Page 15

You can contact the Counselling Service by: Phone: 01234 291911 Text: Text TALK followed by a space to 07950 080723 Email: You can also call into Student Services to book an appointment. Self-help guides on many of the above topics are available from Student Services or on our website at

FINANCE ADVICE Drop in and see the student finance team at the Student Services help desk – they can give you impartial information, advice and guidance about student finance, including loans, fees, bursaries, benefits, accommodation and a range of other issues. If you are on an Access course you may be eligible to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to pay your fees. There may also be bursaries which can help with other costs – call in to Student Services for more information. If you are on a full-time higher education course you can apply to Student Finance England at for: • a student loan for fees (to help with tuition fees so you do not have to pay up front) • a maintenance loan to help with living costs. You may also get extra help towards the cost of supporting dependants, or if you have a disability.

yourself in financial hardship, call in to Student Services to find out whether there is any other help available. Please note: if you cannot pay your fees or any other costs for which you are liable, it is important that you seek advice from us as soon as possible. If you do not, we may take disciplinary and/or legal action, and you may be prevented from enrolling on future courses.

DISABLED STUDENTS’ ALLOWANCES FOR HIGHER EDUCATION Disabled Students’ Allowances provide extra financial help if you have a long-term health condition, a mental health condition or a specific learning difficulty like dyslexia. The amount you get depends on your individual needs and not your income. Disabled Students’ Allowances are paid on top of the standard student finance package, and don’t have to be paid back - they are grants to help meet the extra course costs students can face as a direct result of a disability, long term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty. They are aimed at helping disabled students to study on an equal basis with other students. Full-time, part-time and postgraduate higher education students can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances.

BUDGETING Managing your student loan can often be difficult. If you are having problems budgeting or find yourself in debt our student finance team may be able to help you plan your finances or advise you about other sources of help.

The Student Loans Company (SLC) pays maintenance loans into your bank account, and any help you have been given with fees goes direct to your higher education institution. Once you have enrolled the SLC will ask us to confirm your enrolment to release the payments – you do not have to do anything.


If you are on a part-time higher education course, you can apply to Student Finance England at for help with tuition fees in the form of a non-means tested loan.


If you have applied for all the help to which you are entitled and still find

You may be entitled to free prescriptions, dental treatment and sight tests, depending on income. Please contact Student Services and ask for an HC1 form.

If you want a bit of peace and quiet or simply a place to relax and eat your lunch, at our Cauldwell Street campus and Shuttleworth College campus we have a HE student common room which is open during College hours.

Undergraduate Student Handbook 2017-18  

Bedford College

Undergraduate Student Handbook 2017-18  

Bedford College