ALGORITHMIC SKETCHBOOK MARTINA WYLIE 2015
WEEK 1: VASE
DESIGN 1 For this vase design I started off by creating five different sized closed curves. I then separately linked the curves to scale bars and number sliders, which hence were able to alter the side of each closed curve. I then connected all the scaled curves to a loft command to create the vaseâ€™s surface.
DESIGN 2 This vase design is similar to that of the first design. The main difference is that I used multiple open curves instead of closed curves to become the basic frame for my loft command. Unlike the closed curves which sat horizontally in design 1, these open curves sit vertically, mirroring each other around a radius.
DESIGN 3 For this vase design I created the location and size of my base circle frames straight from grasshopper. I used number sliders to control the positioning and size of my frames. I again used the loft command to create the overall shape for my vase but I feel that this vase was much more malleable compared to my previous two vase designs.
For this vase design I used a polygon connected by a series of points. The polygon was also connected to multiple number sliders which effected qualities of the polygon such as size of the radius and roundness of fillet radius. I also then used a loft command to connect the frame.
Inspired by the online tutorials given this week, I decided to experiment with the command voronoi3D. I also created an adjustable lofted surface and used that as the base geometry for populate3D and voronoi3D. After baking, I then deleted small pieces of the design in order to create something that looks relatively like that of a vase.
WEEK 2: SURFACE
DESIGN 1 - Making the Pavilion For this I had to start off with two closed curves, and the centenary command which was the basis of my pavilionâ€™s shape, afterwards I had to use multiple loft related commands as well as a flip command to create the surface of the pavilion. After this process I realised that the loft did not close properly, and so I had to use the toggle command to close the surface. It was extremely interesting using the third curve at a control for the form of the pavilion.
For this design I had to download the plug-in Weaverbird, then by using the new plug-in I proceeded to integrate my initial pavilion design into a mesh command linked with multiple weaverbird mesh commands. This mesh was a lot of fun to use, I then added in sliders to change the thickness of the mesh.
For this experiment I watched the driftwood video tutorial prior. I like the smooth, almost topography-like style of the surface curves. I had to used extrude and then manually delete excess parts to create the texture of my pavilion.
DESIGN 4 - Data Tree Managment - List Experimentation
LONGEST LIST EXPERIMENTATION
TRIM LIST EXPERIMENTATION
I used the a parabola and a straight linear line along with the graph mapper when experimenting with the lists. in the furthest right images you can see the parabola made the lists much more complex.
WEEK 3: PATTERNS
DESIGN 1 - IMAGE SAMPLING I enjoyed this process and it seemed fairly simple. I used a black and white image and integrated it with a circle command. I then experimented with pattern replicas of the image on both a surface and a grid.
DESIGN 2 - CULL, GRID, DIVIDE CURVE - PATTERN GENERATION
These points were based of a curve and a surface. I used the divide curve to create multiple points on the curve. I again created a grid which was based off the surface I made in Rhino and the made a large amount of Toggle commands to play around with the amount of control points within the pattern.
DESIGN 3 - PATTERN GENERATION 2 For this generation I experimented with using both circles and lines enclosing my cross-reference. Along with this I experimented with both the flatten and cull commands. Both commands caused the pattern generations to be entirely different. I also added a slider to my grid to add change to the shape of my patterns.
DESIGN 4 - VORONI
WEEK 4: FUNCTIONS
;DESIGN 3 : Expression I explored with multiple different functions to achieve these unique flower shapes
WEEK 5: KANGAROO
DESIGN 1: Spider Webs
For this design we were to experiment with the plug-in Kangaroo. Anchor points had to be set on order for the end-geometry to not â€˜fly awayâ€™. I felt that these were very interesting and could be further explored to create something like a membrane.
DESIGN 2: Spider Webs on the YZ Plane + XY Plane
For this algorithm I just rotated the geometry onto the YZ plane. But in order to make the spider web project outward without slanting, I had to include both the y and z vector to the unary force.
NON TEACHING WEEK: Fabrication
DESIGN 1: Unroll Brep This was a fairly simple exercise, the only thing I did was connect my geometry to the unroll brep algorithmic function
DESIGN 1: Simple Tabs I used the same geometry as before. This was again quite easy, except some of the tabs did over lap