Page 10


July, 2017

1ST Responder Newspaper - NE


Three-Alarm Blaze Ravages Apartment Building in Laconia Laconia, NH - On the morning of May 31st, at 4:05 A.M., Laconia, Gilford and Belmont were dispatched to 15 Orange Court, located off Court Street in Laconia, for an unknown type fire. Lakes Region Mutual Fire Aid had received an alarm from a medical alert reporting a fire and opted for a full response. Laconia Central Station crews arrived within minutes and Lt. JUMP TO FILE# Vaillancourt re- 060217107 ported fire blowing out of several windows on the firstfloor's right/front corner. Fire was overlapping the front of the building to the second-floor and mansard/soffit. He requested a second-alarm, passing the firstalarm, which called in all off-duty firefighters and crews from Gilford, Tilton, Franklin, Meredith and Sanbornton. Lt. Vaillancourt had his crews put a large capacity two-and-ahalf-inch hose stream into operation on the right/front corner. This stream was used to knock down the heavy fire on the first-floor and penetrate into the soffit and attic space. This stream slowed the fires progress. Gilford was assigned to search the middle and left sides of the buildings. Belmont and Laconia firefighters then placed a smaller attack line through the right-side

entrance door into the first-floor apartment. All occupants appeared to be out, but a search was still needed. Additional crews, including Gilford, stretched a hose line up the front stairs to the secondfloor, where they encountered heavy fire in that apartment. The building was built in 1870 as the home/estate for the owner of the Laconia Car Company. At the time, this was probably the biggest employer in Laconia, building rail cars that were used around the country. Over the years, the home was converted into an apartment building, now housing 11 apartments. The building is 112x40, two stories at the front and a full three stories at the rear. The original 12-foot-high ceilings had been lowered to eight-feet, creating enormous combustible voids for fire to spread undetected. The Weirs Engine laid in a supply line from Court St. to the back of the building. Ladder 2 was out of service that night; it did eventually respond, after two offduty firefighters went to get it. Gilford’s second Engine completed Engine 5 hose lay to a hydrant on Court Street. Captain Bean was assigned as Division 'C' supervisor. He reported smoke showing from multiple windows on the second and third floors. In the rear, the basement was a full level walk-out, with three apartments. As more resources arrived, the

Minimal Damage, No Injuries in Wolfeboro Fire at Mill Complex Wolfeboro, NH – No one was injured and the building was minimally damaged during a firstalarm fire at the former Berry Mill complex in Wolfeboro on Friday, June 9th. Wolfeboro Fire-Rescue was alerted to the blaze at 10:08 A.M. First arriving units found smoke showing from the structure. A first-alarm assignment brought assistance to the scene from Tuftonboro Fire-Rescue, Ossipee Corner Fire-Rescue and Wakefield FireRescue. “The first arriving crews were able to make a quick knockdown. The fire was confined to some equipment in the old mill building,” said Wolfeboro Fire-Rescue Chief Jim Pineo. “Access was a concern as the water in Back Bay is high and the structure can only be access by ladders.” The fire

fire scene was divided among arriving officers. Chief Lachapelle from Franklin was Division 'A' while Chief Dexter from Sanbornton was RIT Officer. Chief Erickson (Laconia) established a Command Post on Court St., and Assistant Chief Beattie (Laconia) was overall Incident Commander. As the operation progressed and crews were deployed, the smoke started pushing from the attic and cupola. A third-alarm was

requested, which brought Meredith’s Tower to the scene, along with Engines from Belmont, Holderness and Concord. Bristol, Gilmanton and Center Harbor were now covering the city. Early in the fire, a Belmont ambulance transported a victim who had suffered burn injuries. Stewart’s Ambulance treated an occupant at the scene. The fire originated in the front living room and was caused by


discarded smoking materials. The occupant had been using medical oxygen prior to the fire. This caused an oxygen rich environment on the couch, which quickly ignited. There was substantial damage to the entire right side of the building. Preliminary damage was estimated at $200,000. The building is owned by Gilbert Trust of Laconia. - LACONIA FD

Enjoy taking photographs? Get the most out of your hobby! 1st Responder News compensates correspondents

JUMP TO FILE #061217125 was declared under control at 10:45 A.M. The building, one of the last of the structures at the former excelsior mill, is owned by the Robert J. Reich Revocable Trust, with a mailing address of Montana, according to town records. The cause of the fire remains under investigation by Wolfeboro Fire-Rescue and the Wolfeboro Police Department. Wolfeboro Fire-Rescue was also assisted at the scene by Stewarts Ambulance, the Wolfeboro Police Department and the Wolfeboro Water Division. - TOM ZOTTI

for their article & photograph submissions.

Contact Lindsey TODAY for more information!

845-534-7500 ext. 212

Profile for Belsito Communications Inc.

1st Responder New England July Edition  

1st Responder New England July Edition