Castles, stately homes, churches and chapels in and around Klagenfurt, "The Rose of Lake Wörthersee" 1 Viktring Monastery The former Cistercian monastery (the name is assumed to derive from the Celtic "Vitrin", German "Knüttelfeld" = field of cudgels, where evil spirits were chased away with wooden cudgels during Celtic times, first mentioned between 850-890 A.D.) was founded by Count Bernhard von Spanheim in 1142 and settled from the
monastery at Villars (German name: Weiler Bettnach) in Lorraine. During the Middle Ages, the monastery was among the richest in Carinthia. Its most famous abbot, Johann von Viktring († 1345) is one of
the great historians of the period. During the second half of the 15th century, numerous fortification structures were erected in order to protect the monastery against the Turks, for instance the prelacy that was turned into a gate tower (today the parish courtyard with Neo-Gothic alterations). The moats and ponds most likely also derive from that period. The other parts of the monastery, such as the two 3-storey arcades and the massive south façade that stretches over a length of 130m and has 36 window axes, originate from the first half of the 18th century (commissioned by abbot Benedikt Mulz). The original Marienbrunnen fountain dating from 1675 is located in the south-western corner of Marienhof courtyard. The arcade courtyard is situated east of the Marienhof. The interior of the monastery has some excellent stucco decorations, for instance by Kilian Pittner (1728) in the Barocksaal (the former refectory). He also designed the library (today the Freskensaal) with its lunette vault and frescoes by Tyrolean painter Johann Gfall from around 1765. The monastery was dissolved in 1785. Two years later, the Moro brothers set up a cloth factory there that was in existence until 1967. This is where Thomas Koschat was born as the son of a master cloth dyer in 1845. In later life, Koschat's compositions in the Carinthian idiom created important impulses for Carinthian folk music. The Moro family were generous patrons of the arts, as witnessed by the "Viktring Artists' Circle", which produced landscape painters Markus Pernhart, Ludwig Willroider and Karl Truppe. After the cloth factory went bankrupt, the monastery building became the property of the Republic of Austria. Extensive repair works were necessary before a Gymnasium (grammar school) with a special emphasis on music and art could be set up in the building in 1977. The Viktring Music Forum, which takes place every sum-
mer, is a high-profile artistic event with international master classes and a composition award that not only attracts students. The former collegiate church "Mariä Himmelfahrt" became a parish church in 1786. The Romanesque barrel-vaulted column basilica (the monastery was consecrated in 1202) reflects the Cistercian architectural style of Clairvaux (Fontenay II). The preserved vault pattern is unique in Austria. In 1843, the western half of the church was dismantled by master builder Domenico Venchiarutti. The choir windows (around 1400) with more than 50 preserved glass panels are particularly remarkable. They are believed to derive from the famous Herzogswerkstatt workshop in Vienna. The middle window depicts a benefactor couple (Bernhard von Pettau with his wife) and the Passion of Christ. The north-eastern window shows scenes from the life of Mary, the south-eastern window features images of the disciples, some of them with inscriptions, and the coats of arms of benefactors. From an art-historical point of view, the 5-storey high altar that reaches a height of 16m is also remarkable. It features a group of figures portraying the coronation of the Virgin Mary and is the earliest surviving Baroque monumental altar in Carinthia (1622). In 1991, high-quality frescoes preserved on 40 panels were discovered in the Bernhardkapelle, representing a multifaceted Cistercian glorification of Mary and a "view of heaven" (around 1500). The Baroque altar with its differently coloured types of marble is also notable, as is the park with its ancient tree population that is located at the moat. Guided tours through the monastery are available in July and August.
3 Zigguln Castle This castle was built by Jesuits from Klagenfurt in the mid-17th century. It was first mentioned
7 Hornstein Castle (Krumpendorf) Massive quadratic 2-storey building from the 15th century with two diagonally placed, round corner towers with conical roofs. Round-arched, rustic
in a document as a small farmstead in 1547 and became the property of Gottfried Ebner von Ebenau in 1828. The pretty rustic portal made of green chlorite slate is the only piece of masonry preserved from the original building. The 3-story south-eastern wing has a front building with 5 axes and an iron balcony. Private property. Visits are subject to prior arrangement.
4 Freyenthurn Castle Renaissance castle with originally fortress-like structure, first mentioned in 1541, built by
stone portal with double coat of arms (Sterneck-Dickmann) from the 17th century. Private property.
8 Hallegg Castle In 1213, "Heileke" ("seat of salvation") was mentioned as the seat of the Hallegg ministerial dynasty. The castle remained the property of this family until 1433. The brothers Haidenreich and Albert von Hallegg (family tomb in Viktring church) played important roles in the fortification of Klagenfurt in the 13th century. In 1546, the castle was converted by Moritz
Hans Angerer zu Freyenthurn, paymaster at the court of Ferdinand I. Was extended and renovated in Tudor style by architect Josef Bierbaum in 1884. Private property.
5 Schrot-Turm (Ammunition Tower) This building, also known as "Schrottenburg", derives its name from the tower that was
2 Maria Loretto Castle Maria Loretto Castle, a 2-storey rectangular structure with a high hipped roof is the property of the Provincial Capital of Klagenfurt. It was built by Count Johann Andrä von Rosenberg as a summer residence with spacious gardens in the Italian style in 1652. After a fire, only a simple version of the castle and Maria Loretto Chapel were restored in 1708. Roundarched portal with coat of arms and the inscription 1652. In the garden, a draw well with a wrought-iron crown from the first building period. South of the castle, in a slightly elevated location, the barrelvaulted Maria Loretto Chapel from 1658. Tabernacle with
quadratic arcade courtyard. Renovated in 1973. Private property.
built by the Rainer family between 1821 and 1824 and was used for the production of shotgun ammunition. The Mining Union of Bleiberg later bought the tower from the Rainer family, but production ceased in 1893. Until 1967, the tower was a popular destination for daytrips and also housed a restaurant. Today, it is an impressive industrial monument, but in need of restoration work after a fire in 2005. No visits possible.
Welzer. Viktor Welzer, in 1576, extended it into a Renaissance castle with two beautiful courtyards, the first one featuring 3-storey access balconies and a marble stone depicting a Roman scribe. The pentagonal arcade courtyard with Sgraffito decoration is situated within the building west of the first courtyard. Rittersaal (knight's hall) with coupled Renaissance windows and tablets bearing the inscriptions of Viktor Welzer and his wife Elisabeth Khevenhüller. Baroque chapel in the round tower, modified in the 19th century. A Roman quarry used to be situated near the castle. Hotel, open to the public in summer. A horse training school is situated south-west of the castle.
9 Seltenheim Castle Former medieval fortress, first mentioned in documents from 1193 and 1197, property of the Seltenheim dynasty (Middle High German: Saeldenhaim = home of happiness), later destroyed. Was extended into a castle by the Liechtenstein
6 Drasing Castle
4 illuminating angels, the Italian Loretto Madonna statue from 1652, and three interesting votive pictures from the 17th and 18th centuries. The castle can be viewed from the outside. A charming location on the shore of Lake Wörthersee: Restaurant Loretto
(Krumpendorf) First mentioned in a document from 1284. The 3-storey Renaissance building with a fortress-like structure was built in the 16th century. Beautiful
dynasty in the 15th century. Courtyard with 2-storey pillar arcades, Chapel of the Holy Trinity integrated in the north wing, built by Johann Friedrich von Windischgrätz in 1668, remarkable high altar. In the mid-19th century, Georg Kometter zu Trübein restored the ruined structure with great sensitivity to its historical origins. The Moser family initiated their
programme of revitalisation and renovation in the 1990s. No visits possible! Private property. Situated nearby is the golf course Klagenfurt-Seltenheim with an 18-hole Championship Course and a 9-hole Romantic Course (PAR 72) and riding facilities. South of Seltenheim Castle ST. ANDREAS CHURCH - SUBSIDIARY CHURCH SELTENHEIM Small, Gothic structure with a Romanesque core. Sturdy Romanesque western tower with round-arched belfry windows and embrasures. The longer route to Tentschach leads past two interesting churches: PARISH CHURCH St. Martin am Ponfeld Romanesque church with choir tower, first mentioned in a document from 1193, with a built vestibule. SUBSIDIARY CHURCH ST. LORENZ IN GROSSBUCH Choir tower structure with Romanesque core. Gothic interior with Baroque renovations. Rare organ from the early 19th century
10 Pitzelstätten Castle First mentioned as a medieval fortification in 1311. The name derives from the Old High German name "Putzili". Originally a fortress (14th century), then rebuilt in the 16th century as a nobleman's seat, rusticized socle storey, current façade from the 18th century. Two rooms with stucco ceilings from approx. 1740. In 1950, the castle became part of a College
for Agriculture and Nutrition Science and was modified accordingly. Bulky outbuilding in the north-east, with arrowslits and a sun dial dated 1529; the ground floor was formerly used as stables, today it houses a chapel that was set up in 1965 as part of the school. North-west of the castle you can visit one of the most beautiful granaries ("Trådkastn") in Carinthia. The castle is open for visitors.
later years, American composer and conductor Leonard Bernstein spent his holidays here (1975, 1977). Near the castle are an ancient Roman quarry
and a beautiful chestnut-lined avenue, as well as several oak trees aged between three and four hundred years. Private property. Visits are subject to prior arrangement and also possible when events are held at the castle. About 2.5 km north of the castle is the SUBSIDIARY CHURCH ST. PETER AM BICHL, first mentioned in a document from 1399. Romanesque choir tower with early Gothic extension. A 400-year old lime tree, the oldest tree in Klagenfurt, is situated nearby.
12 Ehrenbichl Castle Early Baroque two-storey building with a high hipped roof and triangular gables with a clock on the artificial terrace dating from the 17th century. Property of the Countess Beni-
gna Khevenhüller. One storey was added and the building given a new façade in the 18th century. Two rooms with interesting stucco decoration (Neo Baroque and Rococo) from around 1880. Free-standing chapel, built in 1778, with Roman gravestone. Subsidiary church of Karnburg. Private property. Holiday flats are available in the summer.
13 Emmersdorf Castle First mentioned in a document as "Zemradsdorf" in 1136. The strung-out building with a rectangular plan, 11 axes, protruding corner towers and a tower-like porch has undergone several disastrous renovation attempts.
1607, the debt-encumbered property was pawned to Anna Neumann von Wasserleonburg, at the time Freiin von Teuffenbach, who later became famous for her six marriages. In 1841, the building was altered by master builder Domenico Venchiarutti from Gemona for Thomas von Moro. In 1967, the Carinthian Hunting Society acquired the property.
18 Annabichl Castle Restaurant in the castle, zoo with free entrance in the spacious gardens (game reserve), several imposing grey poplars. ST. JAKOB D. ÄLTERE U. ST. ANNA – Lendorf subsidiary church First mentioned in a document in 1329, Romanesque choir tower with a pyramid-shaped pinnacle, Romanesque double belfry windows and embrasures, Gothic west portal.
Private property – visits are possible in the summer when events are held at the castle. South-west of Emmersdorf castle: SUBSIDIARY CHURCH ST. PAUL. First mentioned in a document in 1392, Romanesque choir tower church with Gothic choir, later "Baroquisized". On the route to Mageregg, visit the SUBSIDIARY CHURCH ST. BARTHOLOMÄUS in Tessendorf, a Romanesque building with Gothic windows dating from the 12th century.
14 Mageregg Castle Built in 1590 by Wolf Mager von Fuchsstadt, originally surrounded by moats, remains of which can still be found on the eastern side of the castle. In
Built between 1580 and 1587 by Provincial Governor Georg Khevenhüller as a summer residence for his second wife, Anna Turzo von Bethlenfalva (from a rich Upper-Hungarian family of goldsmiths) and named after her. South of the castle is the
15 Falkenberg Castle During the 16th century, this was a fief of Drasing Castle (mentioned in a document in 1569 and 1580). It was extended into a charming little castle with a remarkably high hipped roof and corner towers during the 17th and 18th centuries. The castle is open to the public. There is also a restaurant surrounded by forest.
16 Ehrenhausen Castle First mentioned as the property of the Hallegger family in
1314, originally poss. called Edlingerhof (Foußnitsch = Feschnig/city quarter). The building consists of 3 parts that were joined together. The south-east wing with its hexagonal tower (onion-shaped pinnacle) was built in the 16th century. The unostentatious three-storey west wing was built in the 17th century and features bays carried by consoles at the corners of its south-east façade.
11 Tentschach Castle First mentioned in a document as Stenzach, meaning "village situated at the 'Stena'" (rock face), which is where this medieval fortress from the 13th century held a dominating position. In the 16th century, it was extended into a Renaissance castle with 4 wings. 3-storey fortress-like structure with three massive round towers and a glazed arcade courtyard. Neo-Romanesque arch frieze from the 19th century below the roof seam. On the ground floor, St. Nikolaus Chapel from 1700. Pre-Romanesque symbol stone with crosses above the portal. In 1848, the property was taken over by Philippine von Kaiserstein who married Georg Gosch from Leipzig. One member of this dynasty made his servants practise his own funeral. During the Nazi regime, the castle was intended for the asylum of Benito Mussolini. In
(around 1760). Houses an Agricultural College for Home Economics since 1953. In 1988, the outbuilding was turned into an agricultural museum of the Province of Carinthia. Opening hours: May, September, October: 10am–4pm June, July, August: 10am–6pm
The youngest part of the structure (19th century) follows on the north side. Private property. No visits possible. Equestrian centre situated opposite.
late Baroque chapel dedicated to St. Anna. Arcade gallery on the ground floor. Façades were "Baroquisized" in the 18th century. The castle has retained its original ensemble effect despite extensive "Baroquisation" measures. The rectangular main building originally possessed a 2-storey, 5-truss arcade structure in the Upper Italian style facing the garden in the east. Today, only the lower floor of this structure remains. The hook-shaped outbuilding southwest of the main building has a Manneristic lion relief in the console on its outside staircase. In 1774, Archduchess Marianne, a daughter of Empress Maria Theresia, bought the castle as a summer residence. The charming structure dominates the access route to the provincial capital coming from the north. The historical terrace garden of Annabichl Castle (Renaissance/Baroque) is of great cultural-historical importance, its basic structures having survived to this day. Private property, the castle can be viewed from the outside.
19 Castle St. Georgen am Sandhof
Built by Hans Hausser (Haussen) in 1584. Extended into the Deutschordenskommende building (Order of Teutonic Knights) in the 17th century. The original building was fortified, with a rectangular plan and an open arcade loggia at the southwestern corner. In the 19th century, the St. Elisabeth chapel with the commemorative stone bearing the arms of erector Hans Hausser (1584) was charmingly altered. Renovated by the Commander of the
17 Ehrental Castle Nobleman's seat from the 17th century; strung-out, richly structured main façade, was renovated several times. A storey with triangular gables and a clock was added in the 18th century. On the first floor and the east hall stuccoed ceilings by Kilian Pittner (around 1720) and by Marx. J. Pittner in the west hall
Order of Teutonic Knights, Andreas von Staudach, in 1652. Remarkable altar from the second half of the 17th century.
Today a 4-star hotel, open to the public. The village of St. Georgen has several pleasant restaurants. St. Georgen am Sandhof parish church (early Gothic charnel house) First mentioned in a document in 1216, Romanesque core.
with 6 axes is an extension dating from 1919. Roundarched portal with memorial plate (Viktor Welzer) on the western side, with double coat of arms and triplet windows. The stucco decoration in the former chapel was created by Gabriel Wittini in 1680, the
20 Krastowitz Castle 3-storey building with a rectangular plan. Built in the early 18th century and altered in the 19th century in the historicizing style (Palladian Renaissance). Since 1957 property of the Chamber of Agriculture and Forestry; in 1964, a school building was added to set up a rural college for adult education (Dr. Arthur Lemisch), today a study centre of the Chamber of
decoration in the Kleine Saal by Kilian Pittner in 1725. The castle grounds feature a small-leaved lime that is over 300 years old and a tulip tree. Private property. Visits to the inner courtyard are subject to prior arrangement.
23 Ebenthal Castle
Agriculture of Carinthia. Several remarkable oak trees are located nearby. Guesthouse, open to the public. St. Ulrich - subsidiary church First mentioned in 1390, Gothic building. Gottschee memorial site since 1963.
(Ebenthal) 2-storey building dating from around 1566, built as a nobleman's seat for Christoph von Neuhaus. Named "Ebenthal" by Archduke Karl II in 1567. A storey was added and the structure altered in 1675. Property of the Counts of Goess since 1704. The family converted the castle to its present structure between 1735 and 1750. Large park with magnificent lime-tree avenue, which originally linked the castle to the town. Large
21 Herzoghof or Herzoghube Mansion Mansion-like building from the 19th century, former seat of the Herzogbauer (first mentioned in a document from 980 A.D. as Blasindorf, Slovenian: village of the Blag - the nobleman). The holder of this title had a unique role in the coronation of the Carinthian dukes. The Edlingbauer or Herzogbauer had the right to occupy the Fürstenstein (ducal stone) in Karnburg and to only leave the seat to the new sovereign once the Duke
had answered a set of questions to the Herzogbauer. The last such ceremony took place in Karnburg in 1414 for Duke Ernst the Iron (fresco by Fromiller in the Wappensaal/Landhaushof) with Herzogbauer Gregor Schatter. Private property. No visits possible.
Conveniently located hall (2nd floor) with mythological frescoes (Jupiter and Gods) by J. F. Fromiller from around 1748. Life-sized portraits by Peter Kobler in the family room. Private property. No visits possible.
24 Harbach Castle Nobleman's seat, mentioned in documents from 1213 and 1303 as Horbach ("horo" = Old High German for dung, slm. "hôrboch"). The original structure was significantly altered by conversions and extensions between 1893 and 1962 (north wing, west and east wing, construction of the church, additional storey). The castle frequently changed owners and was adapted as a rescue home for girls by the Elisabethinenverein in 1889, then taken over by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd in 1893. Today it is owned by the Deaconry of Carinthia.
22 Welzenegg Castle Nobleman' s seat that was given the name Welzenegg (today a city quarter) in a deed awarded by Archduke Karl on 18/01/1578. The castle was built in 1575 by Viktor Welzer von Eberstein. It is a 3-storey Renaissance building with four corner towers and a quadratic arcade courtyard with double the number of arcades on the upper storey and rich Sgraffito decorations, restored in an exemplary manner by the Schmid family. It makes an ideal subject for studying the local building culture of the Renaissance. The south wing
Tourismus Information Klagenfurt KLAGENFURT TOURISMUS RATHAUS, NEUER PLATZ, A-9010 KLAGENFURT Tel.: +43/463/537-2223, Fax: +43/463/537-6218 Internet: www.info.klagenfurt.at e-mail: email@example.com
Convent church Hl. Herz Jesu, modern construction from 1914-1918, round-arched windows, tooth frieze and pavilion ridge turrets. No visits possible. For more information about churches in Klagenfurt, consult our brochure "Kirchenwandern - Church Tours"!
Published by: Klagenfurt Tourismus Graphics: www.kaliandesign.com; Photographs: Johannes Puch Printed by: Kärntner Druckerei, Klagenfurt Printed on chlorine-free environmentally friendly paper Text: Dieter Jandl Selected literature: W. Deuer, Schlösser u. Edelsitze in Klagenfurt im 16. Jh.. Der herrschaftliche Repräsentativbau als Beitrag zur Hauptstadtwerdung. In: 800 Jahre Klagenfurt, Klagenfurt 1996, p. 189ff F. X. Kohla, G. A. v. Mettnitz, G. Moro, Kärntner Burgenkunde 1. u. 2. Teil, Klagenfurt 1973 Dehio – Dehio Handbook, Die Kunstdenkmäler Österreich, Kärnten. Adapted and edited by the department for inventorisation and monument research Vienna 2001,3.
For more information on Carinthian castles and stately homes, visit: www.villas-kaernten.at
A service provided by the Provincial Capital of Klagenfurt
COPY 0405 50040
10 Pitzelstätten Castle Agriculture of Carinthia. Several remarkable oak trees are loca- ted nearby. Guesthouse, open to the public. St. Ulr...