Issuu on Google+

Council Meeting January 10, 2005 Executives:

Ashley Steier, VP Finances & Administration Karen Leung, VP Public Relations & Marketing Navdeep Manchanda, Man., Mech., & Process Energy & Natural Res. Chair Owen Fu, Business Chair Misaki Kobayashi, Transportation and Construction Chair Susie Da Silva, VP of Student Affairs Sarah Ellis, VP Campus Life

Staff:

Zoe Bake-Paterson, The Link Caroline Gagnon, Director

Councillors:

Amy McLaughlin Johanthan Vanderheyden Katharine Scotton Peter Kapela Margareta Swacryndon James Webster Brad Barrett Julia Johnston Fred Almamooqi

Guests:

Chris Pattullo, CIPS

Excused:

Erin Smith, President Fred Haiderzada, Electrical / Electronics & CST Chair Heather Thompson Megan Chambers

Robert Scales Shannon Roberts Jennifer Leaman Lee-Ann Banfield Paolo Alonzo Bob Yuen Tara Perret Randy Cavanagh

Kayla Read Luke Achtem Ian Sanderson Raj Dhillon Damien Dilbert

8.1.

Meeting Called to Order The meeting was called to order by the Chairperson, Ashley Steier, at 5:57 pm. (24 voting members)

8.2.

Acceptance of the Agenda It was moved by Misaki Kobayashi and seconded by Karen Leung that the agenda of January 10, 2005 be accepted as presented. Carried

1


8.3.

Acceptance of the Minutes from AGM November 22, 2004 It was moved by Susie Da Silva and seconded by Sarah Ellis that the minutes of November 22, 2004 be accepted as distributed. 24/0/0 Carried

8.4. Guest Speakers No guest speaker. 8.5

General Reports Executive & Director

Misaki Kobayashi, Transportation and Construction Chair • As per progress report. • Will be working with the U-connect staff on the content for the Student Professional Day portion. Karen Leung, VP Public Relations and Marketing • As per progress report. Ashley M. Steier, VP Finance and Administration • As per progress report. Erin Smith, President- Read by Ashley • Several fundraising events for the Tsunami victims are looked at. • A new Chair of Health should be appointed this coming week. • BCGEU will strike tomorrow at Burnaby only. Classes will be cancelled. For further information on class closure, contact the BCIT website. SA operations will be opened as usual. • Tutoring program had to be cancelled due to overwhelming demand and lack of available fund. Funding options are being looked at. Navdeep Manchanda, Man., Mech., & Process Energy and Natural Res. Chair • As per progress report. Owen Fu, Business Chair • As per progress report. Sarah Ellis, VP Campus Life • Rec. Services are holding the faulty tower competition on January 19. Early registration is $20 and $30 thereafter. • Discount lift tickets are still available for Seymour and Whistler. • Safe Sex Week is organized for February 14 to 18. Events such as speed dating and Sue Johanson have been organized. • Working on Orientation at other campuses. Orientation sessions are scheduled on April 4 and 8. Suisie Da Silva, VP Student Affairs ƒ As per progress report. 8.6 Progress Report See attached. 8.7. ƒ

Questions Period (5 min.) Sarah would like to know why snow had not been removed from the parking lots. Susie has already talked to BCIT about snow clearance. They confirmed that it should usually take place, but will let her know why it was not done. Also, signage was supposed to be in placed informing students on how to pay for parking when parking lots are full of snow, and numbers

2


ƒ ƒ ƒ ƒ ƒ ƒ

are impossible to see. Councillors confirmed that signage is not everywhere. Susie will look into this issue. Sarah would like to know if the “bait car” banner would be more efficient if it was outside where thieves can actually see it. Susie confirmed that the sign was planned to be outside and should be moved shortly. One councillor states that a friend’s car was shot on Halloween. Susie will bring this matter to Safety and Security. Jennifer asked a bout the statement on Daycare. Caroline stated that a joint effort with the FSA will be brought forward the BOG to inform them about the feasibility of such venture. A councillor would like to see a self-defence class during the Pro-D day. Owen inquires if all Burnaby campus evening classes will also be cancelled during the BCGEU job action. It is confirmed that yes, they will be cancelled. Following Misaki’s report on field trip, many councillors express their experience on this issue. The field trip organization depends on the Schools.

8.8. Unfinished Business No unfinished business. 8.9. New Business No new business. 8.10. Next Meeting Next meeting is scheduled for January 31, 2005 at 5:45pm. 8.11. Meeting Adjourned It was moved by Sarah Ellis and seconded by Karen Leung that the meeting be adjourned. (6:35 pm) 24/0/0

Carried

3


BCIT Student Association MONDAY, January 10, 2005 AGENDA

8.1.

Meeting called to order

8.2.

Acceptance of the Agenda

8.3.

Acceptance of the Minutes from November 22, 2004

8.4.

Guest Speakers

8.5.

General Reports: Executive

8.6.

Progress Reports

8.7.

Question Period (5 min.)

8.8.

Unfinished Business 8.8.1. 8.8.2. 8.8.3.

8.9.

New Business 8.9.1. 8.9.2. 7.9.3.

8.10.

Next Meeting – January 31, 2005

8.11.

Meeting adjourned

4


5


SA EXECUTIVE PROGRESS REPORTS FOR January 10, 2005 Executive

Date of Introduction

Action or Outstanding Issue

Fred

November 22, 2004

Industrial Microwaves / microwave survey’

Fred

January 4, 2005

Orientation

Misaki

November. 17 2004

Tech rep meeting

Misaki

November, 18 2004

Tobacco control strategy

Misaki

January 4, 2005

Orientation

Sarah

October, 2004

Business Committee

Sarah

November, 2004

Safe Sex Week

Sarah

September 2004

Bridge the Gap

Sarah

December 2004

Holiday Hampers

Sarah

January 2005

Valentines Blind Dating

Status Gathering info. Work in progress Represented the BCITSA at the Trades Orientation at the Gym Completed Got words from Ottawa that the BCIT project has received Ministerial approval and has been signed off. Waiting for the meeting on the 20th. Represented the BCITSA at the Trades Orientation at the Gym Will be meeting soon this month. I will be meeting with Michael to continue discussions on this soon. Sex week has been scheduled for February 14 to 18. All activities mainly in the Great Hall. Speed dating is scheduled for February 14, while Sue Johansen is scheduled on February 2nd. Tickets will be on sale for $10.. The goal will be to introduce students from all campuses about the SA and its services. It is scheduled for April 4 to 8th. It will be a great opportunity to receive feedback from the student population. If people have ideas, please contact Sarah. Thank you everyone for all of your generous donations. Because of your donations we were able to help a family enjoy their holidays even more! The Link newspaper is planning on doing a story on different blind dates that they have sent students on. I have been asked to begin looking for people. Please let people know of this, and if anyone is interested in finding out more, please contact me directly.

6


Sarah

January 2005

Orientation Planning for next year

Ashley

September 15,2004

Student Initiative Fund

Ashley

November 18, 2004

Elections

Ashley

November 18, 2004

Sea Island Campus

Ashley

January 4, 2005

Orientation

Erin

July 2004

Contracts

Erin

July 2004

Technology Upgrades

Erin

September 2004

Child Care Facilities

Erin

October, 2004

BCGEU

Erin

November, 2004

Various Issues

Erin

November, 2004

Tech/Set Rep Contact Info.

November 10, 2004

Building Hours

November 19, 2004

Amendments to the C&B

Erin

Erin

Provided Scott & Jim Mitchell with my new schedule so that we can set up a meeting time to discuss next years Orientation. I will provide updates as necessary. In the process of wrapping up the guidelines. Waiting for feedback from President. Should finalize in the next few weeks. Elections are fast approaching. Please help recruit and consider running for positions. Working with Controller to analyze their financial situation. Planning a trip to meet their representatives. Represented the BCITSA at the Trades Orientation at the Gym Reviewing all existing contacts with BCIT. Met with Lawyers. Creating agenda and meeting schedule that will take us probably into the New Year. On-going Completed – Testing internally. The BCITSA will make a joint statement with the FSA to the Board of Governors February 1, 2005. The most current information will be posted on the BCIT website. (there is a hotlink to this page directly on the BCIT SA homepage. Provided BCIT with a list of maintenance and facilities needs. Have had a report back from Facilities and 90% of the concerns have been addressed. Some just still to be completed. Requested the e-mail list from Tony Tanner. Compiling all the hours that Buildings are open/closed and what classrooms and labs are available. This has become a tedious project but is soon to be completed. Library hours were extended over the exam period and it was very successful. BCIT is looking at permanent changes for the future. Need to update the C&B to address the re-naming of the Schools. The following Chair titles have been recommended.

7


After being published twice on the Link, Council will vote to accept these titles so the C&B can then be amended. School of Business School of Transportation, Construction and the Environment School of Manufacturing, Electronics and Industrial Processes School of Health Sciences School of Computing and Academic Studies To see the breakdown of programs see: http://www.bcit.ca/about/schools.shtml Erin

November 17, 2004

Councilors and Tech Reps

Susie

September

Parking

Susie

September

Tuition

Susie

Ongoing

Owen

November 24, 2004

Clubs

Proposing a procedure to be impended between both BCITSA, BCIT and FSA in regards to electing, promoting and gathering contact information for these positions for September 2005. Met with BCIT parking and security and brought forth the major issues discussed Presented them with my letter with a more detailed list of concerns They agreed to come to a council meeting to discuss problems Will hopefully be set up for the next meeting I have heard that there is a crime and safety day coming up and I will update with more details as soon as I get them BCIT admin also said they would be willing to hold a meeting about tuition fees (specifically practicum related increases) Working on the logistics of that have been meeting with Scott about clubs and developed a comprehensive clubs package with information form starting a club to day to day operations will be taking it to current clubs for input and should be finalized by the end of January/early February Meeting was done! 1. Some instructors weren’t in their offices during the office hour.

Business Council Meeting 2. Students prefer some practical practice in the class; they don’t really the computer course learning format.

8


- Developing tactics to market BCITSA - Reviewed vending and advertising policy - 13 students/student families benefited; hampers delivered on Dec 15 - $1850 raised for Emergency Food Fund

Karen

October 2004

Marketing Committee

Karen

November 4, 2004

“Gift of Choice� Holiday Campaign

Karen

November 3, 2004

Alumni Mingler

Navdeep

December 6, 2004

Lack of recycling bins in SW1 & SW2

In process

Navdeep

December 06, 2004

Transportation to field trips in various programs

In process

Navdeep

December 06, 2004

Inquiry about Scramble lab

- Meeting slated for Jan 12

The scramble lab is located in SW3 and it is room 2770. students in the scramble lab can not see what the teacher is doing and have to figure it out just by listening to the instructions instead of also being able to see the teacher go through it.

9


7 Minutes Jan 10 05