The London Eye is a giant Ferris wheel on the South Bank of the River Thames in London, England. The entire structure is 135 metres (443 ft) tall and the wheel has a diameter of 120 metres (394 ft). It is the tallest Ferris wheel in Europe, and the most popular paid tourist attraction in the United Kingdom, visited by over 3.5 million people annually.  When erected in 1999 it was the tallest Ferris wheel in the world, until surpassed first by the 160 m (520 ft) Star of Nanchang in 2006 and then the 165 m (541 ft) Singapore Flyer in 2008. Supported by an A-frame on one side only, unlike the taller Nanchang and Singapore wheels, the Eye is described by its operators as “the world’s tallest cantilevered observation wheel”. It offered the highest public viewing point in the city until it was superseded by the 245-metre (804 ft) observation deck on the 72nd floor of The Shard, which opened to the public on 1 February 2013. The London Eye, or Millennium Wheel, was officially called the British Airways London Eye and then the Merlin Entertainments London Eye. Since 20 January 2011, its official name is the EDF Energy London Eye following a three-year sponsorship deal. The London Eye adjoins the western end of Jubilee Gardens (previously the site of the former Dome of Discovery), on the South Bank of the River Thames between Westminster Bridge and Hungerford Bridge, in the London Borough of Lambeth. A predecessor to the London Eye, the Great Wheel, was built for the Empire of India Exhibition at Earls Court and opened to the public on 17 July 1895. Modelled on the original Chicago Ferris Wheel, it was 94 metres (308 ft) tall and 82.3 metres (270 ft) in diameter. It stayed in service until 1906, by which time its 40 cars (each with a capacity of 40 persons) had carried over 2.5 million passengers. The Great Wheel was demolished in 1907 following its last use at the Imperial Austrian Exhibition. A predecessor to the London Eye, the Great Wheel, was built for the Empire of India Exhibition at Earls Court and opened to the public on 17 July 1895. Modelled on the original Chicago Ferris Wheel, it was 94 metres (308 ft) tall and 82.3 metres (270 ft) in diameter. It stayed in service until 1906, by which time its 40 cars (each with a capacity of 40 persons) had carried over 2.5 million passengers. The Great Wheel was demolished in 1907 following its last use at the
A WALK AWAY
For the first two years of its existence, the Greater London Authority was based at Romney House, Marsham Street in Westminster. Meetings of the London Assembly took place at Emmanuel Centre, also on Marsham Street. City Hall was constructed at a cost of £43 million  on a site formerly occupied by wharves serving the Pool of London. The building does not belong to the GLA but is leased under a 25-year rent.  Despite its name, City Hall is neither located in nor does it serve a city (as recognised by English constitutional law), often adding to the confusion of Greater London with the City of London, whose headquarters is in the Guildhall, north of the Thames. In June 2011 Mayor Boris Johnson announced that for the duration of the London 2012 Olympic Games, the building would be called London House. The predecessors of the Greater London Authority, namely the Greater London Council and the London County Council, had their headquarters at County Hall, upstream on the South Bank. Although County Hall’s old council chamber is still intact, the building is unavailable for use by the GLA due to its conversion into, among other things, a luxury hotel, amusement arcade and aquarium. The building has an unusual, bulbous shape, purportedly intended to reduce its surface area and thus improve energy efficiency, although the excess energy consumption caused by the exclusive use of glass (in a double facade) overwhelms the benefit of shape. Despite claiming the building “demonstrates the potential for a sustainable, virtually non-polluting public building”, energy use measurements have shown this building to be fairly inefficient in terms of energy use (375 kWh/m2/yr), with a 2012 Display Energy Performance Certificate rating of “D”. It has been compared variously to Darth Vader’s helmet, a misshapen egg, a woodlouse and a motorcycle helmet. Former mayor Ken Livingstone referred to it as a “glass testicle”, while the present mayor, Boris Johnson, has referred to it as “The Glass Gonad” and more politely as “The Onion”. Its designers reportedly saw the building as a giant sphere hanging over the Thames, but opted for a more conventionally rooted building instead. It has no front or back in conventional terms but derives its shape from a modified sphere.
One hundred years prior to the beginning of the story, giant humanoid creatures called Titans (WKyojin?) have forced humanity to retreat into a system of concentric walls known as Wall Maria ( Wōru Maria?, outermost), Wall Rosé (Wōru Rōze?, middle), and Wall Sina (Wōru Shīna?, innermost). Inside these walls, humanity lived in peace for one hundred years, but a sudden attack by a gigantic sixty-meter Titan and a smaller Titan covered in armor plates caused the outermost wall to be breached, forcing mankind to abandon the land between Wall Maria and Wall Rosé, resulting in turmoil and famine. Little is known about the Titans; giant creatures ranging from 3-15 meters tall, which instinctively attack and devour ordinary humans on sight. However, they apparently do not require meat as sustenance, as they do not prey on other animals, even with the long absence of humans, and apparently gain their energy directly from sunlight. They have hard skin and regenerative abilities, and can only be killed by a deep incision at the base of the neck. This weakness led to the development of the Vertical Maneuvering Equipment (Rittai Kidō Sōchi?), allowing hu-
mans to navigate quickly in a three-dimensional space. Although it permits great mobility to a skilled user, it carries a large risk of overtaxing the muscles, requiring extensive physical conditioning and agility. The series follows the story of Eren Yeager, his adopted sister Mikasa Ackerman, and their friend Armin Arlert. After the outermost Wall is breached by Titans, including the 60-meter tall skinless Colossus Titan and the abnormally intelligent Armored Titan, and his mother dying in the resulting destruction, Eren vows revenge against the Titans and later enlists in the military, accompanied by Mikasa and Armin. Years later duriWng his first battle against the Titans, Eren discovers that he has the ability to transform into a Titan at will. Seen as a threat to mankind by some, and as a ray of hope by others, Eren joins his companions in a desperate fight to protect what remains of their society while looking for answers to the mysteries surrounding the Titans, the Walls, and his own existence as well. The main protagonist of the series. Idealistic, hotheaded, aggressive, and impulsive, Eren seeks to annihilate the Titans and explore the outside world. As a child, age 9, he killed two of the kidnappers who murdered
Mikasa’s family and convinced Mikasa to fight and kill the third one while he was being strangled by the latter. He and his father came looking for her after finding her parents’ bodies. He was ranked 5th in his trainee class, having no particular talent aside from his excellent close combat skills, but has been slowly but steadily improving his grades through outstanding effort and a strong sense of purpose. Following his mother’s death, Eren has a brief encounter with his father who entrusts him with a key to their old house’s basement in Shiganshina, claiming that he must reach it by whatever means necessary, but is not informed by him about what really is hidden there. Later it is revealed that Eren possess the strange ability to summon and control the body of a 15 meter class Titan. Eren believes this ability to be the result of injections given to him by his father after the death of his mother, although there are indicts that he had those powers way before it. He initially had little control over the Titan body that he summons, and would attack anything that he sees while in this form but after further use he gained full control. When the Titan’s
Canary Wharf is located on the West India Docks on the Isle of Dogs. From 1802, the area was one of the busiest docks in the world. By the 1950s, the port industry began to decline, leading to the docks closing by 1980. Canary Wharf itself takes its name from No. 32 berth of the West Wood Canary Wharf is located on the Quay of the Import Dock. This was West India Docks on the Isle of built in 1936 for Fruit Lines Ltd, a Dogs. From 1802, the area was one subsidiary of Fred Olsen Lines for of the busiest docks in the world. the Mediterranean and Canary IsBy the 1950s, the port industry be- lands fruit trade. At their request, gan to decline, leading to the docks the quay and warehouse were given the name Canary Wharf. closing by 1980. Canary Wharf itself takes its name from No. 32 berth of the West The Canary Wharf of today began Wood Quay of the Import Dock. when Michael von Clemm, former This was built in 1936 for Fruit chairman of Credit Suisse First BosLines Ltd, a subsidiary of Fred Ol- ton (CSFB), came up with the idea sen Lines for the Mediterranean to convert Canary Wharf into a back and Canary Islands fruit trade. At office. Further discussions with G their request, the quay and ware- Ware Travelstead led to proposals house were given the name Canary for a new business district. The project was sold to Olympia & York and construction began in 1988, master-planned by Skidmore Owings & Merrill and subsequently by Koetter Kim. Canary Wharf is a major business district located in Tower Hamlets, London, United Kingdom. It is one of London’s two main financial centres – along with the traditional City of London – and contains many of the UK’s tallest buildings, including the sec.
Canary Wharf is located on the West India Docks on the Isle of Dogs. From 1802, the area was one of the busiest docks in the world. By the 1950s, the port industry began to decline, leading to the docks closing by 1980. Canary Wharf itself takes its name from No. 32 berth of the West Wood Quay of the Import Dock. This was built in 1936 for Fruit Lines Ltd, a subsidiary of Fred Olsen Lines for the Mediterranean and Canary Islands fruit trade. At their request, the quay and warehouse were given the name Canary Wharf. The Canary Wharf of today began when Michael von Clemm, former chairman of Credit Suisse First Boston (CSFB), came up with the idea to convert Canary Wharf into a back office. Further discussions stead led to proposals