THE JAGIELLONIAN University’s museums THE JAGIELLONIAN University museum The Jagiellonian University Museum is located on the corner of ulica Św. Anny and ulica Jagiellońska, in the Collegium Maius, the oldest university building in Poland, with a history going back to 1400, when King Vladislaus Jagiełło alienated this corner house, which had belonged to the Pęcherz family of Rzeszotary, to the University. In 2014 the Jagiellonian University Museum is celebrating its golden jubilee. More on this Museum, its activities and its jubilee on p. 66–67.
THE PHARMACY MUSEUM
THE MEDICAL FACULTY MUSEUM The Medical Faculty Museum was founded by Professor Walery Jaworski (1849–1924), holder of the Chair of Internal Medicine, who started the collection, which came chiefly from gifts and legacies from professors and medical practitioners associated with the University. The collection did not have premises of its own but luckily managed to survive the Second World War intact. It was not until 1992
Archiwum Muzeum Farmacji UJ
The Jagiellonian University Museum Collegium Maius
The Jagiellonian University’s Pharmacy Museum was founded in 1946 and is the largest in Poland, and one of very few in the world of its kind. Since 1991 it has been open to the public and has been very popular with visitors from abroad, some of whom like to compare Kraków’s collection with what they saw in Heidelberg or Basel. The exhibits are arranged in a display on five storeys, from the basement to the loft of the 15th-century house at Number
25 on the Floriańska. They include a rare majolica collection with items from Italy, the Netherlands, France, and Britain; graphite dry distillation retorts, pots and cauldrons, weighing scales and weights, sieves, mortars and pestles, and even the jaws of a shark and odd-looking fish. The first floor accommodates a room dedicated to the pharmacist Ignacy Łukasiewicz, who invented the paraffin lamp. One of the Museum’s particularly noteworthy exhibits is a set of weights of under one gramme, patented by Marian Zahradnik. Another interesting item is an electrical device which was used to sterilise prescriptions.
alma mater No. 166 The Jagiellonian University’s Pharmacy Museum
Alma Mater 166