Page 37

Adventure Travel

Travel Information / Advisory General: State Department Information - (202) 647-5225. Website: PASSPORTS AND IDENTIFICATION You need a current passport to travel to Peru. Should you need a new passport, start early! Routine service will usually take 6 weeks to process your application from the time it is received. Most Passport Acceptance Facilities (post office, municipal office, courthouse, library, etc.) can expedite the application process that will usually take 3 weeks from the time it is received. Below is our recommendation for renewing or getting a new passport. Passport Renewals If you need to renew your passport, fill out the State Department Passport Renewal Form DS-82 (which is available on the web at under “Renew Passport”), enclose your expired passport, two identical passport photos—2” x 2” with white background, and if your name has changed include a marriage certificate or court order. Determine current passport fee and write check to the “U.S. Department of State” and mail it all in (see mailing recommendations). To determine your eligibility for this easy renewal process, see if you can complete this checklist affirmatively: ü Already have a passport that is not damaged; and ü Received it within the past 15 years; and ü Were at least age 16 when it was issued; and ü Still have the same name as in passport (or you can legally document your name change). If you answered NO to any the statements above, you cannot renew by mail. You must follow the new passport procedure below. New Passports If you are applying for a new passport or answered NO to any of the questions listed under renewals, you need to fill out the State Department Passport Form DS-11 (also available on the web at under “First Time Applicants”). Then you must appear in person to a qualified agency: At the Passport Agent, you must submit your completed form unsigned, along with a certified birth certificate, photo I.D and two identical passport photos—2”x 2” with white background. Check current passport fees online. Consider taking your checkbook, since you may want to pay for guaranteed mail (see mailing recommendations). Mailing Recommendations Ascend Travel strongly recommends mailing your passport renewal or new request by guaranteed mail i.e. overnight, registered or at least certified. Also, it is very helpful to enclose a return overnight form—prepaid—addressed back to you. This will go a long way toward expediting the passport and guaranteeing its safe, speedy transport both directions. Expediting your Passport 27

Ascend Travel Expedition Leadership Manual  

Ascend Travel's Service Expedition Leadership Manual to Cusco, Peru. All the tools you need to organize a Humanitarian Service Expedition wi...

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you