Page 52

e1132 – WHAT IS IT? All applications for housing within the UK are made using the e1132 form, which your soldier can access via the Defence Intranet. Go to uk/advice/housing for more.


Shuffling the surplus AFF Housing Specialist Cat Calder provides a timely reminder on the sublet programme and how it works… THERE are currently approximately 11,400 empty SFA in the UK – many are being held for the last remaining unit moves from Germany this summer, but others are simply in the wrong area for the needs of the military.


The aim is to create revenue from these empty properties

by renting them out to civilians on six-month tenancy agreements, subject to the usual checks. This will ensure better property maintenance, reduce vandalism and get the best use out of public assets. Any revenue will go back into accommodation. There’s a promise to serving personnel that no-one will be disadvantaged by

this programme – those of you living in a highlighted area will be given the option to move to an area with occupied SFA. Removals will be paid for if you are on a regular licence but if you are on a surplus agreement, you’ll have to fund the move yourself. As there’s no operational requirement for any move Disturbance Expense is

not payable in these situations.


If the programme is rolled out in an area, it means that there are surplus SFA available. You will always take priority over civilians, until a tenancy agreement has been signed and a deposit taken, so anyone eligible but not entitled to SFA, such as a

divorced soldier who wants to have a home for children to visit, will be able to apply for surplus via the e1132 – although I would recommend a quick call to Amey (0800 707 6000) to discuss availability first. There were issues experienced by some of you in Lyneham last year. AFF has been assured that should any area be needed

for military usage in the future, the sublet tenancies will be terminated before any surplus licences and even then, this will be on a case-by-case basis to ensure the minimum disruption to families. If you have any concerns about the subletting process, contact me at housing &

Should I stay or should I go? odation (SFA) when posted. It’s only Here at AFF, families often ask us how they can retain their Service Family Accomm , moves less than 11 months, spousal available for very specific reasons such as for public exams, a short-notice posting be met. Cat Calder tells us more… employment or medical/welfare issues. However, there are specific criteria to

HOW DO I FIND OUT IF I’M ENTITLED? You’ll need to let Amey know that you have been posted within 14 days of receiving your soldier’s assignment order and at the same time apply for retention if you need it. Any request for retention must be applied for before your soldier’s new job starts – after that it will be refused as it will no longer be considered an extension to your entitlement. If you’re overseas, contact the station/garrison housing staff. You can make your applications via the e1132 if you’re based in the UK. There’s a template to complete which you can send to Amey along with all your supporting evidence – such as an impact statement

52 Army&You spring 2019

for educational requests, for example. Your welfare team will be able to help you if you get stuck. The duration of the retention will be restricted to the minimum period necessary and will not exceed 12 months in most cases. You may need to re-apply for a further specified period if your circumstances persist – and you’ll need to do this before the retention runs out.

WHAT IF I DON’T QUALIFY? You may, depending on availability in your area, be offered surplus SFA instead. Be aware that both retention and a surplus agreement will probably mean that you are classed as voluntarily separated and this

may affect any allowances or removals. I strongly recommend that you chat to your admin clerk to find out.

WHAT IF I’M OVERSEAS? Contact your local station housing staff for applications overseas, but in most instances welfare or medical cases won’t be approved as access to the right support and medical services may not be available. It’s best to discuss the specific in-country arrangements with your local housing provider or contact the AFF overseas team via Find out more on the housing pages at or your soldier can access JSP 464.


Profile for TylerBale Communications

Army&You Spring 2019