Bjartur Fríði Clementsen
Art + Orphanage The Societal theme The societal perception of an orphan has changed to be more clinical than it has been in the past. Today the child is more like a client/patient who gets a diagnosis to be treated for, during his/her stay at an orphanage. However, the building has not changed since 1955, and therefore needs to be updated for the present demands. As a new method, I am interested in making a synergy between art and orphanage. The site HoyvĂksvegur is the name of the site I have chosen, located approximately 6min walk from downtown in Torshavn and itâ€™s blended in the residential areas. The contextual benefits are a short distance to School, day-care, sports facilities, shopping centre and cultural events in the city core. The site does also have natural green values like a plantation and beautiful brittle landscape. The program The indicative size of the orphanage is 2600m2, whereof 600m2 are artistic programs.
The workshops in the cluster create a courtyard to be the heart of the cluster while the private zones are facing towards the landscape.
1. Reception The childÂ´s first days in the orphanage will be in the reception unit. The child learns how to live by the domestic rules and daily routines in the orphanage. After a couple of days, the orphan will receive a diagnosis and their course of treatment will be determined.
2. Family Unit The residents living in the family units receive support and education in order to become good parents. This helps to prevent further tragedies in the families. The units have common spaces, where they can meet and share experiences with each other while being part of the rest of the community.
3. Steel Workshop With guidance from an artist, the child can learn how to work with materials of metal, e.g. welding, when the child is old enough and ready to learn it. The child learns to create artworks of metal, which could improve the childâ€™s self-esteem and mental growth.
4. Music Studio Music as an artistic medium is a very effective method to help the child articulate and translate their feelings into beneficial qualities for the healing process of their traumatic experiences. A concept like EL Sistema could be an inspiring method to improve the process of learning.
5. Multifunctional Space The multifunctional space is attached to the artist apartments in the north/west. This space can be opened or closed with the green barn doors, depending on the use and weather. This space could be used for theatre, concerts, exhibitions, art fair.
6. Wooden Workshop The wooden workshop is attached to the artist apartments, nearest to the north. The room has the necessary facilities, equipment and materials to create their wooden artwork, alongside guidance from an artist.
7. Ceramic Workshop
The ceramics workshop is attached to the orphanage unit 14-18 years. The artist visits the different workshops to guide the orphans in their artwork. The ceramic workshop provides an opportunity for the child to sculpture their emotions into a physical object.
8. Art Gallery The Gallery is attached to the orphanage unit 0-13 years, which means that the paintings can be hung up in various places in the unit. The child learns to paint and express their feelings through art, with guidance from an artist.
The workshops are facing into the centre of the buildings. This creates a heart where everyone can interact with each other, e.g. a child from the wooden workshop could get inspiration from the musician when they talk together around the bonfire in the middle.
10. Natural Atmospheres
The existing qualities are preserved to give space for a natural atmosphere that stimulates the childâ€™s imagination and promotes creativity and playfulness in their healing process.
Plan Groundfloor 1:200
Urbanitet+ Funktionens Foranderlighed Fokusområdet er Refshaleøen, som i sin foranderlighed har transformeret sig fra en tung skibsindustri til en mere kulturel kontekst med mindre virksomheder af forskellig arter. Fordelen med denne forandring er at der kommer nye kulturelle aktiviteter, som f.eks. festivaler udstillinger og andre fritidsbaserede aktiviteter. Mit ønske er at forstærke disse aktiviteter, sådan at den kulturelle attraktivitet på Refshaleøen øges. Med en arkitektonisk tilføjelse der sætter denne ambition til en mere kulturel kontekst i gang.
Beivenhedsfamilier Det overordnede program er boformer. Med udgangspunkt i metaforen “Begivenhedsfamilier” defineres en eller flere målgrupper for et byggefelt på Christiansholm. Herfra udvikles et vejledende rumprogram, der beskriver bygningens funktioner med en vurdering af arealfordelingen. Målgruppen er med udgangspunkt udenlandske indflyttere, om kan leje op til 3 år. Boligfunktionen kan eventuelt kombineres med andre programmer, hvor der er potentiale for synergi.
STOF OG LYS
MAKT OG BLIK
LÆNGDESNIT Længdesnit 1:50
OPSTALTER Opstalter 1:100
Overall works from my bachelor degree