Chocolate Chip Cookies
To found out more about child slavery in cocoa farming, visit:
150g softened butter
1 cup compacted brown sugar 1 free range egg
Splash vanilla essence
2 cups self raising flour 100g chocolate, broken (I used Whittaker’s)
How to cope with ethical ambiguity in chocolate...
• Check The Ethical Guide to see where the chocolate you buy rates in terms of ethical practices
• Preheat oven to 180° Celsius and line two trays with baking paper.
• Boycott unethical chocolate companies if possible
• Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
• Email chocolate companies to find out where they source their cocoa (see sample)
• Add egg and essence, and beat together until combined.
• Make or sign a petition encouraging chocolate companies to source their cocoa ethically
• Gently stir in flour and chocolate, adding a little at a time. • Roll into tablespoon sized balls with your hands and flatten slightly onto baking paper. Be sure to leave space (around 5cm) between cookies.
Inform others! Make sure other people know the ethical concerns of chocolate – lack of public knowledge (and pressure) stops unethical cocoa farming from being a recognised concern
• Bake for around 15 minutes. Cookies will come out soft but harden on standing.
Remember you can only do what you can do: small changes lead to big changes, so don’t beat yourself up if you can’t go completely ethical all at once!
Dear [name of chocolate company]
AM-UNITY MAG EDITION 2
It has recently come to my attention that the vast majority of chocolate companies source their cocoa unethically; in many cases, from farms utilizing slave and child labour. As a long-time fan of your chocolates, it worries me that I may be inadvertently assisting the continued abuse of workers in the cocoa industry. What is your company’s stance on the matter? Would someone be able to tell me how and where your company sources their cocoa? Yours sincerely, A concerned consumer 11
This edition of AM-UNITY Magazine sees a focus on Refugee/Asylum Seeker Rights, Afghan Women’s Rights and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgende...