What’s happening Loons up for auction Friday; Slam Poetry at Brick Church; Waterford Fair expands music line-up Summer Scene, Page 1B
Record field
Inside News
Bridgton’s 4 on the Fourth eclipses 1,900 registrations; Jonny Wilson of Falmouth wins
Calendar. . . . . . . 4D-5D
Page 1C
Classifieds . . . . . 6D-7D Country Living . . . . . 7B Directory . . . . . . . . . 10D Obituaries . . . . . . . . . 8D Opinions . . . . 1D-5D, 7D Police/Court . . . . .6A-7A Sports . . . . . . . . . 1C-7C Student News . . . . . . 8C Towns . . . . . . . . 9D, 11D Weather . . . . . . . . . . 7D
www.bridgton.com Vol. 142, No. 27
Serving Bridgton and the surrounding towns of Western Maine since 1870. 40 PAGES - 4 Sections
Bridgton, Maine
July 7, 2011
(USPS 065-020)
SIXTY CENTS
Hope for closure
After 12 years, Torres family simply wants to bring Tony home By Wayne E. Rivet Staff Writer DENMARK — Ramona Torres’ heart breaks every single day that goes by without any news of the whereabouts of her son, Tony. “Every day seems like it just happen,” she said, clutching a framed photograph of Tony inside her Denmark home. “It’s a tough time of the year for us.” In April, the Torres family celebrated Tony’s birthday. He would have been 33 years old. Twelve years ago, Angel “Tony” Torres was last seen in Biddeford at 2 a.m. near a store. He had been out with friends, and later dropped off. Reportedly, he was looking for a ride to North Conway, N.H. That was the last time the 21-year-old college student was seen. The date is firmly etched in Ramona’s memory. May 21, 1999 — the last time Tony was seen alive. Tony had returned home for Mother’s Day weekend, and
Missing in Maine
According to the Maine State Police website, the following missing person cases remain active: Douglas Chapman Missing since: 1971 T o w n : Alfred On June 2, 1971, at about 10:30 a.m., 3-yearold Douglas Chapman was reported missing by his mother. He was last seen playing by a sand pile approximately
told his mother that he planned to move off campus (he was a junior at Framingham State College in Massachusetts) to live with his girlfriend. The Torres met the young lady, and were impressed.
25 yards in front of his residence. His mother reported that she was in the residence talking on the phone, and his father was at work. There was no sign of a struggle and no significant evidence was found at the scene. Joseph Bichrest Missing since: 1976 Town: Greenville Joseph Bichrest, formerly of Pennsylvania, was an attorney living in Greenville. In 1976, he disappeared, along with his Jeep. Investigation revealed that a credit card in MISSING, Page 8A “We told him that she was a very nice young lady for him,” Ramona said. Days later, Tony called to wish his parents a happy anniversary. He was excited about his new apartment/condominium. He
told his mother he would call her again on a Thursday, figuring his new telephone would be in service. “Thursday came and went with no phone call. There was a message earlier when he was moving. I didn’t want to erase it because I had a funny feeling about it,” Ramona recalled. “I was very emotional that evening. I went into the bathroom and cried. I didn’t know why I was crying. I had a bad feeling something was wrong. It wasn’t about him moving on (into his own place).” Sunday came and went without any word from Tony despite repeated phone calls from his family. “He always called. He knows how much I worry,” Ramona said. “I called some of his friends at Framingham to see if they knew where he was or if they had a new number.” A friend told Ramona that Tony was in Maine. After talkCLOSURE, Page 8A
SAD 61 heads back to drawing board
By Wayne E. Rivet Staff Writer When the SAD 61 proposed budget failed for a second time last week, this time by a mere 16 votes, officials were left to wonder, “How much do we cut now? Interim Superintendent Dr. Kathleen Beecher cautioned the school board Monday night that a “clear” mandate had not been
sent. “If the margin had been 50 to 150, I would say the message was very clear that taxpayers want to see more cuts,” she said last week. “16 votes, however, is not a mandate.” The school board decided Monday night to ask the district’s Leadership Team to bring back possible cuts that would produce the “least amount of
impact” upon students and programs. After the first budget proposal was rejected, SAD 61 administrators presented the school board with a shopping list that totaled over $300,000 in possible cuts. The board, however, decided to trim back the budget by $172,00. Taxpayers made the cut a little deeper by tagging on $90,000 (funds that would have
supported the Grade 8 Summit — a remedial program to bring students up to proficiency levels before allowing them to move on to high school — which no longer had sufficient student enrollment) at the district budget meeting for a total of $262,000. Leadership Team recommendations will be discussed at the SAD 61, Page 3A
Fireworks song sparks ‘flash mob’
By Dawn De Busk Staff Writer NAPLES — Sporting redwhite-and-blue leis, Amanda Krug and Jennifer Reissfelder finished a meal at Rick’s Café and found a spot on the sidewalk to catch the Fourth of July parade. The two women didn’t know their choices on the Causeway would put them front and center for a pleasant surprise. As Katy Perry’s hit single, Fireworks, started emitting from nearby speakers, “We thought it was just part of the parade.”
Suddenly, about 20 people shot onto the street and began dancing in unison to the song so appropriate for Independence Day festivities. “It was the first time I had seen a flash mob,” Krug said. “And, we had front row seats,” Reissfelder added. For the next three minutes and 43 seconds, the group led by Zumba instructor Vickie Toole executed the routine they had practiced during the week prior to the performance on the Causeway. “It was exhilarating. The crowd went wild,” Toole said,
of the cheering, whistles and in-time clapping that erupted from spectators. Toole’s two daughters were among those who grooved to the upbeat music. Olivia Toole, 10, said it was an awesome experience — one she has relived by watching the videotaping on YouTube, where it was downloaded under Maine flash mob dance. “I think it was interesting to dance and surprise everyone,” Olivia said. Her younger sister, sevenyear-old Brooke, wasn’t so thrilled about having a live
audience. “It was kind of embarrassing ‘cause it was in front of all those people,” Brooke said. Another seven-year-old dancer, Danielle Gordon, tossed aside any apprehension about performing in public. “I was really excited, and I thought that it would be fun to surprise people,” she said. “I felt like no one could judge me, and I was free to dance however I wanted,” Gordon said. “I was really psyched to be in a flash mob,” she said. FLASH MOB, Page 5A
‘I WILL NEVER GIVE UP HOPE’ — Ramona Torres of Denmark hopes someone will someday provide police with information that will lead authorities to the location of Angel “Tony” Torres’ remains. Ramona’s son (pictured) was just 21 when he disappeared. (Rivet Photo)
Shore violation nets $5,000 fine
By Lisa Williams Ackley Staff Writer A couple who built a 10-foot by 12-foot deck on their new home, on Highland Lake in Bridgton, have agreed to remove it and will pay a $5,000 fine for having violated the Town of Bridgton Shoreland Zoning Ordinance. Bridgton Code Enforcement Officer Rob Baker told selectmen here last week that Thomas J. and Kimberly M. Buonopane and town officials have been cooperating with each other in an attempt to reach an outof-court settlement for the violation at the property the couple owns at 86 Highland Road. Baker said he and Town Manager Mitch Berkowitz negotiated the consent agreement with the Buonopanes and their attorney on behalf of the town. The selectmen unanimously agreed to accept the consent agreement at their June 28 meeting. The town’s Shoreland Zoning Ordinance authorizes municipal officers to enter into an administrative consent agreement for the purpose of eliminating violations of the ordinance and recovering fines without court action. Under the terms of the consent agreement Buonopanes have agreed: • to remove the 10-foot by 12-foot deck at the southwest corner of the structure within 90 days of the signed agreement; • that a walkway no larger than four feet wide leading from the screened porch to the lower deck will be allowed, however it must comply with the 2009 International Code; • that the area below the removed deck shall be re-vegetated with native plants and have soil stabilization during the growing period; • that there shall be no further expansion of the structure on the south and southwesterly side; • to voluntarily pay a $5,000 fine by official bank check, payable to the Town of Bridgton, by 4 p.m. on July 5, 2011. In return, the Town agrees to relinquish its right to prosecute the land owner/property owner for violating the ordinance in consideration of the land owner’s/property owner’s promise to pay a fine; except that, if the landowner breaches the terms of the agreement by failing to pay the fine, or if the land owner/property owner fails to remediate the impacted area by the agreed deadline or expands this violation or creates another violation, the Town then may institute appropriate court proceedings to enforce the provisions of the ordinance, without refund of the $5,000 fine and the land owner/property owner shall be liable and reimburse the Town for all expenses incurred by the Town from the date of action against the violation.
The Bridgton News Established 1870
FLASH MOB SCENE suddenly appeared in front of Rick’s Cafe in Naples prior to the start of the Fourth of July parade.
The “flash mob” proved to be quite entertaining for those who were patiently awaiting the start of the parade.
P.O. Box 244, 118 Main St. Bridgton, ME 04009 207-647-2851 Fax: 207-647-5001 bnews@roadrunner.com