Angela Edgerton Technology in the classroom Angela Internet Scavenger Hunt - American Wars
1. The American Revolutionary War that created the United States of America was due to the British burden of taxes and total power to legislate any laws governing the American colonies. What years did the American Revolutionary War take place? http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/American_Revolutionary_War ___________________________________ 2. British ships had captured almost four hundred American vessels, some within sight of the U.S. coast, severely disrupting with American export trade. Often, Americans were conscripted to serve on British ships. As a result, many Americans called the __________ _____ __________, a "second war for independence". http://library.thinkquest.org/22916/excauses.html 3. Who declared the war at the beginning of the Mexican War (1846-1848)? http://www.pbs.org/kera/usmexicanwar/index_flash.html ____________________________________ 4. What were five main causes for the American Civil War (1861-1865)? http://americanhistory.about.com/od/civilwarmenu/a/cause_civil_war.htm 1) __________________________________________________________________ 2) __________________________________________________________________ 3) __________________________________________________________________ 4) __________________________________________________________________ 5) __________________________________________________________________
5. The Spanish-American War (April 25, 1898-December 10, 1898) ended with the signing of the Treaty of Paris. As a result Spain lost its control over the remains of its overseas empire -- Cuba, Puerto Rico, the Philippines Islands, Guam, and other islands. Why did the United States declared war on Spain? http://www.loc.gov/rr/hispanic/1898/intro.html
6. Why did the United States enter World War 1 (1914-1918)? This is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaVP4NPTzS8 ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________
7. List three Axis powers and five Allies of World War 2 (1939-1945). http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/648813/World-War-II Axis: ___________________, _____________________, and ____________________ Allies ___________ ___________, __________________, ______________________, __________________________, and __________________________
8. The Korean War (1950-1953) was between North and South Korea so why did the United States join the Korean War? http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_did_the_United_States_join_the_Korean_War ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________
9. The Vietnam War was an armed-conflict between North and South Vietnam that started in the 1950s and spanned all the way to 1975 lasting almost 20 years. One of the Vietnam War facts, that most people know, is that this war became significant for the international community when the United States gave support to the anti-communist South Vietnamese government and finally entered into the war with their own troops as well. Both sides had their own supporters and allies of which the biggest were the United States. The US entered the war to prevent the further spread of communism as part of their larger plan of containment. It is also known as _____________________ __________________ __________. http://antoniousmxms9.wordpress.com/2011/08/28/what-the-vietnam-war-was-all-about/
The Gulf War (August 28, 1990 – February 28, 1991) was a conflict between Iraq and a coalition force of approximately 30 nations led by the United States and mandated by the United Nations in order to liberate the nation of Kuwait. The war began with the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait on August 2, 1990, following Iraqi contentions that Kuwait was illegally slant-drilling petroleum across Iraq’s border. The invasion was met with immediate economic sanctions by the United Nations against Iraq. The conflict is also known as the Persian Gulf War, War in the Gulf, 1990 Gulf War, Gulf War Sr., or First Gulf War (to distinguish it from the ongoing Iraq War), Second Gulf War (to distinguish it from the Iran-Iraq War), Liberation of Kuwait, War of Kuwait, and Mother of Battles. _________________ ____________ ___________ was the US name of the air/land operations and is often used to refer to the conflict. http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Gulf_War
10. United States President George W. Bush declared War on Terror because of September 11, 2001. Why did he declare War on Terror? This is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CSPbzitPL8&feature=related ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________
11. The Second Gulf War lasted just three weeks and ended with Saddam Hussein's overthrow. However, since April 2003, United States forces, as well as troops from other countries, have struggled to end violent resistance in the nation. On March 20, 2003, a coalition of countries, principally the United States and Great Britain, invaded Iraq, contending that the Iraqi government, headed by Saddam Hussein, had developed or was in the process of developing ______________ ____________ and ____________ ____ ______ ________________. Hussein's actions, if true, were in violation of United Nations directives, resulting from Iraq's defeat in the original Gulf War. http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=1620
ANSWER KEY 1.
The War of 1812
Economic and social differences between the North and the South. States versus federal rights. The fight between Slave and Non-Slave State Proponents. Growth of the Abolition Movement. The election of Abraham Lincoln.
following the sinking of the Battleship Maine in Havana harbor on February 15, 1898.
Answers may vary: allies with French and Great Britain , Germany sinking of the Lusitania, economic ties, political beliefs, a telegram, 14 points, to end all wars
Axis powers: Germany, Italy, and Japan Allies: France, Great Britain, the United States, the Soviet Union, and China.
US feared that all countries in Asia would be turned to a communist country. At the time of the Korean War, China was a huge factor because China supported North Korea. If the United States did not support South Korea then the domino effect would have been put to effect.
American's Longest War
Operation Desert Storm
Answers may vary: Osama bin Laden, al-Qaeda, attack on America, attack on the World Trade Centers
chemical weapons and/or weapons of mass destruction