OUR HISTORY... A LOOK BACK Over the past 13 years, Alonzo Mourning Charities (AM Charities) has been able to reach several milestones. Many achievements are a direct result of the support from countless individuals and corporations who also wish to make a difference in our community. With much success, AM Charities has been able to fund new and existing initiatives that benefit our youth of promise.
Modeled after Magic Johnson’s fundraising event “A Midsummer Night’s Magic”, Mourning hosted the 1st annual ZO’S SUMMER GROOVE (ZSG) raising more than $200,000 for local charities in South Florida. Now in its 11th year, ZSG has grown into a five-day, fun-filled community event that has become a staple in the South Florida community. ZSG, AM Charities’ largest fundraising event, appeals to a diverse audience by offering a variety of events that include: a youth basketball clinic and sports conference, golf tournament, concert, comedy show, benefit dinner, block party, all-star basketball game and numerous after-party functions. ZSG works to promote community involvement by encouraging event participants to enjoy a weekend that ultimately benefits South Florida’s youth of promise. For more information visit zsg.com
• Mourning takes the Groove on the road to Hampton Roads, Virginia. Currently known as ZO’S END OF SUMMER GROOVE, this event Mourning’s hometown supporters the opportunity to get involved. This three-day event included a golf tournament, youth summit, and a family day in the park. Proceeds benefited local organizations in the Hampton Road areas. • In efforts to give Thanksgivings a special meaning for families in need, Mourning personally delivers complete meals doorto-door to unsuspecting families in South Florida. Now in 2009, with the support of sponsors, 33 THANKSGIVING has increased the number of meals delivered from 33 to 533.
• ALONZO MOURNING CHARITIES becomes incorporated as a public not-for-profit organization.
Founded by Tracy Wilson Mourning, the HONEY SHINE MENTORING PROGRAM encourages the balance of mind, body and soul in girls and women by providing nurturing experiences that enlightens their path and empowers their future. The program currently offers bi-weekly workshops, field trips and a four-week summer camp. For more information, visit honeyshine.org
• With the help of donors, Alonzo Mourning Charities opened the first center in the historic area of Overtown in South Florida. The OVERTOWN YOUTH CENTER provides services to more than 225 kids. The center’s mission is to inspire and empower youth and families by fostering hope through enrichment services. For more information visit overtownyouth.org
Alonzo Mourning Charities joins forces with the Magic Johnson Foundation to host ZO & MAGIC’S 8-BALL CHALLENGE. Guests are invited to compete in the only true showdown taking place during NBA All-Star Weekend. Proceeds benefit programs and services supported by both foundations. For more information visit 8ballchallenge.com
• The 1st Annual HAT’S OFF LUNCHEON helps keep the Honey Shine Mentoring Program operating year-round. Also, thanks to the success and popularity of this event, CAMP HONEY SHINE was able to open its doors for a full three weeks in 2007. • ZO’S MILLION DOLLAR SHOOTOUT offers guest an exclusive golfing experience at the world renowned Trump National Golf Course in Briarcliff Manor, New York. Alongside Donald Trump, Mourning has been able to also make an impact on youth organizations in the New Jersey and New York area. For more information visit zoshootout.com
The KING PIN CLASSIC is another favorite fundraiser initiated to raise funds annually for the Honey Shine Mentoring Program. Both Tracy and Alonzo Mourning continue to score the perfect strike raising more than $100,000 annually for Honey Shine.
Alonzo Mourning Charities unveils plan to build a second youth center in South Florida in the Miami Gardens Bunche Park area.
During the 2001 NBA All-Star Weekend, Mourning launched “Zo’s Fund for Life,” a campaign seeking to raise a minimum of $2 million in funds for research, education, and testing to fight Focal Glomerulosclerosis (FSGS), a degenerative kidney ailment that Mourning was diagnosed with at the start of the season.
• The Groove just got flashier. NBA Champion Alonzo Mourning is now joined by teammate Dwyane Wade, a.k.a. “Flash” on the court, to host the largest event of the summer- THE SUMMER GROOVE HOSTED BY ZO & D. WADE (ZSG). Held in Miami, Florida, ZSG is a five-day weekend event that has something for everyone- golf, comedy, concert, benefit dinner, youth summit, a basketball clinic and youth sports conference, a free block party, an all-star basketball game and numerous after party functions. ZSG benefits both Alonzo Mourning Charities and the Wade’s World Foundation. For more information visit zsg.com
Currently Zo’s Fund for Life’s mission is to empower individuals and their families who are affected by kidney disease and organ transplantation by providing hope through research, advocacy, and education.
• In December 2008, Zo’s Fund for Life helped raise enough funds to GIVE OMAR LIFE, a campaign lead to help place four year old Omar on the transplant list. Shortly thereafter Omar received a life-saving liver transplant.
2009 On June 10, 2009, the ALONZO MOURNING ACCESS TO CARE ACT was signed into Law by State of Florida Governor Charlie Crist. This law gives End Stage Renal Disease patients under the age of 65 the ability to get Medgap coverage without having to spend down their assets.