Page 1

BCIT Student Association Council Meeting Minutes November 3, 2003 Present: Executives:

Samantha Yeung, President Erin Smith, VP Finances & Administration George Nicolaou, VP Student Affairs Elfina Luk, VP Campus Life Renee Geronimo, VP Public Relations & Marketing Deep Thind, Man., Mech., & Process Energy & Natural Res. Chair Michael Klein, Electrical / Electronics & CST Chair Jamie Higgins, Transportation / Construction Chair Angelia Harris Gray, Business/ Health Chair Anthony Vanderhoek, Chair of Trades

Councilors:

Jeanneth Jacome Aharon Arnstein Ariane Saunders Nathan Mahan Teddy Diress Bhu Bains Mike Mui

Staff:

Caroline Gagnon

Absents:

Julie Win Ben Lytwyn

Michael Kahn Paul Condon Mona David Tallis Stevenson Brent Cote Woon Manning Sarah Ellis

Matt Fitzmaurice

5.1. Meeting Called to Order The meeting was called to order by the Chairperson, Samantha Yeung, at 5:55pm. (25 voting members) 5.2. Acceptance of the Agenda It was moved by Michael Klein and seconded by Deep Thind that the agenda of November 3, 2003 be accepted with the following changes: To add in “Unfinished Business� 5.8.1. Sanctioned Club Funding Recommendations Carried 25/0/0 5.3. Acceptance of the Minutes It was moved by Renee Geronimo and seconded by Elfina Luk that the minutes of October 20, 2003 be accepted as read; Carried 23/0/2 5.4. Guest Speakers No guest speakers 1


5.5.

Reports Executive & Director

Samantha Yeung, President • She was part of the selection committee for the hiring of the BCIT VP Student Services. The selection has been made, and the formal announcement will be done at a later date. • The BCIT Administration and BCITSA Executives have met to address various issues, which one was parking. The change to use loonies was made to improve security following the break-in of significant number of machines. • She has been dealing with various student issues. Erin Smith, VP Finances & Administration • She has been working on the Fashion Show, scheduled this Friday at 10:45 am and 11:45 am. She is still looking for 1 female and 1 male. Please contact Erin. Volunteers are also needed to set up the stage and decorations. • For the last 2 years, the VPs Finance & Finance have been working to acquire some furniture for student all over campus. Erin is glad to announce that all furniture has been received and distributed. • The BCITSA AGM has been scheduled for December 1st at 5:30 pm. George Nicolaou, VP Student Affairs • Alcohol Awareness Week went very well. Thank you to all that have help. Elfina Luk, VP Campus Life • She is still working on climbing wall. • The international event has been scheduled for November 18 from 12:00 – 2:00 pm. If anyone has any ideas please contact Elfina directly. • Canucks Super Skill Event is December 7; all proceeds go to the Canucks Place. Tickets are available for $5.00. • Canadian Idol, Karen-Lee Batten, will be on campus on November 26 from 1:00 to 4:00pm at SE40. • Disney on Ice is also available. We need 20 students to benefit from group discount. • Comedy night was very successful. Renee Geronimo, VP Public Relations & Marketing • She is still working on the Alumni mingler. The date might be changed. • A Christmas food bank will be organized in conjunction with BCITAMA. Donations will go to the Loving spoonful organization. Deep Thind, Man., Mech., & Process Energy & Natural Res. Chair Noting to report • Nothing to report. Jamie Higgins, Transportation / Construction Chair • She is still working on the trades auction.

2


Michael Klein, Electrical / Electronics & CST Chair • Nothing to report. Angelia Harris Gray, Business/ Health Chair • Nothing to report. Anthony Vanderhoek, Chair of Trades • Nothing to report. 5.6. Progress Report • No progress report. 5.7. Question Period • Parinder, the SA event coordinator, is looking for volunteers for the Sue Johanson presentation. If anyone is interested, please contact Parinder directly. 5.8.

Unfinished Business

5.8.1. Sanctioned Club Funding Recommendations - George George goes over the information page distributed. The numbers have changed from the last meeting given new information. More funds were allocated during last year’s budget. George proposed the following: Motion: Be it resolved that BCIT Student Association gives club funding as follow: BCITMA -$2500; ACE - $2200; AIM - $1200; IEEE -$1500; and Toaster Master - $750. Moved by: George Nicholaou Seconded by: Deep Thind 22/0/3 Carried Angelia wants to keep in mind that Toaster Master might need an increase in following years due to the cost of living. George states that the group has requested only $750 and do not need more. Angelia wants to know what will be the use of the residual funds if no other clubs are funded. These clubs could apply for more funds in case of emergency. Aharon wants to know if these clubs have received the same or more money from last year. George confirms that yes; all clubs will receive more money for the exception of Toast Master. Erin inquires about the $1000 increase to IEEE given their ability to obtain sponsorship. George believes that as a first year, they should be supported. Funding can be reevaluated next year following their activities’ report. 5.9. New Business No new business

3


5.10 Further Business No further business 5.11. Next Meeting Next meeting is scheduled for November 17, 2003 at 5:45pm. 5.12. Meeting adjourned It was moved by Rene Geronimo and seconded by Elfina Luk that the meeting be adjourned. (6:25 pm) Carried

4

5 CouncilMeetingminutesNov3-03  

Absents: Julie Win Ben Lytwyn 5.1. Meeting Called to Order The meeting was called to order by the Chairperson, Samantha Yeung, at 5:55pm. (2...

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you