Page 18

From The Blog

W

ith the focus on ensuring stable supplies of power in many African countries, the benefits of maximising fuel efficiency are often overlooked. Fuel costs have increased over recent decades, and the need to maximise scarce resources means cogeneration or combined heat and power (CHP) technology is now getting the recognition it deserves.

Cogeneration maximises the energy in a fuel by utilising not only the electricity that is produced by the generator but also the surplus heat for localised use. About 45% of the energy in the fuel is converted to electricity, with 45% being converted to heat – either in the form of hot water, steam, or hot air for drying. If both heat and electricity are fully recovered the total fuel efficiency is about 90% meaning fuel,

18 Cogeneration and Distributed Power in Africa by A. Marshall

Aspire Africa | Issue 2.  

Committed to Promoting African Synergy. Featuring Ismail Ahmed, CEO & Founder, WorldRemit.

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you