Foundation Grants Assist Diverse Projects Across Texas At the February 2013 meeting
of the Texas Historical Foundation board, six preservation grant proposals were reviewed and approved. The
Frontera Audubon Society,
an urban nature preserve in Weslaco, a small South Texas border community, received funding to meet expenses associated with the stucco rehabilitation of the Skaggs House. This Spanish Mediterranean-style structure (featured in the photo at right) became a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1994. The exterior work is one part of a multiphased restoration that will allow the FAS to expand its programming. Another recent grant will assist the
Jefferson Carnegie Library in
Jefferson with emergency repairs that resulted from a leaking roof on the second floor of the building. The library, still used for its original purpose, was built in 1907 with a donation from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The Houston ciation
in Houston was awarded a grant to help with the costs of the group's annual conference. This event was created to promote the area's history and serve as a resource for existing historical preservation and educational organizations. Funds were also presented to The Williamson Museum of Georgetown to host its annual Pioneer Days celebration. THF's support helped create interactive stations for event attendees. An East Texas project also received assistance from the Foundation. The Texas Center for Regional Studies in Conroe will apply its grant funds to costs associated with the Cradle of Texas Road component of the Texas Legacy Festival. Specifically, the financial gift will be used to create educational brochures and books. Finally, the Texas Historical 4 TEXASHERITAGE
Above: Board members and staff from the Frontera Audubon Society in Weslaco received a checl< for worl< on the historic Sl<aggs House from THF Director Esmeralda Urey (in black) and her husband Harry, at far left. Photograph courtesy of the Frontera Audubon Society. Below: Students from around the area submitted their hand-drawn creations, including this winning design, as part of The Williamson Museum's Pioneer Days celebration. Photograph provided by The Williamson Museum.
Foundation awarded the Post Oak Community Center in Johnson City a grant to complete repairs on a historical schoolhouse that is now used as a community center. Fol-
| Volume 2 2013
lowing restoration, the organization will charge rental fees for use of the building, generating much-needed funds for future projects. In April of this year, THF gave ad-
the application process, and past grant awards, check out www.texashistoricalfoundation.org.â€”Przscz'Za Hernandez At left, top: Guests at the new J. Evetts Haley Visitor Center in the Panhandle examine the exhibits that tell about the lives of Charles and Mary Ann Goodnight and their contribution to Texas history and the ranching industry. The restored Goodnight House opened in October 2012, and the visitor center welcomed tourists for the first time on April 13. Photo by Dr. Tim Chandler. At left, bottom: One of the coordinators of the Goodnight restoration project, Montie Goodin, in black with microphone, received the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution's Historic Preservation Medal. It was presented by the Esther McCrory Chapter of Amarillo and the Thankful Hubbard Chapter of Austin at a ceremony held at the J. Evetts Haley Visitor Center on May 11. Also pictured is Donna Otto, left, NSDAR Regent, and Anne Christian, right, of the Armstrong County Museum. Photograph provided by Karen Goodin.
Southwestern University Texas' oldest institution of higher learning
JL ditional financial support, through New Mexico honoring Civil War preservation grants, to other Texas solidiers from Texas who fought in historical groups. Those include: that battle in March 1862; Friends Historic Fort Worth Inc., to in- of Fulton Mansion, Fulton, for stall protective w^indow film on the restoration of the 1877 home built 288 panes of glass at the organiza- for George and Harriet Fulton; and tion's 1904 historic property known finally, the Stephenville Historic as Thistle House; Museum of House Museum for exterior rehaFine Arts, Houston-Bayou Bend bilitation of a planned five-phase to assist with the David B. War- restoration project for the Oxford ren Symposium, which advances House historic property. scholarship on the pre-1900 ma- The Texas Historical Foundation terial culture of the Texas region; board reviews grant proposals on Friends of the Texas Historical a quarterly basis in January, April, Commission, Austin, for a memo- July, and October of each year. For rial monument at Glorieta Pass in additional details about deadlines, V o l u m e 2 20 1 3