Page 40

38 Academic Information

2012-2013 Academic Catalog

A grade of “I” denotes that course work has not been completed due to an unavoidable emergency (documentation may be requested). Delinquency or attending to church work or other employment does not constitute an unavoidable emergency. Without an approved “I,” a letter grade will be recorded based on grades received for completed work and an “F” grade assigned to incomplete work. Incomplete grades shall be removed one calendar month prior to the close of the following semester unless an earlier date is designated by the Office of the Registrar on the individual petition. If the work is not completed by the time designated, the “I” shall be changed to an “F” unless a passing grade can be given based on work already completed or unless special permission is granted by the Registrar. Professors are required to give either a grade or an “I,” if approved, to each student registered for credit in a course. Students with incompletes in two or more classes will not be allowed to enroll in a new semester or term without permission from the Registrar.

Independent research courses There are two forms of independent research: independent courses and independent studies. •

An independent course is an independent arrangement of a course currently listed in the academic catalog and completed outside of the classroom, as contracted between professor and student. Independent courses are registered with the catalog course number and are graded per the catalog course description. No required course in the curriculum may normally be taken as an independent course, and no independent course is allowed which duplicates a regular course offered in the same term.

An independent study is an independently arranged research course in a subject area or topic not covered by a course currently listed in the academic catalog. All M.Div. and M.A. independent studies are numbered 599, 699, 799. All D.Min. independent studies are numbered 899 and all Th.M. and Ph.D. independent studies are numbered 999 in the respective departments, and are graded credit/no credit.

An M.Div. or M.A. student must have completed 25 credit hours with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.75/4.00 before requesting permission to enroll in independent research. Normally, six independent research credit hours are allowed per degree. Independent research is normally to be completed on campus while school is in session. Independent research courses or studies are not correspondence courses. To count toward the degree residency requirement, independent research must be registered on a geophysical campus and include two face-to-face hours with the professor for each hour of credit to be earned. An independent research contract must be submitted for review and approval two weeks prior to the first day of the term, and registered no later than the end of the add/drop period. Only fully-approved contracts will be registered. Students will contract for a minimum of 48 hours of work (including research and consultation with the supervising professor) for every hour of credit to be earned. Consult the schedule of charges in the Financial Information section of this catalog for the per credit hour independent research fee. Consult the Advanced Research Programs catalog section, “Policy on Independent Courses and Independent Study for Th.M. and Ph.D.” for independent research specific to these degrees.

Lifelong learning The department of lifelong learning, under the auspices of the Beeson International Center for Biblical Preaching and Church Leadership, is committed to offering significant experiences to individuals and groups designed to expand ministerial vision, increase capacity and competency for ministry, enhance spiritual depth and bring about spiritual and personal renewal. These opportunities meet the educational and renewal needs for men and women in ministry to a rapidly-changing world. Conferences, workshops, seminars and other opportunities are offered on the Kentucky and Florida Dunnam campuses, as well as other locations around the nation. In addition, educational and renewal opportunities can be constructed to suit the needs of groups and organizations. Continuing education credit can be awarded in conjunction with department of lifelong learning initiatives on the basis of one continuing education unit per 10 contact hours. However, academic credit cannot be earned through these initiatives.

Academic Catalog  

The Academic Catalog of Asbury Theological Seminary 2012-2013

Academic Catalog  

The Academic Catalog of Asbury Theological Seminary 2012-2013