Page 15


February, 2016

1ST Responder Newspaper - NJ


UPS: When waitress Liz Woodward picked up the tab for two firefighters after serving them breakfast at the Route 130 Diner in Delran last July, she never imagined the gesture would lead to much more than a thank you. The firefighters, Paul Hullings and Tim Young, stopped at the diner after Hullings spent 12hours battling a warehouse fire in Woodward North Brunswick. brought the two a check with words instead of numbers that read, “Thank you for all that you do, for serving others and for running into the places everyone else runs away from.” The firefighters later discovered that the waitress was trying to raise money to purchase a wheelchair-accessible van for her father, who is paralyzed. The firefighters helped increase the “Woodward Strong” fund raising campaign from $30,000 to $80,000, and reached many more people including representatives from Mobility Ventures LLC. Executive Vice President Pat Kemp said the company decided to donate a fully wheelchair-accessible MV-1 to the Woodward family. DOWNS: A bedroom fire in Hamilton sent a woman to the hospital, Dec. 19th, with minor burns to her fingers and toes, officials said. Firefighters were able to remove the woman from the East State St. apartment and she was transported to a local hospital. UPS: The Kearny Fire Department recently purchased animal-sized oxygen masks. Once all members are trained, the department plans to equip each apparatus with a kit, according to Fire Chief Steve Dyl. DOWNS: The church rectory of the St. Demetrius Church in Carteret was seriously damaged in a Dec. 21st fire, officials said. UPS: After a two-year absence, the Barnegat Township Volunteer Fire Company is bringing back it’s junior firefighter program. The program gives local high school students, ages 16 and 17, a first-hand look at the various aspects of firefighting in hopes they will one day become volunteer company members. DOWNS: Eight employees felt sick due to the effects carbon monoxide at a Clinton St. dry cleaners in Paterson, Dec. 28th. Four were taken to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, because their carbon monoxide levels were so high, officials said. There were no carbon monoxide detectors in the building. UPS: Newly appointed firefighters in Edison are Kenneth DiFrenza, John Hansen, Joseph Horezga, Brian Jones, Kilijanski, Jason Mitchell and Nicholas Sacco. DOWNS: A three-story-high mulch pile that caught fire on Dec. 28th kept Passaic firefighters busy overnight and into the following day. The pile was about 30-yards by 50yards, according to Battalion Chief Luis Sanchez. Firefighters used master streams, including a tower ladder, and backhoes to move the mulch to get to its center on the property of a commercial landscaping company on

Howe Ave. UPS: A Jersey City firefighter who died a day after Christmas, 2014, was posthumously promoted to the rank of captain on Dec. 11th, with his family present. City officials said James Woods would have been promoted had he not died after completing a 24hour shift the day before. Also promoted to captain were J. Batt, R. Baykowski, M. Budinick, G. Drennan, Gamutan, D. Healy, V. Manchist, O'Keefe, M. Rios, J. Shastay and T. Tarrant. Promoted to battalion chief were Stephan Drennan and Michael Nickerson. DOWNS: A 55-year-old man, who Upper Saddle River police say set himself on fire in his back yard on Christmas Eve, died from burns on Dec. 29th. Police found an “accelerant” and an “ignition device” at the scene, and witnesses observed the man in the backyard of his residence fully engulfed in flames, according to Detective Lt. Ed Kane. UPS: The Englewood City Council plans to purchase eight to ten new SCBA face masks for firefighters each year over the next four years to comply with new state standards, said City Manager Tim Dacey. DOWNS: An Asbury Park house, where a hoverboard exploded, was deemed uninhabitable, according to the landlord. The self-balancing scooter burst into flames and shot across the living room, of the onestory structure, while it was being charged. According to the landlord, one of the renter's sons grabbed a fire extinguisher and put out the fire. Firefighters arrived to find the smoldering device in pieces inside the house, on Dec. 28th. UPS: Trenton firefighters will soon begin wearing bulletproof vests to protect themselves when they double as medics. The vests were approved as part of the fire union's new contract. Trenton EMS personnel have been wearing vests for years. Fire units have been responding to emergency medical calls as first responders since 2008. DOWNS: According to “The Record,” the Bergenfield Fire Department plans to report a smoking hoverboard to the federal Consumer

Product Safety Commission after being called to a West Central Ave. home on Dec. 27th. The motorized scooter started smoking after the resident had been using it and then placed it into the garage, according to Fire Chief Jerry Naylis. “It was sitting in the house and it just started smoking, “ he said. Firefighters were able to dismantle part of it and turn off the motor, the chief said. At least one wire was broken. Naylis cautions residents to make sure their hoverboards are turned off and keep an eye on them. UPS: The Montvale Borough Council has approved an appropriation of $5.1 million for the construction of a new firehouse. DOWNS: An elderly woman died after a fast-moving fire involved a Higginsville Rd. home in Readington on Jan. 2nd. Authorities said the intense flames and smoke initially prevented first responders from entering the house, but they were able to enter a short time later and found the woman's body. UPS: Michael Cahill has been promoted deputy fire chief in Ventnor City. DOWNS: One person died as the result of a dwelling fire on Pershing Rd., Clifton, on New Years Day. UPS: John Smisloff was recently promoted to fire captain in Hamilton Township. DOWNS: A fast-moving fire severely damaged the former St. Mark's Church in West Orange on New Years Day. The chuch was built in 1827. UPS: Pat Manning is the newly hired firefighter/EMT in Plumsted Township. DOWNS: North Hudson Squad 2 was involved in a MVA at 36th St. and New York Ave., Union City, on New Years Eve, responding on a full assignment alarm. UPS: Rick Byrne has been promoted to fire chief in Plumsted Township. DOWNS: On New Years Eve, an elderly man accidentally drove his car through a display window at the Bergen Blvd. Auto Zone store in Fairview. EMT's said there were three non-life threatening injuries.


Elmwood Park handles house fire On December 23, 2015 at 4:30 p.m., Elmwood Park Vol Fire Department, under the command of Chief Mike Pressler, responded to a working house fire on Falmouth Ave. First arriving police units reported smoke coming from the basement windows of the unoccupied dwelling. Mutual aid was called to the scene from Central Bergen Mutual Aid of which Elmwood Park is a member. Elmwood Park Volunteer Ambulance Corps stood by at the scene. No injuries were reported. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.


Trash truck fire in Evesham RON JEFFERS

A Chevy Impala crashed through a display window at the Bergen Blvd. Auto Zone store in Fairview on Dec. 31st.

Evesham Fire-Rescue tackled a trash truck fire on the morning of December 14th. Crews were challenged by the hydraulic fluid tank continuing to boil after fire extinguishment. Prior to this, EMS handled eight early am EMS calls and were then on their way to a motorcycle accident.

Profile for Belsito Communications Inc.

1st Responder New Jersey February Edition  

1st Responder New Jersey February Edition