Concussion Treatment And Speech Therapy
Synopsis 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7.
Be on the Journey to Wellness after Concussion with These Tips How Concussion is Treated Choosing the Right Clinic for Concussion Treatment in Toronto FAQs about Concussion Treatment in Toronto All You Need To Know About Concussion Treatment in Toronto Types of Concussion – Get the Best Concussion Treatment in Toronto 2 Speech Issues in your Child that Require the Help of a Speech Therapist in Toronto 8. Speech Disorders: How Speech Therapist in Toronto Can Help? 9. Things to Consider Before Choosing A Speech Therapist in Toronto for Your Child 10. How to Tell If Your Child Needs a Speech Therapist in Toronto and What They Can Do for Your Kid 11. Common Reasons for Speech Impairment – See the Best Speech Therapist in Toronto! 12. Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders: Here’s What You Need to Know
Be on the Journey to Wellness after Concussion with These Tips • Seek Out Help o First things first, you need to find a specialist for a thorough concussion treatment. Find a good specialist near you who has the right knowledge and skills and can offer you the right guidance. It is important not to do it alone as the effects might be much more severe than you think.
• Take Rest o This is very important especially in the initial days after concussion. You need to take cognitive and physical rest and avoid indulging in many social activities. Your mind needs rest so you should limit the sensory input you are feeding into it. Take time off work or school and avoid playing any sports. You can do light physical activities like walking around the house, only if the symptoms are not severe.
• Reduce Stress o Stress can affect the process of healing after concussion. Therefore, reduce as much stress as you can through tools like relaxation techniques including but not limited to mindfulness and breathing exercises.
Be on the Journey to Wellness after Concussion with These Tips • Exercise
o Doing too much physical exercise can be dangerous after concussion but not doing any can prolong the recovery period for you. Indulge in light exercise, as recommended by your doctor, to speed up the process of recovery.
• Don’t Rush
o Take things slow. It will take some time for you to get back to the normal life and pace. Don’t try to rush it as it can take a toll on your health. Take it slow and you will be back to normal in some time.
• Sleep Well
o Recovering from concussion also demands you to sleep well. Try to keep away anything that stresses you out and makes you unable to go to sleep. Keep your mind and body relaxed and sleep for a healthy amount of time to give your mind and body the rest they need and deserve.
• Eat Well
o You are going to speed up the process of recovery if you eat good, healthy and nutritious food. Eat food rich in Omega 3, drink plenty of water, avoid refined sugar, alcohol, and processed foods. All this will help you recover fast while you are undergoing treatment from a concussion specialist in Toronto.
How Concussion is Treated •
This is not something that should be neglected. The treatment plan depends on the severity of the concussion. It’s crucial to protect yourself if the concussion is severe. A healthcare provider can better guide you by diagnosing the concussion, determining the severity of the concussion and the appropriate treatment plan. When you have grade 3 concussion, visit your physician immediately. Your doctor would discuss symptoms and treatment with you. The doctor would ask you basic questions, such as about where you live. Moreover, the healthcare provider would test your coordination and reflexes or whether your nervous system is functioning properly. You would be provided with instructions for recovery along with medications in case the symptoms worsen. If you have sustained a brain injury from an accident or activity, stop doing that activity and take a break. Give your brain time to recover from the blow. Doing the same activity would only make the concussion worse. You run a higher chance of retaining a concussion. Frequent concussions can have cumulative impacts on your brain, such as inflammation, disabilities, permanent brain damage or death. You may also have to take a break from normal activities when you have incurred trauma. Your doctor can guide you about whether you can return to normal activities or not.
Choosing the Right Clinic for Concussion Treatment in Toronto â€˘ How Many Patients do the Specialists in the Clinic See? o First things first, experience of the specialists mean a lot when it comes to choosing a clinic or a specialist, for concussion treatment. It is best to choose a doctor who primarily sees concussion patients and it is their area of expertise.
â€˘ What is the Qualification of the Experts? o While there are many disciplines that can help in getting an insight into treating concussion, it is the experience of directly dealing with concussion patients that makes the difference. A clinician with a relevant Ph.D, MD, DO or DAT will have more knowledge about the treatment options with adequate training.
Choosing the Right Clinic for Concussion Treatment in Toronto • Is There a Multidisciplinary Staff?
o Concussions are one of the most complex injuries. The recovery from concussions can fall into any medical discipline such as physical therapists, neurologists, occupational therapists, speech pathologists, neuropsychologists etc. Thus, it is best to choose a clinic that has a multidisciplinary staff and can offer help in different fields when they are treating concussions. With interdisciplinary treatments, the staff will be more adequately equipped to provide specialist treatment.
• How Long have they been Practicing?
o It is important to choose a practice that has been helping concussion patients for a long time. There are many new clinics opening up but they are not tailored to meet the unique needs of the concussion patients. Therefore, it is best to choose one that is specifically tailored to treat concussion patients and meet their individual needs effectively when it comes to helping them and treating them.
• Are they Affiliated with a Medical Body?
o It is important to choose a concussion treatment clinic that is affiliated with a university or hospital. These clinics have more resources available for treating patients with concussion. Affiliations can be really helpful in short listing the best concussion treatment centers in Toronto.
FAQs about Concussion Treatment in Toronto â€˘ What is a concussion? o Any injury or movement that causes your brain to move inside your skull is a concussion. They are also called mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI) but they can also be serious.
â€˘ How common are concussions? o Surprisingly, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say that concussions are the most common type of head injury! They are mostly the result of a motor vehicle accident in adults. However, for elderly and infants, falls are the most common cause of concussions. In case of teenagers, sports accidents are the leading cause of concussion.
FAQs about Concussion Treatment in Toronto • Is medical attention after a concussion necessary? o While you should never leave a head injury to chance, there are certain symptoms that make it crucial that you go see a doctor as soon as possible.
• What determines the outcome of a concussion? o The answer to that isn’t so simple because each concussion is different as is the person experiencing it. The outcome will depend on how you recover from a concussion.
• What is Post-Concussion Syndrome? o Close to 80%–90% of concussions will get resolves within 7-10 days. However, there are cases when the concussion doesn’t go away in such a short time period. If you feel the symptoms of your concussion have stuck around for longer than 3-4 weeks, then go see an expert immediately. Known as the post-concussion syndrome, if allowed to go untreated, the syndrome can be dangerous. You might have a difficult time while trying to work or study. Besides that you would also feel ill at ease and might even experience depression!
All You Need To Know About Concussion Treatment in Toronto •
The treatment for concussion typically starts with a consultation with a specialist. They determine what caused the injury, what the patient felt that instant and how the patient is feeling at the moment. Moreover, the symptoms of concussion are also discussed. The specialist gets as much information they need in order to create the most appropriate treatment plan as per the needs and requirement of the patient. The assessment includes assessing the cognitive changes that may have occurred after the concussion like memory problems or distractibility. After that a psychological assessment is also conducted to determine if there is any co-occurrence of typical conditions that occur after a concussion like irritability, anxiety, or depression. Once the initial assessment has been done, the therapist starts the treatment plan which has been especially designed to cater the symptoms and severity of concussion in the patient.
Types of Concussion – Get the Best Concussion Treatment in Toronto • Grade 1/Mild Concussion o The most common type of concussion, this can result in the following symptoms: • Headaches • Nausea • Disturbed balance o These typically don’t last longer than 15-30 min. A general feeling of confusion in the injured person is characteristic of this type of concussion.
• Grade 2/Moderate Concussion o Moderate concussions are more serious. They can last for up to 24 hours and are more likely to cause memory loss. They are also more painful to bear and bring discomfort to the injured person. Symptoms of a mild concussion include: • Blurred vision • Nausea • Dizziness
Types of Concussion – Get the Best Concussion Treatment in Toronto • Grade 3/Severe Concussion o The serious concussion with as serious symptoms and side effects necessitates the need of immediate medical attention. These are accompanied by loss of consciousness typically. You might be unconscious for several minutes or more, depending on the severity of the impact. The symptoms of a grade 3 concussion include: • Memory loss • Inability to concentrate • Vision impairment for long periods of time • Constant headaches
2 Speech Issues in your Child that Require the Help of a Speech Therapist in Toronto
• Speech Intelligibility and Articulation
o Speech intelligibility is concerned with how well your children can make themselves understood. Articulation, on the other hand, is related to the ability to move the articulator body parts. These include tongue, jaw, lips, and palate physically. If due to some reason, your kid isn’t articulate, this will also decrease their speech intelligibility. They could be less successful in making other people understand what they are saying as compared to other children of the same age. A speech therapist will work with your child in increasing their speech intelligibility. They achieve that by teaching your kid how to form the sound patterns or speech sounds that they find difficult to make.
• Speech Fluency and Stuttering o Speech fluency is affected by breaks in the flow of speech. These breaks are a part of our speech, and cause disfluency. However, when one experiences this disfluency too frequently, that is when this becomes known as stuttering. Most cases of stuttering appear when the individual is a child. As expected, if your child stutters, they could have difficulty in communicating with other people.
Speech Disorders: How Speech Therapist in Toronto Can Help? •
If the speech disorder is mild then it might not even require any treatment as they tend to do away gradually or don’t affect the speech much. If the disorder is moderate or severe then speech therapy can assist in improving the problem. The speech therapist will do an initial consultation with the patient to determine the exact condition and severity of the disorder. Then he/she would create a treatment plan according to your condition. Mostly, the speech therapy would include exercises that can make the muscles in your throat and face stronger. Moreover, the speech therapist will also teach you the right way of controlling your breathing as you speak. Controlled breathing and strengthening exercises help improve the way words sound. With the help of the therapist, you would be able to practice fluent and smoother speech. Moreover, many individuals who have speech disorders may experience depression, embarrassment, and/or nervousness. The speech therapist ensures that the individual learns to tackle these negative feelings in the right manner. He/she will explain different ways of coping with the disorder and how to enhance your positive attitude and feelings to battle the disorder more effectively.
Things to Consider Before Choosing A Speech Therapist in Toronto for Your Child
• Is the Speech Therapist Child Friendly?
o While it may sound simple, you cannot take this for granted. To help a child, you need a speech therapist that the child feels comfortable with, otherwise they are not going to learn. Therefore, before you choose a speech therapist, it is important to watch them interact with your child. Do you see them on the floor with your child? Are they looking for the areas that interest your child? Does the child seem comfortable and seem like they are having fun with the speech therapist? Is your child interacting with the speech therapist? Find answers to these questions before you choose a speech therapist for your child.
• Is the Speech Therapist Knowledgeable and Experienced? o They should know what treatment will work best for your child and it should be based on research, not just their personal perception. They should know what they are talking about and should have experience of working with the cases like your child's. Ask them about the years of experience, the recommended treatment options, and also ask them if you can talk to some of their previous clients to know how they work.
• Do They Consider Parents to be an Intervention Partner?
o When you are dealing with a good therapist, they would understand that the time they spend with your child is limited. The major portion of time a child spends is with their parents and thus, parents need to play a major role in uplifting the child. A good speech therapist should involve parents in the process as well. In addition, they should respect the parents and include them in the decision making processes. After all, it is your child and you should be the one making important decisions based on the knowledge and experience of the therapist.
How to Tell If Your Child Needs a Speech Therapist in Toronto and What They Can Do for Your Kid Some kind of diagnosis could be affecting your child’s ability to communicate, such as autism, developmental delay, or hearing loss etc. Your child has a hard time making other people understand what they are saying Reading and/or writing is difficult for your kid Your child has a way of speaking that is more akin to kids younger than they are Your kid isn’t able to play with other kids well because of unusual interaction Your child doesn’t have the vocabulary they should as compared to other kids of their age The way they talk frustrates your child Your kid stutters
Common Reasons for Speech Impairment – See the Best Speech Therapist in Toronto!
• Autism Spectrum Disorder
o A child with Autism Spectrum Discorder has difficulty analyzing and processing information. That’s why, it is difficult for them to interpret the social cues correctly. They also have difficulty in selecting the right words to express what they actually mean and might be misunderstood as a result. When they can’t control their voice quality, it can come off as mechanical.
• Cerebral Palsy
o Due to cerebral palsy, children can experience dysarthria. Their condition makes it difficult for them to speak and breathe at the same time since they have difficulty coordinating the muscles for both processes simultaneously. The severe the case of cerebral palsy, the more difficult it would be for the child to talk.
• Fluency Disorders
o As the name suggests, this disorder can make it difficult for a child to control how fast they talk and the rhythm of speech. Other typical symptoms associated with fluency disorders include repetition while talking, grimacing, and head bobbing.
• Specific Language Impairment (SLI)
o Due to SLI, a child’s brain has a much harder time processing information. This can also limit their capacity for understanding language. It is characterized by symptoms, such as porr vocabularly, talking in shorter sentences as compared to other kids their age, and being unable to use the right language in a social situation.
Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders: Here’s What You Need to Know • What is it o Orofacial Myofunctional Disorder [OMD], also called tongue thrust, is a condition where you inadvertently move your tongue forward frequently, rest it on your lips, or stick it out when you eat or talk. It can cause issues while you eat, drink, or speak. The tongue remains inside your mouth when you are not eating or talking.
• How speech language therapist can help o Your speech-language pathologist can help you change the manner in which you use your tongue. They will have you practise closing your mouth when you are not eating or talking. The therapist will help you in speaking, eating, and drinking appropriately. The therapist examines speech sound errors, open-mouth posture, and your inability to swallow. Treatment includes improving muscle strength, speech production, and chewing patterns. It also involves increasing awareness about facial muscles and mouth postures.
The End For more details, please visit: https://therapyspot.ca/autism-esdm-ibi/
1. Be on the Journey to Wellness after Concussion with These Tips 2. How Concussion is Treated 3. Choosing the Right Clinic for Concussion T...
Published on May 17, 2018
1. Be on the Journey to Wellness after Concussion with These Tips 2. How Concussion is Treated 3. Choosing the Right Clinic for Concussion T...