Issuu on Google+

Minutes of the Birchgrove Community Association, held on 03 Dec 2008. Attendance

Roy Jones (Chair), Gerrie Maber (Sec), Steve Payne, Tony Griffiths, Gareth Lewis, Ryland Doyle, Jason Parker.

Apologies

Rachel Thompson, Bernard Davies (Vice Chair), Ray Eagle(Treasurer) Action 1 Minutes of last meeting. The minutes of the last meeting were read and agreed. 2 Matters arising. i Jeff Davison hopefully to attend next meeting. ii No progress on the allotment group. 3 Website. Many Thanks from the committee to Jason Parker for setting up and running the fabulous new website. http://www.birchgrove.btik.com Any additions to go to Jason please either via the site or to his email. In addition to the website, it would be a good idea to ask local shops/ businesses if they would be willing to display a BCA newsletter.

R Jones

4 Heol Las park. The Secretary handed out information relating to parks in the local area which was taken from the council website, for information. The committee was informed that Cwmdonkin Park is linked with Cwmdonkin Terrace which was where Dylan Thomas once lived. So they were applying for money from the Heritage Lottery fund, and Llewellyn Park is in a "Community First" area so qualified for funding from them. RENN schemes are for landfill sites. It was suggested that Scotts Pit could be linked to Heol Las Park and therefore qualify for Heritage Lottery funding. Culvert. The dangerous culvert has still not been dealt with and needs to be bought to the attention of the council again, and fixed before there is a serious accident there. The skip is still full and overflowing and being used by others as a general dumping ground. RD said that Iwan Davies (parks) is happy to meet regarding the locking of the gates on Heol Dulais. But there are no gates at the bottom and the fence is not complete. Email relating to all park issues to be sent to Iwan Davies and Phil Roberts (Director of regeneration). RD informed the committee that there are two playgrounds to be built, One in the Ynysallan Road development and one in Tregof village. He would like us and local residents to be aware that the money being used to build them is, specifically ring fenced money which is the responsibility of the private developers. It was also suggested that we contact "Volunteers in Parks" to get more information on how it works and how we set it up for our park. Petition needs to be finished asap. 5 Community Centre/ Terrace Inn area. Mike Slee told the committee that he read in "Construction News" that planning for the site had been granted.RD stated that the plans were not yet approved. RJ read a letter from Heather Dunlop which asks for the committees assistance in their opposition to the planned development. She included photos of the traffic chaos already in existence on Birchgrove Road, and copies of letters that local residents had sent to the council.

Page 1 of 2

GM GM

GM

GM


RJ thinks that some of the points in the letter will be dismissed easily by the council and would like to see more evidence from the residents as to the drainage. It does seem that there is to be a new set of plans, as the developers have now acquired the piece of land next to the community centre. The committee agreed to support the cause of the residents in principal, but await the new plans. The question still stands that, with all this new development, local services are not being improved. Birchgrove has no Doctors surgery, Dentist, Library, Chemist road improvements and the Primary school is not being expanded. Also the Comprehensive School was built as a Community School yet has no Leisure facilities. Morriston, Penlan, Cefn Hengoed etc. 6 Crime update. Leigh Davies was not present. Several people have had problems with youths throwing stones from the field below the rugby pitch at cars on Gwernllwyncwyth Road and Ffordd Scott. 7 Old Age Centre. The building is in very poor condition and the Council have assessed the cost to bring up to standard as ÂŁ233,000. The council say the building is past its ell by date and there is spare capacity in the community centre which can be used. Committee will await next move by Council. 8 Finance. RE Nil to report, account still needs setting up. 9 Events Ideas for events - St David's Day celebration, Carol service, Carnival, walking treasure hunt, bulb planting, Easter egg hunt. 10 Allocation of Tasks Hopefully the bank account will be set up by the next meeting as we can not go RE forward with grant applications without it. GM tried to define allocated tasks to members. MS and GL agreed to explore fundraising/ donations. RD agreed to organize events and RJ volunteered for MS GL RJ publicity. 11 AOB RD:-The community Centre Management Committee needs more members. All welcome, please just turn up at a meeting, they are held on the 2nd Wednesday of every month. In the community centre. Jason volunteered to compile a Birchgrove Community Association calendar and make it available to download. Also to add links to the local AM's and MP's on the site. And add the photos from traffic congestion on Birchgrove Road. JP Matt Smith has shown an interest in joining the committee, the committee would welcome him. 12 Next meeting. The next meeting will be on 07 JAN 2009 at 19.30hrs in the community centre. Items for the agenda to Gerrie by 01 Jan 2009 please.

Page 2 of 2


Birchgrove Community Association Meeting Minutes Decmber 2008