email@example.com ariellecoambes.com 404.550.7751
Education Georgia Southern University
Statesboro, Ga., May 2014 (expected) 3.74 GPA Bachelor of Arts in Writing and Linguistics
• Emphasis in Professional and Technical Writing • Minor in Business Management • University Honors Program Graduate
Research Thesis on Web Usability Jan. 2013 - present
As an Honors student, I am working on a 50+ page thesis that will reveal the findings of my usability study into GSU’s class registration system. I have surveyed hundreds of students and interviewed dozens, as well as analyzing the study’s preliminary data. With my results, I am composing a proposal for the university and Sungard, the software company that produced the interface, for improvements to the product.
Recognitions $2,000 Morris Scholarship
2013-2014, 2012-2013 academic years
Morris News Corp. grants this scholarship to an outstanding journalism student. I am a two-time recipient.
$700 Honors Abroad Scholarship Spring 2013
University Honors awarded me this scholarship to study abroad in Southeast Asia in the summer of 2013. On the trip, I learned about international conflict and tutored Indonesian children in English.
President of the Georgia College Press Association Spring 2012 – Spring 2013
I was elected to head the state’s collegiate press association by student journalists and their advisers. In this role, I ran board meetings, planned yearly conferences and presented sessions at national conferences.
Experience Editor-in-Chief of Magazines Division Aug. 2013 - Present Department of Student Media Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, Ga.
• Managed production and staff of six magazines • Coordinated creative, business, and editorial efforts by functioning as liaison between departments • Launched social media accounts for each magazine; coached staff in social media best practices • Collaborated closely with Student Media’s Marketing division to brand each magazine and envision marketing strategies
Instructional Design Assistant
April 2013 - Present Centers for Teaching and Technology Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, Ga.
• Researched similar websites to the department’s, providing detailed reports and recommendations for improvements • Designed and wrote instructional materials for course design structure and systems • Edited documents for department, ranging from presentations to journal articles, for consistency, tone, and quality
AC Creative Services
Aug. 2011 - Present Freelance Writing, Editing, and Design
• Edited a textbook in Political Science, “Listening, Looking and Living” before submission to publisher • Edited a journal article that analyzed the effects of a training course on beginner college-level professors • Wrote content for, edited, and designed résumés
June 2013 - Aug. 2013 (3 months) Department of Student Media Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, Ga.
• Managed web, photo, video, and design divisions • Trained new graphic designers in advanced InDesign use for designing newspaper and magazines • Monitored news site’s functionality and usability by tracking page views and advertising effectiveness
Public Relations & Tech Writing Intern Jan. 2013 - May 2013 (5 months) Marketing Department East Georgia Regional Medical, Statesboro, Ga.
• Designed and wrote advertisements and presentations • Wrote press releases on hospital efforts for city newspaper • Updated hospital web pages by interviewing staff from across hospital departments and researching independently
Editor-in-Chief of The George-Anne
May 2011 - May 2013 (2 years) Department of Student Media Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, Ga.
• Managed a staff of over 50 in producing the most-published student newspaper in Georgia • Tripled The George-Anne’s social media presence by training staff in social media best practices and launching section-specific accounts