Page 1

LAGI COMPETITION ENERGY SUPPLIES

AD TANKS COULD BE CONVERTED INTO SEATING OR SOME FORM OF SCULPTURAL ATTRACTION

SOLAR PANELS ARE SIMILARLY STUCK IN FORM, THEREFORE COULD FORM A LIVING SCULPTURE

HYDRO COULD FORM A WATER FEATURE, OR INVOLVE ALTERING THE LANDSCAPE TO ENCOURAGE WATER FLOW

2


AEROBIC DIGESTION (BIOGAS) Aerobic digestion is the natural break down and fermentation of organic compounds, resulting in the production of methane and carbon dioxide. This combination is also known as biogas, an important source of energy for the 21st century, as well as fertiliser,

This process in contained within large tanks, which potentially can contribute to any design. However, they must be safe and durable, and therefore will not affect the

Aerobic digestion can be applied to a number of waste products problematic to major

to approve AD as a hygenic measure for organic waste management, giving the project potential. The process also works well on many scales, meaning infrastructure may not need to run constantly.

SOLAR PANELS Solar energy supply comes in two forms - Concentrated Solar Power, which harnesses the or Photovoltaic Cells, which directly convert light into an electrical current. These PV Cells are cheaper than nuclear power, have minimal maintenance costs and last 25-40 years, however this may mean that the infrastructure is in place for a long time to maximise value, impractical for a changing city. They also come in relatively landscape without making an attraction. Simliarly, it is questionable whether Copenhagen has the right climate for maximise Danish year, the maximum temperatures reached barely go past 30 degrees, and still only achieve 8 hours of sunshine a day.

HYDROELECTRICITY production, and is a low cost, highly effective approach. Given the large body of water surrounding the site, it seems logical to take advantage of this, as well as creating a method to incorporate it with the site and engage the public with the waterfront. This method traditionally requires damming and dredging of the site, something not possible in this situation. However, the same principles should apply at a smaller scale. Larger hydro plants are already proven to be capable of running at many scales, meaning the infrastructure could be (in theory) turned off in times it would be disruptive. It will also be important to keep in mind the shipping yard and transport route the water provides - this process obviously must remain undisturbed. This technique also assumes that investigation.

3


LAGI COMPETITION PAST ENTRIES All past entries are taken from LAGI 2012 - Freshkills Park, NYC

4


“INEFFICIENCY CAN BE BEAUTIFUL”

at 15-20% capacity. In the case of solar power, the remaining 80% of energy is simply heat. Although solar panels scattered through the site, with caps to represent natural gas, and lifted triangular shapes to power production, there is a lot of material usage and landscape disuption to highlight, but in some ways are no other attractions within the local area.

“A GREEN FIELD AND A CONSTELLATION”

each equipped with solar panels to gather energy around the site. These devices are split into two dispersing as programmed. This potentially means that the devices could travel to where sunlight is best, is questionable, however this would make a great attraction for the park and could be applied elsewhere.

“SOLAR BATHS” These hot spring baths combine two energy production methods in very subtle ways solar heat and aerobic digestion, also producing heat. These large salt water baths, being North-facing and therefore exposed to large amounts of sunlight, are able to capture and retain heat. This heat is then funelled into a solar chimney, converting it to electricity. However, these baths are also heated by the de-

not always encourage more sustainable actions. The baths are powered by detrimental behaviour, and with in this method. Nonetheless, the well-designed park makes good use of the landscape and would undoubtedly be an attraction.

5


Tremewen amy 585474 lagicompetition  
Advertisement
Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you