Veterans Memorials in Alachua County
Alachua County Vets Remembered It has been an honor for us to work on this project documenting all identified Alachua County Veteran Memorials. The purpose of this endeavor is to ensure these memorials are not forgotten and encourage citizens to visit each of them. As a Marine who fought in WWII on Iwo Jima and witnessed the U.S. flag flying over Mt. Suburachi and as a U.S. Army photographer with a tour of duty in Vietnam, we both have come to cherish the freedoms all Americans enjoy. Witnessing firsthand the cost of such freedom inspired us to ensure that those who gave their lives while serving our country are never forgotten. It took us several years of searching records, interviewing surviving families, speaking to veteran organizations, and reviewing historical documents before we realized how many memorials Alachua County actually had. Our next objective was to locate, photograph and document each memorial. What we found was truly amazing. How many people are aware that the University of Florida football stadium (Florida Field) was dedicated in honor of 17 local WWI veterans? How many knew that Gainesville was named after an Army general or that there is a marker on the County Administration Building listing the entire roster of Army Stonewall Camp #1438 organized in Gainesville during 1865? Were you aware that Butler Plaza on Archer Road was at one time an Army Air Field or that the Gainesville Airport Terminal is named after a famous WWII Army pilot? All total, we found over 50 veteran related markers and memorials located throughout Alachua County. Despite our rigorous efforts to document all known markers, it is possible we have overlooked some so we are counting on you to let us know where they are. We hope to print future editions with an updated listing based upon community input. On behalf of the over 20,000 veterans residing in Alachua County, the 650 young veterans attending the University of Florida or Santa Fe College on the GI Bill and on behalf of the many active county veteran service organizations, we proudly dedicate this book to those who gave all of their tomorrows so that we can enjoy our todays. May their service to America never be forgotten. Bob Gasche US Marines, WWII/Korea
Jim Lynch US Army, Vietnam
Take a Guided Cell Phone Tour Dial 352-327-9004 and punch in the number of the memorial to hear additional information about selected memorials. If you are visiting the memorials, look for this symbol indicating that audio information is available.
Alachua County Veterans Organizations American Legion Post 16 352-372-8802 4701 NW 6th Street Gainesville, FL 32609
Gainesville Vet Center 352-331-1408 105 NW 75th St., Suite 2 Gainesville, FL 32607
UF Army ROTC 352-392-1395 PO Box 118536 Gainesville, FL 32611-8536
American Legion Post 149 352-472-6125 26821 W. Newberry Hwy PO Box 1. Newberry, FL 32669
IWO Trio (WWII Vets Invited) 352-376-0402 1111 N W 25th Terrace Gainesville, FL 32605
UF Navy and Marine ROTC 352-392-0973 PO Box 118536 Gainesville, FL 32611-8536
Korean War Veterans Assoc. 352-378-5560 9511 SW 56th Place Gainesville, FL 32602
UF/SFCC Veterans Society 352-395-5506 3000 NW 83rd Street Rm R-110 Gainesville, FL 32606
American Legion Post 230 352-481-2744 PO Box 81 Hawthorne, FL 32640 AVMET Post 921 352-481-3121 PO Box 142422 Gainesville, FL 32614 China-Burma-India Veterans 352-372-3326 1309 NW 28th St. Gainesville, FL 32605 D-Day Veterans/B. Walker 352-372-9685 546 NW 39th Drive Gainesville, FL 32607 DAV Chapter 90 352-331-0945 2015 SW 75th St. Gainesville, FL 32607 Fleet Reserve Branch 179 352-337-9208 4607 NW 32nd Ave. Gainesville, FL 32606 Gainesville High School 352-955-6837 ext. 137 NJROTC 1900 NW 13th St. Gainesville, FL 32609
Marine Corps League 352-331-1860 7257 NW 4th Blvd. Gainesville, FL 32607-1600 Military Support Group of Alachua County 352-222-8837 Meets at First Methodist Church 14805 NW 140th St. Alachua, FL 32615 MOAA PO Box 5034 Gainesville, FL 32608 Rolling Thunder 352-284-6363 Meets at American Legion Post 16 Gainesville, FL Sons of the American Revolution 352-378-8764 4117 NW 33rd PL Gainesville, FL 32606
Veterans Advisory Board 352-264-6740 218 SE 24th Street Gainesville, FL 32641 Veterans Employment 352-244-5102 4800 SW 13th St Gainesville, FL 32608 VETSPACE 352-244-5106 PO Box 452 Gainesville, FL 32602 VFW Post 2811 352-376-7660 P.O Box 730 Gainesville, FL 32602 VFW 9229 352-462-5901 PO Box 310 Alachua, FL 32615
Sons of Confederate Veterans 352-264-6740 Brownâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;s Restaurant 14423 NW US Highway 441 S Alachua, FL 32615 3
List of Memorials Central Gainesville
1 Vietnam Veterans Monument
37 U.S. Army Sgt. Raymond E. Jones Jr. Road
2 Alachua County Library Monument and Flagpole
38 Lance Corporal Tomorio Burkett Road
3 Alachua County Courthouse Veterans Plaques
4 Battle of Gainesville Historical Markers
5 Desert Storm Monument
6 Confederate Monument
25 25 26
7 Vietnam Veterans Memorial Plaque
39 High Springs WWI – WWII Monument 40 Alachua Monument to All Veterans 41 Alachua Elementary Veterans Garden
8 Alachua County Administration Freedom Shrine
9 American Legion Post 16 Marker
10 Kirby Smith Building
11 Thelma Boltin Center
12 Sergeant Jeffrey Mattison Wershow Way
13 William H. Lynch Grave
14 Jesse Johnson Finley Historical Marker
15 Lt. E. A. Evans and Sgt. T. M. F. Miller
16 D-Day Memorial
17 Hogtown Fort Historical Marker
18 Monument to Christopher T. Neiberger
19 U.S. Army Specialist Christopher Neiberger Lane
20 Century Tower
21 Florida Field
22 Flavet Field
23 Van Fleet Hall
24 Blue Star Memorial Highway
25 Korea & Vietnam War Memorial
Eastside 26 Milton Lewis Stadium
27 VFW Flags and Eagle Monument
28 Milton Lewis Patio
29 U.S. Army “C.R. Layton” Reserve Center
30 Veterans Memorial Highway
31 John R. Allison Air Terminal
32 Welcome Home Sign
33 Forest Meadows Cemetery Memorial
34 Waldo Veterans Memorial Park
35 Dickison and His Men Historical Marker
36 Jefferson Davis’ Baggage Historical Marker
Westside 42 Haven Hospice Veterans Day Monument
43 Santa Fe Memorial Flagpole
44 Santa Fe Patriot Circle
45 U.S. Army Corporal Travis Rivero Avenue
46 Ft. Clarke Historical Marker
47 Newberry Community Veterans Memorial
48 POW and MIA Memorial Plaque
49 Alachua County Veterans Memorial
50 Wiles Elementary School Freedom Shrine
Missing or Lost Markers
1 Vietnam Veterans Monument SE corner of University Ave. and E 1st St., Gainesville At Gainesville Community Plaza On 1st Street SE The Gainesville Unit of the Woodman of the World, a national fraternal organization that operates a private insurance company for its members, dedicated this five foot white granite memorial to the Vietnam War veterans who served from 1959-1975. It reads, “In honor of all Vietnam veterans who patriotically and unselfishly served our country.”
2 Gulf War Monument 401 E University Ave., Gainesville At Alachua County Library District Headquarters On University Avenue This is the only known county memorial dedicated to veterans who served in support of both Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm during the Gulf War between 1990 and 1991. It is located on the Main Library grounds and a US flag flies from its top. This foursided memorial has insignias of each branch of the military and a prominent bald eagle. The words “God Bless America” surround these symbols and an inscription honors these veterans for their “bravery, courage, and determination.”
3 Alachua County Courthouse Veterans Plaques 220 S Main St., Gainesville At Alachua County Courthouse, Criminal Justice Center At entrance Standing like open gates to the Alachua County Criminal Justice Center, two large stone tablets were erected in memory of all Alachua County veterans who gave their lives in the service of our country. All who pass through these memorials have an opportunity to read each name of these honored veterans. Each branch of the service is represented by its colored emblem, and inscribed are these words: â&#x20AC;&#x153;We will never forget you.â&#x20AC;?
4 Battle of Gainesville Historical Markers 200 E University Ave., Gainesville At Gainesville City Hall On the front patio Two historical markers recognize the military roots of this area. The first marker details the Battle of Gainesville. On August 17, 1864 Union troops were driven from the city by the Florida Calvary, commanded by Captain J.J. Dickison. The second recognizes Edmund Gaines for whom Gainesville is named. Gaines was a commanding general during the Seminole Wars and established this territory for America. He later received accolades for holding Vice President Aaron Burr for treason, under orders of President Jefferson.
5 Desert Storm Monument 201 E University Ave., Gainesville At Alachua County Courthouse, Family and Civil Justice Center On University Avenue On May 18, 1991 the local television station WCJB and the City of Gainesville dedicated this brick monument to the men and women who served in Operation Desert Storm during the 19901991 Gulf War. The plaque reads: “This monument shall be a lasting reminder of your dedication to your country.”
6 Confederate Monument 12 SE 1st St., Gainesville At Alachua County Admin. Building On corner of University Ave. and Main St. In 1904, this life-size bronze statue was dedicated by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Kirby Smith Chapter 202, to the “Memory of the Confederate Dead...1861-1865.” Just a few feet away, a bronze plaque on the wall of the County Court House lists names on the roster from Stonewall Camp #1438, a Confederate camp organized in Gainesville.
7 Vietnam Veterans Memorial Plaque 12 SE 1st St., Gainesville In Alachua County Administration Building On 2nd ďŹ&#x201A;oor This memorial lists 36 names of local residents killed-in-action during the Vietnam War. It was presented to the citizens of Alachua County from Nam Vets, Inc., a nonprofit Vietnam veterans support organization, in honor of the gallant men from our area who died in Vietnam. Vernon Carter Jr. is listed as the first to die in 1965, and in 1972, Samuel Harrell was the last to die in combat.
8 Alachua County Administration Freedom Shrine 12 SE 1st St., Gainesville In Alachua County Admin. Building In lobby Along the wall of the main floor in the County Administration building, a display has been erected containing reproductions of many of the documents that give structure to our freedom in the United States. The Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Emancipation Proclamation, and the Axis Powers formal declarations of surrender are exhibited, among many others. This display was presented to the citizens of Alachua County by the Exchange Club of Gainesville.
9 American Legion Post 16 Marker 513 E University Ave., Gainesville At Matheson Museum On west side On Veterans Day, Nov. 11, 1932, the American Legion, an organization of honorable U.S. war veterans, dedicated a small bronze marker to commemorate the opening of American Legion Post 16. This post is named in honor of William “Haisley” Lynch, the first local man killed in action during WW1. At one time Lynch’s father Louis Charles Lynch was the post commander making him, perhaps, the only commander of an American Legion Post named in honor of his son. This building now houses Alachua County’s historical and archival museum.
Kirby Smith Building 620 E University Ave., Gainesville This building is the headquarters for the Alachua County Public School Board and is named in honor of Edmund Kirby Smith. Kirby Smith was born in St. Augustine, FL and graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 1845. He was a lieutenant in the Mexican-American War, major in the US Calvary, and Confederate general during the Civil War. He commanded the last significant Confederate Army. Smith was also a mathematics teacher at West Point, school founder, university president, and professor.
Thelma Boltin Center
516 NE 2nd Ave., Gainesville At Thelma Boltin Center Camp Blanding, located about 35 miles from Gainesville, brought over 25,000 soldiers into the area and many of their families settled in Gainesville, creating housing shortages. To entertain the soldiers on weekend passes, the City of Gainesville erected a large recreation hall and appointed Gainesville High School drama teacher and famous folklore expert, Thelma Boltin, as director. The program was a huge success as hundreds of soldiers would relax and hear Thelma Boltin relate stories of early Florida life.
Sergeant Jeffrey Mattison Wershow Way
204 SE 1st St., Gainesville Street sign and plaque on wall The Gainesville City Commission dedicated this corner to Army Sergeant Jeffrey Wershow of the Florida National Guard. His unit was mobilized by the President and deployed to Iraq in early 2003. Serving in Baghdad, he provided security for Army civil affairs officers and was killed-in-action at the University of Baghdad. This street was selected because it is the location of his fatherâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;s law practice.
William H. Lynch Grave 401 SE 21st Ave., Gainesville At Evergreen Cemetery In front of cemetery oﬃce
This white marble grave stone indicates the final resting spot of William “Haisley” Lynch the first local serviceman killed-in-action during WWI. Lynch was serving as a machinegunner with the 167th Infantry of the 42nd Infantry Division and was killed on Oct. 17, 1918, during the MeuseArgonne Offensive in Cote D’Chatillon, France. After the war, trees were planted in memory of WWI causalities around the Gainesville Post Office and a marker was installed at 414 SE 2nd St. (cannot be located) with the inscription “In memory of W. Haisley Lynch who died that others may be free, WWI 1914-1918.”
Jesse Johnson Finley Historical Marker 401 SE 21st Ave., Gainesville At Evergreen Cemetery In the southeast corner This marker was dedicated in 1999 to honor local resident Jessie Finley who served as an Army Captain during the Seminole War of 1836. He joined the Confederate Army in 1862 and served with the 6th Florida Infantry under General Bragg in the famous battle at Chickamauga. and later was promoted to Brigadier General by the US Congress. He is buried in Gainesville’s Evergreen Cemetery. His son, Samuel Y. Finley, was elected as Gainesville’s first Mayor in 1869.
Lt. E. A. Evans and Sgt. T. M. F. Miller Monument
401 SE 21st Ave., Gainesville At Evergreen Cemetery In back SE corner A large upright white marble monument (approx. 12 feet tall) was dedicated in 1890 to Lt. E.A. Evans (uncle of George E. Evans, County Clerk of the Courts) and Sgt. T.M.F. Miller. Both of these men died of yellow fever in 1888, while marching from Gainesville, FL to Fernandina Beach, FL to assist in the attempt to limit the many deaths caused by the fever. They were assigned to Co. A, 2nd Platoon, Florida State Troops. This memorial was originally located on the N.E. side of the County Courthouse, but was moved to the Evergreen Cemetery in 1922.
10 SW 36th St., Gainesville At Hogtown Creek Fountain Next to Fire Station #4 The D-Day Normandy Veterans of North Florida erected a granite monument honoring all D-Day veterans of WWII. On June 6, 1944, the U.S. and its allies hit the heavily defended beach at Normandy, France with the largest amphibious invasion force in history at the time. Flanked by 3 fountains emerging from an adjacent pool and located next to Fire Station No. 4, the monument has an American flag flying 30 feet above it. Carved into the stone memorial are these words: â&#x20AC;&#x153;A day that will never fade from our memory.â&#x20AC;?
Hogtown Fort Historical Marker 1001 NW 34th St., Gainesville At Westside Recreation Center In front of oﬃce on 34th St. Near the entrance to the recreation center, a historical marker offers a brief history of Hogtown, one of the earliest settlements in Alachua County. A fort was built at Hogtown during the Second Seminole War (1835-1842). The Spring Grove Guards, a volunteer company of mounted riflemen, periodically patrolled the countryside in this area. The Hogtown fort was one of a dozen in or near present-day Alachua County.
Monument to Christopher T. Neiberger 812 NW 34th St., Gainesville At Littlewood Elementary School In front of Oﬃce entrance At the front entrance to Littlewood Elementary School, a memorial bench was dedicated to former student U.S. Army Specialist Christopher Neiberger, who was killed by a roadside bomb in Baghdad, Iraq on August 6, 2007. The bench was dedicated on November 9, 2007, and engraved on it are these words: “In loving memory of Christopher T. Neiberger and all who have sacrificed their lives for our freedom.” Embedded in the concrete platform at the base of the bench is a circular stained glass American flag that was made by State Attorney Bill Cervone.
U.S. Army Specialist Christopher Neiberger Lane
1900 NW 13th St., Gainesville At Gainesville High School At back entrance on NW 16th Terr. This lane is dedicated by the City of Gainesville in honor of Christopher Neiberger who was killed-in-action on August 6, 2007 while serving in Iraq. He graduated from Gainesville High School in 2003 and this marker was placed next to the road leading to the High School, as a permanent reminder of his sacrifice on behalf of his country, community, and sense of duty.
Corner of Newell Dr. and Stadium Rd., Gainesville At University of Florida Adjacent to Turlington Plaza, Century Tower commemorates both the 100th anniversary of the founding of the University of Floridaâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;s parent institution, Kingsbury Academy in Ocala and in memory of all the University of Florida students killed during World War I and World War II. On the south wall of the Century Tower a plaque dedicates the tower to these students in March of 1958. The Carillon atop the tower contains 61 bells and was purchased in 1976 using several generations of student fees. Though it was a large amount of money to dedicate at the time, this purchase received unanimous support from the Student Senate.
Florida Field 1900 Block of University Ave., Gainesville At University of Florida Inside Ben Hill Griﬃn Stadium Located on a brick column, near the entrance to the Bull Gator Clubhouse, a large marker dedicates the Florida Field to students and alumni who lost their lives during WWI. This plaque was presented by the American Legion’s University of Florida Alumni, and lists the names of 17 men who died between April 6, 1917 and November 11, 1918.
Flavet Field Corner of Woodlawn Dr. and Museum Rd., Gainesville At University of Florida With the return of World War II veterans, the University of Florida struggled to provide housing for the large number of new students planning to further their education under the G.I. Bill. To meet this need, the university purchased 100 military barracks from nearby Camp Blanding and remodeled them as “Flavets” or Florida veteran housing. This provided apartments for married students and barracks that served as residence halls for single students. The actual dwellings no longer exist, but the UF Band Shell now stands on this site.
Van Fleet Hall
Stadium Rd., Building 0023, Gainesville Just south of O’Connell Center This three story building houses the military ROTC programs at the University of Florida and is named in honor of General James Alward Van Fleet. Gen. Van Fleet who graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 1915 and commanded forces in WWI, landed at Utah Beach on D-Day during WWII, and served as a general of the U.S. Eighth Army in the Korean War. Gen. Van Fleet was also head coach for the University of Florida football team during the 1923-1924 season.
Blue Star Memorial Highway
1601 SW Archer Rd., Gainesville At VA Hospital Corner of Archer Rd and SW 16th St Dedicated in 2007, this memorial is part of a national highway project to honor veterans. Located on the NE corner of the VA Hospital property, this monument was presented by District Five of the Florida Federation of Garden Clubs. The memorial in part reads, “A Tribute to the Armed Forces that have defended the United States of America.”
Korea & Vietnam War Memorial
Archer Rd. and SW 23rd Terr., Gainesville On Archer Road On Memorial Day 2002, the 136 Alachua County residents killed in the Korean and Vietnam Wars were officially recognized. A 40ft flagpole, plaques listing the names of each casualty, and 136 trees (49 Live Oaks, 44 Palatka Hollies and 43 Ale Elms) planted along Archer Rd were dedicated in memory of their sacrifices. Every year the local chapter of the Korean War Veterans Association ties a yellow ribbon around each tree to commemorate their fallen comrades.
Milton Lewis Stadium 1400 NE 8th Ave., Gainesville At Citizens Field On corner of 8th Ave. and Waldo Rd. The name of our local football stadium honors US Marine Corporal Milton Lewis, Gainesvilleâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;s first casualty in WWII. He landed on the island of Tulagi, August 7, 1942 with the First Marine Division and rushed a Japanese machine gun emplacement. Lewis received mortal wounds, but continued to rally his troops who successfully silenced the gun. He was posthumously awarded our nationâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;s second highest combat award, the Navy Cross, and a Navy destroyer was named after him. He is buried in the Evergreen Cemetery located in Gainesville.
VFW Flags and Eagle Monument
1150 NE Waldo Rd., Gainesville At VFW On Waldo Road In front of the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) meeting hall, a large eagle on a six-foot block of granite extends a powerful claw reaching out to all who served our nation in wars on foreign lands. The other claw grasps a bronzed tree limb expressing loyalty and service. This memorial is flanked by two World War II tanks and surrounded by five flagpoles displaying flags for each branch of our military and an American flag. Engraved in granite is: “May we all weather the test of time together and remain one.” The eagle also graces the front cover of this publication.
Milton Lewis Patio
1150 NE Waldo Rd., Gainesville Part of VFW On the north side As part of the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) meeting hall and replete with dozens of plaques honoring men and women from all branches of the armed forces, the focal point of the Milton Lewis Patio is a plaque dedicating the space to Marine Corporal Milton Lewis. It reads: “Gainesville’s first hero of World War II who was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross for his valiant action on the island of Tulagi, August 7, 1942, Gator Detachment, Marine Corps League.”
U.S. Army “C.R. Layton” Reserve Center 1125 NE 8th Ave., Gainesville The local Army Reserve building is named after Caleb Rodney Layton a lifelong City of Gainesville resident who served as a captain in WWI and Adjutant of the Florida National Guard from 1917-1919. Captain Layton was also instrumental in establishing Gainesville’s American Legion Post.
Veterans Memorial Highway
3880 NE 39th Ave., Gainesville Near Gainesville Regional Airport On 39th Ave. by Airport Commemorating veterans of all military branches, this memorial highway gives notice to motorists driving along NW 39th Avenue from the Gainesville Airport to I-75 that the State of Florida recognizes and honors the contributions of veterans to our nation. Signs are located in the medians at each end of the dedicated highway.
John R. Allison Air Terminal 3880 NE 39th Ave., Gainesville At Gainesville Regional Airport On wall inside terminal A commemorative plaque mounted on a wall within the Gainesville Regional Airport pays tribute to our local war hero, Major General John R. Allison, for whom the terminal is named. Allison served in WWII and the Korean War and was highly decorated for his service to our nation. He was considered to have had the greatest flying skills in the Air Force. Later he was appointed Assistant Secretary of Commerce by President Harry Truman, served as President of the Air Force Association, and became a Major General in the Air Force Reserve. He was a University of Florida engineering graduate and trained many other pilots.
Welcome Home Sign
3880 NE 39th Ave., Gainesville At Gainesville Regional Airport On exit road out of airport In 2005, Altrusa, an international community service group, dedicated a permanent welcome home sign to honor returning veterans and express the gratefulness of our community. Timely words read: To our Armed Forces Welcome Home And Thank you
Forest Meadows Cemetery Veteran Memorial Wall & Flag 3700 SE Hawthorne Rd., Gainesville At Forest Meadows Cemetery Follow driveway to the right Located on the SE side of the cemetery, this monument is easily identified by the large US flag flying in front of it. Dedicated on Memorial Day 1999, this red brick memorial honors all service personnel. Five large black granite markers depict each branch of the military. The monument stands in front of a section of the cemetery exclusively reserved for veterans and their spouses and reads in part: â&#x20AC;&#x153;Forest Meadows dedicates these sacred grounds in appreciation and thanks to the men and women of our armed forces.â&#x20AC;?
Waldo Veterans Memorial Park 14705 NE Waldo Rd., Waldo In downtown Waldo On east side of US 301 The Veterans Memorial Park located in downtown Waldo recognizes the contributions of policemen, firemen, and US military veterans. A large American flag serves as a background for this semi-circular memorial. The citizens that developed this tribute were volunteers and most of the material used in its construction was donated. Their patriotic devotion is a monument to the spirit of America.
Dickison and His Men Historical Marker 14705 NE Waldo Rd., Waldo In downtown Waldo Next to caboose Bordering the Veterans Memorial Park in the City of Waldo, a historic marker was erected by the Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials with cooperation from the Seaboard Air Line Railroad Company. It recognizes Floridaâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;s Confederate Captain John Jackson Dickison for his military efforts on behalf of the South during the Civil War. He and his men were considered the best soldiers in the State a that time. They were organized at Flotards Pond in Marion County (1862) and disbanded at Waldo in 1865.
Jefferson Davisâ&#x20AC;&#x2122; Baggage Historical Marker
14705 NE Waldo Rd., Waldo In downtown Waldo Next to caboose This unique historic marker, erected by the Florida board of Parks and Historic Memorials in cooperation with Seaboard Air Line Railroad Company in 1965, is located next to the Veterans Memorial Park in Waldo. After the dissolution of the Confederate Government on May 5, 1865, Confederate President Jefferson Davis fled south by railroad and was captured in Georgia on May 10. His personal baggage, as well as secret confederate papers, traveled separately to Florida. They were seized in a house near the current marker on June 15 by a detachment of Union soldiers. 23
U.S. Army Sgt. Raymond E. Jones Jr. Road Corner of US 441 and CR 235-A, Alachua At Santa Fe High School On US 441 sign This road was dedicated by the Alachua County Board of County Commissioners in honor of U.S. Army Sergeant Raymond E. Jones Jr. Sgt. Jones was killed April 9, 2004 in a rocket-propelled grenade attack while serving with U.S. Army forces in Bayji, Iraq. This road was selected because it leads to Santa Fe High School, his alma mater.
Lance Corporal Tomorio Burkett Road
Corner of CR 1493 and SR 121, LaCrosse In LaCrosse Dedicated by the Alachua County Board of County Commissioners in honor of USMC Lance Corporal Tomorio Demetrius Burkett. Cpl. Burkett attended local schools and was killed-in-action on March 23, 2003 while helping to secure a bridge on the outskirts of An Nasiriyah, Iraq. This road in LaCrosse leading to his family home was dedicated shortly after his death.
High Springs WWI – WWII Monument
110 NW 1st Ave., High Springs At High Springs City Hall On US 27 to the left of City Hall High Springs American Legion Post 97 dedicated this memorial on October 11, 1980 “In honor of those who served in time of war.” The memorial’s reverse side has a listing of all known High Springs residents who were killed-inaction during WWI and WWII.
Alachua Monument To All Veterans
1500 NW 142nd Ter., Alachua At Alachua City Hall By entrance The City of Alachua dedicated this memorial on May 28, 2007. It is located in front of City Hall and flies the American, State of Florida, and POW/MIA flags twenty- four hours a day. The memorial has a pentagon shaped monument with the inscription: “This monument is tribute from the City of Alachua dedicated to past, present, and future veterans of all Armed Services that have served and will serve in times of war and peace to ensure the freedom of the United State of America. The City acknowledges these veterans and commends them for their courage, bravery and sacrifices to make this nation proud and free. May God Bless America.” Next to the US flagpole is another monument with color plaques representing each branch of the military. In the background are two sculptures depicting sets of combat boots with inverted rifles and helmets resting on top. This is the international symbol showing respect to a fallen soldier. 25
Alachua Elementary Veterans Garden 13800 NW 152nd Pl., Alachua At Alachua Elementary School Walk NW from front parking lot
Alachua Elementary honored veterans by dedicating a special “Veterans’ Garden” on the school grounds. This grey granite marker is located in the garden area next to the school office and is dedicated specifically to Glynn R. Markham. Mr. Markham was a WWII navy veteran who served aboard the USS McCook during the 1944 D-Day Invasion of Normandy. Glynn was very active in local veterans affairs and was the founder of the Alachua County D-Day Veterans Group. He also arranged the school’s annual Veterans Day Ceremony and spoke to thousands of school children about our country’s role in WWII.
Haven Hospice Veterans Day Monument 4200 NW 90th Blvd., Gainesville At Haven Hospice By entrance
A small granite block honoring all veterans greets visitors as they enter the beautifully landscaped Haven Hospice, E.T. York Care Center located in The Health Park. Complimenting this memorial is an American flag flying high with an adjacent spotlight providing the illumination necessary for nighttime visibility. Carved on the memorial are these words: “On the occasion of Veterans Day this 11th day of November 2003 in recognition of all the patients, employees, and volunteers of Hospice of North Central Florida, we gratefully dedicate this monument in honor of all those who have dutifully served our nation. May their sacrifices never be forgotten.” 26
Santa Fe Memorial Flagpole
3000 NW 83rd St., Gainesville On soccer ﬁeld On south side of campus Dominating the west side of the Santa Fe College campus is a 30 x 60 foot American flag that offers a stirring, picturesque view of Old Glory flying high atop a 110 foot flagpole. The base of this memorial, which was dedicated on Flag Day, June 14, 2006, portrays evidence of a community mindful of our sovereignty and freedom with these words: “In honor of those who have served our nation in times of war and peace…in memory of those who have paid the highest cost for the freedom we hold so dear.” Three spotlights provide the illumination necessary for nighttime visibility, and the flag can be seen throughout the night by viewers on campus and millions of travelers driving by on Interstate I-75.
Santa Fe Patriot Circle
3000 NW 83rd St., Gainesville At Santa Fe College In front of Administration entrance The Patriot Circle that enriches the entrance to Santa Fe College (SFC) was dedicated on September 11, 2003. Brick walkways lead to the centerpiece harboring a large U.S. flag surrounded by 4 smaller flags representing the State of Florida, POW/MIA, SFC, and one for special occasions. Sponsored by the SFC Collegiate Veteran Society, this memorial is enhanced by a large plaque mounted in the circle honoring the memory of John Travis Rivero and Jeffrey Wershow who lost their lives in the service of our country in Iraq. A summation of the dedication follows: “Today we stand proud and united under those banners and dedicate this Patriot Circle to honor all of the 270 Santa Fe students who served in the armed forces. We are here to honor and respect them for what they stood for. May we never forget their devotion and sacrifice as we embrace the heritage of their giving and know that their legacy is truly the foundation of America’s spirit and greatness.” 27
U.S. Army Corporal Travis Rivero Avenue 5510 NW 27th Ave., Gainesville At Buchholz High School On street sign These two memorial signs will always be a reminder that United States Army Corporal Travis Rivero served his country with honor and paid the ultimate price for protecting the freedom we now enjoy. Corporal Rivero was killed on April 17, 2003 while serving with the U.S. Army when his humvee overturned near H-1 Airfield in western Iraq. Located near Buchholz High School, which he attended, these signs name N.W. 27th Avenue, between the intersections of 51st Street and 55th Street, U.S. Army Corporal Travis Rivero Avenue.
Ft. Clarke Historical Marker 9121 W Newberry Rd., Gainesville At Ft. Clarke Baptist Church
This marker was placed in the vicinity of Ft. Clarke Army Post, active 18351849 during the Second Seminole Indian War. The post was named for Lt. Henry Clarke, 5th U.S. Infantry and later became an active settlement that remains part of Gainesville today. During the Indian Wars, the following known posts were established: Ft. Brooks located near the mouth of Orange Lake Creek; Ft. Crane 7 miles north of Micanopy and named for Col. I.D. Crane, 1st U.S. Artillery; Ft. Drane 10 miles south of Micanopy named for Cpt. G.S. Drane, 2nd U.S. Artillery; Ft. Gilliand located near Newnansville; Ft. Harlee on the banks of the Santa Fe River named for Wm. H. Harlee, South Carolina Volunteers; and Ft. Walker located near Orange Lake named for Cpt. William H.T. Walker, 6th U.S. Infantry. Other posts were probably active during this period but historical information was not available. 28
Newberry Community Veterans Memorial
25440 W Newberry Rd., Newberry At Newberry City Hall By entrance This memorial located in front of Newberry City Hall was dedicated in 1988 by the mayor and city commission. The granite monument displays emblems of each of the five branches of the military and reads: “In Honor of those who Served.”
POW and MIA Memorial Plaque
I-75 mile 381 I-75 Paynes Prairie Rest Area A plaque located on the walkway of the I-75 Paynes Prairie Rest Area building is inscribed with these compelling and poignant words that recognize and honor the veterans who are missing or being held by enemy forces: “The light of freedom still burns brightly in our world today because of the service and sacrifice of Americas men and women in uniform. Our nation’s servicemen and women have fought the forces of tyranny and won victories for liberty, human dignity and the ideals of democracy. We remember with profound gratitude those who suffered captivity and those whose fate remain unknown…you shall not be forgotten.” 29
Alachua County Veterans Memorial
7400 SW 41st Pl., Gainesville At Kanapaha Park From SW 75th St., head east on SW 41st Pl. Alachua County’s premier veterans memorial came about after Mrs. Nina Stanley, widow of WWII veteran Thomas L. Stanley, attended a public meeting of the County Veterans Advisory Board. Ms. Stanley’s husband was killed-in-action and buried in a National Cemetery in Europe, and she wanted to know where the local Veterans Memorial was located so she could go and pay her respects on Memorial Day. Board members looked at each other and responded that Alachua County did not have such a memorial. Ms. Stanley expressed dismay and wagged her finger at the Board and proclaimed “shame on you, every hometown should have a Veterans Memorial.” Three years and $150,000 later Alachua County’s Veterans Memorial was ready for public display. Dedicated on Veterans Day, November 11, 1993, the memorial was christened “A Walk Through Time.” Each square foot upon the walkway represents one year in time. The walkway is 14 feet wide and 219 feet long and contains 10 individual monuments representing our nation’s 10 major wars starting with the Revolutionary War and ending with Operation Desert Storm. The name and dates of each war is etched upon the monument, and each individual red brick on top represents 1,000 lives lost. The ring of black marble around each monument represents the international sign of mourning. The names of those from Alachua County who lost their lives while in service are etched into the monuments upon the memorial. Over 260 names of local veterans have been written into the granite. Large granite markers alongside the concourse reflect the names of over 500 of University of Florida students who died while in service. The listing of names is a stark reminder to all visitors that sovereign freedom requires labor and sacrifice. In addition a plaque, behind the US flag, is dedicated to Jim McCawley and Doug Tanner founders of the Memorial. Alachua County’s Veterans Memorial has received national acclaim for its simplicity and educational value to our community. Thousands of area school children have visited the site to learn about the sacrifices veterans have made in service of our nation. Today the memorial is host to annual ceremonies attracting citizens from all walks of life coming to pay their respects.
Wiles Elementary School Freedom Shrine
4601 SW 75th St., Gainesville In the front entrance hallway Located in the lobby area of Wiles Elementary are reproductions of military historical documents. Included in this patriotic display are copies of U. S. Army Brigadier General Anthony C. McAuliffe’s famous handwritten reply of “Nuts” to WWII German forces requesting his immediate surrender. Also available for viewing are copies of both the German (May 7, 1945) and Japanese (September 2, 1945) Instruments of Surrender ending WWII.
Missing or Lost Markers Bronze marker dedicating row of trees in memory of WWI killed-in-action and placed “next” to Post Office in 1920. Marker in tribute to William Haisley Lynch originally located at 414 NE 2nd St in Gainesville. This bronze marker was “planted in honor of W. Haisley Lynch... who died so other might be free, WWI 1914-1919”. A plague installed along west side of CR 234 about one half a mile north of Hawthorne Road with the following words “this tablet marks the site of a battle between the forces of Col Daniel Newnan and hostile Indians on Sep. 27, 1812. King Payne, Seminole Chief and namesake of Paynes Prairie was killed during this battle.” If you have knowledge of any of these or other missing markers in Alachua County, please contact Alachua County Veterans Services at 352-264-6740.
Proposed Memorial University of Florida student veterans have submitted plans to build a veterans memorial on UF campus adjacent to the J. Wayne Reitz Union.
Produced by Alachua County Manager Randall H. Reidâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;s Communications Office under the direction of Mark Sexton, Communications Coordinator. Designed and edited by Mike Fara, Alachua County Public Information Specialist. Compiled and written by Bob Gasche, U.S. Marine Corps Veteran, and Jim Lynch, Alachua County Veterans Services Director. Santa Fe Memorial Flagpole photo by Kim Kendall, Santa Fe College Relations and Academic Affairs. All other photos by Mike Fara. Maps by Jimmy Collins, Alachua County GIS Specialist and Mike Fara. Paid for by the Alachua County Tourist Development Tax.