STATE NORMAL SCHOOL, BRIDGEWATER.
The present principal was appointed in 1906. The growth of the school is shown by the enlargements made for its accommodation, as follows:
capacity 70 per cent. hall,
In 1869 Normal Hall, the
the school building was again enlarged, increasing
In 1871 capacity
In 1873 Normal Hall was enlarged so as to accommodate one hundred and forty-eight students. In 1881 a new building was erected for physical and chemical labora-
50 per cent.
In 1883 a sewage farm of four and one-half acres was purchased.
"Boyden Park" was purchased
school by two of
1887 Normal its
Grove was presented to the alumni. Dr. Lewis G. Lowe and Samuel
In 1890 the school building erected in 1846, with
ments, was removed and a a cost of $150,000.
The same year
erected in 1881 was converted into
the laboratory building
the school building was enlarged, increasing per cent, at a cost of $75,000;
brick structure was erected at
for athletic purposes.
same year South Field
In 1895 Tillinghast Hall,
a brick building which accommodates seventy-two students,
and a steam laundry were erected. Gardner Boyden" gymnasium was
In 1904 the
built at a cost of $55,000.
In 1907 a natural science garden of nearly two acres was presented to the school by Albert G. Boyden. propriation of $175,000 was
plant and for the erection of
In 1910 an ap-
made for a new a new dormitory
1911 a large greenhouse for laboratory purposes in connection
with the science garden was erected, the
R. Stevens, a graduate of the school; during the same year an additional gift of one-half an acre of land was made by Albert G. Boyden, for the purpose of extending the science garden. In 1915 an appropriation of $237,000 was made to replace
Normal Hall with In
of study required three successive terms of fourteen weeks each; in 1855 the course was made