Page 71

A walking tour in Christiansfeld The Moravian Hotel (est. 17731793) Today a busy hotel - Was originally built as a guesthouse for guest craftsmen and guest of the Moravian church. The first guesthouse from 1773 was only one storey high with a trade house in the basement. In the hotel there are currently 11 of the old Christiansfeld clinker-ovens - all restored and fully functional. The street of Kongensgade is the only change to the original town layout. Changed in 1853 and then again in 1938, where 2, 5 meters was taken off the hotel building to accommodate the increasing traffic. On the oblique gable of the hotel you can see a marble slate describing important events that had taken place here, like royal visits and historic meetings regarding the reunification. In the large open Prætorius Square there used to be stables for travellers and a well. The Moravian Honey Cake Bakery, Lindegade no. 36 (est. 1783) Honey cakes have been baked in Christiansfeld right from the start in the 1780’s, but the baker who really turned the honey cakes into a success was Immanuel Martin Achtnich. He came here in 1785 as a wig maker from the Moravian town of Neudietendorf in Germany. Wigs had however gone out of style at this point, and he needed a change of profession. He had knowledge of baking from his uncle who was a baker and when he married Ms. Brodersen of Humstrup (South of Tønder) - who was no stranger to baking honey cakes herself - they built the success of the honey cakes through their combined expertise and experience. Back in the days, before young couples could choose their own partners, the honey cake hearts were used to declare an engagement. The couple would each eat one half of the cake in the presence of the minister as an official blessing of the engagement. Today honey cakes are produced and sold all over the town. 11. The Danish Toy Museum Lindegade no. 44 (est. 1781) The Danish Toy Museum opened in 2015 and holds a number of fun and interesting toys. From homemade toys made in the 1800’s to mass-produced toys from the 1900’s like Tekno, Lego and Barbie. The museum is located in a house owned by the Moravian church and the location in Lindegade makes it perfect for a museum. All guests will undoubtedly find toys that they, their parents or grandparent used to play with growing up. There is a corner of the museum where children can

play with some of the toys in the exhibition! 12. The Christinsfelder clinker-oven factory, Lindegade no. 44 (est. 1781) Shortly after the Moravian church had founded Christiansfeld there was a shortage of wood due to the fireplaces and stoves they were using to heat their homes. The Moravian council therefore send for at skilled and experienced potter and chimney builder from the Moravian town of Neuwied to start up the production of the iconic Christinsfelder clinkeroven. The manager of »Ofenfabrik des Brüderhauses« in Neuwied, Abraham Goll, accepted the offer. He started 1777, first in the brethren’s house and later on in the Christinsfelder clinker-oven factory that was built for this purpose. The house is located in Lindegade 44 and is a typical house for a craftsman with private accommodation in one end and the workshop in the other end of the house. Today the shop is run by the 9th generation, Hans Dines Schmidt and his wife Dominika Schmidt. Besides restoring old ovens, they also design and produce new ones. In the window you can see two beautiful examples of newly produced Christinsfelder clinkerovens. The tiles are produced in Böhmen (Czech Republic) where Hans Dines Schmidt also did his apprenticeship. The Christinsfelder clinker-oven is found on several large estates and castles as well as in private homes. 13. The Museum, Kirkegårds Allé no. 4 (est. 1907) A committee decided to have this house built as a fire station and museum. The crest on the left belongs to count Zinzendorf (17001760,) who was responsible for establishing the Moravian church in Hernhut. The crest on the right is the town crest of Christiansfeld and the one in the middle is just for decoration. The style of the building differs from the rest of the town, probably because it was built during the Prussian domination. Today it is a private home. 14. Gudsageren (»God’s acre«), The Moravian cemetery (est. 1773 - inaugurated April 2nd 1774) The entire area you see, when you pass through the gates are marked as ground for the cemetery. The Moravian church does not cancel or remove graves, so they have made room to expand. The inscription on the gates is from Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians (Chap. 15, V. 42) »So also is the resurrection of the

dead. It is sown corruptible; it is raised incorruptible«, to remind them of the eternal afterlife. The cemetery is in the shape of a cross and has been expanded twice. Sisters are buried to the east and brothers to the west. All the tombstones are the same, as a symbol reminding us that all men are equal. They are slated towards east - From where their saviour will come on the final day. Approximately 2050 members of the Moravian church are buried in this cemetery and all the tombstones have numbers. Amongst the buried are little Johannes (tomb no. 1 on row 8 in the brethren’s side), who died on the journey here from Holland, when his father came to Christiansfeld to work as a doctor. There are also many brothers buried here, who died while serving during World War I. 15. The Reunification Square West of the cemetery you will find the reunification square in memory of the reunion of Southern Jutland with Denmark on June 15th 1920. The monument was created by N. Skovgaard Andersen - a relief of »Mother Denmark« embracing her long lost daughter Southern Jutland. The monument is engraved and was placed here in 1933. Three large oak trees are planted in the square; one to commemorate King Christian the 10th 70th birthday, one to commemorate King Frederik the 9th 70th birthday and one to commemorate Queen Margrethe the 2nd 60th birthday. 16. Comenius garden (est. 2015) The garden is named after the Moravian bishop Johann Amos Comenius and is a replica of the one of the old traditional gardens in Christiansfeld. The garden is in

bloom all year round to delight its visitors. The herb garden is used by the students of Christiansfeld School for educational purposes. You can find more information on the board or see the article about the garden further on in this paper. 17. The Christina Friederica Formation, Gammel Kongevej no. 11 (est. 1830) The Lady chamberlain Christina Friederica von Holstein, who owned the estate of Favrvrågård west of Christiansfeld, bequeathed the funds for establishing this formation when she died in 1812. It was to serve as a retirement home for the less fortunate people in the parish. 18. Tyrstrup Church The church was inaugurated December 3rd 1863 and thereby replaced an old medieval church. Granit from the old church has been used in building the plinth and the entrance towards Haderslevvej. The church is designed by L.A. Winstrup and is also known as the reunification church, as King Christian the 10th and Queen Alexandrine attended church service here on July 10th of 1920 - shortly after the reunification. A relief of the King kneeling can be found in the porch. Monuments in memory of the fallen soldiers of World War I can be found on the south of the church. 19. The well by the roundabout This well is from 2001 and is a replica of a Moravian well. 20. The oak bole barn Bulladen, Gl. Præstegaardsvej no. 11 (est. 1668) One of the wings of the old four-winged rectory sets apart from the other three; it is made entirely from wood without a

71 single nail. It is one of the only well-kept examples of this type of building, although it used to be very popular in this region, the south of Sweden as well as other places in Europe. They are called bole houses, as they are built from boles (whole trunks) of oak wood. The house is timbered and has a specific shape to keep away mould. The 36 meters long bole oak barn is the largest one in Denmark still located in its original position. If you look through the cracks you can see the storage of old oak boles used for repair by the Danish Agency for Culture and Palaces. 21. Christinero The Lady Chamberlain Christina Friederica von Holstein lived in the - now demolished - estate of Favrvrågård 250 meters south of Christinero until she died in 1812. She was married to the Chamberlain Christian Friederich von Holstein who passed away in 1798. They were very different in their ways; He found great joy in hunting and socializing and was rarely at home, whereas she was devoted to literature, philosophy and religion. She loved the tranquillity of the park she had built there in 1780. Originally it would have had a bit more of a romantic feel with little lakes, fountains a small gazeboes with dolls. You can still see the tea pavilion where she liked to gather likeminded friends, the small kitchen house where her meals were prepared and the chapel where she is buried. When she passed away, The Lady chamberlain Christina Friederica von Holstein bequeathed Favrvrågård and the nearby park Christinero to the Moravian church. You can read more about Christinero in the article »Tea with the lady Chamberlain« further along in this paper.

Profile for Business Kolding

Christiansfeld Turistavis 2017  

Christiansfeld er et unikt sted at besøge, hvor du kan opleve den stringente og retvinklede byplan. De tyske gule mursten og højtryggede rød...

Christiansfeld Turistavis 2017  

Christiansfeld er et unikt sted at besøge, hvor du kan opleve den stringente og retvinklede byplan. De tyske gule mursten og højtryggede rød...