Issuu on Google+

Homelessness in Arizona 2009 Last year an estimated 14,677 people were counted as being homeless in Arizona according to the 2009 statewide Point-in-Time survey. In Maricopa County alone, 60% of those requesting shelter are turned away.

 57% of those counted were living in emergency shelters or transitional housing.  The remaining 43% of homeless Arizonans were sleeping on the streets, in cars, or in other places unfit for human habitation.  54% of all homeless people across the state were living in Maricopa County.  Of the 6,360 people estimated in the Point-in-Time survey to be living on the streets:  82% were single adults.  An estimated 27% of people living on the street had a disabling condition and were classified as chronically homeless.  Of the 8,317 people counted in the 2009 survey who were homeless in shelters:  51% were single adults  32% were children age 17 or younger  17% were adults in families  21% reported domestic violence as a primary cause of their homelessness  36% of adults reported substance abuse as a cause of their homelessness  19% of adults reported having a Seriously Mentally Ill (SMI) diagnosis.  22% of single adults in emergency shelter were reported as chronically homeless.  3,997 formerly homeless persons reside in Permanent Supportive Housing  62% reside in Maricopa County  68% are single adults  75% adults reported having a SMI diagnosis. 21,377 school aged children were reported homeless by Arizona Department of Education’s Homeless School Liaisons in 2007/2008. For more information contact the Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness at 602-340-9393.


ď Ž The Urban Institute estimates that one in ten poor people experience at least one night of homelessness each year. The most recent (2007) US Census Bureau estimate of poverty in AZ shows approximately 912,000 in poverty (14.3% of total population). Applying this standard, as many as 91,000 children and adults may have experienced homelessness in Arizona this year.

For more information contact the Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness at 602-340-9393.


Homelessness in Arizona 2008

Last year an estimated 13,139 people were counted as being homeless in Arizona according to the 2008 statewide Point-in-Time survey.  59% of those counted were living in emergency shelters or transitional housing.  The remaining 41% of homeless Arizonans were sleeping on the streets, in cars, or in other places unfit for human habitation.  55% of all homeless people across the state were living in Maricopa County.  Of the 5,363 people estimated in the Point-in-Time survey to be living on the streets:  90% were single adults.  An estimated 33% of people living on the street had a disabling condition and were classified as chronically homeless.  Of the 7,776 people counted in the 2008 survey who were homeless in shelters:  49% were single adults  33% were children age 17 or younger  18% were adults in families  27% reported domestic violence as a primary cause of their homelessness  41% of adults reported substance abuse as a cause of their homelessness  24% of adults reported having a Seriously Mentally Ill (SMI) diagnosis.  30% of single adults in emergency shelter were reported as chronically homeless.  3,811 formerly homeless persons reside in Permanent Supportive Housing  64% reside in Maricopa County  68% are single adults  82% adults reported having a SMI diagnosis 21,377 school aged children were reported homeless by Arizona Department of Education’s Homeless School Liaisons in 2007/2008.  The Urban Institute estimates that one in ten poor people experience at least one night of homelessness each year. Applying this standard, as many as 88,000 children and adults may have experienced homelessness in Arizona this year.

For more information contact the Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness at 602-340-9393.


Homelessness in Arizona: 2006 A January 2005 point-in-time survey conducted during a 5 hour time period showed 12,264 homeless individuals in Arizona. This number represents only those visible on streets or currently in emergency shelter. Estimates show that the actual number is probably closer to 20,000 – 30,000.

Current State of Homelessness in Arizona:  8% of people in poverty, or 66,400 Arizonans, will experience homelessness at least once per year (based on 2004 census data)  Families with children comprise about 40% of people who are homeless  281 families a day are turned away from shelters due to lack of capacity  23% of homeless individuals are living with severe and persistent mental illness  As of September 19, 2005, School Homeless Liaisons identified 17,350 school children grades K-12 in Arizona as homeless. In AIMS testing, homeless children averaged 32 points lower in reading and 27 points lower in math than their housed peers.  Veterans make up 11.5% of all adults in emergency shelter and transitional housing programs statewide.  36% of homeless family members (including men, women, children, and youth under the age of 18) have a history of domestic violence.

Snapshot of a Homeless Family: Single mother with an infant and a preschool age child  Must earn $14.93/hour or $31,049/year to afford a two bedroom apartment at the fair market rent  At minimum wage, this mother would need to work 116 hours a week to afford housing 

“. . .picture a sick, frightened, hungry child with no place to call home…this is the new face of homelessness.” Alvin F. Poussaint, M.D. National Center on Family Homelessness

Contributing Factors: 6 of 10 industrial sectors (63% of all Arizona’s jobs) have an annual salary below the US average of $29,245  805,000 Arizonans are uninsured (2000)  1/3 of women, children and youth in shelter reported coming from a domestic violence situation (includes only self reports -- actual number is probably significantly higher)  Housing prices are rising rapidly in Arizona, with the average home resale value increasing 70% between June 2004 and June 2005. Wages have not kept up, and the gap between income and housing costs is growing wider. 

For more information, please contact: Jacki L. Taylor, Executive Director 602-340-9393 or jtaylor@azceh.org


Homelessness in Arizona 2005 Current State of Homelessness in Arizona: 22,000 people are estimated to be homeless on any given night 8% of people in poverty, or 66,400 Arizonans, will experience homelessness at least once per year (based on 2004 census data) Families with children comprise about 40% of people who are homeless 281 families a day are turned away from shelters due to lack of capacity 23% of homeless individuals are living with severe and persistent mental illness During the 2004-2005 school year, School Homeless Liaisons identified 17,237 school children in Arizona as homeless. In AIMS testing, homeless children averaged 32 points lower in reading and 27 points lower in math than their housed peers.

Snapshot of a homeless family: “. . .picture a sick, frightened, hungry child with no place to call home…this is the new face of homelessness.” Alvin F. Poussaint, M.D. National Center on Family Homelessness Single mother with an infant and a preschool age child Must earn $14.93/hour or $31,049/year to afford a two bedroom apartment at the fair market rent At minimum wage, this mother would need to work 116 hours a week to afford housing

Contributing Factors: 6 of 10 industrial sectors (63% of all Arizona’s jobs) have an annual salary of below US average of $29,245 805,000 Arizonans are uninsured (2000) 1/3 of women, children and youth in shelter reported coming from a domestic violence situation (includes only self reports -- actual number is probably significantly higher) Housing prices are rising rapidly in Arizona, with the average home resale value increasing 70% between June 2004 and June 2005. Wages have not kept up, and the gap between income and housing costs is growing wider.


Homelessness in Arizona Over the Years