Page 1

Getting Started Postgraduate January 2014 Follow us on Twitter @bruneluni


Before you arrive

Register as a Brunel student Registration is the process of formally becoming a Brunel student, and it takes place in two parts. PART ONE The first part involves completing an online Registration task. You should do this at home through eVision (, Brunel’s online student portal. You will have received an email explaining how to complete the online task. Log in using your ‘my Applications’ username and password, then you will need to: • check that the personal details we hold about you are correct; • provide information about how you intend to pay your fees; • upload or post a passport sized photograph of yourself for your student ID card – we need to receive your photo at least one week prior to your start date so that your ID card is ready for you, otherwise a photo will be taken and your card created when you arrive. Once you have completed the task, you will be asked to print a Provisional Registration Document. You should bring this with you to the second part of Registration. Don’t panic if you don’t have Internet access at home – you can complete the task when you arrive, but it will make part two of Registration much quicker if you can complete part one before arriving at Brunel. PART TWO The second part of Registration is completed in person during your first week on campus. It takes place in the Bannerman Centre (Library building). Opening times can be found at You will need to bring your passport and any other relevant Registration documentation listed on page 4. We will complete all the required checks and issue you with your student ID card, and there will also be a further opportunity to arrange payment of your tuition fees.

3 Arrange your accommodation LIVING ON CAMPUS On-campus accommodation is allocated once you have met all the conditions of your offer. Due to the high demand for accommodation amongst students in the main September intake, Brunel cannot guarantee availability at other points of the year. To check if rooms are available, or to add your details to the Accommodation Office waiting lists please go to and the Accommodation Office will contact you if suitable accommodation does become available. If you are unable to commute until a campus room becomes available or you are seeking accommodation with your family please contact Brunel Student Homes ( who will be happy to assist you in looking for local off-campus accommodation. If you have any queries, please check the Accommodation website where you will be able to find the answers to most standard questions, as well as a Question and Answer Centre. If you are still unable to find the information you require, please contact the Accommodation Office: Tel +44 (0)1895 267900 SMS +44 (0)7860 023026 Question and Answer Centre Email Web LIVING OFF CAMPUS Either before your first year or in later years of study, you may decide to live off-campus. Whatever you’re looking for, your first port of call should be the Housing Office, which is dedicated to students’ needs and does not charge for its services. They run a number of schemes to help you find a great place to live. Tel +44 (0)1895 266187 Web


Before you arrive

What to bring with you DOCUMENTS FOR REGISTRATION • Passport (you cannot register without it, even if you have previously registered as a Brunel student – if you don’t have one, see www.brunel. • Brunel offer email or another document containing your seven digit Student Number (usually starting 13 or 14) • Provisional Registration Document (you can print this once you have completed the online Registration task – see page 2) • Original academic certificates plus certified English translations, if applicable (unless we have already seen them) • English language certificates (bring these if you are an international student or if your offer was conditional on achieving an English language qualification – unless we have already seen them) • Sponsorship letters (if you are receiving external sponsorship) • Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS) check documents (Occupational Therapy, Education and Social Work students only – you will have been sent details of what to bring if the check is not yet complete) • Visa, if you are an international student (make sure that you have a visa that covers the full length of your course) GENERAL DOCUMENTS • Receipts from payments already made to Brunel • National Insurance number card (in case you want to get a job) • NHS medical card (this contains your NHS number and your current GP’s details, and will make it easier to register at the campus Medical Centre) • Driving licence (if you have one) • Railcard and/or Oyster card

5 DOCUMENTS TO ACCESS YOUR ROOM ON CAMPUS • Key release form (you can print this after completing the Residences e-Induction – see page 9) • Copy of your Licence Agreement • Photo ID (to confirm your residency) • One recent passport-sized photograph of yourself (to be kept on your records in your Hall) ITEMS FOR YOUR HALLS OF RESIDENCE • Kitchen – crockery, cutlery, pans, utensils, corkscrew/bottle opener, food for the first few days, washing up liquid and scourers, tea towel • Bathroom – towels, toiletries, toilet roll • Washing powder • Stationery • Laptop/PC (if you have one) • Money (there’s a bank and a cash machine on campus but it is useful to have some cash to start off with) If you are in Halls on campus, your room will contain a bed, wardrobe, bedside table, desk, chair, bed linen and duvet, bin and notice board. Your shared kitchen will contain a cooker, fridge, freezer, sink, kettle, bin, iron and ironing board, dustpan and brush, mop and bucket, and kitchen table and chairs. Please note that you will need to buy a TV licence if you watch or record programmes via any medium as they are shown on TV, or if you watch live streaming on a computer or mobile device. You can do this on the TV Licensing website (


Before you arrive

Get a Headstart on your studies Postgraduate brings a new set of challenges, but if you are well prepared, enthusiastic and hardworking there is no reason why you won’t succeed at Brunel. If it has been some time since you completed your undergraduate studies, or if you just want a refresher, the Brunel Headstart Programme (www.brunel. shows you what you can expect from you course, what will be expected of you, and how to develop your existing study techniques to meet these expectations. The website offers a variety of resources on topics such as learning independently and academic writing, as well as advice videos from academic staff and students at Brunel. Headstart was created by the ASK Academic Skills service, which will support your learning throughout your course. Find out more about how ASK can support you at You may also want to start reading around your subject area in preparation for your course. Reading lists for most courses are available at http:// and include direct links to further details in the Brunel Library catalogue. This allows you to purchase books or search your local library before you arrive.

International students: arranging medical care, insurance and banking UK HEALTH SERVICES If you are in the UK on a student visa for more than six months you will qualify for free healthcare from the National Health Service (NHS). Dental care is not included, so any dental treatment received in the UK must be paid for privately. You will need to register with a doctor (a General Practitioner or GP) to access NHS services. If you live on campus, you can register with Brunel’s

7 Medical Centre – see If you live off campus, visit to find the doctor closest to you. If you are an international student taking a course that lasts for less than six months, you will not be covered by the NHS and should arrange health insurance before you travel to the UK. TRAVEL AND OTHER INSURANCE It is a good idea to take out travel insurance for your journey to Brunel in case your flight is cancelled or your luggage is lost. You may also want to insure valuables such as cameras and MP3 players. Alternatively, you can arrange cover cheaply in the UK. OPENING A UK BANK ACCOUNT Once you are fully enrolled, you will be able to apply for a UK bank account. This can take up to 10 working days and bank drafts can take two weeks to clear, so we suggest you bring £150 in cash to cover your first few days as well as a widely accepted credit card or £500 in travellers’ cheques for the first month. For further information on banking see the British Banker’s Association website at MAKING PAYMENTS TO BRUNEL FROM ABROAD Credit/debit card, cheque, direct bank transfer or banker’s draft can be used to make advance payments to Brunel – pay by credit/debit card where possible as charges are lower. Please do not send cash through the mail under any circumstances. FINANCE ENQUIRIES Web Email Telephone +44 (0) 1895 265519 Fax +44 (0) 1895 269700


Before you arrive

International students: entering the UK IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS During your flight to the UK the crew will hand out Landing Cards. You will need to fill in details such as your name and date of birth, address in the UK, occupation (‘student’), and arrival flight details (printed on your ticket). You’ll have another chance to fill this in when you land. At the airport you will go through UK Border Control, also known as Customs. You will need to clear immigration before you reclaim your luggage, so make sure you have the following documents in your hand luggage ready for the Immigration Officer: • • • •

Passport and visa Completed Landing Card Your Admissions/Offer Letter Pre-Departure Clearance Certificate or Chinese Certificate of Health booklet • Bank statements/evidence of funds For further information on arrival see the UK Border Agency website: SAFETY ON ARRIVAL The UK is generally a friendly place, but make sure you keep bags with you at all times. Keep valuables such as wallets and phones out of sight and only use public transport and black cabs. For more information on personal safety go to REGISTERING WITH THE OVERSEAS VISITORS REGISTRATION OFFICE (OVRO) Students of some nationalities have to register with the police within seven days of arrival. Check your visa and if you are unsure visit Brunel International – the team can advise you and provide a map and directions to OVRO in London.

Your first day


Arriving at Brunel Your first day can be a nerve‑wracking experience, but we are here to help you at every step. Visit for information on how to get to Brunel. WHEN TO ARRIVE You should make sure you come to the University in time for the first event listed in your induction timetable. INDUCTION TIMETABLES If you have not already done so, you should download your induction timetable from Your induction timetable will detail all the events you should attend in your first week at Brunel. It is important that you attend all of these. Please make a note of when you will have an opportunity to come and complete your Registration, and remember to bring with you all of the Registration documents listed on page 4. Short induction sessions are available on how to start using the Library and making the most of the services it offers. If you don’t have a Library induction timetabled, ask a member of staff and you can book into the best session for you. TEACHING TIMETABLES Your Teaching timetable will be available from mid December. You will be able to access it via Blackboard Learn, Brunel’s Virtual Learning Environment. If you are a new student you will need to complete your online registration before you can access Blackboard Learn and your timetable (see pages 1315). MOVING INTO YOUR ACCOMMODATION Each Hall has a team of Residences student mentors – students who are employed by the University to help support and guide you. You will have the opportunity to meet them when you arrive.


Your first day


Zone A

Zone E

1 Isambard Complex A–Q

Lancaster Complex 13 Borough Road Hall 14 Maria Grey Hall 15 Lancaster Suite Conference Office 16 Southwark Hall 17 Stockwell

2 Galbraith Hall 3 Fleming Hall 4 Mill Hall

11 Accommodation on campus

Main University Reception Main Reception

Main University Entrance

Zone F 5 Saltash Hall 6 Chepstow Hall 7 Clifton Hall Bishop Complex 8 Bishop Hall 9 Kilmorey Hall 10 Lacy Hall 11 St Margarets Hall 12 Faraday Complex Lancaster Complex 18 Gordon Hall

133238 110912


Your first week

Settling in WHAT IS UBS? The Union of Brunel Students (UBS) is a democratic, student-led organisation. UBS runs the Advice and Representation Centre, sports clubs and societies, Radio Brunel, Le Nurb (the student newspaper), Raise and Give, the Academy Nightclub, Locos Bar, Subway, the Student Reps scheme and much more. Web Facebook www.facebook/brunelstudents Twitter MEET YOUR CONTACTS Waiting to help you move in and find your way around are your Students’ Union Contacts, who will help you meet people and take advantage of everything that the University has to offer. Contacts are divided into teams for each Hall together with specific teams to support off-campus and international students. VISIT THE GRADUATE SCHOOL The Graduate School acts as a hub for all postgraduate students at Brunel, and its staff champion postgraduate issues, encourage inter-disciplinarity, and support the development of postgraduate students. Centrally located opposite the Lecture Centre and next to the Quad, its facilities include: • 24 hour secure swipe card access, 365 days a year • storage lockers • kitchen with microwave, fridge, kettle, snack machine and cold water dispenser • quiet study room with internet access • 24/7 Postgraduate Study Centre in the Library, with 40 workstations, printers and laptop facilities • postgraduate common room • laptops available for weekly loan

13 The Graduate School also runs skills training programmes to support the development of personal, professional and research skills. Web Tel +44 (0)1895 265935 Email GET YOUR NUS EXTRA CARD Your NUS Extra card gives you discounts at Amazon, McDonalds, Ticketmaster, Odeon, Megabus, Accessorize and many more local and national companies. (Discounts are subject to change - see the web link below for the latest information.) Pick up a card from the Hamilton Centre, or get one online via the UBS website. Web

Arrange computer and Internet access Brunel students can access a range of computer services. If you have any questions, contact Computing Support. Web EVISION eVision is the online student portal – you may have used it to access ‘my Applications’. You will also use it to complete part one of Registration, as well as to pay fees, update personal details, find information on modules and results, and enrol for subsequent years. Check your own portal at


Your first week

BRUNEL NETWORK ACCOUNT Shortly after you complete the online Registration task (see page 2) your Network account details will appear in your eVision portal. These give you full access to your account, the intranet, and space in which to save work (your Home or H:drive). You can use your Network account details in work areas around campus. Some are open 24/7 and provide self service print, photocopy and scan-toemail services. PASSWORD SELF SERVICE Register for Password Self Service at This allows you to manage your password should you forget it or need to change it. @MY.BRUNEL @my.brunel is a collection of applications including email, calendars and contacts, based on Google Apps. Your student number is your username, along with your Network account password. Staff will usually communicate with you via email, so check your messages regularly at VIRTUAL LEARNING ENVIRONMENT (VLE) Blackboard Learn is Brunel’s VLE. Your teaching team will use it to communicate with you, organise activities, make available online moduleand course-related materials, and set assignments. You can log in at within 24 hours of obtaining your Network account details. The log in page provides help and resources, or visit the Student Centre for specific problems (see page 16). BRING YOUR OWN DEVICE (BYOD) Brunel’s Connect services allow you to connect registered personal networkable devices, such as laptops, tablets, smartphones or games consoles, to the University network.

15 Once you have your Brunel Network account details you will be able to register each of your devices on the Connect Portal. You can do this either on or off campus. You can also subscribe to ResNet and WiFi@Brunel (see below) via the Connect Portal (some usage restrictions may apply). Web RESNET ResNet is the hardwired (Ethernet) network in Halls of Residence. It provides every study bedroom with a computer network outlet into which you can plug your computer to access to the Brunel network and the Internet. The ResNet outlet has a connection speed of 100mbps with Internet access of up to 40mbps. The University takes a minimalist approach to restrictions aside from those considered necessary for the security of the network. Please note that the ResNet service requires a standard Cat5e network cable which you can purchase either before you arrive or from your Residence Manager or the Computer Centre IT store. RESNET WIFI@BRUNEL This is the wireless (WiFi) network in all Halls of Residence and academic buildings and most social amenity buildings, enabling you to connect your wireless enabled devices to the Internet, via the Brunel network. Wifi@Brunel is a web browsing service intended for laptops, tablets and other mobile devices. As such there are some restrictions and limitations to the type of internet activity that is supported. Wifi@Brunel enables the connection of wireless devices that are compatible with 802.11g/n WPA2 Enterprise on both the 2.4GHz range and the 5GHz range at a connection speed of up to 300mbps, with internet access of up to 40mbps. The Wireless network called SignUp4Wifi@Brunel is a dedicated open network that will only allow access to the connect portal for the initial device registration process. Once your device is registered, this network should not be used and you should connect to Wifi@Brunel.


Your first week

The Student Centre The Student Centre provides many central support services and should be your first port of call for any administrative enquiries, including: • Student Records and general administration, including enrolment, name and address changes, and travel discounts • Finance issues including tuition and accommodation payments, student loans, scholarships and emergency loans • Accommodation enquiries including payments, vacating procedures, deposits and refunds • Permits to park on campus, including applications, lost/damaged permits and vehicle changes (in the first instance, apply online via • Student ID cards, including replacement cards and access enquiries • Assistance with eVision and Blackboard Learn, including logging in, password resets and task activity support • Student letters and visa extensions, including bank, council tax and student status letters (many of these can also be requested via Location Ground floor Bannerman Centre, open Mon, Tues, Thurs 10am‑4pm and Weds, Fri 9am-3pm Web Tel +44 (0)1895 268268, lines open Mon-Fri 10am-4pm Email

17 Money matters Full fees and funding information can be found online at These pages also contain information about extra‑curricular Brunel scholarships and other financial help that you may be able to access once you arrive at University, including: • Disabled Students Allowance (DSA), which helps disabled university students to cover any extra costs that are a direct result of their disability, such as computer equipment, support workers, books, printing and travel. Any disabled student can apply, including students with mental health conditions and other non-visible disabilities such as dyslexia, epilepsy, diabetes, arthritis and repetitive strain injury. For help in applying or more information, see • Childcare Grant and Parent’s Learning Allowance, which help students with children to cover term-time childcare costs and course costs, and the Adult Dependants’ Grant, which is designed to support students on whom an adult depends financially. You can apply to these schemes either before or during your course – see to find out more.


Your first week

Brunel International Brunel International assists international students at every stage of their studies, and has dedicated teams to help with queries including immigration, finance, welfare and free English support for non-native speakers. Some services are available to all students, such as free foreign language courses, social events and the Family Club. Location First floor Russell Building Web

Sport and fitness Brunel’s sport and fitness facilities are second to none and new students can take advantage of a special offer on gym membership. The More Energy gym, located in the Sports Centre, offers over 79 cardiovascular and resistance stations, a ‘free weight’ strength training room, and a series of fitness classes. Staff can offer assistance with any aspect of your training, including full inductions and tours, personal programmes, general training advice, weight management workshops, fitness testing and blood glucose testing. Find out more at Find out more about sport at Brunel Indoor and outdoor sports facilities Joining sports clubs

19 University services You will also want to sign up for a number of other services and facilities – have a look at the following links to find out more about life at Brunel. Library Jobs and volunteering Medical Centre Disability and Dyslexia Service Counselling Arts Centre Faith and religion International Pathways and Language Centre (IPLC) Advice and support Academic Skills Service (ASK) Student Centre


Dates to remember


Date payable

Tuition fees (1st instalment)

At Registration

Tuition fees (2nd instalment)

5 February 2014

Tuition fees (3rd instalment)

5 March 2014

Tuition fees (4th instalment)

2 April 2014

Tuition fees (5th instalment)

7 May 2014

Tuition fees (6th instalment)

4 June 2014


Payment type

Date payable

Tuition fees (60%)

At Registration

Tuition fees (40%)

5 March 2014

Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this brochure and the University will take all reasonable action to deliver these services in accordance with the descriptions set out in it. However, the University reserves the right to vary these services, using all reasonable efforts to offer a suitable alternative. All costs, rates and prices stated in this brochure are subject to amendment and should be taken as a guide only. Students are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the University’s summary of terms which is published on the web at before accepting a place.

5530 171213

Please note that international students will be required to pay 60% of the course fee at Registration and the remaining 40% at the start of the Spring Term. If fully self-funding students wish to pay for the course in full on or before Registration they will receive a 2% discount.

Postgraduate getting started guide Jan 2014  

For postgraduate students starting at Brunel in 2014.

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you