Bolt & Quarrel Newsletter/Magazine

Page 1

Volume 1 Issue 2








PAGE 9 - 16 ONCE IN A LIFETIME ..... Vacation Time, Fishing, Elk Hunt ... Ends?

PAGE 3 - 6 Whats the Haps? ............. Things going on in and around Bolt & Quarrel PAGE 23 - 26 Whats the Story? ............ Things happening in you neck of the woods PAGE 19 - 20 YOU”RE BUSTED! ....... STUPID THINGS PEOPLE DO PAGE 21 - 22 Did You Know


Camille's Kitchen Get out in the kitchen and rattle those pots and pans!

Sure As Shootin! Front Porch Chatter With Bolton Q. Grumperson

page 1

HELLO ane WELCOME to another edition of the B&Q Newsletter. If you would like to contribute with information, stories, stories of the hunt, tall tales, suggestions, pictures, recipes, news, articles, videos, fishing, hiking, any outdoor/indoor happenings going on around your state, Conservation related, Education related, Safety related or anything that you may think would/should go into this newsletter/magazine. Please submit a media release form, found on Bolt-Quarrel. org along with your submission. We do have the right to reject any content submitted. We do have the right to edit content of submission to correct spelling, grammer, and layout, or whatever we see that maybe deemed inappropiate. We do have the right to hold on to, keep any and all submissions. All submissions become property of Bolt & Quarrel and can be used in other Bolt & Quarrel media, forms, and information. Please keep all materials submitted Clean and Appropriate, We do have Children that read this publication. All submissions can be emailed to

Have a great day and Enjoy the Outdoors! Thank You Jim Baldwin Editor



There have been a few twists and turns along the road for B&Q this month. Seems that some of the things planned have got caught up in some red tape. Nothing the boys here couldn’t handle. Seems they got it all worked out after a couple of weeks. Now i’m not allowed to say what actually took place, but lets just say that next month another conservation program will be underway. The idea will be planted and the roots of the project will grow over time. Jim Baldwin will be branching out to reach this goal. Paul Burnside has done quite a bit over the month of March. He didn’t waste his time with the March Madness nonsense. Nope, he’s been hard at work reshaping the landscape. Seems Paul has gotten into some apple and cherrie tree planting along with some brush removal. He got into some landscaping to redirect some water around to make an area drain better. Leaving a nice area for birds, squirrels, and occasional wild turkey to strut through. Hear tell his next project may be moving a bunch more dirt and clearing out a bigger area of brush. Planting more things for the wildlife to snack on. Like he says”It’s not always all about big game. Little game has to eat too”



B&Q on the MOVE

Todd Kennedy has been involved in some of the judgeing and competition going on with the youth. Todd has also been keeping track of all the numbers that have been coming in. Seems B&Q is slowly growing at a steady pace and things are looking good. “Slow is good as things don’t get to overwhelming” so Todd reminds us. I definantly agree with Todd on that. Dave Sammonds has been involved in the youth projects. Dave has done a few tourn for lack of better words. The kids have ha play some games. Learning how to get alo others to accomplish certain goals. Dave i for the next time things get served up. Dav and talking with people trying to get the w people can make.


On l l o R

l! i r p nto A


page 3

March has arrived, in like a lion out like a lamb. I’m not sure thats what has happened. Weather wise it didn’nt seem as bad as other Marches that I remember. B&Q surely didn’t see In like a lion. It was a smooth transition from Feburary into March. It seems more like in like a lamb. A slow constant growth has continued since B&Q has opened it’s doors going on 3 months now. Maybe since spring is around the corner and Mother Nature begins to wake up. New blooms and buds on the trees and flowers. Wildlife stirring since the cold blanket of winter is being lifted. Fresh spring breeze just around the corner. Things may pick up at the B&Q headquarters. Well as the month of March goes by and things change, sometimes daily. Bolt & Quarrel Club would lilke to have an I.T. person on staff. If you can build and maintain our website, and don’t mind picking up some other duties, wearing many different hats as they call it here. Have an interest in joining the guys in keeping things going, Let them know by emailing your contact info and skills, maybe a few examples of things you have done. Paul Burnside. To PBurnside@ Jim Baldwin An exciting bit JBaldwin@ of news for B&Q, a few more people have become full fledge members of the club. B&Q would like to say Thank You for becoming a Full Fledge Members of The Bolt & Quarrel Club. Welcome Aboard and Here’s to Many More Years to Come! Cheers!

e naments ad a chance to ong and work with is kicking around a few ideas ave has also been doing a little promotion word out about certain benefits and choices

More exciting news for B&Q there has been more Official Scorers signing up to help add more entries into the records books. B&Q would like to Thank You All. Welcome Aboard and here’s to many years together. Bring on the Records!

page 4

March has fizzled into April, really not going out like a lamb. April on the other hand has been mellow so far. Not near as much rain as one would think, however there is some snow being predicted. Ugh I’m so tired of the white stuff. Well the guys at B&Q have been doing a few interesting things Lets see what they have been up to.


It seems that the guys have taken sometime to breath for a few days. Jim has had some personal things to take care of. Along with being really busy at his job. Seems over the past couple of month his business has really picked up. What started out as a 4-6 week contract has become more of a long term contract. But no worries B&Qers, he’s still got a handle on the newsletter/magazine. He is also picking up another loose end by taxing his brain trying to learn the website program. So far he says it’s a bit frustrating trying to get it together enough to even know where to start. I know Jim well enough I think he can handle this. Many many moons ago he had gone to school for this kind of stuff. He’s got to clear all the cobwebs away and start using that part of his brain again. Jim also hopes he can get a few days in turkey hunting. Turkey is in season in Ohio.

The family here a B&Q would li to WELCOM the newe addition staff. S on to Finan these From

Mr. Paul Burnside has been building some raised beds for veggies, fruits and flowers to beautify the B&Q Headquarters. He’s got a real green thumb when it comes to gardening. He’s also going to be tilling up and planting some veggies and grasses down at the B&Q Hunting Headquarters. Where the idea of B&Q got started around the campfire. Between you and me, I don’t think he really is going down to do much planting. I think ol Paul is going to get that half day turkey hunt in first. If so, it’s cool as long he shares a taste of that big tom turkey. I kind of half suspect that Paul and Jim will sneak down there a few times to roost a bird or two. I know these 2 guys, they will probably get some scouting done just to keep track of the deer movement. When it comes to being down at the camp, it’s hard telling what these guys are up to. page 5

Theres a new batch of T-Shirts that just arrived. They haven’t made it to the online store as of yet. I’m not sure that they will either. I heard this batch of shirts is going to be for some of the shows the boys are planning to attend. Lets hope that can happen. Todd Kennedy has been out fishing a few times this month. He’s been showing off pics of his big crappie that he’s been catching. Todd has caught some nice ones. I wished I lived closer so I could get a taste of those monsters. Todd has also caught the boys up on the status of a raffle he’s putting together. I’m not sure when tickets will go on sale or any fine detail yet. I’ll have to snoop around and get the scoop on it. Todd and his wife have also beenout about doing some work with some youth sports clubs. It’s been something they have enjoyed doing with the area youth for a few years. Long before Todd became involved with B&Q. I think this guy here could use a breather with all he does. Sometimes I’m wore out just hearing about all the stuff he gets done



at MAYBE ike ME est n to the She has signed be the Director of nce. I sure hope she can put up with e boys shenanigans and Tom Foolery. m all of us at B&Q


Dave Samonds has got a secret. I found out about it the other day. Yes, you guessed it. I’m going to let the cat out of the bag. Dave is going to take a bit of time to breath. Dave got himself a brand new crossbow. It will shoot 390 feet per second. He thinks he can be a real sniper with it. Heard tell Dave has got the crossbow tuned up, turn up, and sighted in. I can bet a dollar to a doughnut that Dave, Todd, Paul, and Jim are going to be hog huntin down in Carolina real soon. Warning to all you North Carolina hunters . TAKE COVER!!!! maybe wise to stay home when these boys get out in the woods.... lol

Well that wraps this issue up. To find out more your going to have to wait until May/June issue. Send some things and share with us. Let us know what going on around your state. Help keep us informed. Let us know what ideas you may have that could help us out with the day to day going ons around here. Or if you may want to become a volunteer and help with things. Let us know! Until next time ... GET OUT AND ENJOY THE OUTDOORS! page 6

Huntin Tales

This is a place to share a story from some of the experiences you have had in your life. Keep it clean. We do have youngsters that read these stories. It can be a tall tale or a real-life matter of fact. No judging here. If you send in a story, we will try not to edit anything. Only if the need be. WE DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REJECT A STORY!

What Was That? I Haven’t A Clue!

Submitted by Walt FrazkeI

I have been running around in the woods since I was about 8 years old. I’m in my 70s now. I was 64 at the time this happened. My neighbor, Ken, and I were letting his 3 beagles run, letting them have a good romp. Kicking up all the rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, and chasing just about everything they came across. It was a beautiful October morning. Nothing else to do, so we decided to walk out to the swamp. The swamp is a great place to see all sorts of wildlife. I don’t walk out that far to much. I let the animals have there sanctuary, a place where they think it’s safe. It’s always peaceful with birds chirping, frogs croaking, geese sqawking, even a muskrat family swimming and splashing around. But today was different, there was nothing going on. There was a feeling of heaviness in the air. Everything was quiet. Something wasn’t right. The dogs were quiet and had bunched together. They were hesitent to go any further, and whining a bit. Ken and I didn’t think to much about it and continued down the old logging road to the swamp. Just about the time we came to the opening we noticed something at the edge near the water. It was a yearling deer, fresh kill. Something or somethings had attacked it,. What ever it was had carried some of the deer away. I looked around and didn’t see anything. Ken thought it was strange how things didn’t seem normal. We didn’t see any tracks or really anything to give us a clue of what would have done this. We turned and headed back towards the house. As we were walking the dogs stayed glued to our side. They seemed nervous, uneasy about something. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a dark flash. Ken stopped and looked around, asking me if I had heard that. I said no but I saw movement. We walked a few more yards and then I heard a growl. Ken heard it also, He said, thats what I heard before. We picked up the pace and the dogs were right there with us. Soon there was more movement and a few more growls. I asked, What was that? Ken said I haven’t a clue. I said bear? Ken said I don’t think so, there is more than one. As we hurried along as fast as we could, it or they were getting closer. It seemed as if we were being surrounded. Not far from the end of trail leading back to the house and the yard. I caught a glimpse of what seemed to be chasing us down. I said something to Ken, he said he still didn’t have a clue, wasn’t sure. When we hit the opening of the yard and was in sight of the house. The dogs ran to the back porch. Ken and I slowed, about the middle of the yard we turned to watch. To see what was chasing us down. At the edge of the woods, in the tree line we could make out the silouhets of what they were. A pack of wolves had enlarged their territory. We looked at each other and was happy that we or dogs weren’t attacked. Ken looked at me and said they wouldn’t have eaten you. Your to tough to chew! With a chuckle we went to the house. After a few months, it wasn’t long before the wolf population was back in check. page 7

2 liter bottle hunting

Huntin Tales

Submitted by Ripley

Hi, I’m Ripleiy, not my real name cause I was told not to use it, just incase. I am 10 years old. I would like to tell you about my hunting story with my dad. My dad and I are best friends, he takes me fishing, hunting, hiking and even out to play ball or ride bikes. I love being outside, even in not so good weather. A little rain is ok but not a down pour or a storm. Snow is great until it’s to deep or gets to cold. Dad asked me about going hunting with him on Saturday. I said or kinda of yelled with excitement. Really I can really go on a hunt with you? He said yes but I would have to remember everything about handling a gun. I promised I would. I ran and told mom and she was excited and happy for me. I have a 22 that dad got me for my 9th birthday it’s a single shot. I have to slide the lever and break it open after every shot to load it again. At dinner I asked what are we going hunting for. He looked at me and very serious he said we are going over to Uncle Darrins house. His woods have been infested with 2li’s. I asked what a 2li’s was cause i never heard of such a thing. Dad said just to wait and see. I couldn’t wait it was time to finally go hunting. Friday went so slow I thought it would never end. At dinner I asked again whats a tooly or whatever? Dad said it’s a 2li and when you hit them good they explode. My eyes got really big and I asked if we were going to get splattered with guts n stuff. Dad laughed and said maybe. I asked what I should wear and if I need camo on. Dad shook his head and said no need for camo. Just old jeans and old shirt because if something get ripped from walking through brush or we get splattered by guts the camo wouldn’t get ruined. That night I barely slept a wink. I was way to excited and scared cause I didn’t know what a tooly or whatever it is was. I finally fell asleep and when I woke up it was late. I jumped out of bed and ran down the hallway. I found dad and asked if it’s to late to go hunting and i’m sorry about sleeping so late. I explained I was so excited I couldn’t sleep. He laughed and knelt down and put his arm around me and said go eat and get ready. I went running through the house back to my room and got dressed. Ran back to the table and ate my ceral. By then dad had everything in the truck. Ran out the door and hopped up in the truck and buckled in. Dad looked at me and asked if I forgot something. I didn’t think so, oh yeah my hat. I ran back into my room got my hat and back out the door slamming behind me. Dad gave me a cross look and I said yeah I know I should shut the door and not slam the door. Buckled up and to Uncle Darrin’s house we go. When we get there, dad go over some saftey things for a reminder. He said that I walk in front and don’t turn around with the gun facing them and to keep the gun held this way. Kind of laying across my folded arms. Walking through the woods dad stops me and says theres one now, it’s bright yellow see it? I saw a 2 liter bottle with some bright yellow in it. I looked at dad like what the heck. He says 2li’s get it? I said yes a little dissapointed. I shot at it and hit it my 4th shot. It blew up and made a huge bang, yellow powder going everywhere. I was laughing and snorting. Dad took the gun from me I was laughing so hard. I never expected that. Uncle Darrin was cracking up and Dad had huge smile. I shot alot that day and learned alot about my gun. Even though it wasn’t really hunting I had a blast. Dad and I hunt 2li’s alot. It’s always a fun time. I hope you like my story. Maybe hunting 2li’s is something you can enjoy with a kid. Even Uncle Darrin joins in sometimes. Editors Note - I had to figure out what a 2li actually was. It’s a 2 liter soda pop bottle filled with powder, colored chalked ground into powder, and sometimes a liquid. The cap had a tire valve caulked in a hole through the cap. The bottle is pumped full of air and when shot the bottle explodes. Heres’s a link to a video that kind of helps explain ... or this ...

page 8




It’s vacation time and I get to take the whole two weeks to go up in the mountains to fish and hunt. I had set up this vacation a year back. I called a guide service made all the arangements and had everything set up to go. I sent my crossbow ahead as not to cause any problems at the border. Had my passport and licenses in order. I was all set, in the morning I would be on my way. I had 2 weeks, plan was to drive up to Squamish, British Columbia. Taking my time, stopping along the way to do some fishing here and there. Meeting up with the guide and then off on an elk hunt. Morning came I was already to go, things all packed up and in the truck the night before. First stop was Coffee Creek California. Fishing in the Trinity River, Trinity Lake, and Coffee Creek was always a good time. This place is stunningly beautiful. Fishing north of Trinity lake is great. There is really no one else to bother you. Head up Coffee Creek where the road starts to follow the creek. There are some places you can see from the road which are some little honey holes. Lite 2wt and a little hike, you will be surprised. I had an Uncle Brownie that lived up there. He ran a camp ground and would take people out to pan for gold. I loved the area since I was kid. I was going to spend a couple of days here roaming around and wetting a line. It payed off, I had some fresh trout, sliced potato, and salad for dinner. Towards the end of the second day I packed it in and headed north. My next stop was the Rogue River. Valley of the Rogue State Park, near Medford Oregon. I got out to look around and walk about. The Rogue River is a place that famous novelist Zane Grey, who was an avid fisherman, enjoyed spending time. I had a chance some years ago to spend some time in Lackawaxen Pennsylvania. At the confluence of the Delaware and Lackawaxen rivers is the Zane Grey Museum, interesting if you ever get out that way. The Valley of the Rogue is a beautiful state park. Nice camping area, plenty of fishing spots, boat ramp, and the hiking trails are marked and maintained well, it’s a very nice place to see but I didn’t do any fishing. I camped for the night and enjoyed a great dinner of steak and potato. In the morning eggs, bacon, toast with coffee was on the menu. Cooking over a fire is one of the best things I love doing. Then it was back in the truck and northbound again. I decided to skip my next stop. page 9

I wanted to get up to the Squamish River and spend more time fishing there. About 10 hours later I was looking at the mouth of Suamish River. I fished and drove and hiked and fished more. Most times I was stunned by the beauty of the mountains and scenery. I had a great few days kicking around and splashing in the cold clear water. But it was time, I get to meet with the guide service tomorrow. Dinner was fresh rainbow trout done with butter and asparagus the first night. Second night was the same except for salad instead of asparagus. All 3 nights were full of stars, sitting by the fire, I couldn’t be more relaxed. Best outdoors adventure ever so far. Really psyched for the hunt.

I wake up very early around 5am. I have a few hours before I meet with guide. So I decide to make a few more casts and watch the sun rise. It was a beautiful morning, watching the fish rise and feed on bugs or whatever on the surface. The sun coming up over the mountains, oranges, reds, some yellows and purples, it was unbelieveablely gorgous. I sat on some old trees laying in the sandbars or rock bars in the shallows just amazed. Finally I worked my way back to the truck, packed up and headed into Squamish. I was meeting the guide at a place called the White Spot for breakfast. It was very easy to find, right off the Sea to Sky Highway on Hunters Place. I had to chuckle at that, it was easy to remember. We sat down had a good hardy breakfast. The guide I met was named Steve and he brought along his right hand man Donny Boy. They told me to eat good now cause the chow in camp wasn’t nearly as good. We talked over a few things and kind of got to know one another. I left out of there with a very good feeling. I had the address of the main lodging in case I got lost along the way. We headed out, me following along. I was jamming on some Dead South, Devil makes 3, Poor Mans Poison, Colter Walls, had it cranked up. I was fired up. After a bit of a drive we pulled in the lodge (main camp). Tomorrow morning bright and very early we will be out on the old logging roads and trails to the remote camp. Today we meet the other 2 hunters and guides. sight in the crossbow, a safety lesson on how to ride a 4 wheeler, everyone had some experience, go over the plans and layout the maps. Tonight a good diner of grass feed beef, big porterhouse grilled to perfection, grilled mushroom and onions, baked potato, salad, homemade bread, and wild berry pie. The lodgeing is nice and rustic, quaint with a few small cabins for the hunters. The evening ended out around the fire. Swapping stories, asking questions, and just hanging out. I liked it, I felt as if i knew these people all my life. I said my good nights and turned in around 8pm, took one last look at the checklist they gave me, made sure it was all ready to be packed out at 6am, and off to sleep I went. It was 4:30 in the morning when the alarms went off and the wake up call came in, then a knock on the cabin door just to make sure, Donny Boy was there to greet me with a good morning and letting me know breakfast in half hour, and to put my gear on the porch of the cabin. page 10

ONCE IN A LIFETIME He would pick it up and pack while I was at breakfast. OHHHhhhh what a breakfast it was. Again I was reminded to eat good cause lunch wouldn’t be till we get to the remote camp. There were a stack of pancakes a mile high and fluffy, real maple syrup, eggs however you wanted them, bacon, ham, sausage, hashbrowns, homefries, fruit, orange juice, apple juice,outrageous spread, and some great coffee. I had to ask if this was the last good food we’d eat for the next 4 days. I thanked them and the cook for such wonderful meals. Then off we went, it was time. Everyone was on a 4 wheeler and we were told it was not a hard ride, a couple of creeks and a few hills, mostly logging roads to get to the remote camp. It was dark, Steve led the way, Frank and Aiden the other hunters guides were mixed in the middle and Donny Boy brought up the rear. Out the driveway and down the road to the logging roads. As the sun came up we crested a ridge with an opening, it was time to take a coffee break and enjoy the scenery for about 20 minutes. Shake off the chill and stretch the legs. Another beautiful sunrise over the mountains. I was to excited to really appreciate my surroundings. I slugged back my coffee and was ready to go. I just couldn’t wait to see what was coming next. We all fell back in line and down the logging road we went. Much easier to see now the sun has come up. We headed down this trail that wound us down into a big ravine and followed it along the bottom. We came to what I thought maybe the first creek crossing, but it was just a trickle. Back up we go to another ridge and another logging road. which overlooked down into this big valley with a crystal blue lake. I couldn’t believe how majestic everything was. Almost no way to put words to it. Lush green grasses, some hard timbers and pines around the tree line. Big blue sky with some puffy white clouds that reflected off the lake. I was awestruck. We rode round the ridgeline to the far side of the valley then dropped down on a trail that traversed down to the first creek crossing. The creek was about 30 yards wide then a rocky sand bar about 20 feet wide and another 20 yards across the water to the bank. It wasn’t deep at all maybe 10 inches at the most. Through the woods and down another trail to the same creek that had made a turn or two. Still nothing really deep but the water was flowing faster. It was a narrow crossing with a rocky bottom, there was a nice pool about 40 yards down. I thought I’d fish that if i had my rod and some tackle, it shimmered in the sunlight. Back up through the woods and another mile or so and there it was, the remote camp. It was a bunkhouse style set back up almost against the wall of the hill, with an out house and a fire pit, and a shed. We all took a quick tour of the place, There was a bunker built into the side of the hill with a big thick heavy door made of oak and metal, it was all buried back in and the door was surrounded by rocks. Inside was cement blocks sandwitched between 4x4’s. Meaning that it was a block wall with a 4x4 inside and 4x4 on the otherside in the dirt and rocks and long lag bolts going through them to hold them steady, and cement mixed and poured into the blocks to make it all a solid wall. It was used for storing foods and hanging meat. The bunkhouse was pretty plain. several bunks to sleep in and a kitchen. Running water came from a 1500 gallon holding tank and yes there was a hot water heater. Showeres were outside. Donny Boy got things squared away. We grabbed our stuff and found a bunk. First thing was to make sure everything made it ok. After getting settled, some of us went and collected wood for the fire. There was a bunch there already cut and stacked, but we wanted to see what was out and around. Steve and Donny Boy got lunch going, it was venison burgers with some sliced fried potatos. It was very good, I joked about how they said that the remote camp cooking wasn’t as good as the lodge camp, but it was better than good. Lunch was very good and after clean up we brought out the maps and oriented ourselves to our location, went over the locators we all were wearing, page 11

ONCE IN A LIFETIME made sure all gear, food and everything was stowed away properly so no animals would get into it like the big furry kind that can eat you. We were finally able to go out and glass, spot and walk. Each guide and hunter had their own section of the surrounding area. All sections had ridges and ravines with woods and treelines overlooking the valley to the lake. Steve and I took off to the top of the ridge and walked it back around to almost the creek. We made our way down to the edge of the tree line and sat in a cross section of downed trees. He took out the elk call and his binoculars and started searching. I had my binoculars out and was scanning the valley floor. I could see the the remote camp from here. I could see across the valley to the far side and there were 2 little guys standing on the top of their ridge. It was a long way off as I watched them disappear into the trees. I wondered how the other two were doing. I asked Steve where the others were, he said they had the high line around the back of the camp and over top to the set of ravines and ridges there. That, where everyone was positioned was where the most action on the cameras were. We sat for awhile then moved up and over bringing us up close to the creek. After about an hour or so there was movement down the tree line about 500 yards. Steve bugled and got a response, and another from up in the tree line further. 2 bull elk and me in the same area. I was grinning from ear to ear. Steve smiled and chuckled with a hand motion of cool your jets he said “settle down youngster” I relaxed and watched I could see the movements through the trees with my binoculars. It was time to go back, have dinner, and make our plans for tomorrow. Back at camp we were all giddy school boys. Everyone saw something, and couldn’t wait till morning. Dinner was great for cooking over an open fire. Pan fried fish with mixed veggies and topped it off with a good cup of coffee. I can’t believe how everything has been turning out so far. Sitting by the fire that evening was nice. Chilly and clear skies, but that changed overnight, waking to a foggy mist that was thick and a black inky dark morning. After a quick breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, and hash browns we took off to our hunting spots. I was ready for the hunt. Steve and I waited in the down trees spot we sat at yesterday. It was hard to see anything. Steve let out a bugle call and waited. There was nothing, no response, I was chomping at the bit in anticipation. Steve whispers it’s still early yet, maybe they are on the other side. As it starts to get light out, we can see Elk down by the lake. The fog had begin to slowly lift and daylight crept in. We can hear a bugle a few hundred yards away. The bull was coming down out the timber. I was glassing trying to catch a glimpse to see how big it was. Steve bugles again, to our surprise back behind us, what seemed maybe 100 yards was a response from another bull. This bull was a little more vocal, he now has called back several times. The group down by the lake had started making their way up to the tree line. It was to cool, I was way cranked to see all this action. Then it happened and my mind was blown. There was a third bull coming in from the bottom along the tree line, from the direction of the camp. It was a big symetrical 8 point. He let out a big long low to high pitch bugle. My jaw dropped at the sight of this beautiful bull elk. He was the one I wanted. Steve looked at me and with a big smile whisipered “yeah that one” nodding his head in approval. We waited for a bit watching to figure out what was going to happen. page 12


There was 3 bulls converging on this group from the lake. When the 3 bulls started to bugle they were now headed for eatch other. Watching through our binoculars, we saw the first bull come up out of the valley from the high grass. The second bull was making his way down the mountain. The third bull, the big 8 was following the tree line. He’s the one I was watching the most. I could catch sight of all three bulls and the group coming up from the lake. I didn’t know where to look first. I was going from one to the other. I lost sight of the big 8, I couldn’t find him anywhere and he had stopped making any bugle. I got nervous and was starting to stress. I didn’t want him to get away. Steve looked at me and with a hand motion and finger to his lips, he was telling me to calm down relax and stay quite. I took a few deep breaths and got it under control. Steve then pointed over to the bull that was coming down off the mountain. It was making his way through the woods about 100 yards away. Stopping and sniffing the wind he trotted down and away, dropping over the crest of small ridge leading off to the creek, My thougt was he was trying to head off the bull coming from across the valley. There was still no sign of the big 8 which I marked as mine. It was past 2pm already, I couldn’t believe where the time went. I was so engrossed with what was going on with the elk, I wasn’t paying attention to what was going on around me, I wasn’t aware of my actual surroundings, or situation. This could have been a very big mistake. What if a big grizzly would have come up on us, or a cougar. We could have been lunch. Thank goodness it wasn’t Steves first rodeo. He had been keeping an eye on everything. We had gotten word over the walkie talkie that there was a bull shot. Aiden the guide, and Ron the hunter had one down. Donny Boy answered with a “where abouts” and I’ll be right there. Steve and I decided to head back to camp taking a longer route there. We headed up towards the top in what looked to me like a ravine that had been cleared by logging equipment and replanted. We hit the top and walked along stopping to glass the area on both sides of the mountain. Steve radio’d our location to Aiden to see if they needed help. Aiden said “ I think we got it handled” Then asked if we had seen any bear. “negative” Steve radio’d back. So over a ridge and down the top of it heading back towards the valley. As we got about half way down to the valley, we stop to glass the ravines. Thats when Steve pointed out the big 8 I was wanting. Thats all I needed to see. I was hoping that I would get a chance at him. Maybe tomorrow will be the day. When we got back to camp it was dusk, we started a fire and got dinner ready. It was going to be a great meal. One fit for camping. It was Hot Dogs and Baked Beans. We were waiting for the others to get back before we ate. It was something quick and easy. This way the elk that was being brought in could be tended to and ready to be packed out when page 13

ONCE IN A LIFETIME time came. As we waited near the fire, the other hunter and I went over our day and what we had seen. They had seen a group of elk but no big bulls. I didn’t say anyting about the big 8. Wasn’t long before we heard the four wheelers coming. I wondered how this worked out. When they pulled into camp, we went over to help with anything we could help with. I looked over the set up. Donny Boy explained he had hooked a tow bar to one of the other 4 wheelers. Then there was a big wagon hooked to that 4 wheeler. the wagon was a bit wider and about 7 feet long. Elk is dressed and quartered in the field, wrapped and on the trailer. The hide is layed out and rolled up, the head is then layed snout down and antlers pointing towards the back. This keeps anything from catching on them. Everything was hung up in the bunker room in the side of the hill. Wagon was cleaned up, gear stowed and 4 wheelers put away. Around the fire we roasted the hot dogs, stirred the beans, laughing and haveing a good time. When we sat down to eat, we toasted the success of the hunt, Ron the hunter, and the guide Aiden. Then we got to hear how the hunt went down, each man putting there words together to make the story. It was good, I listened intently. We cheered the shot and the crash of the bull elk. We toasted once again. It was a very good day, and with that we cleaned up and headed off to the bunks. In the morning while eating breakfast. Aiden and Ron had decided to go out to the far side of where they were hunting. There is an old logging camp that they were going to head to. They would spend the night there and come back by dinner time. They were going to hunt for wolves and blacktail deer since Ron had the permits. I just had my elk tag, I wasn’t worried about hunting anything else. I had one goal in mind. So off they went on the 4 wheelers. Steve and I hiked up and back around where we last saw the big 8. Sunrise, and glassing and didn’t see anything, no movement, no nothing. We hiked up and around to the creek and followed it up towards the valley. We could see the group of elk milling around in the high grass along the tree line, back toward the way we came. We hiked back down the creek and up over them to a spot where the group was about 50 yards away. Lots of cover here to sit and be ready. I felt really good about today. I was amped, hyped, and nervous. I was so antsy Steve joked about me haveing to much coffee and several energy drinks. Coffee maybe, energy drinks no, I can’t stand them, they taste horrible. Steve lets out a couple of bugles to start. We can hear a couple of bulls, one from the creek side and one from the valley side. After some time Steve lets out another. The bulls are getting closer. Then we hear something up behind us. Turning to look, my eyes got as big as dinner plates, I nudged Steve. There he was, the big 8 I wanted. About that time the bull from the creek side had made it over towards us. Both bulls were bugleing and carrying on. It was amazing what happend next. Steve signaled to be ready, to lean the crossbow on the trees around us for stablity. I watched for what seemed like an hour, but was just a minute or 2. The big 8 and this creekside bull page 14


Bugleing, posturing, charging each other, sparring, that went on for about 25 minutes. Breathing heavy, snorting, and heads down these two went at it again. Rattling and banging of antlers, pushing each other. It was like two UFC Heavyweights fighting for the Championship title. What a match it was, I can’t describe it in enough words, Simply awsome! They back off from each other. Each taking a break I guessed. The big 8 looked gassed, he didn’t have much left in the tank it was empty. He was an older bull past his prime by a couple of years. He bugled loud and wheeled around, They locked antnlers again, shoving, pushing each other around each holding their own. The proud big 8 wasn’t going down easy. He sucked it up for a big push, but he just didn’t have enough to move this younger bull. The big 8 was huffing, tongue out panting he backed off and turned away. The once proud king of the valley was dethroned. I felt sorry for the loss he took. The younger bull pushed him out. Defeated and ran off the big 8 made his way right up beside us. I waited for my shot, wondering if i should take it. The majestic beauty of these beasts is overwhelming. What we just witnessed was indescribable. That evening at camp Richard, the other hunter and Frank the guide were all happy. They had been successful in their hunt, bringing down a nice 6 point. It was a big healthy bull. I helped with everything I could. About the time we were starting dinner. Aiden and Ron were back, cutting their trip short. Seems Ron dropped a big Blacktail not long after they got to the old logging cabin. And to ice the cake he dropped a wolf on the way back to the remote cabin. It was near were they got the elk the day before. As the celebration went on. Steve and I were kind of quite sitting by the fire. That night was the last night at the remote camp, we would be heading back to the lodge camp fairly early in the morning. Breakfast came, it was pancakes, eggs, sausage, and toast, with coffee and juice. We packed things up making sure everything was stowed and secure. Loaded the wagons with elk, deer, and a wolf. Fired up the 4 wheelers and off we went. Up over the ridges across the creeks, winding up and around to the logging road, stopping at the clearing for one last good look of what was an amazing couple days. After arriving back at the lodge camp we parked the 4 wheelers by our little cabins and unloaded our gear. Donny Boy collected the 4 wheelers and put them in the barn. The wagons were unloaded and cleaned. The elk, deer and wolf taken to the proccessing building. We all had one last night before everyone departed for home. At dinner as everybody



gathered around. We were treated to our videos of the hunts. Rons was first it was a typical spot and stalk. Getting in close enough then sneaking through the brush and trees. It was cool and calculated and a great shot, dead on in the vital V. The next up was Richards, Frank and Richard did a bit of both spot and move and then wait. It made for an intense type of hunt. They would move and get into place and the group of elk would move grazing around then the bull would chase. After a couple of moves and closer to the tree line Richard got close. He then postioned himself in the high grass on the edge of the tree line. Cutting off the path of the bull. With a well timed bugle from Frank the bull stopped sniffed and was hit by a quarter away shot. The bull ran about sixty yards and staggered another 10. Crashing into a pile in the high grass. Well last but not least was mine. At the end everyone was quite, kind of shocked I guess to see what unfolded. Everyone looked at Steve and I. They all took their turn remarking, WOW, Unbelievable, Awesome, and when they finally all got done. Everyone shook each others hands and said what an unbelievable trip it had been. We all gathered out by the fire for a last nite of commraderey. Saying goodbyes, keep in touch, it was great to meet you, but most of all to thank such gracious hosts. Thanking the staff for a great job and the Cook for great meals. Morning came I was loading my things in the truck. Donny Boy and Steve came out to help and talk a little. I thanked them for a vacation of a lifetime. Saying I don’t think this can ever be topped. I shook hands one last time and Steve leaned in and said “It was a tough choice, but, I think you made the right one”. With that I climbed in the truck and headed out the driveway waving and honked. It’s a long drive back to Chowhulla. I decided to drive straight through. After all I did have to get this elk in the freezer. The Big 8 was coming home.

page 16



Hey Hey Hey! Looky here who come back to visit. Welcome y’all welcome!. Come up and sit yerself right here on this porch. It’s good to see ya again! I’d offer ya something to drink and a snack. But... you guessed it. still haven’t gotten that part of this webnetter thing worked out. I am getting better with it though. I was able to get this googley voice to work. I keep forgettin that I have to say “Hey Google whats this or whats that”. I start getting frusterated I call it ... Hi Goggles or Eyyy Gooo Gooo and a few other things. After I start calling it a few other things Ma reminds me it’s Hey Google then I’m good. But I’ll tell you what, I kind of like this computer thing, this laptop. I figure in a few months I should be a regular whizbang at it. OK for this issue of the ol B&Q I thought maybe you would like some tips on how to do a few things. I may throw a story or something in., if’n the mood hits me. Lets start with a trail camera tip or 3. At the end of each season I go around and collect all my trail cameras. I don’t have anything fancy. Just the ones that you put on the tree and they snap pictures. But I still use some I bought 25 years ago. My Great Grandaddy had some that the woodpecker would engrave on some shakes of wood. He would tell me that was the best. As long as you kept the woodpeckers happy they’d keep him in pictures. After I get them all collected I lay them outside on the table, with the back opened up. I let them sit for a day. This lets all the little bugs a chance to excape. Then I get me some tools and start taking the back and front cases off. I clean them up with a little soapy water and set them off to dry. I inspect all the electronics and blow them off with some of that canned air. I take a look and make sure there are no loose wires or connections. I do all my repairs if needed on the boards. Once all repairs are done, I will give them a couple of light coats of silicon adhesive spray. You can also coat them with some cheap nail polish from the dollar store. This works pretty good and it’s what I used for years. Becareful not to get the IR lense, LEDs or Camera lense, or every picture will be fogged. Then I clean up the battery case with a litte rubbing alcohol. I clean the battery prongs with a little steel wool and a little more alcohol. Then I hit it with some canned air. I take a little of the dielectric grease and put a very light film on them with a cotton swab. You can also dab the connection at this time. After I have gone through everything, I let it sit and dry for a few hours. Before I reassemble, I check the rubber gasket that seals the outside cases together. If it’s damaged, replace it. I have used silicon caulk, using a light coat around the gasket. Its works in a pinch, I will then put the outside covers together, battery case in close it all up tight and then submerge it underwater. I can see leaks from the air bubbles excaping out of the case. Anyplace where there is an adapter hole I will tape it shut with duct tape. This works good enough to catch every leak. Clean out excess water, Let dry, clean lens covers and reassemble everything. You should be good to go. page 17



Now lets talk about hangin these cameras back in a tree. I like to hang mine up in a tree about 8 to 10 feet pointing down the trails. If i have a feeder or a mineral site, I still hang them 8 to 10 feet up in the tree. I get some of the plastic shims that you use for shimming up a window or door and place these behind the camera. They are easy to adjust and cheap to use. I can screw a few together, then scew to the tree if i really need to have an extreme angle. I don’t like to use the screw in arms to mount my cameras. I think it makes them stick out and easier to spot if someone is out lurching around my property. I also hear it all the time that 8 to 10 feet is to high, you can’t reach it to change cards or batteries. I take a small step ladder, about 4 rungs. If i want to walk to the cameras I take a couple of straps and tie on to the step ladder to carry like a back pack. I sometimes strap it to my 4 wheeler. Always remember to face the cameras down the trail so you can have several pictures seeing the whole animal rather than across the trail where you can only get one picture. How about a quick story? This happened just the other day. Ma (my wife Maddie) and I and Rufus were down by the crick. We walked down to take a look at all the purty things that Mother Nature has brought out being spring and all. It was a beautiful day to take a stroll. The water was clear and cold, it felt good. Daffodils were blooming, trees were budding. It was just a great day. I put some water in the buckets, and the little coffee pot that we brought with us. I was going to start a little fire, brew up some coffee to enjoy as we sat by the crick. Ol Rufus was runnin around in the woods havin a good ol time. i got the pot on to boil and Ma was tossin rocks in the crick. And wouldn’t you know it. Rufus comes flying past us charges through the crick gettin us wet. He runs up the top of the ridge and is barkin his darn fool head off. He was actin all defensive and bluff chargin something. We were callin at him and he wouldn’t listen. Finally he turns tail and runs back towards us. What the heck is this goofy dog up to? About that time, up over the ridge comes a big ol black bear. Ma looked at me and said lets git. I pulled out my hog leg and fired three shots into the creek bank. That big ol bear took off, scared the bajeebers out of it. I dumped the water over the fire, picked up everything and we left. So now here’s the final tip of the day... whether you out for a nice walk, hike, huntin, fishin, or just enjoying the outdoors. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Some strange things can happen when your not paying attention. Remember if something is going to make you lunch, they aren’t going to anounce it. And things that live in and on the ground aren’t going to treat you kindly when you step on or near them.

Well I hope ya’ll liked that. It would be nice to see ya’ll come back round. Bring some friends with ya. I hate to rush off but I got some things to get done round here. And I figger I wasted enough y’uns time. Ya’ll take care and have a good’in… C ya later bye! page 18

Y O U ’R E

B U S T E D !

CRIIMES AGAINST WILDLIFE, ENVIROMENT, AND OTHER STUPID THINGS PEOPLE DO TULSA, Okla. – A New Jersey man was sentenced in federal court to conspiring with others to purchase, transport and sell more than 1,000 box turtles unlawfully collected in Oklahoma, U.S. Attorney Trent Shores said. A Mannford, Oklahoma hotel housekeeper entered a room, after being told for a week not to clean it, and discovered the turtles. She tipped off local law enforcement, and this eventually led to successfully dismantling an international wildlife smuggling operation. Chief U.S. District Judge John E. Dowdell sentenced William T. Gangemi, 27, of Freehold, New Jersey, to two years of probation. The judge also ordered Gangemi to pay $250,000 in restitution to the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation and a $100,000 fine to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. “It’s been an honor for us to work with the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation and the U.S. Attorney’s Office in bringing this case to justice, and for sending a message that crimes against wildlife will not be tolerated,” said U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Regional Director Amy Lueders. “Unfortunately, every day, crimes are committed against wildlife. But whenever a wildlife poacher or trafficker is held accountable for their crimes, it gives us a precedent case that allows us to better protect these resources for generations to come. In addition, the court-ordered restitution funds will go toward vital conservation programs that will mitigate damage caused by poaching and wildlife smuggling.” U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Special Agent in Charge Phillip Land, said, “This case is an excellent example of how state and federal law enforcement agencies work together to combat the illegal wildlife trade. We will continue to vigorously investigate wildlife crime to hold traffickers accountable and protect imperiled species for future generations. We would like to thank the Oklahoma Department o Wildlife Conservation and the U.S. Attorney's Office for their assistance with this case." Oklahoma Wildlife Department Chief of Law Enforcement Nathan Erdman said, “This case required assistance from officers across the nation. First, Game Wardens Karlin Bailey and Carlos Gomez did an outstanding job with this investigation. This is a prime example of how a simple phone call from a concerned citizen can lead to large cases and convictions. I would like to thank the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for their assistance with this case. I would also like to thank the U.S. Attorney's Office, Northern District of Oklahoma, for the prosecution.”

page 19

Box turtles can live beyond 100 years of age, and inhabit both terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems. This makes them important indicators of environmental health. They eat fruit, and are important for seed distribution. They also eat insects and carrion, curbing the spread of disease. Additionally, they serve as predators of fish, amphibians, snakes, mollusks and worms. By smuggling the turtles, Gangemi violated the Lacey Act, a federal law that makes it a felony to engage in the sale or purchase of protected wildlife, that was taken, possessed, transported or sold in violation of state laws or regulations. In Oklahoma, the collection of both types of box turtles for commercial purposes is against the law. Box turtles reach sexual maturity at about 10 years old and have a high nest and juvenile mortality rate. Due to these factors, turtle harvest can have highly detrimental impacts on populations.

Lueders said, “As a nation, we are very fortunate to have had the Lacey Act for the last 120 years, prohibiting trade in illegally taken wildlife, fish and plants.” Those who came before us knew the importance of protecting wildlife from unlawful trade, and this law remains relevant each time a poacher or wildlife smuggler is charged.” “The success of this case is an excellent example of how crucial partnerships are to the critical work we do,” she said. “It exemplifies the mission of our agency and our ability to achieve this mission depends on these partnerships.”

LAREDO, Texas – A businesswoman and her employee have admitted they were responsible for selling parts of a protected species, announced Acting U.S. Attorney Jennifer B. Lowery. Cecilia Castaneda, 63, pleaded guilty today, while Maria Luisa Garza-Salazar, 57, entered her plea Jan. 22. The Laredo women admitted to illegally selling hummingbirds. Castaneda owned and operated Herbario Corpus Christi, a business specializing in herbs and spices. Garza-Salazar was her employee. Both women were charged under the Lacey Act for selling dried or parts of more than 160 hummingbirds. The Lacey Act still protects the migratory birds although they are no longer an endangered species. The law makes it a crime to import, sell, receive or acquire any wildlife which have been possessed, transported or sold in violation of any law. Dried hummingbirds, or parts of the birds, are illegally packaged and sold commercially as love charms together with prayer cards. The hummingbirds are typically packaged in a paper sleeve and surrounded with red threads or envelopes.4In a companion case, Maria Guadalupe Garcia, 55, Laredo, admitted to selling more than 200 hummingbirds Oct. 28. She owned and operated Herbario Lupita, an herbal shop located in Laredo. “These guilty pleas send a clear message to wildlife traffickers that we and our law enforcement partners are in the business of identifying and apprehending those who exploit protected species for commercial gain,” said Special Agent in Charge Phillip Land of the Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS-OLE.) “We thank the U. S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Texas for holding these individuals responsible for their actions.”Castaneda is set for sentencing Aug. 10, while Garcia’s hearing is scheduled for June 22. At those times, they each face up to five years in federal prison and a possible $250,000 maximum fine.The FWS – OLE conducted the investigation with the assistance of Texas Game Wardens. Assistant U.S. Attorney José Angel Moreno is prosecuting the case.

What do you think? Should poaching and wildlife laws be stiffer? Should some be a federal crime?

Write your state and federal representatives. Let them know whatyou think. page 20



Modern crossbows are highly efficient and accurate — amazingly so. Most manufacturers pre-sight their crossbows at the factory before shipping them. When properly cocked with the right bolt and proper shooting mechanics, these crossbows produce consistent bull’s-eyes out of the box at 20, 30 and 40 yards. You might need to tweak them a little to get pinpoint accu- racy or satisfy personal standards, but within recommended range limi- tations, dead-deer shots should be no

By Al Raychard Deer and Deer Hunter Magazine We tend to forget, though, that crossbows — recurve or compound — are mechanical devices, and like all mechanical devices, they must be maintained. Parts and components wear and occasionally need to be replaced. Screws loosen, and scopes especially might have to be adjusted from time to time. In a nutshell, as high-tech and well-made as modern crossbows are, they require some attention for reliable accuracy and dependability — particularly before heading for the deer woods. That’s especially true when the human factor enters the equation. Even top-of-the-line crossbows cannot do their job unless shooters do theirs. Because humans are, well, human, there is a lot of room for incon- sistency or poor arrow strikes, even with a new bow. For achieving and maintaining consistent accuracy, most problems are human-based, and as a bow gets used and ages, the possibility of problems increases. page 21

1. A Bow That Doesn’t Fit

Not all crossbows are of the same weight, length and width. Although there is a crossbow for everyone, there’s not a one-size-fits-all crossbow. There is a direct correlation between how well a crossbow fits you and accuracy. If a bow is too heavy, feels too long or wide, or is cumbersome to lift and hold on target, it doesn’t fit, and it’s not right for you. Crossbows are built on rifle-like stocks, and like a rifle, they should not be overly burdensome, difficult to handle, or awkward or uncomfortable to use. Consider the length of pull to the trigger. Also, the trigger should be smooth and crisp, with little or no creep. Bigger, heavier, faster and fancier is not always better, and that’s true when hunting with a crossbow and striving for consistent accuracy.

2. The Wrong Arrows

Whether you call them arrows or bolts, most crossbow makers recommend certain lengths and grain weights for various models. Some even recommend specific material — carbon or aluminum — and fletching length. Although most crossbows can shoot arrows with any type of nock, most manufacturers also recommend a specific type. That’s based on a model’s power stroke, draw weight, optimizing front of center and what works best to stabilize the arrow, as determined through extensive testing during the design and testing process. To achieve maximize accuracy, you should only use arrows recommended by the manufacturer for a specific crossbow, and you should use those for sighting in and hunting every time. Changing or switch- ing arrows will lead to trouble and inconsistent accuracy. It’s true lighter arrows fly faster, but remember that faster is not always better. You might best achieve ultimate arrow flight and overall control by using an arrow that flies at a slower or moderate speed, or at speeds recommended by the manufacturer. Using lighter arrows or arrows not recommended by the manufacturer can put added stress on the bow, increase the chance of injury and might void the manufacturer’s warranty. Finally, give each arrow a spin test before using it, checking for straightness. Take a look at the arrow shaft. At today’s speeds and maximum recommended crossbow ranges, it makes little difference whether a shaft has a .001 or .005 straightness differential. At 40 yards, that’s a dead deer. But if the shaft is visibly bent, dented or otherwise damaged, get rid of it.

3. Loose-Fitting Components

It takes very little to throw a crossbow arrow off course. A few years ago, while hunting in Ohio, a nice buck entered my kill zone and gave me a broadside shot at 30 yards. I had driven all night, with the cross- bow stowed in its case in the bed of my pickup. After arriving and grabbing a quick cup of coffee, I had immediately headed for the woods. I got the buck in my scope and shot, but instead of hitting the vitals, the bolt flew high, resulting in a clean miss. I couldn’t understand it. The bow had been dead on before I left home, and though the miss could have been caused by human error, I doubted it. After careful inspection, I noticed the scope had loosened. It apparently wasn’t fully secure at home, and it had loosened even more during the road trip. By taking for granted everything was tight — something I generally ensure via routine — I cost myself a nice buck. It’s a mistake I haven’t made since. Today’s crossbows are extremely well built, but they vibrate during use, and through time, screws and bolts that hold the bow together are apt to loosen. Don’t repeat my mistake. Something as simple as one loose bolt or screw can affect accuracy. Make it a habit before going to the range or deer woods to ensure that all bolts, screws and nuts are tight. That includes the quiver, but especially bolts, screws and nuts that secure sights, the scope and the bow assembly where it attaches to the stock. In the process, look for worn, damaged or missing parts, and check the flight rail for nicks or anything that might influence arrow flight. page 22

DID YOU KNOW 4. Improper Cocking Practices

To shoot straight every time, a crossbow must be cocked straight every time. When the bow is fully cocked and locked into position, the serving must be centered, with equal lengths on each side of the rail. If it’s off center by as little as 1/16 inch, the impact point can be off target left or right by several inches, depending on the range. The longer the range, the more it will be off mark. Typically, most people have more strength in one arm than the other, and during the cocking process, that dominant arm pulls the string easier and faster than the other, making it easy to get the string off center. To help eliminate the problem, mark the serving with a felt pen or marker on each side of the rail when the string is at rest. During the cocking process, concentrate on what you’re doing, using the marks as a visual guide to help keep the string equal on each side of the rail right into the trigger housing.

5. Bow Not Properly Tuned

A crossbow must be properly tuned with a balanced brace height and balanced tiller. Brace height is the distance between the bowstring and the belly side of the riser when measured from the string’s center when the bow is not cocked. If you put a mark on the side of the flight track where the string crosses, through time, you will notice the string will creep forward as it stretches. That’s normal, but as the string stretches and settles, arrow velocity changes, and arrow impact points will be higher or lower than in the past. To solve the problem, simply replace the string and, if necessary, the cables on compound models. Tiller is the balance between the limbs, which should be identical in pull length and weight. It will become obvious the tiller is off balance if arrow impact points are scattered left or right on the target or when rail marks appear on the arrow shaft. In severe cases, the marks will appear heavy, especially along the nock end of the shaft. To correct the problem, measure from where each limb meets the prod back to the string. They should be the same. Most compound models have an adjustment screw or bolt on each limb that can be turned in or out until both limbs, or the tiller, is the same. On recurve models, your only recourse is to replace the limbs. If you’re unsure in either case, consult an archery shop, or call the manufacturer.

page 23

6. Poor Maintenance

Many accuracy problems caused by loose components and poor tuning can be avoided with proper routine maintenance. Every new crossbow comes with an owner’s manual. Along with safety tips, assembly and sighting instructions, and other helpful and need-to-know information, the manuals contain a host of maintenance procedures. Generally, at the top of the list, is something on the importance of lubricating the flight rail and waxing the string, except the server, and in some cases the cables. Some manufacturers also recommend checking for frayed strings and limb condition, and oiling the trigger box, axles on compound models and all bolts exposed to the weather. Whatever the owner’s manual says, do it. By following the manufacturer’s maintenance recommendations, your string and other components should provide at least 150 to 200 shots, and the bow should provide years of reliable service.

7. Improper Shooting Practices

Shooters generally have several problems achieving consistent accuracy. The first is not holding the crossbow steady. Manufacturers have come a long way in reducing weight and making crossbows less cumbersome and awkward, but crossbows are still not the easiest things to hold on target, especially for long periods.Tuning your bow and its components is incredibly important for accuracy. Tuning your bow and its components is incredibly important for accuracy.To increase accuracy when sighting in, always shoot from a bench, just as you would when sighting in a rifle. It will make the process much easier and simplify solving any accuracy problems. When hunting from elevated tree stands, use the safety rail to your advantage, if your stand has one. If not, shooting sticks or some other type of support aid will prove their worth.The second consideration is firing the trigger. A crossbow trigger should be squeezed, not pulled. Pulling or jerking the trigger increases the chances of moving the bow during the shooting process and missing the shot. It takes very little movement to throw a crossbow arrow off mark, so using a shooting aid and squeezing the trigger are important for accuracy.

8. Not Lining it Up Properly

A major accuracy gremlin is cantering, or having one limb lower than the other when shooting. It is imperative to keep the limbs level, on the same plain or parallel with the ground. If the left limb is lower There’s a direct correlation between how well a bow fits you and accuracy. If a bow feels too heavy, or seems too long or wide, it’s probably not right for you. If the left limb is lower than the right, the bow will shoot left. If the right limb is lower than the left, it will shoot right. And in either case, it will shoot high or low, depending on the range. Eliminating this problem takes practice and concentration, which is not easy when a four-legged target is in range. However, it’s essential to maintain consistent crossbow accuracy.

page 24

9. The Right Scope

Scopes make target acquisition faster and easier, and they improve accuracy. But what constitutes a good crossbow scope? The answer depends on the shooter and the scope’s primary use: hunting or shooting targets. In either case, some basic parameters should be given priority. Good light-gathering ability will prove its worth in low light, so something with a 1-inch tube and 32 mm optical lens is a good standard. Considering a crossbow’s short shooting range, high-powered magnification isn’t called for, but a 1- to 4X variable will help in faster target acquisition and pinpoint- ing the vitals on game at close and maximum range. A wide field of view is also beneficial. A scope with adjustable parallax to 35 or 50 yards, or one that’s parallax-free to that range, will greatly improve accuracy and make your crossbow experience more enjoyable. And finally, any crossbow scope should compensate for arrow trajectory. There are basically two types of popular crossbows scopes: multi-dot and multi-crosshair, most of which offer adjustable illumination. The multi-dot models work well for punching holes in targets and game, but at maximum range, the dots tend to obscure the target area. Even on the lowest setting in certain light conditions they seem to wash out the field of view. Experienced crossbow hunters generally prefer multi-crosshair scopes. You can still see the crosshairs, whether they’re illuminated. Even if the battery dies you still can see them. Crosshairs make it easier to pinpoint shots to maximum range. The crosshairs can also be used in bracketing, or taking shots between ranges for which your crossbow is sighted. When mounted properly, they can be used to control or prevent canting the bow when shooting. Whatever type of scope you use, proper mounting is essential to achieve and maintain accuracy. Consult the owner’s manual for instructions. If you’re unsure, have a gunsmith mount the scope for you.

10. Not Knowing Your Range

Manufacturers are pushing the limits of crossbow speeds and range, but 40 yards remain the industry’s maximum recommended range. Crossbow arrows will certainly fly farther, but doing so accurately every time — especially at game — is a different matter. Knowing the range of your target is of the utmost importance to putting game down quickly and humanely. However, not every hunter can accurately estimate range, or at least not efficiently enough for pinpoint crossbow accuracy. A buck might be 25 yards away or maybe 35 — which is it? Those 10 yards can mean the difference between success and failure. Know the distance you’re shooting. A quality rangefinder should be considered a vital part of every crossbow hunter’s arsenal, and should be used at the range for sighting in and marking the distance to trees, stumps and other objects from your stand or blind. When a buck works past that mark, you will know exactly how far it is and which crosshair to use.

Page 25 Laguna del Mar Laredo, TX 78041 (318) 278-2208

Small business looking to bring you quality with Custom Cutlery for sportsmen, fishermen in the kitchen and so much more!

Page 26



These are a few states that I picked to show what you can do to help by volunteering. Volunteers work closely with the states fish and game departments. Wildlife and conservation efforts consist of many things. For instance, did you know that building fish structures and placing them in the lakes was a choice. Adopting a boat ramp in a lake nearby is another. There are all kinds of things that can be done to help. All 50 states have a volunteer program needing help. I have volunteered my time at a few events at a few lakes nearby. I have met some wonderful people along the way. So if you looking for something to do. Get out and get active by lending a hand and getting close to nature. Its a great way to give back. Go have a great day and enjoy the outdoors! States set additional Columbia River spring Chinook fishing days CLACKAMAS, Ore.—Following a run upgrade, fishery managers from Oregon and Washington adopted additional fishing days for recreational spring Chinook salmon in the Columbia River today during a joint state hearing.This additional opportunity is based on a projected return of 87,000 adult upriver spring Chinook to the Columbia River mouth, which exceeds the preseason forecast of 75,200 adults. The larger return provides additional post-update harvest opportunity both below and above Bonneville Dam. However, given the low passage of Skamania stock steelhead over Bonneville Dam to-date, managers elected to reduce the steelhead bag limit to one fish starting this Friday and continuing through the spring management period which ends June 15. A one steelhead bag limit was also previously adopted for the summer management period which begins June 16.

The season dates and bag limits for the additional fishing days are: Below Bonneville Dam - Season: Friday May 21 through Sunday May 23, and June 1-15 Bag limit: Two adult hatchery salmonids (Chinook or steelhead) per day, but only one may be a Chinook and only one may be a steelhead. Open area: Tongue Point/Rocky Point line upstream to the Bonneville Dam deadline (boat and bank), except salmonid angling from a boat is prohibited in the spring salmonid boat-angling area closure adjacent to the Cowlitz River mouth (map available at Bonneville Dam to Oregon/Washington Border Season: Saturday May 22, Sunday May 23, Saturday May 29, and Sunday May 30 Open area: Tower Island power lines (approximately six miles below The Dalles Dam) upstream to Oregon/Washington border, plus the Oregon and Washington banks between Bonneville Dam and the Tower Island power lines. Bag limit: Two adult hatchery salmonids (Chinook or steelhead) per day, but only one may be a Chinook and only one may be a steelhead. Fishery managers scheduled another hearing for 3 p.m. next Tuesday, May 25 to consider the latest information on catch rates and determine if additional fishing days can be added. For the latest on Columbia River fishing regulations, visit page 27


Reward of $1500 for information on three black-tailed bucks poached near Coos Bay

COOS BAY, Ore. — Poachers shot three black-tailed bucks over the weekend of Mar. 19, likely using a spotlight, and then left them to waste on the North Spit of Coos Bay. There is a $1500 reward offered for information that leads to a citation in the case.

All three deer were shot in the head, from relatively close range, according to Oregon State Police Fish and Wildlife Sergeant Levi Harris. Because the deer were found so close together, Harris believes they were blinded by a spotlight, which gave a shooter time to aim and drop each deer individually. In a normal hunting situation, a single shot at one deer would have startled others into flight. Black-tailed deer hunting season is currently closed. There were no footprints or tire tracks leading to the site according to US Department of Agriculture employee, Joseph Metzler, who discovered the scene as he began rounds the morning of Monday, Mar. 23. Metzler, a member of the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) team, specializes in survival strategies of Oregon Snowy Plover populations among the dunes along the North Spit. Only off-road or four-wheel drive vehicles can access the roads.

That morning, traveling on his ATV, Metzler noticed crows congregating in the area. As he rounded a bend in the road, he came upon the deer carcasses directly in front of him, on the hillside. Metzler agrees that the deer were likely spotlighted. “As soon as I came around the corner, there they were, and if it had been dark, they would have been standing right in front of my headlights on the hillside,” he said.

Metzler, no stranger to Oregon coast wildlife, has spent his career working with various wildlife agencies. On that day, Metzler saw a side of the occupation dreaded by all wildlife managers.

“This is the worst that I’ve seen,” he said, “All three of these animals would have matured to be nice bucks for people to take next hunting season. Each one would have filled a freezer.”

Reducing the number of poaching incidents across the state is a primary objective of the Oregon Hunters Association (OHA), according to Duane Dungannon, who serves on the state board. “Oregon’s deer are facing so many threats from predation, habitat loss, disease and vehicle collision, that last thing we can afford is to have them senselessly slaughtered by poachers,” he said. OHA manages the Turn In Poachers (TIP) reward fund for reporting poachers. The reward for information leading to a citation in this case now stands at $1500, or 6 hunter preference points.

Oregon State Police requests that any person with information about this incident contact the TIP line and leave information for Trooper John Cooper. Individuals wishing to remain anonymous may also contact the Oregon State Police through the Turn in Poachers line at; TIP Hotline: 1-800-452-7888 or *OSP (677). The Stop Poaching Campaign educates the public on how to recognize and report poaching. This campaign is a collaboration among hunters, conservationists, land owners and recreationists. Our goal is to increase reporting of wildlife crimes through the TIP Line, increase detection by increasing the number of OSP Fish and Wildlife Troopers and increase prosecution. This campaign helps to protect and enhance Oregon’s fish and wildlife and their habitat for the enjoyment of present and future generations. Contact campaign coordinator Yvonne Shaw for more information.

Please get out and enjoy the outdoors by giving MOTHER NATURE a helping hand, by keeping the Enviroment clean. Volunteering will open you up to meeting new friends along with learning something new. page 28

Whats the Story? cont. from page 24


Application Process for Alligator Hunting Season Begins June 1

The 2021 Public Waters Alligator Hunting Season in Mississippi will open at 12:00 p.m. on August 27 and continue through 12:00 p.m. September 6. The application process for the 960 available permits will begin at 10:00 a.m. June 1 and continue through 10:00 a.m. June 8. Applications are accepted on-line at or at any pointof-sale location where Mississippi hunting and fishing licenses are sold. Permits are limited by a random drawing and an electronic application is required. There is a $2.34 electronic processing fee. Applicants may only apply once in one zone (7 total zones) of their choice. The first drawing will take place on June 14 at 12:00 p.m. Winners will be notified by email and will have until 12:00 p.m. June 16 to purchase their permit via an electronic link in their winning email notification. Any unpurchased permits from the first drawing will be entered in a second drawing of remaining available applicants. The second drawing will take place on June 22 at 12:00 p.m. Winners will be notified by email and will have until 12:00 p.m. June 25 to purchase their permit. A credit card or debit card and a valid email address is required to complete the online application and permit purchase. To be eligible to apply for an alligator hunting permit you must be a resident of Mississippi, at least 16 years of age at the time of application. Nonresidents with a Mississippi Lifetime License are eligible. Applicants must have one of the following licenses to be eligible to apply: a valid Mississippi Sportsman License, All-Game Hunting/Fishing License, Small Game Hunting/Fishing License, Apprentice Sportsman License, Apprentice All Game License, Apprentice Small Game License, Senior Exempt License, Disabled Exempt License, or Lifetime License. For more information regarding alligator hunting rules and regulations, visit our website at alligator or call us at 601-432-2199. Follow us on Facebook at or on Twitter at www.

Archery in Mississippi Schools (AIMS) is designed to introduce 4th-12th grade students to the sport of International-Style Target Archery during their Physical Education Class and as an extracurricular team sport. Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) is the driving force behind AIMS. The program, which began in 2005 with 10 schools, is now over 500 schools and in over 50 counties with more than 80,000 students participating each year. The growth of AIMS has followed the national trend of Archery being the fastest growing sport nationwide and statewide. The first statewide Archery Invitational was held in Mississippi in 2011 with 400 student archers competing; and that number has expanded to over 5,000 student archers competing annually in the AIMS State Championships. Mississippi students also rank at the highest levels in both National and International Archery competitions every year. For more information visit our website at or contact the AIMS Department:

Waldo Cleland/Director Craig Beeding/Coordinator


Page 29

(601) 674-0777 (601) 325-0222.

Become a Campground Host

IOWA Volunteer Opportunities

If you like to camp and meet new people, this is the volunteer experience for you! The Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is looking for campground hosts to live in our state parks for the months of April – October helping DNR staff with light maintenance duties, checking in campers, and being a resource for visitors enjoying our state parks and forests.

Campground hosts are provided a free campsite while they are actively hosting during the camping season. Hosts volunteer 20 – 40 hours per week, including weekends and holidays, while living on site in their own camper.

Campground hosts . . .work with DNR staff to ensure that campers have the best experience possible in Iowa’s state parks provide a welcoming presence in our campgrounds act as models for other campers provide park information to visitors clean restrooms perform light administrative and/or maintenance tasks. All campground hosts must pass a criminal background check according to Unsupervised Volunteers Background Check Policy. Parks and Recreation Areas Currently Needing Hosts for 2021: Beeds Lake - Clear Lake - Green Valley - Maquoketa Caves - Nine Eagles - Red Haw - Stephens State Forest

Wishing to help out a park listed above? Read the campground host volunteer description and complete a campground host application for that specific park. For more information, please call 515-443-2533 or contact your local DNR park, forest or preserve.

Special Events, Volunteer Opportunities

Special events are planned by Iowa DNR and our partners calling on volunteers to come together for a purpose. A popular example of a special event is our Watershed Awareness River Expedition (AWARE) Project. Each year a river or watershed is designated for clean up. It’s a hands on volunteer experience where you can volunteer for as little as a few hours or for the whole week.

Iowa’s locally-led volunteer water quality monitoring program, empowers watershed and conservation groups to take a proactive approach to water quality. By engaging volunteers to monitor water quality in their project areas, they can ensure the protection, longevity and productivity of high quality water resources, as well as evaluate, assess, and improve those of lower quality.

Wildlife Monitoring The Volunteer Wildlife Monitoring Program (VWMP) is for enthusiastic and sharp-eyed, sharp-eared volunteers who have a passion for wildlife and its conservation. With more than 800 species in our state, the wildlife staff cannot possibly keep track of all these critters in every corner of the state. We need volunteers that are willing and interested in collecting data on two important and sensitive groups of wildlife.

Page 30


Bear Dumplings Pelmeni

Greetings and Salivations, my Sweets.Welcome back to my Kitchen. You’re always welcome here.

Today we are going to take on that big ol bear. This recipe was a long time recipe in our family. I’m not sure who came up with it or where it came from. I know that when Momma made it she would say she got it from her Grandma. Now I know that this recipe isn’t much different from all the ones you can find online. I’m guessing that it started as a basic recipe and everyone tinkered with it until they got it just right for what they liked. So that being said my Sweets, tinker with it and get it to where you like it. Thats whats nice about sharing recipes, each one can be changed to make it the way you would like it. This recipe can be used for more than just Bear meat. I have used it for other wild game meats, also with beef, pork and chicken, and it comes out very well. A WARNING to everyone. Bear is the biggest vector for TRICHINOSIS in North America along with a wild Boar/Hog. To kill TRICHINAE PARRASITES your meat should be brought up to at least 135*F and held there for about an hour. It is better to bring it up to 145*F to 150*F which is still pink or considered medium. Please do not think freezing works, it will not help you at all. Why? you ask, cause there are a variety of TRICHINAE PARASITES that will not die when frozen. Pops would bear hunt every year, along with Grandpop. They wouldn’t get one every season, but they always had a good time. Grandpops would have to have his dumplins a few times or he would get grumpy. I always enjoyed helping Mom and Grammy make them. I also enjoyed eating them, I loved dumplings and all the different ways to make them. My favorite is Chicken and Dumplings. I’m going to show the more rustic way of making the dumplings. I have used the well method with flour and egg mix, and also i have made a bunch with wonton/spring roll wrappers for parties. Lets get to rolling on this recipe, I hope you like! page 31

Pelmeni, Bear Dumplings

(Remember you can substitute any meat) This could be where it gets a little tricky. If you want to do the old school sourdough it will take some time. Here’s why ... you have to get started 3 days ahead of time. You will want to mix the Buttermilk, egg yolks, Spelt flour and salt into a batter. Keep it covered with plastic wrap and leave on you countertop. Then add a 1/2 cup to 1 cup of regular flour everyday mixing well and leave on the countertop. Please keep this dough covered with plastic wrap.


You can make the dough the same day. Some people boil the Plemeni and eat with sour cream. Pops liked his with a gravy made from the meat drippings INGREDIENTS FOR FILLING 2 pounds bear meat, or any other meat 3/4 pound pancetta or bacon Salt 4 cloves garlic, minced 2 tablespoons black pepper 2 tablespoons butter, lard or bear fat 1 large onion, chopped Optional - diced red and yellow peppers will add a little sweetness. Diced green peppers will add a bit of bold savory flavor. DOUGH 2 cups spelt, whole wheat, farro or combination of all 3. The ratio can be up to you. 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon salt 1 cup buttermilk 6 egg yolks INSTRUCTIONS Prep your bear, cut all the silver skin, tendons, and other gnarly bits and pieces off, whatever does not look appetizing. Cut into 1/2 inch chunks. At this point you can either leave in chunks or course grind. Chop the bacon/pancetta into small chunks. You can either grind in with the bear meat or leave in chunks. Mix in the minced garlic, black pepper, and salt if you think its needed. Cover mixture and put in fridge. You can leave this in the fridge overnight or use in a couple of hours. Prepping the dough. If your using the sourdough the prep is done other than punching down and a bit of kneading and adding flour to make dough firm and less sticky. If your making the quick dough. Wisk buttermilk, egg yolks, and salt together. Add flour a little at a time to keep from lumping, until dough is not sticking to hands. If you are going with the well method wisking with a fork until all ingredients are mixed then knead in remailing flour until dough is not sticky. Roll into a ball, cover with a light coat of oil, cover and set off to the side for a couple of hours, Cooking Take a half stick of butter and add to pan on medium heat allowing to melt. Add in the onions, also add the peppers if you are choosing to use them sautee until browning occurs. Pull off the heat and place in a bowl or on plate to cool. If you have chosen to grind the meat mixture you can add the onions and peppers to mixture. At this point you can roll into a small meatball and fry in the pan or bake at 350 until brown. I like to fry mine so I can make a gravy. Or you can brown the loose ground mixture. IF you have decided to use the chopped meat then brown in the pan adding the onions and peppers cooking together. When done cooking place on a plate to cool. Add chicken/beef stock to deglaze pan, add a bit of flour to thicken to make a gravy. page 32

Camille’s Kitchen Final Dough and Meat Prep Punch down your dough and roll out to about 1/16 of inch. Take a cup (or something of similar circumfrence) and use the rim to cut out circles. Place meat mixture in center, don’t overfill. Bring edges together and seal. Pinch neck together forming a pouch. Or fold over pressing edges together making into shape of a half moon. You can do just about any shape you feel. Perogie, Ravioli, Steamed Dumplings, get creative. Grams would make an oblong shape and roll like a cigar, this way they could be dunked in the gravy, or layed side by side and covered with gravy or sauce. You can boil, steam, pan fry, or whatever you feel as to cooking. IF USING WONTON WRAPPER, or something along the lines. Fill center with meat mixture. Using a beaten egg, paint the edges to help seal, roll, fold, or get creative. You can now deep fry, pan fry, steam, or bake. PLEASE ... A WARNING to everyone. Bear is the biggest vector for TRICHINOSIS in North America along with a wild Boar/Hog. Not sure but if I remember(been to long ago) I believe you can add turtles into this. If you know of any other animals please let me know. To kill TRICHINAE PARRASITES your meat should be brought up to at least 135*F and held there for about an hour. It is better to bring it up to 145*F to 150*F which is still pink or considered medium. Please do not think freezing works, it will not help you at all. Why? you ask, cause there are a variety of TRICHINAE PARASITES that will not die when frozen. As you can see you can do this recipe in many different ways, it takes a little tinkering, improvising, and I’m sure you can come up with several different variations. Get Creative!

As Always My Sweets


page 33



**BETTINA RUSSO** BOLT & QUARREL would also like to thank those who have made a donation. We here at B&Q really appreciate your support and the faith you have in this club. Thank you, very much appreciated! Very much Thanks to those who have offered their support by offering your sevices. We really do appreciate the help. It has allowed us to keep moving on with things and not stalling out. Your volunteering to help tie up some loose ends has been great. THANK YOU! We would also like to give our members a huge THANK YOU for having the patients with us in this new adventure. As things progress we are still learning the ropes. We are trying hard to do things right the first time. This is proof that you can teach an old dog new tricks. Some of us are learning things that seem to come natural to most 8 to 14 year olds now a days. YES I’m talking about the use of all these different programs, apps, and website building.... LOL THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PATIENCE For those that would like to offer your services, volunteer, donations of any sort, computer work, research work, office, or just picking up the slack and getting things done from start to finish. We can sure use the help. Give our Prez Paul Burnside a call at 330-338-8610 or Email PBurnside@Bolt-Quarrel. org OR Jim Baldwin at or text 330-842-2125



Stay Cool! Enjoy the Outdoors! See You Next Issue...