Page 7

who are Caucasian, women of color, and lesbians who try to resist their own internalized sexism. My guess, is that "Women and Madness" and those who were inspired by it may have changed the mental health professions by about 20%. We still have the remaining 80% to change. The situation in non-Western countries may be even more dire, terrible, patriarchal. Is this true in your experience? Today, there is also some better medication for anxiety, insomnia, and depression. Also, we know more about how sexual violence, beginning with incest, affects a girl or a woman in terms of Post Traumatic Stress symptoms. She is not "crazy." She has been tortured. In America today, we have too many people on the streets who are homeless and hallucinating, who refuse to stay on their medication, and for whom no quality mental health care is available. This is as bad in its own way as locking them up in mental asylums and without giving them quality mental health care either. Today, in 2018, Women and Madness is still my best selling title. Reminding you of the Class Action Lawsuit in Nebraska 1998, where you were the sole expert witness on behalf of female psychiatric patients who had been sexually, physically, medically, and psychologically abused, do you think there is a comparison between those victims with the victims of patriarchy ? where women, though not in the confines of their hospital but at their own homes ? are subjected to the same treatment, physically, mentally, sexually and even health-wise (for not having bodily autonomy). How would

you see and note this comparison? What an interesting point. If you are thinking about women who are house-bound, who live in purdah, or who require male "minders," then, in a sense, this is similar to living under house arrest or being psychiatrically hospitalized. If you add to this picture a situation in which girls and women are punished for the slightest independence, are routinely and normatively beaten and punished, then, yes, it might be similar to hospital confinement. Such inmates will become fearful, anxious, claustrophobic? but worse, utterly dependent, Stockholm-Syndrome style on those who subordinate, monitor, and control their every movement and every thought. Like the poor inmates in Nebraska, they may also be subjected to intimate family violence, both sexual, physical, and psychological.

Profile for ANANKE

Violence Against Women Issue  

Ananke presents a special edition marking the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women - Nov 25th, 2018.

Violence Against Women Issue  

Ananke presents a special edition marking the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women - Nov 25th, 2018.

Profile for anankemag
Advertisement