Page 68

THE GOLDEN JUBILEE OF THE JAGIELLONIAN UNIVERSITY MUSEUM 2014

Grzegorz Zygier

Konrad K. Pollesch

Konrad K. Pollesch

the early 20th century, when is the golden jubilee year plans were put forward to of the Jagiellonian Univermove the library, which sity Museum, which was was kept in Collegium opened on 12th May 1964. Maius at the time, to a The Museum’s first Direcnew building. The adaptator was the art historian tion scheme was nearly Professor Karol Estreicher. ready for implementation 2014 also marks the 30 th in 1939, but unfortunately anniversary of Professor Esthe outbreak of the War treicher’s death (29th April put a stop to it. The project 1984). These two anniversaresumed after the War. ries make up an integral part On 8th June 1951, on of this year’s jubilee of 650 the grounds of a resolution years since the University’s passed by the Jagiellonian Professor Karol Estreicher Professor Stanisław Waltoś foundation, and they offer University Senate, Profesan excellent opportunity sor Estreicher was appointfor a very brief recapitulation of how the staff members, and a variety of gifts and ed Head of the University’s museum colMuseum was founded and of its Founder’s legacies endowed by friends and acquaint- lections and put in charge of the Collegium original idea. ances of the people who looked after the Maius restoration and adaptation project. The Jagiellonian University Museum collections. When the Collegium Novum Four years later he gave a brief synopsis was preceded by the establishment of two Building was completed in 1887 the of the idea behind the project, writing that special collections in the 19th century – the University’s museum collections were ac- work to renovate the building was going Archaeological Exhibition, created by commodated in rooms on its ground floor, on briskly. Its chief aim was to turn the Professor Józef Łepkowski in 1867, and and stayed there until the outbreak of the Collegium Maius building into museum premises. It would not be a museum in the the History of Art Exhibition, initiated in Second World War. 1881 and managed by Professor Marian As the collections grew the University strict sense of the word, but a university Sokołowski. These two collections started authorities realised that the museum should building full of life because it was being the University’s tradition of collecting have premises of its own. The idea to adapt used, with staff and students using rooms museum items, which accumulated thanks the Collegium Maius building to house the in which the University’s heirlooms would to purchases, monetary donations from University’s museum appeared already in be displayed, and with a court and garden

Zaułek Estreichera (Estreicher’s Corner), a charming venue for a rendezvous, is situated between Collegium Maius alma mater No. 166 66Collegium Nowodworskiego, and and leads out onto ulica Św. Anny

Profile for alma mater

Alma mater 166  

Alma Mater 166

Alma mater 166  

Alma Mater 166

Advertisement