Issuu on Google+

Rebecca Fisk U1251573029 TID1162-1314 Graphic Design - Professional Practice


TAXONOMY The thirty objects that I collected for my taxonomy were vintage maps that I found at the Huddersfield second hand market. My main aim for the project was to get across in a design sense, just how beautiful these maps are, and highlight some of the interesting features within them. This is where the idea to make sample booklets came in; I debated whether I could just have a few booklets, one with typography, one with colours and one with map samples. However I established that the best way of showing the beauty of all the maps would be to have one booklet per map. After creating many different tests for the booklets, I settled on a fixing and a material for printing. Once the booklets were created, I photographed all of the booklets together, showing both the front covers and inside pages. I named the objects the ‘Macfarlane Collection’; this was after the previous owner of the maps Mr Macfarlane, his handwriting features in some of the map booklets. Overall, I think my work have been very effective in satisfying the brief, the main aim was to have a graphical outcome from the objects. I think this aim was satisfied well as my objects show all the best features of the maps as well as giving the viewer a good sense of history, as some of the maps date back to 1930’s.


PROJECT OUTCOMES https://www.flickr.com/photos/124364834@N06/sets/72157644134892527/ (Link to all high quality images)


PROJECT OUTCOMES


PROJECT OUTCOMES


PROJECT OUTCOMES


PROJECT OUTCOMES


DEVELOPMENT My 30 objects (vintage maps)


DEVELOPMENT Sample book moodboard


DEVELOPMENT Materials and processes - testing different materials to see which is best for printing.


DEVELOPMENT

First attempts at making the booklets, using two different fixings, established the split ring was best, but needed a smaller one.


DATA VISUALISATION For this project I started with a complex set of data, which was my family tree. It had over 2000 individuals details in the database, ranging from the 1700’s to present day. My aims for the project were to find a way of visualising my family members in an interesting way. I decided to narrow this down to my direct family only. However, through the research and testing process I struggled to find a way of representing the data in something other than an infographic. This led me to the decision to create an app that would take the static data in the database, and create live real time data. The app would allow you and your family members from across the globe to log in and interact with each other. The features would include being able to see the location of your family members at any given time via their GPS. Have live updates on family member’s status e.g. busy/at work. Message your family members that are online. Get data visualisations of your movements through the day/week/month, and have an up to data address book that would update whenever a family member changes their details. Overall, the app fulfils its purpose of taking the data I already had and making it real time, useful data. My final outcomes were mock ups of the app, how the interface would work etc. and advertisements for the app. I chose to name my app Gaggle in relation to having a group of people or a family.


PROJECT OUTCOMES https://www.flickr.com/photos/124364834@N06/sets/72157644552940044/ (Hyperlink to high quality images)


PROJECT OUTCOMES


PROJECT OUTCOMES


DEVELOPMENT

Early attempts at data visualisations/family trees.


DEVELOPMENT Moodboard


DEVELOPMENT Initial landing page sketches.


DEVELOPMENT

Changes to the logo to round off the edge of the ‘G’ due to it looking like it was not in line.


D&AD COMPETITION BRIEF TELL DON’T SELL This competition brief was all about telling a story or showing a journey that is personal to you. This is why I based my project on one of my own personal struggles, a sports injury. I have had three knee surgeries due to one sports injury. My main aim of this project was to show the difficult and time consuming journey I have been on, and express the emotion that is attached to it, but also my devotion to sport. I tested many different ways of showing my personal ‘strive’ through sport, which included creating 3D lettering, hand stencilled typography and body painting. Eventually I established through testing that the body painting of the injury were my best way of showing my journey. The images submitted describe two different sections of my physical recovery, the first being the ruptured ligament injury. This is shown with a dramatic style of painting on the leg, photographed with crutches. The second image is describing post-surgery recovery. Strive is a driving force in the imagery, and a keyword for the project overall. I have used strive as a positive influence on the project. I wanted there to be a feeling of hope, the hope that eventually I will get back to sport. I feel there is also room to progress this project into visualising other people’s stories and injuries. Overall I feel this project suitably describes a very personal journey, and has allowed me to express that within an artistic environment. I think it has effectively satisfied the brief and I think it is definitely my best project of the year.


PROJECT OUTCOMES

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124364834@N06/sets/72157644135042517/ (Hyperlink to high quality images)


DEVELOPMENT Moodboard


DEVELOPMENT

Final outcomes of 3D lettering testing, established it didn’t fit the theme was well, thought it to be better suited to sports advertising.


DEVELOPMENT


DEVELOPMENT

Images from testing the hand stenciled typography onto a karate gi, again didn’t fit the theme as well as the body paint.


DEVELOPMENT

First few attempts at painting the injury before creating the final two images.


Rebeccafisk u1251573029 tid1162 1314