KitchenAid brand Visa® prepaid card by mail. Additional terms and conditions apply. ®/™ ©2018 KitchenAid. All rights reserved. To learn more about the entire KitchenAid brand line, please visit KitchenAid.com.
Hard-Working. Tough. Durable. Made In America. SPEED QUEEN® WASHER
SPEED QUEEN® ELECTRIC STACKED WASHER/DRYER
• Full Tub Wash & Rinse • Commercial-Grade Steel Cabinet • No Lid Lock • Durable Stainless Steel Tub
• 9 Washer Cycles • 7 Dryer Cycles • Stainless Steel Tub • Balance Technology • 4 Temperature Selections • Moisture Sensors • Interior Light • End of Cycle Indicator
SPEED QUEEN® ELECTRIC DRYER
• 7.0 cu. ft. Capacity • 3 Drying Cycles • 1/3 HP Motor • Secured Lint Filter
PARTS & LABOR WARRANTY & 15 YEAR TRANSMISSION WARRANTY ON ALL SPEED QUEEN WASHERS!
7.0 CU. FT.
3.42 CU. FT.
*Pedestals sold separately
WESTERN AUTO HOME & APPLIANCE 320 S.W. Emigrant • Pendleton, Oregon (541) 276-3534 • 800-580-3534
**See store for warranty details. **No interest for 12 months with minimum purchase of $500 or more on qualified products. Same as cash offer. With approved credit on select merchandise. Minimum monthly payments apply. Limited to product on hand. Complete monthly payment and credit card details in store. Product images may vary from actual product. Limited time offer. See store for complete product and payment details.
MONDAY THRU FRIDAY 9AM-6PM
Tidbits of the Mid-Columbia • email@example.com • www.TidbitsOfTheMidColumbia.com • February 12, 2018 • Issue 1167 • Page 07
CLASSIFIEDS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES “AVIATION CAREERS. Hands on training for career opportunities in aviation, manufacturing and more. Financial aid for qualified students. Job placement assistance. Call AIM 877206-1503. www.FixJets.com” “DRONE CAREERS. Prepare for FAA Unmanned Aircraft System operator certificate for commercial use. Weekend courses available in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, Kansas City, Oakland, Philadelphia, Virginia Beach and DC. Call AIM 877-2020386. www.AIMUAS.com”
HEALTH & MEDICAL SUPPLIES “48 PILLS + 4 FREE! VIAGRA 100MG/ CIALIS 20mg Free Pills! No hassle, Discreet Shipping. Save Now. Call Today 1-877-560-0842”
MISCELLAENOUS ITEMS FOR EVERYONE
PETS & PET SUPPLIES WANT TO FIND A LOVING PET? Dogs & puppies, cats & kittens, you’ll find them at Tri-Cities Animal Control, 1312 S. 18th St. in Pasco. (509) 545-3740. Make room in your heart for a shelter pet! VOLUNTEER DOG WALKERS NEEDED! Contact TCAS for more info!
MEET LOVABLE cats & dogs at PAWS Animal Shelter, 517 SE 3rd St., Pendleton OR, (541) 276-0181 Tues-Sun 12-4pm or visit our website at www.pendletonpaws.org.
HELP SAVE A LIFE! The Pit Bull Pen is the area’s only Pit Bull & Bully Breed Rescue. We are a foster based 501c3 nonprofit organization. Help put an end to abused, VIAGRA 52 PILLS! ONLY abandoned & neglected pits. $99.00! Save! Save! Save Visit our page on Facebook! $500 Now! Call us today! 1-888-439-1431 “WANTS TO PURCHASE minerals and other oil & gas interests. Send details P.O. Box 13557, Denver, Co 80201”
Information in the Tidbits ® Paper is gathered from sources considered to be reliable but the accuracy of all information cannot be guaranteed.
The Tidbits® Paper is a Division of Tidbits Media, Inc. Montgomery, AL 36106 (800) 523-3096 firstname.lastname@example.org All Rights Reserved 2017
SHEDS & BUILDINGS
“STEEL BUILDINGS Discontinued material, some seconds available. Limited color choices save 30% off. www. sunwardsteel.com 800-9648335.”
VISIT OUR DISPLAY ROOMS!
323 W. CLARK•PASCO, WA•
• On Feb. 21, 1828, the first printing press designed to use the newly invented Cherokee alphabet arrives at New Echota, Georgia. Within months, the first Indian language newspaper in history, The Cherokee Phoenix, was published.
• On Feb. 25, 1890, Vlacheslav Mikhaylovich Skryabin, who took the revolutionary name Molotov, is born in Russia. He invented the famous “Molotov cocktail,” a flammable liquid-filled glass bottle stuffed with a lighted rag and thrown at the enemy. • On Feb. 24, 1917, British authorities give the U.S. a copy of an official coded message from Germany that Mexico should be asked to enter a war against the U.S. as a German ally. In return, Germany promised to restore to Mexico the lost territories of Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.
HOW TO PLACE A CLASSIFIED IN TIDBITS®
Laws of the Land . . .
• It was the law in Scotland in 1288 that for each year known as “lepe yeare” any maiden lady could ask the man she liked to be her husband. If he refused and didn’t have a good excuse he would be “mulcted of ye sum of one pound or less” (essentially, he would owe her a dollar). France enacted a similar law a year later. • In Turkey during the 16th and 17th centuries, anyone caught drinking coffee was put to death. • Thinking that it spread disease, King Henry VI banned kissing in England in 1439. • Up until the early 20th century, New Jersey and Wisconsin had laws allowing the castration of epileptics.
• Quality Workmanship • Professional Service • Reasonable Prices • Speedy Turnaround
4’ x 8’
Please visit www.TNOL.com to place your classifieds. Follow the online directions. It’s that easy! If you have any questions, give us a call at (509) 544-2155.
THE ANSWER BOX
& BRAKE CENTER
REGULAR OR MAGNETIC
4’ x 6’
*List prices. Limited to stock on hand. May have slight imperfections.
VISIT OUR NEW POPP ADOPTION CENTER Saturdays, 11am-4pm to meet adoptable puppies & dogs at our new address, 5811 W Van Giesen Street in West Richland, 509-943-4722. Adoptable kittens & cats at PetSmart in Kennewick on Saturdays & Sundays. Foster families needed! Ask how you can help!
AMERICAN EAGLE MUFFLER
The Office Furniture You Want At A Price You Can Afford!
1503 N. 4th • Pasco
Pictured: The 1980 USA mens’s Olympic hockey team. The event inspired the movie “Miracle On Ice”, amade-for-TV movie, starring Karl Malden as Brooks and Steve Guttenberg as Craig, aired on ABC television in March 1981. It incorporated actual game footage and original commentary from the 1980 Winter Games.
• On Feb. 19, 1942, right after Pearl Harbor, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs Executive Order 9066, authorizing the removal of any or all people “as deemed necessary or desirable.” By June, more than 110,000 Japanese Americans on the West Coast were relocated to remote internment camps. • On Feb. 23, 1954, a group of children in Pennsylvania receive the first injections of the new polio vaccine developed by Dr.
Jonas Salk. Although highly successful, a single faulty batch of the vaccine caused a sudden outbreak of 200 cases.
• On Feb. 22, 1980, the underdog U.S. hockey team, made up of college students, defeats the four-time defending gold-medal winning Soviet team at the Olympic Winter Games in New York. The Soviet squad fell to the American team 4-3 before a frenzied crowd of 10,000 spectators. (c) 2018 King Features Synd., Inc.
EQUIPMENT FEED & PET
Your Authorized Mahindra Dealer PLUS Quality Pet Food & Supplies
Introducing TREATIBLES Hemp Wellness Chews Contains Phytocannabinoid Rich Oil
Phyto means ‘from a plant.’ Our oil is derived from the hemp plant. Hemp based phytocannabinoid rich oil (PCR) offers a wide range of therapeutic applications but without the psychoactive properties of THC found in medical cannabis.
TRY TH EM OU T WITH A SAMPLE BAG!
AVAILABLE IN TWO SIZES
LEASHES, COLLARS & HARNESSES • SHAMPOOS & CONDITIONERS TOYS & TRAINING TOOLS • PET FOODS & TREATS • FLEA PROTECTION & MORE!
Illuminated end-to-end with fiber optics Two modes: steady and blinking One size fits all dogs Water resistant 5 feet long One-year warranty
NOW IN STOCK!
YUMM STICKS BUY ONE GET ONE
FREE Free item must be of equal or lesser value.
2155 Stevens Dr. • Richland, WA (509) 374-3398 MONDAY-FRIDAY 9AM-6PM • SATURDAY 9AM-4PM
HOCUS FOCUS ANSWER 1. Car is different. 2. Leg is moved. 3. Hair is different. 4. Pocketbook is missing. 5. Sign is different. 6. Basement window is missing.