Page 1

Council Meeting April 11, 2005 Executives:

Ashley Steier, VP Finances & Administration Karen Leung, VP Public Relations & Marketing Susie Da Silva, VP of Student Affairs Sarah Ellis, VP Campus Life Navdeep Manchanda, Manufacturing, Electronics and Industrial Process Chair Misaki Kobayashi, Transportation, Construction & the Environment Chair Fred Haiderzada, Computing & Academic Studies Chair Shannon Roberts, Health Sciences Chair Robert Scales, Business Chair

Staff:

Caroline Gagnon, Director

Councillors:

Katharine Scotton Peter Kapela Julia Johnston Farzan Almamooqi Heather Thompson Raj Dhillon Ian Sanderson Simon Parada

Guests:

Grace Budiono

Excused:

Erin Smith, President Amy McLaughlin

Margareta Swacryndon Caitlyn Corrigal

Absent:

Jonathan Vanderheyden Paolo Alonzo

Megan Chambers Damien Dilbert

Lee-Ann Banfield Robert Yuen Tara Perret Randy Cavanagh Kayla Read Rosalind Enktaiva Phil Stringer Jennifer Leaman

13.1. Meeting Called to Order The meeting was called to order by the Chairperson, Ashley Steier, at 5:45 pm. (25 voting members) 13.2. Acceptance of the Agenda It was moved that the agenda be accepted as distributed. Carried 13.3. Acceptance of the Minutes from March 11, 2005 It was moved by Misaki Kobayashi and seconded by Roberts Scales that the minutes of March 11, 2005 be accepted as distributed.


Carried 13.4. Guest Speakers No guest speaker. 13.5

General Reports Executives & Director • All executives go over their submitted report (see attached) • Shannon: Still waiting for some answers from BCIT administration on the name change and also on the tuition fee issue.

13.6 Progress Report See attached. 13.7.

Questions Period (5 min.) • A councillor proposes that the Canadian Red Cross come on campus. The CRC has informed the SA that they can not come to external locations. • Sarah informs Susie that the parking gate at NE1 was closed during the day. Susie states that all gates closes at 11:00pm, but will investigate this statement. • Jen states that there was some confusion about the set pictures. Ashley apologizes for the confusion. The company which has been contracted to provide this service, was going through some challenges of their own. Ashley informs Council that a price list for the grad pictures will be available on the website. • Tara would like to know if the off-site polling stations will be closed if we can not find enough volunteers. Ashley will inform the CRO, Erin Smith, of that comment.

13.8 Unfinished Business No unfinished business. 13.9. New Business No new business. 13.10. Next Meeting Next meeting is scheduled for April 25, 2005 at 5:45pm. 13.11. Meeting Adjourned It was moved by Sarah Ellis and seconded by Misaki Kobayashi that the meeting be adjourned. (6:10 pm) Carried


BCIT Student Association MONDAY, April 11, 2005 AGENDA

13.1.

Meeting called to order

13.2.

Acceptance of the Agenda

13.3.

Acceptance of the Minutes from March 21, 2005

13.4.

Guest Speakers:

13.5.

General Reports: Executive

13.6.

Progress Reports

13.7.

Question Period

13.8.

Unfinished Business 13.8.1. 13.8.2. 13.8.3.

13.9.

New Business 13.9.1. 13.9.2. 13.9.3.

13.10. Next Meeting – April 25, 2005 13.11. Meeting adjourned


BCITSA EXECUTIVE PROGRESS REPORTS FOR April 11, 2005 Executive

Date of Introduction

Action or Outstanding Issue

Status

Fred

April 7, 2005

Student Industry Night,

currently one speaker confirmed, one not found yet, and the last one cannot make it. (If Im not at the meeting then everything worked out and Im at the event :) Work in progress

Fred

April 7, 2005

Microwaves

Researched for different available microwaves as to the price quote we got from BCIT and Russel Foods. Done

Fred

April 7, 2005

Recruited Candidates and polling clerks

Done

Misaki

April, 4, 05

Tobacco control strategy

Misaki

April, 1, 05

Drafting tables

I have not seen the stalls they have ordered.

Misaki

April, 4, 05

New Councillor

1 new Councillors

Misaki

April, 7, 05

Election

Recruiting Volunteers

Sarah

October 2004

Business Committee

Will be meeting next week hopefully.

Sarah

September 2004

Bridge the Gap & Orientation Steering Committee (nxt. Year)

Will be meeting w/ Scott to finalize all plans for next year.

Sarah

February 2005

Elections Committee

Open House was last Wednesday. Everything went well. Reasonable number of people showed up. Was a good opportunity for people to be able to ask questions about the SA & various positions.

The meeting was on Monday

4


Time:

Sarah

February 2005

Rec Council

Quintathlon- Wednesday, April 27, 2005 2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Events:

CANOE, RUN, SWIM, MOUNTAIN BIKE

Teams:

7 members

Fee:

Early Bird (before April 6): $99 Regular (before April 19): $125 Late (after April 20): $140

Prizes:

1st Place $300 2nd Place $150 3rd Place $75 plus many other gift prizes! Based on 20 teams.

Ashley

September 15,2004

Student Initiative Fund

Done! Read it, use it, love it.

Ashley

February 15, 2005

Registration Education

Preparing presentation for Registration staff. Topics covered will be an introduction to the SA and the health and dental plan as well as answers to FAQ’s

Ashley

January 8, 2005

Admin issues/contract renewal

Working with lawyers to finalize a contract renewal.

Ashley

February, 2005

Health & Dental

Ashley

February, 2005

Health & Dental (2)

Ashley

March 1, 2005

Student Initiative Fund - Funding

Ashley

April 2, 2005

2005-2006 Budget

Erin

July 2004

Contracts

Erin

September 2004

Child Care Facilities

Erin

January, 2005

Elections Committee

Joined contract talks with Gallivan & Associates. Assisting Erin and Caroline. Maintaining student access to health and dental “networks”. Working with a rep from Kwantlen to ensure BCIT students still have discounted services available to them. Three applications processed, one initiative completed last month, two will be completed by mid may. 42 students in total are involved with these three initiatives. Reviewing the BCITSA budget with our controller. Budget will be tabled and voted on at the May 9th meeting. Reviewing existing contacts with BCIT & BCITSA. Met with Lawyers. Compiling binder of existing contracts. Next meeting for April 18. The BCITSA will make a joint statement with the FSA to the Board of Governors May 18, 2005. This has been re-scheduled again. POLLING CLERKS! We have lots of Candidates and should be a great election! Had Open House on the 6th. Went very well.

5


Erin

March, 2005

Health & Dental

Reviewing contract with G&A .

Erin

February, 2005

Professor Mugs Pub

Extension has been provided by the BOG until May 20 to address a couple concerns together with BCIT. The time needed to research and implement is needed. BCIT supports this and things are working in a positive manner.

Erin

February, 2005

Microwaves

Providing back-up for Fred, but he’s handling most of the work!

Erin

March 2005

Student Complaints

Continue to deal with one time student complaints and issues.

Erin

April 2005

Set & Grad Photos

Coordinated set photos (location, marketing, scheduling etc.) PICK UP SET PHOTOS AT Uconnect. Coordinating individual grad photos for the first week of May.

Erin

April 2005

Budget / Contracts

Reviewed budget and contracts with VP Finance

Susie

September 2004

Part-Time Classes

-

Investigating concern raised that part-time instructors are not required to meet with students outside of class time.

-

Trying to put a complete up to date package together for next year’s person to completely summarize what has been done to date and where it stands exactly.

Susie

September 2004

U-Pass

Susie

Ongoing

Clubs

Susie

March 2005

Policy 5002

Susie

Ongoing

Continuity Report

Karen

October 2004

Marketing Committee

- Wrapping up

Karen

February 2005

Elections Committee

- Will monitor candidates’ campaigning efforts

Karen

January 2005

Shinerama 2005

- Sponsorship with Michael: ongoing

-

Still in progress.

Still assisting in the review of the policy. -

Preparing for next year’s VPSA.

6


Karen

April 2005

Cut for the Cure

- Details to follow

Navdeep

March 31, 2005

Tech rep meeting

Discussed issues that students needed help with

Navdeep

March 31, 2005

Set Pictures

Quickly mentioned set pictures in main lecture on wed.

Navdeep

March 31, 2005

Finding polling clerks

Found two polling clerks

7


13 Council Meeting Minutes April 11, 2005  

13 Council Meeting Minutes April 11, 2005

Advertisement
Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you