Page 1

The Rippling Effects of Student Loans The life of every US student has become and is increasingly becoming tremendously burdened with student loans and debts incurred, which is also making fierce ripple effects in making life decisions. According to a report, only 40% of a total $730 billion outstanding student loan is being actively repaid, with the rest of 60% of loans comprising of debtors who are still in school or are delaying payments by deferment or defaulting. Student loans can be a boon and bane at the same time, as many of those who opted for higher-paying careers like medicine, law and engineering opt for higher amount of loans but end up struggling to get desired jobs, that remains as the last resort to pay off those loans. In other cases, workers are facing severe pay cuts as a lump sum amount from their salary goes away in paying off the student debts. In these certain cases debt relief options like debt settlement, debt consolidation plans etc help one out to a least extent. Students basically feel the depression and frustration as they start pursuing a profession for paying loans over a decade since they come out of schools with the tension of paying back their dues rather than chasing a passion that they love. Unlike other loans and debts that can be fought out in some way or other through debt help or mortgage payments or can even be discharged with bankruptcy, student loans are hard to maneuver out, as evading from student loan is virtually impossible especially when a collection agency is involved. Though the lenders hold the rights to trim or decrease the payments, waiving of fees and principles seldom happens. No doubt that education is a powerful tool for economic advancement for the country and has several intangible benefits, however the recent recession and related bailouts have created a long standing debate whether student loan is a good or bad debt. Reports have found out a shocking record that shows unwillingness in people to marry and start family, in case they would be burdened with student or education loans for their children in near future. Parents too are perplexed about what they need to do, pay off their already existing outstanding or save for their children’s future. All these discerning and discouraging factors along with the one that student loan is non-dischargeable in bankruptcy, brings about a unique sense of unavoidable hopelessness.

The_Rippling_Effects_of_Student_Loans  

The Rippling Effects of Student Loans