1.Exploration and discoveries. 2.Important discoveries through time.
3.The discovery of America 4.Navigation
* Exploration is to go to new places to learn new things. You have to explore to discover. If you don't explore you don't discover and that's what exploring is and why it’s important. Discovery is to find new things that you didn’t know about the world but different to inventions, you don’t create discoveries, you find them in nature because discoveries were created in nature. Without discoveries we wouldn’t know so much about the world and that’s what a discovery is and why it’s important.
* Discovery and exploration lead us to new
learning because we can know more about exploring and about discovering like me. I learned about a lot of discoveries for example, I learned that without exploring we canâ€™t discover, but to explore we need to navigate . Navigating doesnâ€™t just mean to go on a boat at sea, it means to go from one place to another.
* * Now I'm going to tell you some of the
important discoveries that I've learned. These are the ones that I'm going to talk about:
* Fire, Earth Moves and Evolution Theory FIRE
Fire is a very important discovery for human beings because without it we couldnâ€™t cook and we couldnâ€™t have warm showers. It was discovered by our ancestors called Homo Erectus many, many years ago.
The 3 elements of fire are oxygen, fuel and heat.
* * Earth moves was discovered by Copernicus and then by Galileo Galilei that was a long time ago.
discovery is important because it made us realize that it takes 365 days for the Earth to go around the sun and 24 hours for the Earth to rotate around its own axis
* These are the 2 movements that the Earth does :
*Rotating on its own axis. *Revolving around the sun.
* * The evolution theory isn't proved yet but people have been seeing dead bodies in some caves.
* Charles Darwin said that he thought that
human beings used to be something similar to monkeys but they were called Australopithecus. Then, homo erectus. After that, was the homo habilis. Next, was the homo sapiens and finally, what we are now is the homo sapiens sapiens.
* I am going to tell you the discovery of America and after that I will tell you the effects some people had after that discovery. Once upon a time there was a man called Christopher Columbus he wanted to go on a trip to prove the world was round. He said he would start west and end up north, so, he went to ask some sailors if they wanted to go on the trip with him and they said â€“ yes we would-.Christopher said that they had to go and ask the queen for the 3 boats , so they went to the queenâ€™s palace and asked. She said no . Then 15 years later he came back and the queen said she would . When they got a continent they saw many native Americans but then Christopher Columbus took the treasures and the native Americans to the queen. She took the treasures and took Christopher Columbus to jail.
* I am going to tell you the perspectives and
the effects of some people after the discovery of America. These are the people that I'm going to talk about :
* Christopher Columbus * The queen of Spain * The native Americans * The crew members First I will tell you the perspectives of Christopher Columbus : he thought that the discovery of America was bad because when he got back they sent him to jail, the king and queen never answered his letters, he got sick, they only gave him 15% of the treasures and America wasnâ€™t named after him.
* Now the perspectives of the queen : the
queen thought that the discovery of America was very good because she got more popular and she got all the treasures of America.
* Now the native Americans: thought that
the discovery of America was bad they got sick because Christopher Columbus brought them ,they had a war , the got stole because they took away their treasures , they made them had Catholicism , they made them speak Spanish and they made them slaves.
* And finally the crew members : the crew
members thought that the discovery of America was terrible because first some of the crew members got sick , they left some behind , they were eaten by native Americans , they had to sleep in a smelly place on the boat ,they had to do everything Christopher Columbus said and they were scared.
* * Navigation is to go from one place to
another but not just on boat on any vehicle or just by walking jogging or running.
* Now I am going to talk about 3 navigation
tools that are going to be : THE COMPASS , MAPS and THE WIND ROSE.
First lets talk about the compass : The characteristics of the compass are that it has a arrow and some letters that are N , S , W and E they stand for north , south , west and EAST and they also have a little star under the arrow and they have glass . The function of the compass is that it points north , south , west or east and when the navigator looks at it he knows which way to go and which way he is going.
* Now about the maps : maps look like a flat
paper with a lot of countries and cities and stuff like that in some circumstances maps can be round but they have the same characteristics . The function of the maps is to show the city or sea or country that the navigator is in so the navigator knows to which country , city or sea to go to.
And finally lets talk about the wind rose : the wind rose looks like the compass because it has the arrow and it has north , south ,west and east but the difference is that it has NE and SE also NW and SW which stands for north east , south east , north west and south west . The function of the wind rose is to tell the navigator which way the wind is going and then the navigator will know which way to go so if he has to go to way of the wind or another way that the wind isn't going .
THE VICTORIA SCHOOL WHERE WE ARE IN PLACE AND TIME SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT RUBRIC THIRD GRADE 2012 â€“ 2013
Explains how discoveries and exploration lead to new learning. Identifies and explains some important discoveries. Explains different perspectives towards the Discovery of America. Recognizes different kinds of navigation tools and processes. Identifies the characteristics and functions of different navigation tools and processes. The informative texts are clear and coherent. The texts have correct spelling. The texts have correct punctuation.
1 Student shows minimum comprehension which does not allow him/her to fulfill the task.
2 Student shows limited comprehension when completing the task.
3 Student shows partial comprehension when completing the task.
4 Student completes the task successfully.
5 Student applies and transfers their understanding in different contexts.
6 Student applies and transfers their understanding in a variety of contexts taking decisions about their actions and reflecting about them.
This magazine was created with Microsoft PowerPoint 2011.
Images used were taken from Microsoft Office and Office online.
Published on Feb 24, 2013