Page 4

Jones Beach, moving brick and cement to build the Jones Beach Water Tower, dredging the land for the building of “South” Bellmore, and the towing of steel and other work in the building of the Fire Island Causeway. Stan worked directly with Carl Koch and is given credit for his labors in the book Men of Steel – The Story of the Family That Built the World Trade Center (also documented in his work diaries). Stan was an active bayman and boat builder who was very involved in the local boating community. He owned a boat house on Barbara Road and a boat yard bordering Carlson’s on Public Highway in Bellmore (going south on Bellmore Avenue, first block on the left after “Captains Inn”). He owned a classic sail boat “The Kid” that is now on display at the Sayville Maritime Museum. Its skiff, named after his daughter, was the “Joanie”. He is well-known for his building of the community (literally and figuratively) and for the annual Stevens Clam Party at the Boat House. A recorded interview with Stan Stevens towards the end of his life is part of the Long Island Traditions, South Shore Estuary archives. In this interview, Stan offers a glimpse into his life and work. A notable statement made was: “He had a tugboat like a cowboy has a horse”. Joan Stevens, daughter of Stan and Lucy was raised in the Stevens home and lived there until the end of her life in 2010. Her life as a member of the Bellmore community is well-documented in her photo albums. Her home was left as a “time capsule” providing us with a momentary look into Bellmore past (1930’s-1970’s) to the benefit of all those interested in the history and camaraderie representative in life along the original Bellmore shoreline.

Stevens House  

Stan Stevens -Bellmore boating community leader, tugboat captain, active bayma and boat builder. He dredged the land for the building of “s...

Advertisement